PDA

View Full Version : Internal/Integrated Headsets

saab2000
09-18-2006, 05:17 PM
I am one of the few here who likes the aesthetic of many internal headsets I see. Not all, but many. I like the clean lines.

Are there kits for custom builders to make or use internal headsets? I know King at one point made some type of internal headset, against their own wishes as I understand it, trying to adjust to market demand.

I know Serotta does not do it. Merlin also stopped. But for a while the Merlin integrated headset was quite neat. Not the high-rise, bulbous things near the end, but for a while they made a really nicely integrated thing which was noticable for its clean lines.

Builders here, I am not asking you to endorse or condemn the concept, but I am curious if it can be done in order to have a cleaner looking front end? Do your suppliers make such parts? How about King?

I know internal/integrated headsets have been discussed here ad nauseum, ad infinitum, et cetera. Inquiring minds want to know more.

chrisroph
09-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Jim:

My sample of integrated headsets is one and it the experience does not give me the warm fuzzies. My merckx leader was not holding a proper headset adjustment with its integrated pos. I took it to my trusty lbs and they refaced the headtube top and bottom, recut the crown, and replaced the crown race and the bearings and finally got the thing to work properly. Maybe this speaks more to merckx quality (the bikes ride great but can be a bit rough in their attention to detail) that the integrated design but, after this experience, the aesthetics of the old headset jumped up atmo.

Jeremy
09-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Saab,

The aesthetic question is obviously personal, but I think there is a reason that an "integrated/internal" headset is not very well suited to custom builders. The minimim ID of a headset bearing is approx 27.0mm for 1" forks and 30.0mm for 1.125" forks. The OD of the headset bearing will be at least 38mm and 41mm respectively. In order for the bearings to fit inside of the headtube, the OD at the ends of the headtube needs to be at least 3mm larger than the OD of the bearing. Most frames with an integrated headset have a "cup" in either end of the headtube. This means that the OD at the ends of the head tube has to be larger still. For an 1.125" frame, the OD of the headtube will be at least 45mm, and probably larger. This is huge! If the headtube is a straight tube, it would look very strange. The aesthetic answer is to radically taper the tube from end to middle to end, or to radically bulge the ends. Either approach dramatically limits the ability of a custom builder to spec the exact headtube length that they want.

A "clean" looking headtube is a personal aesthetic. I assume that most custom builders think that a normally proportioned headtube diameter at the proper length has the "cleanest" look. Integrated/internal headsets make this harder to accomplish. Couple this with the credible argument that integrated/internal headsets offer no significant functional advantage, it doesn't seem strange that most true custom builders (not just hand-built, but made to measure) have resisted the trend.

Jeremy

saab2000
09-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the good answer. I understand the functionality issues. But I do like the smooth transition from the head tube to the fork.

Just think it looks cool.

Anyone who can post photos/links might post some of the nice ones and some of the less nice ones.

musgravecycles
09-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Saab,

Yes, columbus has/had an internal Kit for steel. My experience with internals is that I'd rather not have one atmo...

I've seen at least three frames that were trashed because of the cheap FSA headsets blowing up...

Edit: images here of the columbus (pages 10-11):

http://bikelugs.com/col_steel_2005.pdf

stevep
09-18-2006, 07:59 PM
the nice, easy to install, easy to adjust, easy to replace relatively cheap and plenty available old fashioned headset is tough to beat.
works great, less filling.
the integrated stuff looks cool and may work well... but problems encountered can be very, very challenging to repair.

Jeff N.
09-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Do yourself a favor and LOSE that aesthetic appeal that you have for integrated headsets. They're just a plain ol' bad idea. Stay clear. Jeff N.