PDA

View Full Version : Talansky wins his first triathlon by 10 minutes!

54ny77
11-01-2017, 07:51 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lappartient-wants-to-reduce-grand-tour-teams-to-six-riders-news-shorts/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ31xNcgTJK/

Great interview here. Guy really sounds like he's got a solid head on his shoulders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2-3YNZbMNI

Sounds like he's heading towards being a pro triathlete, and he has a background in swimming & running before focusing on cycling. Good for him.

wallymann
11-01-2017, 08:52 AM
pulling a Steve Larsen!

http://www.rememberstevelarsen.com/img/4.jpg

54ny77
11-01-2017, 09:41 AM
yep, that's what the interviewer at kona was saying.

larsen was such an immensely talented rider. i raced against him as a junior for a handful of years, until he went into the elite ranks and no longer eligible for 16-17 bracket. the only time i was ever close to him in a race was at the start line....because when the start gun went off, it was buh-bye.... :p

pulling a Steve Larsen!

verticaldoug
11-01-2017, 09:53 AM
20 minutes in a wetsuit swim, when the pros will swim 17 minutes in a non-wet suit. He has a 2-3 minutes in the bike, but is 9 minutes slow in the 10k. He has a lot of work to do to get competitive.

He can make the race interesting by being a 2nd pack swimmer who can bridge the cap on the bike and pull up other runners.

batman1425
11-01-2017, 11:11 AM
He was getting all kinds of crap from the tri community saying that he is way over his head, tri is nothing like the TdF, the power profiles and duration are totally different, he's going to struggle with the efforts and energy/calorie management, he's unrealistic, etc. Classic mud slinging of Tri vs. Runner/Cyclist/Swimmer. I for one am glad he did well and showed that he as the basal athletic acumen to do well in this space.

Will it take time and diligence for him to get on terms with with the very best in the sport? Absolutely. However, he has a great base from which to build upon. I don't think he'll be winning Kona next year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up some solid results in the not to distant future and see the community start to take him seriously.

Drmojo
11-01-2017, 01:01 PM
went from Tri to TDF-(disgraced)
guess who:bike:

batman1425
11-01-2017, 01:13 PM
went from Tri to TDF-(disgraced)
guess who:bike:

Not sure what LA has to do with Talansky wanting to pursue something different than cycling. Plenty of examples of elite athletes successfully changing sports and doing very well after the transition. Just a few that come to mind:

Connie Carpenter
Rebecca Romero
Cameron Wurf
Hamish Bond
Sinéad Lynch
Clara Hughes
Eric Heiden
Bradly Wiggins (trying to make a go at rowing)

peanutgallery
11-01-2017, 07:20 PM
My understanding of Triathlon is rudimentary at best, but here are the keys that I've picked up over the years

1) Don't run into and crash another cyclist while riding your bike in the pool

2) Learn to pee on yourself

3) Procure SPD compatible flippers

4) Arm warmers with sleeveless jerseys are in

Spaghetti Legs
11-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Talansky certainly has shown he can crash a bike like a triathlete.

I wish him the best.

MattTuck
11-01-2017, 07:42 PM
He came from a running background, right? I just wonder how he's going to adapt to swimming. I'd be more than impressed if he's able to compete at the pro level in ironman distance Tri's. I have to imagine the physiological demands are similar, but not identical to those in cycling races, especially stage races -- which was his specialty, if you could call it that.

Even on the bike, I'm not sure how he'll do riding 100+ miles solo, unable to hide in a pack.

I do hope he is able to realize his potential in a way that never seemed to crystalize in cycling.

FastforaSlowGuy
11-01-2017, 09:18 PM
Let the guy have his day. Winning a local race isn’t the same as winning Kona. But you wouldn’t take a Kona winner and start him off at TdF. Besides, I’m mystified why Kona is the only benchmark for him. Just because he can ride around France for a few weeks doesn’t mean he’s a good marathoner. Maybe he’ll be the best Olympic distance triathlete in a generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drmojo
11-01-2017, 09:31 PM
I have raced bikes, triathlon, duathlon, running etc
And rode with Larsen in Davis.
Crossing over is great!
Variety spices things up
I merely mentioned LA as a crossover artist