PDA

View Full Version : Birzman floor pumps, anyone?

Climb01742
11-04-2017, 11:03 AM
This floor pump caught my eye:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/birzman-maha-apogee-iv-floor-pump?skidn=BIR0002-GN-S160MAXPSI&ti=UExQIENhdDpCaWtlIEZsb29yIFB1bXBzOjE6NDpjY0NhdDE wMDAxNw==

Whether this model or others, I'd appreciate any experiences or opinions on Birzman floor pumps. Thanks!

charliedid
11-04-2017, 11:05 AM
The head on it (like many) gave me fits. It now has a Topeak dual head on it and works fine. It's not a workhorse pump...

It sure looks nice though.

dem
11-04-2017, 11:19 AM
I have that exact pump, personally I've had no issues with the head, and I'd say it is my 2nd favorite floor pump (I have a bit of a floor pump problem, I probably own at least 10 :) It is also probably the lightest weight pump I have.

I like the head because it is not angled, so you cannot torque the stem at an angle, and when you pull the barrel it releases from the valve without stressing it. No issue across a half dozen different tube/tubeless stems for me, but maybe I got real lucky.

I admit it is different than the clamp on/clamp off variety and many people seem to hate it.

(my favorite pump is a Topeak Ace + Hirame head, which is a ridiculously expensive combination :)

charliedid
11-04-2017, 11:27 AM
I have that exact pump, personally I've had no issues with the head, and I'd say it is my 2nd favorite floor pump (I have a bit of a floor pump problem, I probably own at least 10 :) It is also probably the lightest weight pump I have.

I like the head because it is not angled, so you cannot torque the stem at an angle, and when you pull the barrel it releases from the valve without stressing it. No issue across a half dozen different tube/tubeless stems for me, but maybe I got real lucky.

I admit it is different than the clamp on/clamp off variety and many people seem to hate it.

(my favorite pump is a Topeak Ace + Hirame head, which is a ridiculously expensive combination :)

I seem to be cursed when it comes to heads like these. Same same with the Lezyne heads.

You lucky :-)

Cicli
11-04-2017, 11:29 AM
I seem to be cursed when it comes to heads like these. Same same with the Lezyne heads.

You lucky :-)

Yep, those Lezyne style chucks are garbage. A Lezyne pump is the only pump I have ever thrown out, whole.

Bentley
11-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Don’t waste your money, I have had a few different ones, the old Silca still works great but the SKS is solid, I bought mine for like $35 delivered on The ‘bay.

TEMPLE
11-06-2017, 09:54 AM
I have that exact pump and I love it. I read the instructions, which helped a lot because I hadn’t used a pump like that before buying it. Use it on 8 or 9 different stems, no problems at all. It’s so good, I bought a Birzman mini-pump, too. Haven’t used the mini-pump yet (no flats) but it looks just as good. No, I don’t have shares in Birzman.

mcteague
11-06-2017, 10:42 AM
I have that exact pump and I love it. I read the instructions, which helped a lot because I hadn’t used a pump like that before buying it. Use it on 8 or 9 different stems, no problems at all. It’s so good, I bought a Birzman mini-pump, too. Haven’t used the mini-pump yet (no flats) but it looks just as good. No, I don’t have shares in Birzman.
Agreed! Mine works fine. You do have to follow the instructions on how to use the connector but it is really easy. Position on the valve, slide the collar forward and screw it on. To remove, just slide the collar back and it pops off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMI-KDw-8co

Tim

ColonelJLloyd
11-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Yep, those Lezyne style chucks are garbage. A Lezyne pump is the only pump I have ever thrown out, whole.

Kinda silly to throw out the baby. Anyhow, I'm not even sure Lezyne still makes a chuck like that. The last two new pumps I've seen use ABS-2 heads which are pretty nice.