PDA

View Full Version : OT - iPhone X

MikeD
10-31-2017, 04:24 PM
Is facial recognition going to work with cycling glasses and helmet on? Is it secure? (I had an Android phone with facial recognition some years back, and it could be fooled with a photo of oneself.)

What is this mindset with Apple anyway, removing phone features? Why couldn't they put a home button/fingerprint reader on the back of the phone? I'm still not liking removal of the headset jack on my iPhone 7.

CunegoFan
10-31-2017, 04:43 PM
I was all set to buy the X. The Plus is ridiculously too large. The X promised larger screen size than the 7 but in almost the same size. And it would have the dual cameras that Apple pissed me off by only putting them on the Plus.

I am not buying the IPhone X because of FaceID. I don't see how it can be as convenient as TouchID and a version 1.0 product from Apple does not seem like a good bet--especially these days when Apple's attention to detail seems to be slipping. Something as simple as a calculator app doesn't work? Really?

FaceID uses a three dimensional representation of your face, so a 2D photo should not work. The IR should go through most glasses. As your face changes, like growing a beard, the software adapts to the changes. No word on what happens when you suddenly shave it off. :) Early reviews are mixed when it comes to lighting conditions.

zmudshark
10-31-2017, 04:45 PM
What will you give me for my 6S?

Sounds like a 6S is what you really want.

Aaron O
10-31-2017, 06:09 PM
So far reviewers have said Facial Id is intuitive and convenient, and it has depth perception which apparently makes it a very different animal than the android attempt. I get mine Friday and will report...I'm not an early adopter type and am a bit nervous.

saab2000
10-31-2017, 06:26 PM
Meanwhile, my 4-year old 5S soldiers on. :banana:

I may get the 8, I mean 7S.

Aaron O
10-31-2017, 06:59 PM

I may get the 8, I mean 7S.

My 3 year old 6 has a wonky battery, is finicky over charge cables and is slowing down. I first wanted to replace it 6 months ago, but have been holding out.

djg21
10-31-2017, 07:26 PM
I was all set to buy the X. The Plus is ridiculously too large. The X promised larger screen size than the 7 but in almost the same size. And it would have the dual cameras that Apple pissed me off by only putting them on the Plus.

I am not buying the IPhone X because of FaceID. I don't see how it can be as convenient as TouchID and a version 1.0 product from Apple does not seem like a good bet--especially these days when Apple's attention to detail seems to be slipping. Something as simple as a calculator app doesn't work? Really?

FaceID uses a three dimensional representation of your face, so a 2D photo should not work. The IR should go through most glasses. As your face changes, like growing a beard, the software adapts to the changes. No word on what happens when you suddenly shave it off. :) Early reviews are mixed when it comes to lighting conditions.

I’m definitely in. But I’m going to wait for a month or two while Apple irons out the bugs in the iOS. I’ve been using betas on my iPhone 7, now up to 11.2, and they have been stable enough, but with new hardware too I’m reluctant to be too early of an adapter.

Aaron O
10-31-2017, 07:28 PM
I’m definitely in. But I’m going to wait for a month or two while Apple irons out the bugs in the iOS. I’ve been using betas on my iPhone 7, now up to 11.2, and they have been stable enough, but with new hardware too I’m reluctant to be too early of an adapter.

That's the strategy I've always employed and it's gone well.

jlwdm
10-31-2017, 07:30 PM
I am due for a new iPhone, but I have not seen any reason to get rid of my 6S. Some years ago I would watch closely when a new iPhone was announced, but for a few years I have not even cared. A little better camera each release and a few other improvements but nothing seems significant to me. Facial recognition does not seem better than fingerprint recognition.

I wish some of the screens looked better. For example the calculator and hone keypad are cheap looking.

I carry my phone in a front pocket of my pants so I do not want a phone that is too large.

Jeff

Tickdoc
10-31-2017, 07:46 PM
I don’t need a new phone...I don’t want a. New phone. Current is a 6.

I notice mine goes wonky every time a new one comes out, though.

Hmmm....it seems awfully odd to have little glitches pop up when the phone has been trouble free since purchase.

saab2000
10-31-2017, 07:48 PM
My 3 year old 6 has a wonky battery, is finicky over charge cables and is slowing down. I first wanted to replace it 6 months ago, but have been holding out.

My battery is not nearly as good as it once was. That said, with judicious charging and keeping it pretty full, it does OK. As to the charge cables, get some high pressure air to blow out the charge port. I did that a couple weeks ago and it's about 90% better on charging. That charge port fills with lint and dust. Blow it out and it will be way better.

My 5S at four years old is infinitely better than my 3G was at two years old. It was nearly unusable. I went to an Android phone and immediately regretted that decision, though I lived with it for over two years.

Since the advent of modern smart phones with the original iPhone, I've only had three phones. I'll likely get an iPhone 8 and then the next generation of the X. For me the iPhone 'S' models have been the ones to get and the 8 is just a 7S with a different name.

Tony T
10-31-2017, 08:08 PM
Is facial recognition going to work with cycling glasses and helmet on? Is it secure? (I had an Android phone with facial recognition some years back, and it could be fooled with a photo of oneself.)

What is this mindset with Apple anyway, removing phone features? Why couldn't they put a home button/fingerprint reader on the back of the phone? I'm still not liking removal of the headset jack on my iPhone 7.

If it does not recognize you with the helmet and sunglasses, you can temporarily turn it off:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-disable-face-id-on-the-iphone-x/
Article also addresses your question regarding security.

Me, I'm happy with my iPhone SE

sitzmark
10-31-2017, 08:48 PM
May want to check with Apple - I believe some of the 5 series batteries were confirmed faulty and have been replaced under warranty. Recall checking on that for a friend who's S/N was not affected.

I'm on 7 and have seen battery life degrade with iOS upgrade. Need to dig in and find what apps are sucking background power differently and reconfigure. Only issue with not going to X is a resale question - 8 is likely to depreciate rapidly. Inductive charging may help save resale, but other than that and some zip to the chip the 8 is not a real-world major step up.

