PDA

View Full Version : Rider killed on PHX South Mountain climb.

Lewis Moon
10-30-2017, 07:50 AM
Rob Dollar. A prominent rider on the Phoenix racing scene. Killed by a drunk teen at 10:00 AM on Sunday morning.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/south-phoenix/cyclist-dead-after-being-struck-by-a-car-at-south-mountain-park

Rob's Strava (https://www.strava.com/athletes/2146378)
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0285/7200/files/Rob-Dollar-Amateur-Cyclist.jpg?11694821373759268978

Clean39T
10-30-2017, 08:04 AM
Drunk, stoned teenagers (must be 18-19 or they wouldn't show their picture) up partying all night headed up to the lookout while a man is trying to enjoy a peaceful Sunday morning in one of the more car-free areas before the tourists are out in force. It's tragic and the randomness really cuts deep. This could be any of us, anywhere. I'm feeling like pulling off my kit and driving into work right now. But I know that isn't safe either. And that Rob may have been killed in a car or motorcycle just the same. It's incredibly sad and sobering. My heart goes out to his family. And my head thanks the DA for getting the charges right and calling it manslaughter.

gone
10-30-2017, 08:29 AM
And my head thanks the DA for getting the charges right and calling it manslaughter.
Fully agree but it's only because she was impaired. If she weren't and had invoked the "didn't see him" or "sun in my eyes" defense she'd walk.

So sad. I generally tend to think I'm "safe" from DWI (or at least safer) given my normal 9:00-1:00 ride time but I guess I'm kidding myself.

Lewis Moon
10-30-2017, 08:31 AM
I ride in South Mountain park once or twice a week. I had just done San Juan and was finishing up with some intervals on the Kiwanis climb when the Sunday "Around SoMo" ride rolled by.
I was just touting SoMo as a safe place for cyclists the other day to some East Coast Paceliners.
This one is close to home, in many ways other than SoMo being my "home hill".

azrider
10-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Joyriding while drunk and high on a two lane mountain rode, crossed the double yellow to pass a separate cyclist who wasn't going fast enough, only to kill another cyclist head on.

Disgusting.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/south-phoenix/cyclist-dead-after-being-struck-by-a-car-at-south-mountain-park

http://media2.abc15.com/photo/2017/10/30/KNXV%20Annaleah%20Dominguez_1509366633664_70111435 _ver1.0_640_480.jpg

dbnm
10-30-2017, 11:21 AM
This makes me so angry.

azrider
10-30-2017, 11:37 AM
Apparently, the girl had several acquaintances in the car with her (all drunk and high) and after they hit and killed the cyclist, they continued to the top look out area to dump their stash of weed and alcohol and then went back to the scene.

Luckily there were multiple witnesses who saw them and police found the stash they threw out the car.

Scumbags. All of them.

thwart
10-30-2017, 12:24 PM
... and after they hit and killed the cyclist, they continued to the top look out area to dump their stash of weed and alcohol and then went back to the scene.

Oh, man.

You just hope that your own kids 1) would never get into this situation and 2) they would do the right thing if they did, or force their 'friend' to do so.

azrider
10-30-2017, 12:40 PM
Hey Phoenix folks.........

Lewis Moon
10-30-2017, 12:44 PM

I'll be there.

GregL
10-30-2017, 12:46 PM
Oh, man.

You just hope that your own kids 1) would never get into this situation and 2) they would do the right thing if they did, or force their 'friend' to do so.
Based on what my daughter is telling me about her freshman classmates at college, I'm not hopeful. She is appalled at the level of alcohol and drug use in her dorm. She is disappointed that her classmates are perfectly willing to waste the opportunities they have in college. I'm not sure if this is the end result of too much helicopter parenting or just the poor job my generation has done as parents...

Greg

BobO
10-30-2017, 12:49 PM
Apparently, the girl had several acquaintances in the car with her (all drunk and high) and after they hit and killed the cyclist, they continued to the top look out area to dump their stash of weed and alcohol and then went back to the scene.

Luckily there were multiple witnesses who saw them and police found the stash they threw out the car.

Scumbags. All of them.

Agreed. When your first reaction is to try to get away with it over helping the person you just injured,... **** you! I hope this little bitch gets everything she deserves. :mad:

Rob's reputation extends to down here as well. I'm gonna try to make it up there on Sunday for this ride.

azrider
10-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Agreed. When your first reaction is to try to get away with it over helping the person you just injured,... **** you! I hope this little bitch gets everything she deserves. :mad:

AND that's the scary part. Had they not got caught with the stash it might have been harder to prove or the case against them been as strong. Just disgusting.

BobO
10-30-2017, 01:01 PM
AND that's the scary part. Had they not got caught with the stash it might have been harder to prove or the case against them been as strong. Just disgusting.

