PDA

View Full Version : FSA Glossamer Crankset MegaExo for 68MM BB

Ralph
10-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Is this crankset OK? New? Installing for a friend. Installation looks simple. No pinch bolt, so assume non drive side comes off with the self extracting crank arm bolt. Never done one of these before....but looks simple. I have the tools. Fairly cheap price. Rings look stamped.

Cicli
10-30-2017, 06:45 PM
Pretty easy install. The BB is a piece if crap. I have used a Shimano BB with success. Then I discovered it shifted like crap.
It works but FSA cranksets are really garbage.

rustychisel
10-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Pretty easy install. The BB is a piece if crap. I have used a Shimano BB with success. Then I discovered it shifted like crap.
It works but FSA cranksets are really garbage.

Easy instal. I have a MegaEXO BB last for 5 years, thousands of km, mostly good weather conditions. A compact 50 ~ 34 shifted fine, but it was not Gossamer series. FSA cranksets are what they are, not garbage but not top shelf.

FWIW the Gossamer series has always been the rather entry level side of things and their weight suggests another name entirely, perhaps 'albatross'.

David Tollefson
10-30-2017, 08:49 PM
I use them on several of my rides. Yep, the bb's ***** the bed with regularity, but they're dirt cheap. I haven't had any real shifting issues, but I like to run Shimano 8-speed front derailleurs with 20-speed shifters.

jruhlen1980
10-31-2017, 08:56 AM
Crankset is meh.

I can't remember if it was Mega Exo or Mega Evo but the BB couldn't handle even a little bit of winter gravel riding. Got crunchy and stiff within weeks. Really expensive to replace compared to $20-30 for Shimano. Swapped to Shimano and haven't had any issues.

David Tollefson
10-31-2017, 09:51 AM
And as a counterpoint to that last post, I've got one FSA Mega Exo in my gravel bike that's going on 3 years, all seasons, road and gravel riding. Another one that's on my SS MTB/monster crosser with a few hundred hours of use, and no signs of slop or grittiness. But I've had one on a road bike that went caput within a few weeks. So it's a mixed bag.