PDA

View Full Version : can anyone educate me on dynamo hubs?

Tickdoc
11-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Are they hard to use? loud? reliable?

Thinking of having a wheel built for my commuter and adding a dynamo hub added. My fork already has clips to hold a wire on the drive side, but I have no experience with these darnfangled things. My only dynamo driven light is from 1951 and is tire driven:eek:.

With a little searching I see expensive German ones and cheap(er) shimano ones. How much better are the expensive ones?

EricEstlund
11-02-2017, 12:30 PM
The Schmidts are lower drag than the Shimano ones, but not by much (for the top end Shimanos). If you have a race bike or are doing long efforts (randos, etc) I recommend the Schmidts. If you need to save a little money or are using it for city use where you don't mind a (small) bit of drag, the Shimano ones are great.

They don't make noise, don't require maintenance (outside of normal hub maintenance) and are very, very reliable.

I try to talk anyone not getting a strictly sporting bike into one.

*Oh, and you asked if they were easy to use. Yes. You don't do anything with the hub pretty much ever. Some lights have on/ off switches. That's about is. Don't forget to disconnect the light rise (you just pull off a spade connector or connection box). If you just leave the lamp on you really don't ever need to do anything with it.

jtakeda
11-02-2017, 12:35 PM
I have 3 dynamo light set ups.

1 shimano, 1 son, 1 sp.

They all work great and I have not had any problems with any but here are my opinions.

The shimano has the most noticeable drag, it’s also the ugliest. On the other hand it’s also the easiest to get and the cheapest.

Son is expensive, pretty, and th connectors are a little bit annoying. The drag is almost unnoticeable. I have my son hub connected to my light using a quick connect—ie solder the two hub side plugs to a single male connections and solder the two light plugs to a single female connection. It makes wheel swap, flat change etc way easier than unplugging the two plugs connected to the plug.

SP is also fantastic. Cheaper than son, equally as attractive in the looks department and easier to plug and unplug. The drag is the same as the son.

Honestly, price per value wise id choose the SP (and I have for my new 650b set I’m about to build). It’s 1/3 if the cost as son, easier to connect and the drag feels about the same.

Feel free to ask any other specifics I’ve used all 3 quite a bit.

ColonelJLloyd
11-02-2017, 12:39 PM
I'll just add that the tests I've seen show that some of the Shutter Precision hubs have shown to have slightly less drag than the Schmidt. They are also very reliable. There are some potential issues related to spoke/caliper interference if you're using discs, but that's an aside.

The SON hubs are the nicest for sure, but the SP hubs are the best bang for the buck.

I have built and used various models from SON, Shutter Precision, Shimano and Sanyo.

Tickdoc
11-02-2017, 01:17 PM
Thank you all for the quick and good responses.

I am using disc, and quick release fork, if that matters.

I plan on no big rides with this one, so it sounds like the Shimano may be the ticket. I am pleased to know there is no noise.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions when it comes time to install and fit lights, etc.

Kontact
11-02-2017, 01:23 PM
I'm surprised that battery and LED improvements haven't killed these off. Seems like installing gas light on a bike.

hummus_aquinas
11-02-2017, 01:24 PM
Here to throw in a vote for SP. I have used them on two different bikes and just ordered a pv9 for my road bike. They look way better than the shimano! Plug is on the drive side.

hummus_aquinas
11-02-2017, 01:27 PM
I'm surprised that battery and LED improvements haven't killed these off. Seems like installing gas light on a bike.

No way! Dyno lighting rules. Imagine not having to worry about charging or battery life; just get on the bike and ride. There's something about dynamo lighting that makes my bike truly feel like a vehicle.

JAGI410
11-02-2017, 01:28 PM
My 2 SP Hubs are still kicking! Left in the rain all day, never maintained, lights always on, etc. Having “always on” light is fantastic. I think one of my hubs is 4 years old and the other is 3.

zzy
11-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Can anyone recommend an affordable LED front light? Will be using a Shimano hub. Think I'm going to move to a dyno now that my commutes home are always in the dark and my super bright light's battery pack went into my spokes last week.