My battery is not nearly as good as it once was. That said, with judicious charging and keeping it pretty full, it does OK. As to the charge cables, get some high pressure air to blow out the charge port. I did that a couple weeks ago and it's about 90% better on charging. That charge port fills with lint and dust. Blow it out and it will be way better.

My 5S at four years old is infinitely better than my 3G was at two years old. It was nearly unusable. I went to an Android phone and immediately regretted that decision, though I lived with it for over two years.

Since the advent of modern smart phones with the original iPhone, I've only had three phones. I'll likely get an iPhone 8 and then the next generation of the X. For me the iPhone 'S' models have been the ones to get and the 8 is just a 7S with a different name.

jlwdm
10-31-2017, 09:10 PM
May want to check with Apple - I believe some of the 5 series batteries were confirmed faulty and have been replaced under warranty. Recall checking on that for a friend who's S/N was not affected.

I had my 6S battery recalled. It would be at 40% and just shut down.

Jeff

Elefantino
10-31-2017, 11:19 PM
The iPhone Nygma model won't need facial recognition because it will be implanted in your brain. That's what I'm holding out for.

Aaron O
11-01-2017, 10:04 AM

This is a different thing...it's picky about cords...and sometimes if you switch cords, you have to reboot the phone for it to recognize that cord.

Marc40a
11-01-2017, 10:31 AM
That sounds like a flawed cord.

I was having intermittent problems and replaced not one but two ancient cords. One at the office, one in the car.

Aaron O
11-01-2017, 10:32 AM
That sounds like a flawed cord.

I was having intermittent problems and replaced not one but two ancient cords. One at the office, one in the car.

Nahhh...same issue with several cords.

jlwdm
11-01-2017, 12:44 PM
As Saab says you need to keep the charging port clean or you can have problems charging. You will think you have a bad cord. You can clean some out with a paper clip and blow some out but at the Apple store they have some device in the back that will get out lint that you do not even know is there.

Jeff

ojingoh
11-01-2017, 03:05 PM
This is a different thing...it's picky about cords...and sometimes if you switch cords, you have to reboot the phone for it to recognize that cord.

This. My 6 plus did this too, swapped around cords etc. compressed air fixed it.

Hank Scorpio
11-01-2017, 07:25 PM
I have you all beat. I am still on a 5s but this last iOS is killing it. Battery drains in a few hours and often I have to hit the home button multiple times for it even to "wake up" This was a NOS warranty replacement from Apple as of last February.

denapista
11-01-2017, 07:55 PM
I don’t need a new phone...I don’t want a. New phone. Current is a 6.

I notice mine goes wonky every time a new one comes out, though.

Hmmm....it seems awfully odd to have little glitches pop up when the phone has been trouble free since purchase.

THIS! Though Apple won't confirm it.. I just don't see how a brand can release an update to apply to a number of different phones, all with different processors and speeds. If the new IOS11 is built around the new fastest processor, what do you think will happen to the iphone6?

My iphone 6 is crapafter updating to IOS 11. When I type, nothing happens and then all of a sudden the words appear and accidently send. My phone is so glitchy now. Apple went downhill, but it's forcing me to stay off of my phone anyhow.

R3awak3n
11-01-2017, 07:55 PM
I wanted the X but I just did not want to spend $999 on it (plus a case + tax + insurance (you have to get it on a $1000 phone), you will be at like $1400. I also don't want to be the guy with the X...

I ended up getting an 8 (was on the 6 plus and went down to just 8... wanted a smaller phone and the + is $800 so I would have probably just gone to the X for $200 more).

I really like my 8, its almost a perfect phone. I would still take the X over the 8 but would really miss the home button. Hell, I miss the old home button, the one that actually clicked. I hate that I can't use my phone now with gloves.

msriddle
11-01-2017, 08:09 PM
I love my 6s, no way I'm doing the iOS 11 update though. I'll wait for a smoking deal on the 7.

Aaron O
11-01-2017, 09:02 PM
I wanted the X but I just did not want to spend $999 on it (plus a case + tax + insurance (you have to get it on a $1000 phone), you will be at like $1400. I also don't want to be the guy with the X...

I ended up getting an 8 (was on the 6 plus and went down to just 8... wanted a smaller phone and the + is $800 so I would have probably just gone to the X for $200 more).

I really like my 8, its almost a perfect phone. I would still take the X over the 8 but would really miss the home button. Hell, I miss the old home button, the one that actually clicked. I hate that I can't use my phone now with gloves.

Who is the guy with the X?

R3awak3n
11-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Who is the guy with the X?

ahaha, the guy that will get a lot more attention that the guy with the 8/7/6.

also the guy that just spend $1200+ for a phone.

the guy that won't shut up about his iphone.

these are all guys I know and I am friends with. Its cool if you want to be that guy :) except stop telling me about the damn phone

Wayne77
11-01-2017, 10:34 PM
If they released a phone the size of the 5, as slim as an iPod touch, with an AMAZING camera, a headphone jack, and a screen that doesn't break if you look at it wrong, I'd be all over it. I'm done with large screen phones. Phones that look like you're calling with an iPad mini next to your ear are so 2011. If I want to do anything with images or video I'll use a tablet. Just need something slim that takes up minimal space in jersey pocket.

saab2000
11-01-2017, 10:44 PM
There's nothing wrong with my battery. It just doesn't last as long today as it did four years ago. That's hardly surprising, especially given the usage I put my phone through.

This iPhone 5S would easily be one of the best consumer consumer products I've ever bought. It has been durable and still works 95% as well as it did the I got it. It's slightly slower but not so slow that it's a deal breaker and the battery life is shorter. But in both of those categories it has wildly exceeded my past experience with an iPhone (3G) and a Motorola Razr.

I'm not going to try to get something covered under warranty. It has degraded but slower than I would have expected.

I hope any future iPhone I get is as satisfying to use and as durable as my iPhone 5S.

