PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Project prescription glasses

cmbicycles
11-02-2017, 08:14 PM
I am looking at getting prescription sport glasses, as my insurance should cover frames/lenses and my everyday glasses are fine this time around. I was just going to get more contacts, but thinking glasses instead.
I have used contacts and a pair of Oakley Half Jacket XLJ glasses for years. Any recomendations on models to check out from Rudy that work well while riding? I saw the Rydon and Agon looked similar and come in a variety of lenses without adapters. My eye doc only carries Oakley and they didn't seem to have a much selection for prescription sunglasses for riding, so I'll try a few Rudy out when I go to another optometrist office nearby and just looking for recommendations from anyone who has done prescription with Rudy.

FlashUNC
11-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Big fan of the Noyz, but recently picked up the Traylx and its head and shoulders above the Noyz.

jasonification
11-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Are they for wider faces, and do they use the typical prescription inserts?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

cmbicycles
11-02-2017, 08:46 PM
I was specifically looking at frames that take direct lenses and not an adapter, I think single lense glasses like the traylx will only be able to take the adapter insert, which I'm not sure I prefer... but I'm open to thoughts either way.

FlashUNC
11-02-2017, 08:51 PM
The Noyz is dual lens and still a fantastic pair of glasses. I just found they tended to fog when stopped that the Traylx don't. Traylx are also a tad lighter.

I'm a big fan of any of Rudy's stuff honestly. Don't think you can go wrong.

jfranci3
11-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Which insurance do you have? If VSP, you can get a pair of Nike or Drangon glasses for close to free (by rx sunglass stds) on Eyeronic.com.

Also, maybe give though to transitions lenses for cycling if you ride early or late.

shovelhd
11-02-2017, 09:07 PM
I have the Stratofly SX, which fit my smaller face better than the regular Stratofly. Make sure whatever you get fits your face well, as cycling will test the fit in a major way. Their prescription program is expensive but of the highest quality. I have progressive, polarized, Transition lenses in mine. I don't ride without them, and I also use them when I am officiating.

makoti
11-02-2017, 09:07 PM
I am looking at getting prescription sport glasses, as my insurance should cover frames/lenses and my everyday glasses are fine this time around. I was just going to get more contacts, but thinking glasses instead.
I have used contacts and a pair of Oakley Half Jacket XLJ glasses for years. Any recomendations on models to check out from Rudy that work well while riding? I saw the Rydon and Argo looked similar and come in a variety of lenses. My eye doc only carries Oakley and they didn't seem to have a much selection for prescription sunglasses for riding, so I'll try a few Rudy out when I go to another optometrist office nearby and just looking for recommendations from anyone who has done prescription with Rudy.

I was thinking about this, too. I was trying to figure out if Flexible Spending Accounts can be used for this? I got regular glasses with it last year, so I'm thinking it should work.
I only have the inserts right now, but I pan to stay with the Rydon lens & frame. It's what I have now.

shovelhd
11-02-2017, 09:08 PM
I was thinking about this, too. I was trying to figure out if Flexible Spending Accounts can be used for this? I got regular glasses with it last year, so I'm thinking it should work.

Mine did.

djg21
11-02-2017, 09:43 PM
I have used contacts and a pair of Oakley Half Jacket XLJ glasses for years. Any recomendations on models to check out from Rudy that work well while riding? I saw the Rydon and Argo looked similar and come in a variety of lenses. My eye doc only carries Oakley and they didn't seem to have a much selection for prescription sunglasses for riding, so I'll try a few Rudy out when I go to another optometrist office nearby and just looking for recommendations from anyone who has done prescription with Rudy.

I’m on my third set. I like them a lot. I’ve used the Ekimovs and now the Rydons. I have the RX lens in my main pair, with clear photo-chromatic lenses. I use them all of the time, day or night. My old pair used RX inserts, which would fog up in humidity or in the winter while riding my MTB.

djg21
11-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Mine did.

Yes. I pay the maximum into my flex spending account and use it for my wife and I to purchase all our prescription eyewear. I’ve been told you also can use it for custom shoes if your Doctor recommends them due to foot problems.

Bruce K
11-03-2017, 03:39 AM
Rydons for me both as riding and shooting glasses. Been using them for many years and have 2 sets (1 each) plus my son had a set.

Very happy with vision and durability.

I got mine through Sports Optics in Denver.

BK

Bob Ross
11-03-2017, 04:27 AM
I have two pair of the Rudy Project Ketyons, with custom prescription lenses by Sports Optical . Due to the extremely strong prescription (myopia + astigmatism + a reading bifocal) Bret @ Sports Optical told me there weren't too many other models that could accommodate that thick a lens. Very happy with them, would buy again.

Walter
11-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Sports Optical did a pair of Rx Rudy Projects for me several years ago. Great place to work with and the glasses have ben perfect for me.

parris
11-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Are your half jacket's the original model or the newer half jacket ll ?

If they're the new model Oakley does make direct rx lenses for them. That's the route I took with my flakjackets.

The original halfjacket has been out of the lineup for several years and unfortunately there's nothing out there for it.