CMiller
11-02-2017, 02:00 PM
No way! Dyno lighting rules. Imagine not having to worry about charging or battery life; just get on the bike and ride. There's something about dynamo lighting that makes my bike truly feel like a vehicle.

Exactly, it really makes a big difference for me because I am awful at remembering to charge lights. Also, they are more permanently attached lights and less likely to get snatched while locking up bikes. Most rechargeable LED lights are designed for easy clip on/off, which is not what I want outside the library.

Dynamo lights + upright bars + locking skewers + basket = commuter/city bike

SP hubs work fantastic and are noticeably nicer than Shimano IMO, never owned a SON though.

Kontact
11-02-2017, 02:04 PM

I could imagine that at one time, but I now am in charge of a phone, laptop, cordless vac, drill, etc. It doesn't seem much different than needing to grab the right shoes, glasses, lock or helmet to go ride.

I get it, it just seems like the same charm as a land line or loose ball bearings.

ergott
11-02-2017, 02:09 PM
No battery powered light looks this good out on the road (sorry for the rather lame music).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS_SmJVH5Ks

Every battery light user that's tested my bike at night was floored at how much more useable the light spread is compared to a round spot.

jtakeda
11-02-2017, 02:19 PM
Can anyone recommend an affordable LED front light? Will be using a Shimano hub. Think I'm going to move to a dyno now that my commutes home are always in the dark and my super bright light's battery pack went into my spokes last week.

If it’s commute and not night rando ride I’d recommend the B&M eyc or lyt.
They’re led,work great, and around $40-50

modernfuturist
11-02-2017, 02:29 PM
I could imagine that at one time, but I now am in charge of a phone, laptop, cordless vac, drill, etc. It doesn't seem much different than needing to grab the right shoes, glasses, lock or helmet to go ride.

I get it, it just seems like the same charm as a land line or loose ball bearings.

...and sometimes people need all those tools on a ride. On a long rando ride, I need to keep my phone/navigation tools charged while also having adequate lighting for a variety of conditions. I could juggle different batteries and charging devices, or have it all plugged into my dynamo and not worry about it.

Might want to keep an open mind since randonneurs might be potential customers of your saddle ;P

false_Aest
11-02-2017, 02:34 PM
I've looked at the internals of the SP (OEM). Even the budget builds are nice.
If I were to spec a production bike with a dynamo hub this is what I'd choose.

If I were to buy for myself I'd get a SON.
If I were to buy for myself on a budget I'd get an OEM SP.

If I had to order from a wholesaler (JBI/QBP) I'd order a Shimano.

Also, everything Eric said.

sg8357
11-02-2017, 02:35 PM
The other thing about dynos, is the hubs last a very long time.
I am on 4th or 5th generation of dyno lights using a 11 year old SON
hub. Started with a pair of E6 incandescent lights, now have a B&M IQ-X

weisan
11-02-2017, 02:36 PM
No battery powered light looks this good out on the road (sorry for the rather lame music).

Every battery light user that's tested my bike at night was floored at how much more useable the light spread is compared to a round spot.

heck, it's even brighter and has better coverage than my car!

weisan
11-02-2017, 02:38 PM
Okay, who would like to sell me their SON/SP/Shimano hub?

Been dying to build up a dynamo wheel for my GADA bike. :banana:

Kontact
11-02-2017, 02:41 PM
...and sometimes people need all those tools on a ride. On a long rando ride, I need to keep my phone/navigation tools charged while also having adequate lighting for a variety of conditions. I could juggle different batteries and charging devices, or have it all plugged into my dynamo and not worry about it.

Might want to keep an open mind since randonneurs might be potential customers of your saddle ;P

I'm not being close minded. I'm remarking my surprise that new technology hasn't made dynamos go the way of cleated shoes with toe clips. Batteries and LEDs have seriously changed the way people live today.