My only real gripe is the IOS changes that have, IMHO, made the home button and Touch ID less user friendly. Their changes to these functions have been frustrating.

oldpotatoe
11-02-2017, 05:47 AM

Then just don't use it, turn it off..It's an option not a requirement.

oldpotatoe
11-02-2017, 05:50 AM
THIS! Though Apple won't confirm it.. I just don't see how a brand can release an update to apply to a number of different phones, all with different processors and speeds. If the new IOS11 is built around the new fastest processor, what do you think will happen to the iphone6?

My iphone 6 is crapafter updating to IOS 11. When I type, nothing happens and then all of a sudden the words appear and accidently send. My phone is so glitchy now. Apple went downhill, but it's forcing me to stay off of my phone anyhow.

I have a 6s+. just updated, works fine...for info.

Aaron O
11-02-2017, 07:36 AM
ahaha, the guy that will get a lot more attention that the guy with the 8/7/6.

also the guy that just spend $1200+ for a phone.

the guy that won't shut up about his iphone.

these are all guys I know and I am friends with. Its cool if you want to be that guy :) except stop telling me about the damn phone

I guess I'll just be the guy with a phone he wants because of the battery and camera mostly...I don't think I know anyone who calls attention to their phone, but I'll trust that it happens.

Keith A
11-02-2017, 07:44 AM

I may get the 8, I mean 7S.Same for me, my 5s is still working adequately, although my battery life isn't as good as it used to be. I really like the smaller size phone as it fits in my pockets easily. Have you upgraded to IOS 11? I'm staying away from this on all of our Apple devices for now.

saab2000
11-02-2017, 07:52 AM
Same for me, my 5s is still working adequately, although my battery life isn't as good as it used to be. I really like the smaller size phone as it fits in my pockets easily. Have you upgraded to IOS 11? I'm staying away from this on all of our Apple devices for now.

I have updated. There appears to be an incremental slowing of the phone as a result but it's not disastrous. I do it largely for security purposes. I do some online business and banking and I want the latest security protocols.

The lag of touching an icon and the response is really annoying but only an annoyance. These software updates on my old 3G (admittedly a decade ago) and my old Motorola rendered these devices essentially unusable. my 5S is still completely usable.

Tony T
11-02-2017, 08:08 AM
Here's a good write up on: iOS 11 on the iPhone 5S: Slower, but not quite slow (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/ios-11-on-the-iphone-5s-slower-but-not-quite-slow/)

Should you update?

I could understand wanting to hang around on iOS 10 if you have an iPhone 5S. Apple's oldest supported iPhone indisputably loses some of its pep in the move to iOS 11, and while it gets a lot of the same things as other newer devices, it does miss out on things like ARKit, the improved Siri voice, and some contextual Intelligence features.

But as I do every year, for most people I would come down in favor of updating. The iPhone 5S is slower with iOS 11, sure, but it's not as slow as the iPhone 4S was with iOS 8 or 9, or even as slow as the iPhone 5 is with iOS 10 most of the time. And as we mentioned, you still get a bunch of new iOS 11 features, and you're bound to find something worth upgrading for in that list.

Even more importantly, though, you need to be on iOS 11 to get new security updates at this point. Apple only very, very rarely issues any kind of patch for older iOS versions after the newest one is out, so the first disclosed vulnerabilities that come to light after today are only going to get patched in iOS 11. Really, practically, you can probably afford to wait around until iOS 11.1 barring any major catastrophes—those updates usually come out toward the end of October—but in the long run it's not safe or responsible to use old unpatched operating systems indefinitely.

So, update. If not today, then soon. The iPhone 5S gets a little slower, but that's how it goes when the oldest hardware that runs an operating system is only 20 or 25 percent as fast as the most recent hardware. It'll never be as fast as it was, but it's fast enough for a budget or hand-me-down phone, and it keeps doing new things; that's an acceptable trade-off.

Keith A
11-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Thanks Tony.

saab2000
11-02-2017, 08:22 AM
I find the new podcast interface and usability less friendly in IOS 11, that's for sure. I listen to a lot of podcasts and find the interface cumbersome.

This is my biggest gripe about most of these updates. They add complexity, not simplicity. I don't think Steve Jobs would allow all of the garbage and gimmickry that's now included in these updates. I won't call them upgrades. They're not.

I don't hate Apple. On the contrary. But change for the sake of change every six to twelve months isn't good.

Aaron O
11-02-2017, 08:24 AM
I find the new podcast interface and usability less friendly in IOS 11, that's for sure. I listen to a lot of podcasts and find the interface cumbersome.

This is my biggest gripe about most of these updates. They add complexity, not simplicity. I don't think Steve Jobs would allow all of the garbage and gimmickry that's now included in these updates. I won't call them upgrades. They're not.

I don't hate Apple. On the contrary. But change for the sake of change every six to twelve months isn't good.

+1...that's one of the reasons I went to Apple to begin with...no more constant microsoft tweaks. I agree that they aren't what they were.

R3awak3n
11-02-2017, 08:29 AM
I guess I'll just be the guy with a phone he wants because of the battery and camera mostly...I don't think I know anyone who calls attention to their phone, but I'll trust that it happens.

I mean, there is a reason apple sells tons of phones every year, people love to show off their new phone. The X will be a fashion accessory. The harder it is to get, the more people want it.

That said, camera is great, screen is great, battery is fine. I think it will be a good phone... home button will be missed.

coffeecake
11-02-2017, 08:42 AM

Agreed. It's nice to hear someone else echo this complaint. I was worried I was being all retro-grouchy (not that there's anything wrong with that). I find the new podcast app clunky and less functional. And I've been using it daily for three weeks, so it's not like I'm just not yet adjusted to the new layout.

Aaron O
11-02-2017, 08:43 AM
I mean, there is a reason apple sells tons of phones every year, people love to show off their new phone. The X will be a fashion accessory. The harder it is to get, the more people want it.

That said, camera is great, screen is great, battery is fine. I think it will be a good phone... home button will be missed.