Anyway, like the ****stain that killed Ken Viera at least this little asshole is going to get some serious time to think about her crimes. It's something.

gone
10-30-2017, 01:19 PM

Scumbags. All of them.

I believe (though I’m no lawyer/prosecutor) that this makes the friends accessories. I hope they all get the book thrown at them as well.

I agree with your last sentence wholeheartedly.

Greg

Clean39T
10-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Even if the perpetrators get their due in court, nothing will change unless the media reach is far and wide on the story. Maybe the local club can petition the city to have the road designated as the "Rob Dollar Memorial Road" or have a billboard or sign put up commemorating what happened. Even then, ****stains will still be ****stains, and all this will keep happening. We live in a sick society. What else is there to say?

On a positive note, kudos to your local community for jumping into action and organizing the ride.

Lewis Moon
10-30-2017, 01:39 PM
Even if the perpetrators get their due in court, nothing will change unless the media reach is far and wide on the story. Maybe the local club can petition the city to have the road designated as the "Rob Dollar Memorial Road" or have a billboard or sign put up commemorating what happened. Even then, ****stains will still be ****stains, and all this will keep happening. We live in a sick society. What else is there to say?

On a positive note, kudos to your local community for jumping into action and organizing the ride.

SoMo is a city park, so no billboards. It would be nice if Phoenix could put up some advisory signs for motorists saying that this area has a high density of cyclists and that they have the same right to the road.

Clean39T
10-30-2017, 01:43 PM
SoMo is a city park, so no billboards. It would be nice if Phoenix could put up some advisory signs for motorists saying that this area has a high density of cyclists and that they have the same right to the road.

Yeah, I thought maybe on the road heading in. Or some signs at the visitor center, or handouts.

Peter P.
10-30-2017, 06:39 PM
Drunk, stoned teenagers (must be 18-19 or they wouldn't show their picture) up partying all night headed up to the lookout ...

I perform weekly volunteer work in my town's popular park (See my signature for details.) This week, I walked the 1.5 miles down on the road from one of the lookout spots. It was 11:30AM. At least two cars passed me that reeked of pot as I walked that distance. I couldn't believe it. The person that joined me on Saturday is a big wine aficionado, and when I commented on smelling the dope he said "There's absolutely NO reason why anyone should get a buzz on that early in the day, dope or wine included."

BobO
10-30-2017, 07:29 PM
"There's absolutely NO reason why anyone should get a buzz on that early in the day, dope or wine included."

They can do whatever the hell they want to, whenever the hell they want to in their own homes. Behind the wheel of a two ton weapon, not so much.

oldpotatoe
10-31-2017, 06:02 AM
They can do whatever the hell they want to, whenever the hell they want to in their own homes. Behind the wheel of a two ton weapon, not so much.

Yup, even if this dim bulb and her fiends do some real time, she will come out worse than she went in. She'll get stoned or FU again, drive again...no real treatment teeth for young, FU people these days. IMHO, of course.

AngryScientist
10-31-2017, 06:32 AM
oh wow, just seeing this story. what a mess.

i agree with the comment that you generally think you're safe from drunk/impaired drivers when you're out mid morning on a sunday. apparently that's not a given.

my kids are young still, but i have to really think through some method to get through to them how dangerous impaired driving can be. i would be disappointed and crushed to find out that one of my kids was involved in something like this. sad all the way around.

Black Dog
10-31-2017, 08:46 AM
Impaired, distracted, no one will really ever be held accountable until we change our social relationship with driving. We have to accept all responsibility for our actions behind the wheel, no excuses. Accidents are very very rare, avoidable collisions are not. Driving is not a human right. Being allowed to use a road without being killed because of the sanctioned negligence of others (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-14/cycling-collisions-should-drivers-be-held-legally-liable/8613858) is. Some countries have done this and drivers have changed their behaviour. Knowing that you are 100% responsible and will be assumed to be at fault if you hit a human on a bike on on their feet changes everything. Knowing that other humans use the public roads for things other than driving and that they have equal rights matters. This is not the current social & Legal contract in North America. Education, Training, and Enforcement of strict laws with serious consequences. We are 0 for 3. :help: Our behaviour around driving is entitled and infantile. I doubt that I will be encouraging my kids to take up road riding until we grow up as a society on this issue.

Clean39T
10-31-2017, 09:49 AM
Impaired, distracted, no one will really ever be held accountable until we change our social relationship with driving. We have to accept all responsibility for our actions behind the wheel, no excuses. Accidents are very very rare, avoidable collisions are not. Driving is not a human right. Being allowed to use a road without being killed because of the sanctioned negligence of others (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-14/cycling-collisions-should-drivers-be-held-legally-liable/8613858) is. Some countries have done this and drivers have changed their behaviour. Knowing that you are 100% responsible and will be assumed to be at fault if you hit a human on a bike on on their feet changes everything. Knowing that other humans use the public roads for things other than driving and that they have equal rights matters. This is not the current social & Legal contract in North America. Education, Training, and Enforcement of strict laws with serious consequences. We are 0 for 3. :help: Our behaviour around driving is entitled and infantile. I doubt that I will be encouraging my kids to take up road riding until we grow up as a society on this issue.

