PDA

View Full Version : Meivici ?

Titanium
11-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Hi all Serottaphiles, I am wondering if all Meivici's had the ST bearing system or was it an option? Thanks in advance for your imput.

SoCalSteve
11-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Hi all Serottaphiles, I am wondering if all Meivici's had the ST bearing system or was it an option? Thanks in advance for your imput.

None did. You had to have Ti chainstays for the ST system. Ottrott and Legend.

Titanium
11-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Got it ,thanks Steve!

happycampyer
11-03-2017, 08:11 PM
None did. You had to have Ti chainstays for the ST system. Ottrott and Legend.Not sure that this is the case (that one needs to have the ti chainstays. It's true that the MeiVicis didn't have the bearings, but from what I've heard this was a design decision. Some early prototypes had the ST bearings, but the folks at Serotta determined that it didn't improve the ride quality. So the MeiVicis ended up with fixed bolts. Or so the story goes as I've heard it.

SoCalSteve
11-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Not sure that this is the case (that one needs to have the ti chainstays. It's true that the MeiVicis didn't have the bearings, but from what I've heard this was a design decision. Some early prototypes had the ST bearings, but the folks at Serotta determined that it didn't improve the ride quality. So the MeiVicis ended up with fixed bolts. Or so the story goes as I've heard it.

I remember calling the factory once and asking the very question the OP asked. The answer I got was that it required Ti chainstays to work. They very well may have tried it with the carbon-carbon combo and realized it didn’t work...:confused:

We can always ask Ben. Actually Brian Smith would know. He posts here infrequently.

Titanium
11-04-2017, 06:25 AM
Thanks guys,I’m glad someone else was asking this question,but I think my question was answered.I am about to buy a used one and wanted to make sure that ,like the Ottrott ,it wasn’t that some had it and some don’t. BTW what does the ‘brain trust’ think a fair price to pay a private owner for a Meivici 2006 with Campy Record Ti group, Krsyrium ES Anniversary wheels and all good carbon cockpit FSA,Ritchey. Thanks!

SoCalSteve
11-04-2017, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys,I’m glad someone else was asking this question,but I think my question was answered.I am about to buy a used one and wanted to make sure that ,like the Ottrott ,it wasn’t that some had it and some don’t. BTW what does the ‘brain trust’ think a fair price to pay a private owner for a Meivici 2006 with Campy Record Ti group, Krsyrium ES Anniversary wheels and all good carbon cockpit FSA,Ritchey. Thanks!

I’m not sure that question can be answered accurately as prices are so all over the place. Condition, mileage, size, paint scheme, etc, etc, etc all play a factor. Oh, and the fact that each one was custom built and tuned for the original owner also plays into it.

I owned one once that was built for a racer. Was not a comfortable ride.

The price of high end bike stuff is in the toilet though and it is a buyers market, no doubt.

Also, the fact that there is no factory support may also play a part in the value, even though there are plenty of shops that can repair a carbon fiber frame set.

Satellite
11-04-2017, 09:56 AM
Are you able to ride it prior to purchase? As stated Meivici's had tubing options and was fully customizable for stiffness and geometry. Making it sorta a crap shoot. Mine is amazing! I don't have the build sheet but was told it's a stiffness mix of 8.5 and 10 tubing. It also has a super long headtube. Making it even stiffer but a little hard to fit the sole reason the previous owner sold it. The ride is amazing (Did I already say that?). I would really like to get the build sheet on my Meivici to bad Serotta Records are no more.

As far as value mine was a little rough definitely used and was $1200 frame fork only. Campy components are worthless to me. Iam somewhere North of $4500 with mine it's D/A-9000 running full ENVE cockpit and wheels. My wheels were expensive but worth it.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=212278

Goodluck try and ride it first.

happycampyer
11-04-2017, 10:43 AM
I remember calling the factory once and asking the very question the OP asked. The answer I got was that it required Ti chainstays to work. They very well may have tried it with the carbon-carbon combo and realized it didn’t work...:confused:

We can always ask Ben. Actually Brian Smith would know. He posts here infrequently.What I described was told to me by Brian as well as Scott Hock. What you were told is basically true--for reasons i don't think they could explain, the bearings "worked" (i.e., improved the ride, traction, etc.) on bikes with ti chainstays, but it felt worse when they installed them on MeiVicis. It's the same junction, so I think it was something of a mystery.