I think the reason they sell so many phones is because they make really good phones that synchronize well with their other products. I don't consider my phone a fashion accessory...and I don't know anyone else who does either. It's a phone...it's a business tool. I picked what I think is the best tool for the job. I mean there are early adopter types who get excited because they like toys...but we all have a toy we like and prioritize.

I think maybe the issue is on your end.

Climb01742
11-02-2017, 09:24 AM
My iPhone 6 is still meeting all my needs and I love the size/weight. If I took more photos, I might be tempted to upgrade.

I stay with a Apple for a few reasons. All my Apple devices work well for me and I'm committed, for better of worse, to the Apple ecosphere. I may be unusual, but of my Apple products, my phone is actually the one I use the least. It's the other Apple stuff that keeps me loyal.

djg21
11-02-2017, 09:28 AM
I have you all beat. I am still on a 5s but this last iOS is killing it. Battery drains in a few hours and often I have to hit the home button multiple times for it even to "wake up" This was a NOS warranty replacement from Apple as of last February.

It’s not difficult to change the battery. There are instructional videos on YouTube, and you can easily find battery replacement kits with batteries and necessary tools on eBay, or using Google. If you’re happy with your older iPhones but the battery no longer holds a full charge, this is a decent and relatively inexpensive option.

R3awak3n
11-02-2017, 09:41 AM
I think the reason they sell so many phones is because they make really good phones that synchronize well with their other products. I don't consider my phone a fashion accessory...and I don't know anyone else who does either. It's a phone...it's a business tool. I picked what I think is the best tool for the job. I mean there are early adopter types who get excited because they like toys...but we all have a toy we like and prioritize.

I think maybe the issue is on your end.

hmmmm, ok. You are seriously crazy if you don't think the iphone is a status symbol. Specially the $999 iphone.

The iphone 6 is similar to the 7, they still sold a crap load of 7s. I guarantee you people are upgrading to the X and its not much different than the 7. As a business tool... come on, you could do the same thing on the 7 as you can on the X, yet it costs $400 more. What kind of business does someone do that needs an iphone X? The plus is the same phone as the X, minus the screen and being a bit bigger....

Look, its cool, if you want and buy the X. But you just can't deny that its a fashion accessory for some... They are probably selling on ebay for double right now, you think those people are paying those prices because they need the phone? Its the whole, I have you don't have thing... It works and apple knows it.

Aaron O
11-02-2017, 09:48 AM
hmmmm, ok. You are seriously crazy if you don't think the iphone is a status symbol. Specially the $999 iphone.

The iphone 6 is similar to the 7, they still sold a crap load of 7s. I guarantee you people are upgrading to the X and its not much different than the 7. As a business tool... come on, you could do the same thing on the 7 as you can on the X, yet it costs $400 more. What kind of business does someone do that needs an iphone X? The plus is the same phone as the X, minus the screen and being a bit bigger....

Look, its cool, if you want and buy the X. But you just can't deny that its a fashion accessory for some... They are probably selling on ebay for double right now, you think those people are paying those prices because they need the phone? Its the whole, I have you don't have thing... It works and apple knows it.

I don't really need to justify my purchase to you, but if I'm spending the $800 for an 8, to me it seems silly not to spend 1150 for the x. Once you're spending that much, you just buy what you want. The X has a larger screen, MUCH better battery and a better camera. I like the camera. I also like the size.

You're just running people down because they look at it differently...and it's silly and annoying. "Well they like it, so clearly they're just fashionistas!"

Rada
11-02-2017, 10:01 AM

Good plan. 11.1 has already been hacked.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ios-11-hacked-by-security-researchers-day-after-release/?loc=newsletter_large_thumb_related&ftag=TREc64629f&bhid=23765148860062144127706034017221

djg21
11-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Maybe a jailbreak will be released soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seramount
11-02-2017, 10:13 AM
my elderly 5 hand-me-down freebie from a friend is getting the job done.

check out my plan...100 min talk, 100 text, 100 mb data

and I leave most of this unused at the end of the month.

just not a phone addict kinda guy...

pdmtong
11-02-2017, 02:07 PM
I don't really need to justify my purchase to you, but if I'm spending the $800 for an 8, to me it seems silly not to spend 1150 for the x. Once you're spending that much, you just buy what you want. The X has a larger screen, MUCH better battery and a better camera. I like the camera. I also like the size.

You're just running people down because they look at it differently...and it's silly and annoying. "Well they like it, so clearly they're just fashionistas!"

thats the pricing dilemma...do you want a 8+ 256GB at $850 or a X 64GB for just a $150 more. sooo easy to "rationalize" when the price is spread 24 months.

BUT, as has been pointed out, there is added cost in apple care or insurance and a case. when phones are $200 who cards? when phones are $1,000 most people are going to want some kind of extended care plan.

one of the 5 (not 5S) in our house is about to die so I think the move for us is std 8 64GB. give up the dual camera. in another 3-4 years we will be back in the market to replace that phone and by then the X technology will have trickled down. Being first is always more expensive and I have other bills to pay.

R3awak3n
11-02-2017, 02:16 PM

sorry to annoy you and also sorry that what I written just does not get to you.

I am done here. Enjoy your phone.

Tony T
11-02-2017, 02:23 PM
…one of the 5 (not 5S) in our house is about to die so I think the move for us is std 8 64GB. give up the dual camera.

If you like the size of the 5, consider the SE.
32G for ~ $300 or less
(I don't like the larger iPhones, so I have a preference for the SE)

pdmtong
11-02-2017, 02:39 PM
If you like the size of the 5, consider the SE.
32G for ~ $300 or less (I don't like the larger iPhones, so I have a preference for the SE)

While I do like the smaller size phones (5), I suppose like with anything I will get used to the bigger size (6, 7, 8, X)

The main attribute drawing me to think about the 8 std 64GB is that it shares the same "latest" processor as the X, the A11 chip...so that is going to be the design platform going forward.