Very well put.

Saguaro
10-31-2017, 10:49 AM
This is so tragic, my condolences go out to Rob’s family and friends. While I didn’t know Rob, I feel a kinship with him as part of the Phoenix cycling community.

South Mountain is a great ride, especially now that the weather is cooling off. I tend to ride it on Silent Sundays when the road is closed to motor vehicle traffic. I do feel exposed on the 7th Street approach and descent, even with the bike lanes. I know there are inherent risks in this activity, all I can do is be alert and try to minimize my exposure to hazardous situations. But sometimes, it’s out of our control. Be safe out there.

R.I.P. Rob.

BumbleBeeDave
10-31-2017, 11:03 AM
"Our behavior around driving is entitled and infantile."

Nails it.These days it seems Americans' behavior around just about everything is entitled and infantile.

BobO
10-31-2017, 11:15 AM

True rights cannot exist without responsibility. When one fails to operate the car in a responsible manner sanction and suspension of rights is entirely reasonable.

azrider
10-31-2017, 12:03 PM
Bond set at $2500.......she's already out of jail

kookmyers
10-31-2017, 12:11 PM
Bond set at $2500.......she's already out of jail

Oh, come on. Its Halloween, not April 1. How is this possible? Wasn't the bail of the guy who hit 4 cyclists set at $250,000?

azrider
10-31-2017, 12:18 PM
Oh, come on. Its Halloween, not April 1. How is this possible? Wasn't the bail of the guy who hit 4 cyclists set at $250,000?

Being charged with:

Manslaughter- Class 2 felony
Possession marijuana- Class 6
Possession drug paraphernalia- Class 6

County asked for $50,000

Judge set it for $2500

what.......a........joke

kookmyers
10-31-2017, 12:20 PM
Nothing about DUI?

donevwil
10-31-2017, 12:22 PM
There's got to be more to the story, $2500 bail is just pathetic.

shovelhd
10-31-2017, 12:33 PM
Nothing about DUI?

She "showed signs of impairment" at the scene but wasn't charged with DUI. She either passed the test, declined the test, or wasn't administered the test.

I didn't know him, but he was one hell of a racer.

AngryScientist
10-31-2017, 12:36 PM
2500? probably had that much $ worth of pot in the car, between the bunch of them.

shovelhd
10-31-2017, 12:38 PM
2500? probably had that much $ worth of pot in the car, between the bunch of them.

How do you think they made bail? ;)

kookmyers
10-31-2017, 12:45 PM
From the OP linked story:

"Officers say Dominguez admitted to drinking and smoking pot."
"Dominguez showed signs of impairment"...

What about leaving the scene???

Video of the hearing. Just ridiculous. Shouldn't the judge have to provide an explanation for his decision?

http://www.azfamily.com/clip/13865112/pd-bicyclist-killed-by-impaired-driver-at-south-mountain-park-in-phoenix

Gummee
10-31-2017, 12:53 PM
Based on what my daughter is telling me about her freshman classmates at college, I'm not hopeful. She is appalled at the level of alcohol and drug use in her dorm. She is disappointed that her classmates are perfectly willing to waste the opportunities they have in college. I'm not sure if this is the end result of too much helicopter parenting or just the poor job my generation has done as parents...

Greg
I can't say I didn't do the same thing when I first got out of the house.

Drank and threw darts on my way out of VA Tech my freshman year. ...but I got my act together and while it took me a while, I graduated with more than a few 'life lessons' learned

M

azrider
10-31-2017, 12:56 PM
She "showed signs of impairment" at the scene but wasn't charged with DUI. She either passed the test, declined the test, or wasn't administered the test.

I didn't know him, but he was one hell of a racer.

In state of Arizona, if you decline or refuse to take the test the State will get a search warrant and withdrawal blood to determine alcohol level. HOPEFULLY this will come back into play once those results come back.

I also believe that in state of Arizona, that if an accident involves death it is required by state to administrator some type of toxicity test.

shovelhd
10-31-2017, 01:26 PM
In state of Arizona, if you decline or refuse to take the test the State will get a search warrant and withdrawal blood to determine alcohol level. HOPEFULLY this will come back into play once those results come back.

I also believe that in state of Arizona, that if an accident involves death it is required by state to administrator some type of toxicity test.