Ken Robb
11-02-2017, 02:47 PM
My Riv Allrounder had SON when I sold it a few months ago. This was my "NO WORRIES" bike. 9spd Shimano triple with XT rear derailer, SunTour Power Ratchet bar-end shifters, canti brakes, 36 hole stout Mavic touring rims, 700x37 Performance tires with Kevlar belts, MKS Grip King flat pedals.
With this set-up I didn't have to worry about what I was wearing, how far i was going, what might break/fail or if I would get home before dark.

I hope they guy who bought it is having as much fun with it as I did. :banana:

jbreebs
11-02-2017, 03:12 PM
I've got a shimano hub, and though it seems to drag a bit while spinning in my hands, on the bike it doesn't seem very noticeable. That said, it's on a monstercross type setup with 29x2.2 tires, ridden mainly on gravel and limestone, so I'm probably wouldn't notice the drag as much as I would if I were riding it on pavement.

ptourkin
11-02-2017, 03:53 PM

Here then - best of both worlds: https://www.sinewavecycles.com/products/sinewave-cycles-beacon

Might turn into the most popular off road option now that Kerry is no longer hand producing K-Lites.

EricEstlund
11-02-2017, 04:51 PM
LED's did more to solidify dynamo's a s a fantastic option than they did to kill them. So long as batteries require some sort of charging, the appeal of the dynamo is going to keep on keeping on. I can install a front and rear light and not have to worry about them for essentially the life of the bike now. Lamp tech is progressing fast enough you'll want to upgrade decades before they wear out.

As an aside- since these things are made to meet certain European and Asian road use standards they are, for the most point, interchangeable. That keeps both backwards compatibility and future proofing pretty easy. So get the best you can afford, and if you can afford better down the road- no problem.

ColonelJLloyd
11-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Thank you all for the quick and good responses.

I am using disc, and quick release fork, if that matters.

I plan on no big rides with this one, so it sounds like the Shimano may be the ticket. I am pleased to know there is no noise.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions when it comes time to install and fit lights, etc.

FWIW, the Shimano DH-S501 is listed at 635g. I'm not sure if that includes skewer or not. It is QR only.

I weighed my SP PL-8X at 406g without the 15mm TA to QR adapter. The adapter weighs 32g. That's a significant weight savings and allows you to use the hub with QR or 15x100 forks.

marciero
11-03-2017, 03:51 AM
When I first got the SON deluxe I didnt know whether to build it up or put it in a glass case. I have three between mine and GF bikes, including one from 2012 that sees rain, snow, salt, etc. and is as smooth as when new.

The next one will be an disc SP. Cheaper, almost zero resistance when off, nice-enough looking, good quality, comes in TA CL disc

ergott
11-03-2017, 04:12 AM
Only thing missing from SON lineup is 15mm thru axle centerlock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NHAero
11-03-2017, 04:54 AM
Have a SON on my Big Dummy built in 2009, haven't had to do anything to it. Have an SP on my wife's commuter and seems fine, not as old. I have an IQ Cyo and hers is a more recent IQ version and it's a better light.
The Dummy, with lights, fenders, and its carrying capacity is the bike I take when I don't want to think about what I might need and when I'm coming home. It's a vehicle as opposed to a recreational item.

AngryScientist
11-03-2017, 05:12 AM
Question: so do these systems have any energy storage built in, or do the lights stop when the hub stops spinning?

ColonelJLloyd
11-03-2017, 06:05 AM
Question: so do these systems have any energy storage built in, or do the lights stop when the hub stops spinning?

Most head and tail lights have capacitors that will be full after less than a mile of riding and will keep the lights on for a few minutes, sometimes more. B&M refers to this feature as "standlight".

ptourkin
11-03-2017, 06:10 AM

See the Sinewave Beacon I posted above. It goes well beyond the standard stand light that all the German products have.