Mark McM
11-03-2017, 11:33 AM
My advise is that you first check that the dispensing optician understands the particular concerns presented with sports eyewear. From my experience, most opticians do not understand either the requirements for or the methods for doing the wrap and vertex compensation needed for many sports eyewear. Specialty companies like Sport Rx and Sports Opticals have founded their business on address the special needs of sports eyewear, but I haven't found any local optician near me that even recognizes the issues, let alone knows how to address them.

Jaybee
11-03-2017, 12:08 PM
I got really lucky in that my local ophthalmologist is also a cyclist who wore Rx, so he understood the wrap issues.

If you have a relatively high power Rx, I can recommend WileyX and Oakley as being able to handle a bit higher base curvatures with more advanced lens grinding techniques materials. This is relatively new (last 3 years?). Others may as well, I just don't have personal experience.

cmbicycles
11-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Are your half jacket's the original model or the newer half jacket ll ?

If they're the new model Oakley does make direct rx lenses for them. That's the route I took with my flakjackets.

The original halfjacket has been out of the lineup for several years and unfortunately there's nothing out there for it.

My 1/2 jackets are the original, I've had them over 15 years... surprised I haven't broken or lost them but I'm still on the original set of lenses. I asked my optometrist about them and he said he didn't think they did lenses for them... I'll check out a couple local options then see about how it would work with my insurance using sportsRX or the online sites.

Seramount
11-03-2017, 04:02 PM
can't say enough good about my Rx Rydon IIs...great glasses.

the Rydon is for normal/wide faces, the IIs are for more narrow mugs...

http://www.e-rudy.com/en/products/detail/SN942250D?gclid=Cj0KCQjwp_DPBRCZARIsAGOZYBT9qFk_vi gpPLD7K8-pVgo893DR__XLy_TQVXSv-nLErFgvalawXcAaAk3EEALw_wcB

choke
11-03-2017, 04:08 PM
I have two different sets of Rudy Rx, Stratofly SX and Ekynox SX. Both are direct lenses and I'm very happy with them. The Rx was done by Rudy Project. The Ekynox have their digital surfacing (Freeform TEK) and the clarity of those lenses is amazing IMO.

91Bear
11-03-2017, 09:12 PM
I got a pair of the Horus a few years ago and I've been happy with them.

https://www.sportrx.com/rudy-project-horus.html

mcfarton
11-04-2017, 04:08 AM
I am curious about cycling specific glasses. I have been using Nike rx sunglasses for years and have been happy. I can wear them for other stuff as they don't look like you should be on a bike. I will check out the brand's suggested above.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

DHallerman
11-04-2017, 08:21 AM
Rydons for me both as riding and shooting glasses. Been using them for many years and have 2 sets (1 each) plus my son had a set.

Very happy with vision and durability.

I got mine through Sports Optics in Denver.

BK

+3 as in I've bought three pairs of Rydons from Sports Optics over the years, and I'm also very happy with vision and durability.

Dave

54ny77
11-04-2017, 09:07 AM
i have prescription rydon's and they're great. i like the looks and they fit my goofy face pretty well. not cheap, but cheaper than oakley's. oakley prescription lenses are just an outright ridiculous price. last time i was quoted something like $400 or so just for the lenses. it's mainly because of the curve. less curve on lens = cheaper price.

parris
11-04-2017, 01:37 PM
cmb I also have an original pair of halfjackets and contacted Oakley 2 or 3 years ago about RX lenses for them. At that time Oakley did not do RX lenses their reason being that given the age of the frames there was a concern over breakage.

I don't know how strong your RX is but also be aware that several of the sport frames from the various manufacturers have limits of the RX that can be made as a direct fit lens due to the wrap of the lens/frame. We ran into this with our son. He's at aprox -4ish with his RX so most of the sport specific frames fell outside of what they could supply. We ended up going with a frame that has less curve without any trouble. Just something to be aware of.

C40_guy
12-11-2017, 12:40 PM
My advise is that you first check that the dispensing optician understands the particular concerns presented with sports eyewear. From my experience, most opticians do not understand either the requirements for or the methods for doing the wrap and vertex compensation needed for many sports eyewear. Specialty companies like Sport Rx and Sports Opticals have founded their business on address the special needs of sports eyewear, but I haven't found any local optician near me that even recognizes the issues, let alone knows how to address them.

I bought my Rydons from a local optician years ago. They said they had to make two sets to get them right.

BTW, you can order prescriptions made directly from Rudy Project. Prices seem pretty reasonable.

saf-t
12-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Another happy
(prescription) Rydon wearer here- gray lenses for general use, and a pair of polarized brown lenses for flats fishing

makoti
12-11-2017, 01:06 PM
Be careful with the Rydons. I was getting RX sunglasses & was told that, because of my pupil distance, I needed to use the Rydon II's with smaller lenses. The Oakely Half Jackets were also suggested.
EDIT: I was getting just reading inserts. May be different with full perscriptions

lhuerta
12-11-2017, 02:04 PM
....another vote for Sports Optical in Denver. I just tried them for the first time this fall and the results are unbelievable. I have a strong Rx and the lenses they grinded for me on a 10 base curve frame are perfect. No distortion, thin, lightweight, even/consistent tint,and perfect pupil distance and height. These guys are just masters of their trade. Can’t be beat for the price, service and expertise!