R3awak3n
11-02-2017, 02:45 PM
While I do like the smaller size phones (5), I suppose like with anything I will get used to the bigger size (6, 7, 8, X)

The main attribute drawing me to think about the 8 std 64GB is that it shares the same "latest" processor as the X, the A11 chip...so that is going to be the design platform going forward.

the 8 is not a big phone and, having the x, I can tell you, its a fantastic phone.

camera is great really fast, battery is crap though, I have to run a battery case (but some people might be ok with it). I am happy with mine. That said, its a lot of money for an old platform, the 7 might be a better deal in some ways

pdmtong
11-02-2017, 05:03 PM
the 8 is not a big phone and, having the x, I can tell you, its a fantastic phone.

camera is great really fast, battery is crap though, I have to run a battery case (but some people might be ok with it). I am happy with mine. That said, its a lot of money for an old platform, the 7 might be a better deal in some ways

most circles declare the 8 should have been branded as the 7s...I get that BUT the 7 is on the old chip and the 8 is on the new chip. thats the debate for me.

did I miss that fact you now have a X? Tell us more!

the last few releases Tim Cook and Woz are greeting customers waiting in line at the local store. and, fwiw Tim Cook rides a C60 set up with EPS with Bora Ultras.

djg21
11-02-2017, 06:36 PM
I’m a tech geek, what can I say?

I just pre-ordered my iPhone X, which will be delivered by 12/13.

If anyone wants to buy my space grey 256gb iPhone 7, it will be available. It has been in a Lifeproof Case since before it left Verizon and is in flawless, like new condition. I have the box, charger, headphone adapter and lighting cord, but no headphones. I’m not sure on price, but I declined a $399 trade in because they sell for substantially more on eBay and Craigslist. If someone wants a new phone, let me know. I have the Lifeproof case, and a Catalyst waterproof case too. I need the phone until my new one arrives however.

cribbit
11-02-2017, 06:42 PM
I was very disappointed with what I saw in the new iPhones.

Then I was also very disappointed with the new Pixels.

So I guess I'm waiting for the next generation.

R3awak3n
11-02-2017, 06:53 PM
most circles declare the 8 should have been branded as the 7s...I get that BUT the 7 is on the old chip and the 8 is on the new chip. thats the debate for me.

did I miss that fact you now have a X? Tell us more!

the last few releases Tim Cook and Woz are greeting customers waiting in line at the local store. and, fwiw Tim Cook rides a C60 set up with EPS with Bora Ultras.

that was a typo, I do not have the X. I will see one this weekend though (friend is suppose to get one tomorrow), will update with my thoughts.

biker72
11-03-2017, 05:58 AM
I was very disappointed with what I saw in the new iPhones.

Then I was also very disappointed with the new Pixels.

So I guess I'm waiting for the next generation.

I'm sticking with my old Samsung Galaxy S5.

SpeedyChix
11-03-2017, 06:10 AM
It's getting harder to justify each of the price bumps for additional features. I don't really need a new phone, battery life on my 6 is still good. The water-resistance of the 7 and 8 is the main appeal to me. Loss of headphone jack isn't a deal breaker. Additional memory would be a bonus. Not seeing the X for my personal use.

shoota
11-03-2017, 07:28 AM
I'm sticking with my old Samsung Galaxy S5.

The S5 is still a surprisingly good phone. If it weren't for the lack of iMessage it would probably my daily driver.

AngryScientist
11-03-2017, 08:02 AM
the "game changer" for me was the 7 with water resistivity.

i no longer use any type of phone holder in my back jersey pocket. phone is much easier to grab and take pictures now. that was the feature that i was waiting for.

my work phone is on it's last legs, and will likely upgrade that one soon, since it wont cost me anything.

SpeedyChix
11-03-2017, 08:17 AM
the "game changer" for me was the 7 with water resistivity.

i no longer use any type of phone holder in my back jersey pocket. phone is much easier to grab and take pictures now. that was the feature that i was waiting for.

^ This is the biggest draw for me to make the move from 6 to 8.
May see what clean used unlocked 6s are going for to offset the $.

R3awak3n
11-03-2017, 09:15 AM
rode by the the brooklyn apple store this morning at 7am on my way to the park for some laps, there was a line around the block.

then rode by the soho store on my way to work, line around the block...

that is some commitment. Phone must be for work or because they love how it all connects with their other apple products... :rolleyes:

R3awak3n
11-03-2017, 12:01 PM
just played with the x for a bit. Its very nice. Screen is gorgeous, phone feels small but screen feels huge. Super fluid. Going home without a button feels fine, did it a bunch and worked well. Could not test the face unlock because it wasnt my phone. Phone looks nice with the back glass but similar to my 8.

Aaron O
11-03-2017, 01:29 PM
rode by the the brooklyn apple store this morning at 7am on my way to the park for some laps, there was a line around the block.

then rode by the soho store on my way to work, line around the block...

that is some commitment. Phone must be for work or because they love how it all connects with their other apple products... :rolleyes:

Some folks just really need a reaction :)

R3awak3n
11-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Some folks just really need a reaction :)

Just couldn't help myself, I am sorry :)

That said, you will love the phone, its a pretty nice one and the omission of the home button really did not bother me as much as I thought it would. Its super fluid. Screen is really nice.

marciero
11-03-2017, 04:05 PM
My 4 kept chugging along until I lost it last month. Went to the ATT store and walked out with a new (not a refurb) 5s for under $200. Was pretty psyched about that. My main complaint with iphones has been with the weak antenna and poor sound quality. Maybe that has been addressed in later versions.

Jeff Weir
11-03-2017, 09:47 PM
Face ID is Digity-Dog fast. Within a couple of days you won't miss the home button at all. Also, iPhone 8 is pretty much the same internals as the X. If you're concerned, save a few bucks and get 90% of the X.
Operating systems get more and more overhead every year/version. That will eventually take its toll on the older models.
Use what you like!! You can call text, email, browse the internet, etc from them all!!!

marciero
11-04-2017, 06:10 AM
Face ID is Digity-Dog fast. Within a couple of days you won't miss the home button at all. Also, iPhone 8 is pretty much the same internals as the X. If you're concerned, save a few bucks and get 90% of the X.
Operating systems get more and more overhead every year/version. That will eventually take its toll on the older models.
Use what you like!! You can call text, email, browse the internet, etc from them all!!!

