PDA

View Full Version : Most durable 23-25 tubular?

ANAO
10-30-2017, 04:32 PM
What tire out right now would make a sturdy daily driver? I've had success with the yellow jersey servizio corsas but they're a bit narrow at 21.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tuscanyswe
10-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Conti sprinter gator is a pretty durable tire.

smontanaro
10-30-2017, 04:48 PM
I've been riding Vittoria Rally 25s with no issues.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
10-30-2017, 04:52 PM

Hard to beat sprinter/gatorskin for durability....stretch them mightly tho.

false_Aest
10-30-2017, 04:52 PM

this. but.... kind've ruins the whole tubular feel.

Drmojo
10-30-2017, 05:25 PM
this. but.... kind've ruins the whole tubular feel.

Brick like feel, negates the magic carpet feel of a properly inflated tubular.
I say just add goop-- seals all but severe cuts in the tire

Pastashop
10-30-2017, 06:54 PM
Are you looking for mileage or puncture proofness? The latter - Cafe Latex. The former... Vitt Corsa in 25 on sale can be good $/mile.

ANAO
10-30-2017, 07:06 PM
Are you looking for mileage or puncture proofness? The latter - Cafe Latex. The former... Vitt Corsa in 25 on sale can be good $/mile.

Both, with puncture proofness taking the lead for utmost importance. I will be riding these about once or twice a week during the warmer months and can swap them out at the end of the season. I just want to avoid flats as much as possible.

Pastashop
10-30-2017, 07:22 PM
Both, with puncture proofness taking the lead for utmost importance. I will be riding these about once or twice a week during the warmer months and can swap them out at the end of the season. I just want to avoid flats as much as possible.

In the past, I’d had good luck with Conti Sprinters in 22 mm on the bombed out streets of Berzerkeley, and then all around the east coast. I think they might be available in 25 and even 28 mm these days, although that might not fit all frames...

Either way, folks on the web report great things about using sealant, which I’ve never tried myself, remembering patching sew ups and not liking the idea of a gooey tire when the time comes. Dude on another forum swears by Stans in his and carries a spare bottle, and regularly wears them down to the threads, reportedly. I bought a bit of sealant and some 25 mm Elites on sale from U.K., so may give it a shot come spring!

ANAO
10-30-2017, 07:24 PM
In the past, I’d had good luck with Conti Sprinters in 22 mm on the bombed out streets of Berzerkeley, and then all around the east coast. I think they might be available in 25 and even 28 mm these days, although that might not fit all frames...

Either way, folks on the web report great things about using sealant, which I’ve never tried myself, remembering patching sew ups and not liking the idea of a gooey tire when the time comes. Dude on another forum swears by Stans in his and carries a spare bottle, and regularly wears them down to the threads, reportedly. I bought a bit of sealant and some 25 mm Elites on sale from U.K., so may give it a shot come spring!

Cafelatex? Stans? Does it matter?

gngroup
10-30-2017, 07:24 PM
Veloflex Roubaix.

Pastashop
10-30-2017, 07:32 PM
Cafelatex? Stans? Does it matter?

I’m a novice with sealant. Bought Cafe Latex after a bit of research, will report on it in 6-12 months. It’s getting cold around here! :-)

thwart
10-30-2017, 07:38 PM
Vittoria Corsa Elite 25's.

Not flashy, but durable, flat resistant, fairly sticky and smooth riding.

Did I mention cheap... ?

Satellite
10-30-2017, 07:55 PM
Vitorria Pave are super robust but have a great ride. They can be found fairly cheap at U.K. web dealers. Vitorria CX are better riding in my opinion but not as robust.

My favorites are Veloflex 25 Arenburg's they are the all black version of the Veloflex 25 Roubaix depends if you like Black or Tan sidewalls or which one is on sale at the time. They measure small a true 24 on Nemesis Rims. Never had a flat so I guess they are pretty robust.

Any tyre you try I recommend Orange Seal. I had some Vitty CX's with Stan's. I added Orange Seal because I was out of Stan's and orange seal actually came out of the sidewall of the tyre. So Stan's never really sealed it if Orange Seal was visible with Stan's already in there.

Never had a flat with Orange Seal. But I did with Stan's and wholly crap it makes a huge mess. I had Stan's all over the seattube, chainstays and my legs. It did it's job and sealed the tyre after about 3 or 4 revolutions, I stopped to add more air but I really didn't need to. It was like a gorilla with allergies blew his nose with my legs.

Cost wise it's hard to be the Vitty CX Tyres.

FlashUNC
10-30-2017, 07:57 PM

If you're gonna ride these in a tubular, just don't ride tubulars.

Get the clincher version and ride 'em into the ground.

bthornt
10-30-2017, 08:04 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that the most durable tubular tire with 25mm width is the continental sprinter gatorskin. Ride quality is abysmal, but ... so durable.

AngryScientist
10-30-2017, 08:21 PM
for the service you describe, i wouldnt hesitate to get a set of the newest G+ corsa tubulars and ride them. orange seal has been good to me with tubulars. these will be plenty durable for daily use.

oldpotatoe
10-31-2017, 05:52 AM
Vittoria Corsa Elite 25's.

Not flashy, but durable, flat resistant, fairly sticky and smooth riding.

Did I mention cheap... ?

Altho I mentioned Conti Sprinter above, I have rode a couple of gravel rides with Vittoria Corsa Elites in 25mm and didn't have any problem..plus some days after it has snowed and there's the crap they put on the roads, on the shoulder..I pre treat with Orange seal and wear them down to the casing often.

Yes, 3 for less than $100 shipped-Merlin in UK..

saab2000
10-31-2017, 09:00 AM
If you're gonna ride these in a tubular, just don't ride tubulars.

Get the clincher version and ride 'em into the ground.

Agreed.

There is no point in riding tubulars if garden hoses are in question.

The only Continental I would ever consider again would be a competition but even there the ride is no better than a good clincher. So what's the point?

Tubulars really only make sense to me if you're going to get the best riding ones available.

Anyway, I have not observed my Veloflex to wear any more quickly than any others. I've worn Continentals down to the threads on several occasions. Same with Veloflex.

Wearing a tire to the threads with no flats is awesome!