AngryScientist
11-03-2017, 06:10 AM
Most head and tail lights have capacitors that will be full after less than a mile of riding and will keep the lights on for a few minutes, sometimes more. B&M refers to this feature as "standlight".

got it. that's what i figured; clearly, you would want your tail light on at least when coming to a standstill at night, and preferably the headlight too. capacitor makes sense here.

palincss
11-03-2017, 06:43 AM

No, no and yes in that order.

palincss
11-03-2017, 06:46 AM

Show me a battery with infinite run time, that you never need to remember to charge, and that doesn't lose its capacity over time.

ergott
11-03-2017, 06:48 AM
Show me a battery with infinite run time, that you never need to remember to charge, and that doesn't lose its capacity over time.

Dyno hubs made cyclists the first hybrids on the roads, not cars. Now that's advanced technology.

palincss
11-03-2017, 06:55 AM
I'm not being close minded. I'm remarking my surprise that new technology hasn't made dynamos go the way of cleated shoes with toe clips. Batteries and LEDs have seriously changed the way people live today.

Leave LEDs out - the lights these dynamo hubs are powering are all LEDs, and yes they are fabulous, a genuine major improvement. As for the rest, "new technology" will never create a battery that does not need to be charged, or than has an infinite run time. In fact, given the power levels you need for headlights, current battery powered lights won't run through the night at high power. A 2 hr run time at high power may be fine for a commute (provided you can remember to recharge every single time) but it won't cut it for a long brevet.

palincss
11-03-2017, 06:57 AM

Most lights have a standlight feature that will keep the light on at low levels for a few minutes, running off a capacitor. That's long enough to keep you visible waiting at a traffic light.

Billybob62
11-03-2017, 07:11 AM

When you drive your car at night, would you rather:
1. Need to remember to charge the headlight before you leave
or
2. Turn the lights on when it gets dark?

Frankwurst
11-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Throw me in the pro dyno catagory as well. I have two, a Shimano and a Son. I love the idea of getting on the bike and going, period. I'd be a hard sell on any other lighting system.:beer:

cp43
11-03-2017, 09:37 AM

The B&M Luxos U has a small battery that will keep the light on when the wheel stops, and also to allow for a USB power outlet. I've been using one for a few years now, and it's been great.

Chris

jtakeda
11-03-2017, 09:41 AM
Most lights have a standlight feature that will keep the light on at low levels for a few minutes, running off a capacitor. That's long enough to keep you visible waiting at a traffic light.

I have 2 Schmidt edelux 2 and a b&m eyc.

They both have this stand light feature and it’s great.

Dyno sounds ridiculous and unnecessary and then you get one and fall in love with it.

jtakeda
11-03-2017, 09:42 AM
See the Sinewave Beacon I posted above. It goes well beyond the standard stand light that all the German products have.

These lights are rad but they’re also $350

azrider
11-03-2017, 09:46 AM

Neat.

Music wasn't "THAT" bad. :p Would you mind sharing picture of this particular setup?

bigman
11-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Technology has made the dynamo powered headlights much better, and while rechargeable lights have also drastically improved - it is great to know you always have light with dynamo systems.

I also have have used - SP, Schmidt and Shimano - the SP are the best value and also not heavy.

hummus_aquinas
11-03-2017, 10:11 AM
I've been meaning to asking this so I'll keep it in this thread since it's pretty active at the moment..

I have a luxos iq2 with the usb power. It isn't able to charge usb and power the light at the same time. Other than that sinewave (so sick) are there any other integrated usb + light systems that will charge and shine simultaneously? I think there's the power pack style that will wire in with any existing light but I was curious about the all-in-one setups that might be on the market.

Side note- the usb charging function was so crucial on tour. Gotta check my sites!

Billybob62
11-03-2017, 10:46 AM
I've been meaning to asking this so I'll keep it in this thread since it's pretty active at the moment..