That's why I always refuse the software updates.

blantonator
11-04-2017, 09:50 PM
That's why I always refuse the software updates.

good luck with all the security holes.

weiwentg
11-05-2017, 09:22 AM
It’s not difficult to change the battery. There are instructional videos on YouTube, and you can easily find battery replacement kits with batteries and necessary tools on eBay, or using Google. If you’re happy with your older iPhones but the battery no longer holds a full charge, this is a decent and relatively inexpensive option.

Need to sound a word of caution here. On my iPhone 5, there were a lot of small screws, and some of the connectors were quite delicate. So, I did successfully change the battery, and nothing appears to have blown up, but it was slightly tricky. If I can make an analogy that some people here will understand, I thought it was a bit trickier than changing the good old 10s Campy ergo lever g-springs, mainly because of the small size, cramped interior, and delicate connectors. Personally, with both of those tasks, I would rather pay a professional who does them frequently. Also, iPhones after the 5 have got even more cramped inside.

That said, even at the price that Apple stores or other local phone repair shops charge, I would agree that paying a professional to change the battery is a decent and relatively inexpensive option. I believe Apple stores charge $80. I think that buying the battery isn’t much less.

Back to the original topic: I think I may get a 7 or an 8 next year. I’m not tempted by the X.

SpeedyChix
11-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Made the leap. Ordered an 8 for the waterproof addition and went from 128 to 256GB of storage. Should be good for a few years.

Aaron O
11-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Well I played with it a bit over the weekend (after the 10 reboots and software updates I had to make in order to use the phone with itunes):

The facial recognition feature is amazing and things are far smoother for it. It opens quickly and easily, with no special effort. FAR nicer than finger touch.

The screen is incredible and beautiful...the size is notably improved.

No home button = no problem...everything is easy and intuitive. You'll never notice it's gone after a few days.

The phone seems a bit heavier to me than my six, but it's roughly the same size.

Battery life seems a bit stronger than most new phones I've had, but not notably so.

The camera is just magnificent...you can get useful photos in low light.

The speaker seems a lot nicer to me.

To each their own, but once you're spending $800, I can't imagine not spending the extra for the X...and I really like it thus far. A friend has the 8, and after playing with mine he regrets it. I don't blame him.

Tony T
11-06-2017, 08:32 AM
To each their own, but once you're spending $800, I can't imagine not spending the extra for the X...and I really like it thus far. A friend has the 8, and after playing with mine he regrets it. I don't blame him.

I still like the idea that I can break and replace my SE four or five times and still not spend as much as the cost of the X.

MikeD
11-06-2017, 09:26 AM
Good to know that facial recognition works. It's probably better for cyclists because the fingerprint scanner and home button doesn't work with gloves, nor does the fingerprint scanner work with a sweaty finger.

saab2000
11-06-2017, 09:42 AM
I've been having trouble charging my 5S of late. The cord didn't really always seem to make good contact. I blew it out with compressed air a couple weeks ago and that seemed to help but it was still not perfect.

Dug around in the charging port with a very tiny pick and removed quite a bit of lint and dust. Problem solved.

Just a quick tip for other owners of 'mature' iPhones!

Aaron O
11-06-2017, 10:22 AM
I still like the idea that I can break and replace my SE four or five times and still not spend as much as the cost of the X.

The SE and X are apples - oranges in terms of both price and spec. A person looking at the SE isn't looking at the X, or the 8, as their alternative. I can understand how and why the SE makes all the sense in the world for a whole lot of people (including us...my wife's office line has the SE).

That said, I use my phone a lot...and...to me...the X is a better value, for me, than the SE. Everyone has their own prioritization.

weisan
11-06-2017, 03:49 PM
The iPhone X smartphone costs US$357.50 to make and sells for US$999, giving it a gross margin of 64 percent, according to TechInsights, a firm that tears down technology devices and analyses the parts inside. The iPhone 8 sells for US$699 and has a gross margin of 59 percent.
Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/technology/apple-s-iphone-x-has-higher-margin-than-iphone-8--analysis-9381812

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/technology/apple-s-iphone-x-has-higher-margin-than-iphone-8--analysis-9381812

eBAUMANN
11-06-2017, 04:10 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

officially the most breakable iphone ever (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/youre-gonna-need-a-case-iphone-x-fares-poorly-in-first-drop-tests/)

happycampyer
11-06-2017, 04:17 PM
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/technology/apple-s-iphone-x-has-higher-margin-than-iphone-8--analysis-9381812Do those estimates take into account the development costs for each model? The development of the 8 seems very incremental over the 7, and a number of the enhancements of the 8 seem to piggy-back off of development of the X (the processor, etc.). Given the new technologies in the X (facial recognition, etc.), I would imagine that there are considerably higher development costs for the X to recoup. The profitability of manufacturing an iPhone isn't the same as making a box of Kellogg's Corn Flakes, where the recipe was figured out 100 years ago.

R3awak3n
11-06-2017, 04:25 PM
Do those estimates take into account the development costs for each model? The development of the 8 seems very incremental over the 7, and a number of the enhancements of the 8 seem to piggy-back off of development of the X (the processor, etc.). Given the new technologies in the X (facial recognition, etc.), I would imagine that there are considerably higher development costs for the X to recoup. The profitability of manufacturing an iPhone isn't the same as making a box of Kellogg's Corn Flakes, where the recipe was figured out 100 years ago.

highly doubt it does and apple pays their employees very well (well at least the ones in california)

Tony T
11-06-2017, 04:39 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

officially the most breakable iphone ever (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/youre-gonna-need-a-case-iphone-x-fares-poorly-in-first-drop-tests/)

If (when) I drop and damage my $250 SE I'll be able to say "At least it wasn't a $1,000 X"

Tony T
11-06-2017, 04:46 PM
…Well I played with it a bit over the weekend.…

How is the new charging system?

Aaron O
11-06-2017, 06:16 PM
How is the new charging system?