I'd LOVE to see this in MA. How fast can they get a warrant? Over the phone at the scene? Minutes count.

azrider
10-31-2017, 01:42 PM
I'd LOVE to see this in MA. How fast can they get a warrant? Over the phone at the scene? Minutes count.

Typically within minutes of arriving back at station: Cop calls it in, judge is called/notified in middle of night, approval faxed/emailed/etc back to station, and an on-call nurse is extracting the blood within the hour.

AZ claims it's .08, but officers can use "impaired to slightest degree" to get wheels in motion for the above.

Please come to AZ and visit and enjoy, just don't drink and drive.

sitzmark
10-31-2017, 01:43 PM
There's got to be more to the story, $2500 bail is just pathetic.

Bail is not designed to be punitive - set by standard practice and "algorithms". Objective is to assure defendant shows up for court.

Dealing with this now - ride mate hit a week ago, not on bike at time, but hit by DUI driver who refused to submit to breathalyzer. Still charged by RI police with DUI liquor or drugs resulting in serious bodily injury, 1st offense, and driving so as to endanger. $5,000 bail/own recognizance.

Triathlete single mom of 3, pulled over in breakdown lane standing next to passenger side of car. Defendant lost control, entered breakdown lane and hit her at highway speed. Touch and go if she is going to make it. Unconscious since event ... 9 days and fingers crossed.

beeatnik
10-31-2017, 01:49 PM
https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2017/10/31/three-meetings/

Annaleah Dominguez and her friend were in a hurry to get to the overlook and veg out, and she veered out across the double yellow line to pass the cyclist who had slowed her down such that she’d have to wait a few seconds before getting to the place where she could, you know, sit in her car and stare off into space. At that second Rob Mother****in’ Dollar, who was descending from the top, came around the turn and hit her square on at speed. He died instantly, no chance to do anything except, perhaps, wonder if he was going to make it.

We stood in the blackness on the edge of the strand and listened as the witnesses came forward and spoke to the beauty and strength of Rob’s life. The voices were choked and humbled and broken and soft, but we heard every word, in part because we’d each experienced the profound goodness of this amazing and decent man. We didn’t have to hear each other’s words; they’d been playing over and over in our heads since the news first struck.

donevwil
10-31-2017, 02:04 PM
Bail is not designed to be punitive - set by standard practice and "algorithms". Objective is to assure defendant shows up for court...

I understand bail, I don't understand the seemingly arbitrary "algorithm" used from one case to another, one location to another, one ethnicity to another. An algorithm certainly loaded with socially, politically, geographically and, ultimately, subjectively derived input.

ptourkin
10-31-2017, 02:21 PM

We shouldn't discuss the problems with people having weapons so soon after a tragedy. Right?

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-31-2017, 02:42 PM
How do you think they made bail? ;)

Mommy and Daddy, who else? And THE reason they give two fcucks. Never had a consequence in their short lives. My son is 22, NEVER smoked cigs, pot or anything else or had even a sip of alcohol before he was legal, or now for that matter. WHY? Because we, his mother and father are PRESENT, and make him accountable for his fukc ups and actions. The issue as is always the issue is kids not be held accountable for actions like these. "Affluenza," helicopter parents or whatever, no excuse.

kevinvc
10-31-2017, 03:57 PM
Mommy and Daddy, who else? And THE reason they give two fcucks. Never had a consequence in their short lives. My son is 22, NEVER smoked cigs, pot or anything else or had even a sip of alcohol before he was legal, or now for that matter. WHY? Because we, his mother and father are PRESENT, and make him accountable for his fukc ups and actions. The issue as is always the issue is kids not be held accountable for actions like these. "Affluenza," helicopter parents or whatever, no excuse.

I'm happy for you that your son has turned out so well. It sounds as if you have been a stable presence throughout his life, and you should be proud of that.

Please don't assume all young adults who do something bad do so because of their parent's failings. Similarly, many kids survive horrific childhoods and become outstanding adults.

Parents can guide, model and, to some extent, mold their children's behavior. However, they do not have total control or responsibility for their actions and choices.

azrider
11-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Can any attorneys/lawyers help me out with something. Just a few days after the cyclist as killed there was another DUI fatality only this time with a jogger.

My question to attorneys: Any particular reason why bail was set at $5000 for drive who hit cyclist, and $25,000 for drive who hit jogger?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2017/11/03/police-shannon-scott-struck-killed-jogger-alcohol-her-system-ahwatukee/829557001/

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/3221a1f017874e5965a167b7473dac7b6b71c14a/c=13-0-388-500&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/2017/11/02/Phoenix/Phoenix/636452404206790470-Shannon-Scott.jpg

BobO
11-04-2017, 01:17 PM
I don't know the specifics, but, I will speculate that this driver likely has prior offenses which will lead to greater penalties. Unfortunately I can't make it to Rob's ride tomorrow, I hope all goes well.