I have a luxos iq2 with the usb power. It isn't able to charge usb and power the light at the same time. Other than that sinewave (so sick) are there any other integrated usb + light systems that will charge and shine simultaneously? I think there's the power pack style that will wire in with any existing light but I was curious about the all-in-one setups that might be on the market.

Side note- the usb charging function was so crucial on tour. Gotta check my sites!

Hub output is important in this. The Higher output (3 Watt) hubs from SP or Schmidt (SON28) are going to be better than the 2.4 Watt output hubs (i.e. SONdelux or the "S" series hubs from SP).

Either way, you're not going to get full light output AND charge your devices at speeds under about 13-16 mph.

doomridesout
11-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Tangential question:
Supernova E3 Pro 2 versus one of the B&M lights (running off a SONedelux SL hub). Thoughts on which light is preferred?

Billybob62
11-03-2017, 11:08 AM
Tangential question:
Supernova E3 Pro 2 versus one of the B&M lights (running off a SONedelux SL hub). Thoughts on which light is preferred?

They're both great - I think Supernova is a little heavier hence you want to make sure you use their mount. I think there are also compatibility issues with non-Supernova taillights.

I've used several variations of the B&M lights and liked them all (although they have had some problems with the Luxos). The Schmidt Edelux is also excellent and has an aluminum housing like the Supernova.

gomango
11-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Tangential question:

My wife runs a Supernova e3 with a SP dyno on her MAP.

Runs like a champ.

NateM
11-03-2017, 02:11 PM
I use SP hubs on a disc setup and a non disc bike.They are reasonably priced and work through year round riding,rain,sleet,snow,which means road salt.Easy disconnect for wheel removal.My road bike has a Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U which provides ample light with a really good beam that has a cutoff similar to car headlights.Doesnt blind oncoming cyclists.Good stand light,connection for rear light and usb.
http://www.starbike.com/en/busch-mueller-lumotec-iq2-luxos-u/?currency=USD&vat=hide&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjqDawJWj1wIVjQDTCh1bng49EAQYAiAB EgI5DvD_BwE

Another nice light is the REVO from Exposure,800 lumens,connection for rear light,easy quik release mount in case you need to remove lamp.
https://www.bicyclehero.com/us/exposure-lights-revo-dynamo-light-only.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxa6kxpmj1wIVyVmGCh3dCg BSEAQYASABEgJZr_D_BwE

I use this on my foul wx commuter,has small internal battery for standlight instead of capacitor,no on/off switch so light remains on until battery runs out something that bugged me but works well anyway.I've used both setups commuting for over 4 yrs,no problems.

dvancleve
11-03-2017, 02:21 PM
I have a rim brake SRAM QR dyno hub on my commuter, 5-6 years now (I think). I have never had an issue with it, it is paired with a low tech PB Flash. Basically the cheapest setup I could source for my somewhat lit commute...

Doug

hummus_aquinas
11-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Here's a shot of the parts that just came in. The SV9 is so small! Chapstik and coupon for Wi Spa for scale. Going on my good ol' Star Wars Font Gunnar Roadie (http://theradavist.com/2016/08/matts-gunnar-roadie-with-ultegra/).

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4522/38149504741_4223f42385_z.jpg

ergott
11-04-2017, 06:29 AM
Neat.

Music wasn't "THAT" bad. :p Would you mind sharing picture of this particular setup?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cycling/The-bikes/i-HwcksdT/0/1c20fb90/XL/Coffeegrinder%20bar%20setup%20%281%20of%202%29-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cycling/The-bikes/i-b4rrHSZ/0/fcb9f24e/XL/Coffeegrinder%20bar%20setup%20%282%20of%202%29-XL.jpg

oldpotatoe
11-04-2017, 06:32 AM

Thinking of having a wheel built for my commuter and adding a dynamo hub added. My fork already has clips to hold a wire on the drive side, but I have no experience with these darnfangled things. My only dynamo driven light is from 1951 and is tire driven:eek:.