The wireless charger is still en route :(

I suspected it was going to be less robust than some recent models, but everyone knows you have to use a case, and I've always gotten the insurance regardless.

The 4 or 5 was also glass...forget which...and I made it through with one drop. The higher parts cost and insurance is obnoxious for sure.

R3awak3n
11-06-2017, 06:18 PM
wireles charger works fine with the 8, same system as x. Its nice and works fine through the apple case. I have a battery case and it does not work through that off course.

jlwdm
11-06-2017, 06:19 PM
The wireless charger is still en route :(

I suspected it was going to be less robust than some recent models, but everyone knows you have to use a case, and I've always gotten the insurance regardless.

The 4 or 5 was also glass...forget which...and I made it through with one drop. The higher parts cost and insurance is obnoxious for sure.

I use my iPhone without a case and without insurance. I self insure those items I can afford to self insure.

Jeff

Aaron O
11-06-2017, 06:45 PM
I use my iPhone without a case and without insurance. I self insure those items I can afford to self insure.

Jeff

In had the 6 out of insurance for a year, and stopped using a case for maybe 2 months. It looks like hell now. I can't imagine not using a case.

Samsung has the wireless charging...do they also use glass? Same durability issues?

Iansir
11-06-2017, 07:26 PM
Got an X on Friday making use of the upgrade plan...it’s a cool little phone. I really like the form factor compared to the plus, much easier to one hand it. Face ID has been great so far - as fast as the fingerprint for me. I’m quite happy with it, but understand it isn’t for everyone.

verticaldoug
11-08-2017, 04:36 AM
Do those estimates take into account the development costs for each model? The development of the 8 seems very incremental over the 7, and a number of the enhancements of the 8 seem to piggy-back off of development of the X (the processor, etc.). Given the new technologies in the X (facial recognition, etc.), I would imagine that there are considerably higher development costs for the X to recoup. The profitability of manufacturing an iPhone isn't the same as making a box of Kellogg's Corn Flakes, where the recipe was figured out 100 years ago.

and it's expensive to hire trustees, lawyers and lobbyists so you can evade taxes in multiple jurisdictions across the globe.

macaroon
11-08-2017, 10:42 AM
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/iphone-x-too-good-for-this-world-20171108138777

Aaron O
11-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Granted that's funny...and granted it's too expensive...

But some folks run down Apple products for the same reason they run down Campagnolo, or Sachs, or ____.

FWIW I had my first drop. $8 case. Survived. Love it...easily best phone I've had thus far and worth the price to me.

Is the Samsung wireless charge phone more durable?

Aaron O
11-08-2017, 11:22 AM
http://bgr.com/2017/09/25/iphone-8-plus-vs-galaxy-note-8-drop-test-glass/

Apparently not...but people don't get worked up about Samsung in the same way.

I wouldn't care about wireless charging if the phones didn't develop problems and sensitivities so quickly on wired connection. The new one feels like it has a snugger hold, so maybe that'll improve. I'd trade the glass back for aluminum if the dang things charged better personally.

macaroon
11-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Apparently not...but people don't get worked up about Samsung in the same way.

People mock Apple because Apple owners often bite, hard.

Aaron O
11-08-2017, 08:04 PM

Not worth the effort.

R3awak3n
11-08-2017, 08:14 PM
People mock Apple because Apple owners often bite, hard.

meh so do android people. Its just a phone, who cares. At this point pretty much all the phones are pretty good... barely any real advances in the past years... sure bigger screens, better screens, yada yada but thats to be expected.

I am not an apple fanboy but I definitely would never buy a samsung phone... Only android phone worth a damn is the nexus.

macaroon
11-09-2017, 06:22 AM
meh so do android people. Its just a phone, who cares. At this point pretty much all the phones are pretty good... barely any real advances in the past years... sure bigger screens, better screens, yada yada but thats to be expected.

I am not an apple fanboy but I definitely would never buy a samsung phone... Only android phone worth a damn is the nexus.

You'd never buy a Samsung phone, even though it's "just a phone"
and "all phones are pretty good"
and "barely any real advances in the past years"
?

You're right though, Samsung phones are "just a phone."
Whereas Apple is a statement, and a whole lifestyle to buy into; a bit like the Pinarello dentist owners mentioned in another thread.
Mum, Dad, kids and their Apple family members: ipads, iTVs, iStereos, iSpeakers, iMacs, iWatches etc.
You'll sometimes catch them using Apple buzz words to describe their lives. They need taking outside and hosing down.

R3awak3n
11-09-2017, 06:31 AM
I won't disagree that apple is a lifestyle for some, tune to a few pages earlier when I was having that discussion.

To me its not, I have 2 apple products that I like, a phone and a laptop. I also have a pc, have had a bunch of android phones, windows phone. I used to be a phone nut, I bought a new phone every 6 months. Not into it anymore.

Reason I don't like samsung phones... bloatware. Updates are not instant like a nexus for example. Wife has has a couple of them in the past years, all with a problem or 2 (gps stoped working, ect).

and what advances have there really been? water proof is cool, they are faster, cameras are better but these are all baby steps, one after the other, no crazy leap. A nice innovation that I would be impressed by would be better battery for example, a batt that lasts for 2 days with heavy use.

verticaldoug
11-09-2017, 07:29 AM
I won't disagree that apple is a lifestyle for some, tune to a few pages earlier when I was having that discussion.

To me its not, I have 2 apple products that I like, a phone and a laptop. I also have a pc, have had a bunch of android phones, windows phone. I used to be a phone nut, I bought a new phone every 6 months. Not into it anymore.

Reason I don't like samsung phones... bloatware. Updates are not instant like a nexus for example. Wife has has a couple of them in the past years, all with a problem or 2 (gps stoped working, ect).

and what advances have there really been? water proof is cool, they are faster, cameras are better but these are all baby steps, one after the other, no crazy leap. A nice innovation that I would be impressed by would be better battery for example, a batt that lasts for 2 days with heavy use.

