PDA

View Full Version : Chris King buzz (some louder than others)

Makuman
10-31-2017, 08:14 PM
Can someone please explain why some king hubs are louder than other king huds? I have a buddy that purchased direct from CK and his hubs are awesomely loud. I have a set from wheelbuilder and are way quieter. I have another set off eBay and those are even quieter. I hate to admit it but buy kings purely for the buzz😄lol!

Cicli
11-01-2017, 04:19 AM
The lube used for one thing.
I have also found that the rim and frame seems to amplify the noise from some hubs. Carbon seems louder to me.

mktng
11-01-2017, 05:29 AM
i mean. the sound changes over time. due to use..maintenance or lack of maintenance.

Mikej
11-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Classics are much louder than R45's due to increased number of engagement points on the Classics. But, yes, as others have noted, recently greased or newer hubs are usually quieter, if that means anything.

echelon_john
11-01-2017, 08:33 AM
From the ice age to the dole age
There is but one concern
I've just discovered:
Some girls are bigger than others
Some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers

ColonelJLloyd
11-01-2017, 08:58 AM
^ this was the ear worm I had immediately upon reading the thread title.

jh_on_the_cape
11-01-2017, 10:11 AM
lube.
mine were pretty quiet, and dragging so I took it apart and cleaned all the gunk and stuff out and relubed and it's much louder.
thinner lube = louder. I used a very thin motor oil. 0w-40 i think. but needs more frequent maintenance than a more viscous oil

velofinds
11-01-2017, 06:47 PM
From the ice age to the dole age
There is but one concern
I've just discovered:
Some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers

Perfect.

I'll go listen to The Queen is Dead now :hello:

Makuman
11-01-2017, 07:47 PM
lube.
mine were pretty quiet, and dragging so I took it apart and cleaned all the gunk and stuff out and relubed and it's much louder.
thinner lube = louder. I used a very thin motor oil. 0w-40 i think. but needs more frequent maintenance than a more viscous oil

Thank you! I shall try that! Thank you for the music lesson also!