With a little searching I see expensive German ones and cheap(er) shimano ones. How much better are the expensive ones?

What ever ya get, send it to me and I'll build it for ya!:)

smontanaro
11-04-2017, 06:47 AM
For me, a dynamo hub would be fine if I only had one or two bikes, but I have around ten, give or take. I couldn't afford to equip all of them suitably so that I could just grab one and go if it was dark, dusk, or dawn. I'd still need a reliable battery operated light setup. I have two of the Philips battery powered version of their Saferide lights which cast a nice German-approved beam (evsto, or however it's spelled).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ergott
11-04-2017, 06:53 AM
For me, a dynamo hub would be fine if I only had one or two bikes, but I have around ten, give or take. I couldn't afford to equip all of them suitably so that I could just grab one and go if it was dark, dusk, or dawn. I'd still need a reliable battery operated light setup. I have two of the Philips battery powered version of their Saferide lights which cast a nice German-approved beam (evsto, or however it's spelled).

I have two road bikes permanently setup for dark/dusk/dawn. I don't feel the need to have every bike I own ready for that purpose.

Tickdoc
11-04-2017, 07:00 AM
Here's a shot of the parts that just came in. The SV9 is so small! Chapstik and coupon for Wi Spa for scale. Going on my good ol' Star Wars Font Gunnar Roadie (http://theradavist.com/2016/08/matts-gunnar-roadie-with-ultegra/).

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4522/38149504741_4223f42385_z.jpg

looks like someone has been reading my mind. Looks like the "I don't have to charge my lights anymore starter pack ;)

Getting excited to put this bike together now.

unterhausen
11-04-2017, 07:02 AM
For me, a dynamo hub would be fine if I only had one or two bikes, but I have around ten, give or take.
I just got so used to having a light on a bike no matter what that I got a hub for every bike. Actually, the commuter has two since I have a dedicated winter wheel with studded tires. The one that hurt a little was the fatbike $$$.

I commute on my fatbike when there is ice on the ground. Lithium batteries stink in the cold, and my battery powered tail light has quit a couple of times on a very cold commute. Not good.

smontanaro
11-04-2017, 07:08 AM
I commute on my fatbike when there is ice on the ground. Lithium batteries stink in the cold, and my battery powered tail light has quit a couple of times on a very cold commute. Not good.

I use Eneloop batteries (NiMH, I think). I've used them down to about 0ºF with no trouble.

But I digress. Apologies.

smontanaro
11-04-2017, 08:15 AM
I have two road bikes permanently setup for dark/dusk/dawn. I don't feel the need to have every bike I own ready for that purpose. I want a light on all the time, just for visibility. And, since much of my riding is in an urban setting, I need that light to be higher than my handlebars. Perhaps the cost of all those hubs really isn't the biggest impediment to dyno lighting for me. Hmmm...

mistermo
11-07-2017, 08:57 PM
I'm a dynamo hub newb, but someone told me that the place making Shutter Precision hubs is now making identical hubs under a different name. Kasai.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/HU/HUDM

And for those bewildered by the SP codespeak, here's a good translator:
http://www.velolumino.com/shutter-precision-hub-dynamos.html

weisan
11-07-2017, 09:06 PM
I'm a dynamo hub newb, but someone told me that the place making Shutter Precision hubs is now making identical hubs under a different name. Kasai.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/HU/HUDM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152556836679

Anarchist
11-07-2017, 10:03 PM
I have two bikes (soon to be three)set up with dynamo set ups.

The Ultegra level Shimano hubs (3N72 or 3N80 or something like that) with B&M IQ-X lights and Toplight Line Plus rear lights.

As great as it is having the always there headlight I feel better about the always there, always on tail light.

I still have battery lights but honestly rarely use them anymore as I just love the dynamo set ups.