All the flavours of Android floating around is part of the problem. I don't like Apple trying to make phones/computers obsolete by cutting them out of the OS upgrade cycle. I think Iphone5s no longer receive updates and I wonder when the 6 gets cut out of the upgrade cycle.

Considering everything the smartphone does, the powermanagement and battery life are really spectacular from a technical point of view. It is just more cost effective to have a portable battery then jam more battery into the phone.

R3awak3n
11-09-2017, 09:16 AM
All the flavours of Android floating around is part of the problem. I don't like Apple trying to make phones/computers obsolete by cutting them out of the OS upgrade cycle. I think Iphone5s no longer receive updates and I wonder when the 6 gets cut out of the upgrade cycle.

Considering everything the smartphone does, the powermanagement and battery life are really spectacular from a technical point of view. It is just more cost effective to have a portable battery then jam more battery into the phone.

Agree and I have a battery case that helps but makes the phone heavy and ugly. Eventually tech will catch up.

I agree also about older phones not being supported anymore but the 5s is very old now and it works fine with the current software, I am ok with them stoping developing software for a phone that is 5 years old but I understand what you mean. I think the 6 will probably be next year, my 6 was not liking the new software already slow slow slow.

Aaron O
11-09-2017, 09:36 AM
I'm one of those knuckle heads who refuses to update software after the second year...my 6 worked fine, other than the battery/charge port dying. None of this was an issue before...because the carriers gave you cheap phones. You'd sell your old one for your share of the new one. I'm hoping to get 4-5 years out of this one.

If you want to talk fun...I had to download the new itunes on my 8 year old iMac, which I rarely update, to use IOS 11. I was several years behind. That required new photograph downloads...which required an OS update. Of course I got the white screen. It took hours to get sorted out.

If you want to talk a beast of a good product, my 2012 iPad works perfectly and still has a robust battery.

macaroon
11-09-2017, 10:19 AM

Yeh, you're right. I've read about bloatware on some Android phones; bit crap if you ask me. I guess if you're tech savvy enough then there're ways to remove it, but I personally couldn't be bothered doing that, I'd just want something that works properly out of the box (an iPhone!)

The iPhones are/were good, I used to own one. But these days they're just too restrictive and too expensive. I don't use my phone for anything different than what I did five/six/seven years ago so there's no value in spending thousands of pounds on the "latest and greatest" when as you say, there probably hasn't been any advances (in my terms anyway).

R3awak3n
11-09-2017, 10:45 AM
I'm one of those knuckle heads who refuses to update software after the second year...my 6 worked fine, other than the battery/charge port dying. None of this was an issue before...because the carriers gave you cheap phones. You'd sell your old one for your share of the new one. I'm hoping to get 4-5 years out of this one.

If you want to talk fun...I had to download the new itunes on my 8 year old iMac, which I rarely update, to use IOS 11. I was several years behind. That required new photograph downloads...which required an OS update. Of course I got the white screen. It took hours to get sorted out.

If you want to talk a beast of a good product, my 2012 iPad works perfectly and still has a robust battery.

the only thing I do updates for is security patches. Ok, I do like the newer emojis as well :cool:

R3awak3n
11-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Yeh, you're right. I've read about bloatware on some Android phones; bit crap if you ask me. I guess if you're tech savvy enough then there're ways to remove it, but I personally couldn't be bothered doing that, I'd just want something that works properly out of the box (an iPhone!)

The iPhones are/were good, I used to own one. But these days they're just too restrictive and too expensive. I don't use my phone for anything different than what I did five/six/seven years ago so there's no value in spending thousands of pounds on the "latest and greatest" when as you say, there probably hasn't been any advances (in my terms anyway).

I get you on price but I think everyone is now charging an arm and a leg, its really a shame. I remember when google released the lattest nexus for $350 if I remember correctly. A top of the line phone, unlocked, $350. I thought to myself, this is awesome... maybe the world of phones will go that way. Nope, was I wrong. They looked at apples model which nets them much much more money and have followed suite.

Iphone X - $999
Pixel 2 XL - $849
Galaxy Note 8 - $950

Iphone 8 - $700
Pixel 2 - $650
Galaxy S8 - $725

Its all pretty close and all way too expensive specially now that there are no subsidies from networks.

MikeD
12-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Just got an iPhone X yesterday. I found the face unlock doesn't work through a plastic snack bag that I use to keep sweat off the phone. The fingerprint scanner on my iPhone 7 did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

djg21
12-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Just got an iPhone X yesterday. I found the face unlock doesn't work through a plastic snack bag that I use to keep sweat off the phone. The fingerprint scanner on my iPhone 7 did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s water resistant already. You don’t need a bag. Pick up a solid case and a screen protector and throw it in your pocket!

MikeD
12-23-2017, 05:26 PM
It’s water resistant already. You don’t need a bag. Pick up a solid case and a screen protector and throw it in your pocket!

Corrosive sweat and dirt gets into the cracks and crevices of the phone and smears the screen.

djg21
12-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Corrosive sweat and dirt gets into the cracks and crevices of the phone and smears the screen.

You can alway put your phone in a waterproof case with a screen cover. I’ve used both of these for my iPhone 7.

https://www.catalystcase.com/products/catalyst-waterproof-case-for-iphone-x?variant=45220485134

https://www.lifeproof.com/en-us/iphone-x/fre-for-iphone-x/lpfr-apl-iphn17.html

Both worked well. I found the catalyst a little slippery at times, but it had a wrist lanyard that I liked when I used the phone on my bike. I liked the feel of the Lifeproof in my hand a little better because it was easier to hold with sweaty hands.

I opted for a non-waterproof Lifeproof Next case (https://www.lifeproof.com/en-us/next-for-iphone-x/lpnx-apl-iphn17.html) and a tempered glass screen protector on my iPhoneX because the X already is water resistant, and all I needed was protection for the phone from drops and from being scratched when in my pocket. I’ve not had any problems with the X and I really life the facial recognition and display. I’ve used the phone while riding my MTB, and while hiking with my dogs in the snow, and haven’t had any issues with sweat, moisture or dirt getting into the phone.