Frankwurst
11-08-2017, 08:53 AM
I have two road bikes permanently setup for dark/dusk/dawn. I don't feel the need to have every bike I own ready for that purpose.

If I only had two bikes I'd set one up with Dyno lights but like ergott I have several so like him I set a couple up with lights Really don't even need two just did it because the parts and pieces became available at a good price and i said why not?

mistermo
11-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Advice?

I'm about to begin commuting again (YAY!) on a paved rail-trail. As a former cylco-commuter on a trail like this (ie. no overhead street lights and cars), I found that a brighter beam in front caused me to lose peripheral vision. There were times I'd turn down my light to lowest setting, so that I could see the side of the trail, then would turn it up when I got back into streets and cars.

Also, as a part time runner on this rail trail, I'm perpetually annoyed by oncoming bike traffic with bright beams that blind me (and other runners). Really, it's the cycling equivalent of Harleys with too loud tailpipes-wholly unnecessary and rude to others.

So, as I consider a dyno rig for my commuter bike, what should I consider?

Hubs?
For faster paced commuting, say around 15-17ish mph, with stops and starts, is it better to use a 6V/2.4W system like the SP "S" or Schmidt SONdelux (anticipating higher rpm)? Or a 6V/3W version like the SP "P" or SON 28 models (slower rotational speed)?

Lights?
Yes, I like bright lights, but don't imagine myself using it too much for the aforementioned commute circumstances, except when occasionally in traffic. Any good suggestions for an LED light that permits hi/med/low settings? Bonus points if there's a USB charger, but I'm not gonna pay $300+ for that option as in the other post.

Any other factors to consider when selecting model?

Thanks for the advice and help!

saab2000
11-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Advice?

I'm about to begin commuting again (YAY!) on a paved rail-trail. As a former cylco-commuter on a trail like this (ie. no overhead street lights and cars), I found that a brighter beam in front caused me to lose peripheral vision. There were times I'd turn down my light to lowest setting, so that I could see the side of the trail, then would turn it up when I got back into streets and cars.

Also, as a part time runner on this rail trail, I'm perpetually annoyed by oncoming bike traffic with bright beams that blind me (and other runners). Really, it's the cycling equivalent of Harleys with too loud tailpipes-wholly unnecessary and rude to others.

Hubs?
For faster paced commuting, say around 15-17ish mph, with stops and starts, is it better to use a 6V/2.4W system like the SP "S" or Schmidt SONdelux (anticipating higher rpm)? Or a 6V/3W version like the SP "P" or SON 28 models (slower rotational speed)?

Lights?
Yes, I like bright lights, but don't imagine myself using it too much for the aforementioned commute circumstances, except when occasionally in traffic. Any good suggestions for an LED light that permits hi/med/low settings? Bonus points if there's a USB charger, but I'm not gonna pay $300+ for that option as in the other post.

The German dynamo lights aren't blinding to oncoming traffic. Just the opposite, in fact. By German law, they have shaped beams with an upper cutoff, like cars. They're far friendlier to other road users than 99% of battery lights, which, as you mentioned, are stupid bright and often aimed straight at oncoming road users instead of to the road surface.

All the upper end B&M lights and Edelux (which I believe has B&M internals) have fantastic beam patterns and are plenty bright.

Frankwurst
11-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Advice?

Hubs?

Lights?

You might find this of interest.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.php

jtakeda
11-08-2017, 11:56 AM
The German dynamo lights aren't blinding to oncoming traffic. Just the opposite, in fact. By German law, they have shaped beams with an upper cutoff, like cars. They're far friendlier to other road users than 99% of battery lights, which, as you mentioned, are stupid bright and often aimed straight at oncoming road users instead of to the road surface.

All the upper end B&M lights and Edelux (which I believe has B&M internals) have fantastic beam patterns and are plenty bright.

+1.

For your needs I’d recommend an SP hub of any type and light with a good beam and stand light feature.

B&M eyc comes to mind or if you want fancy edelux ii or B&M iqx