PDA

View Full Version : What's the Deal with Route 9W in New Jersey?

jkap
09-18-2006, 10:43 AM
I was a visitor in New York/New Jersey over the weekend, and going into New Jersey on Sunday (and a beautiful cycling Sunday it was, too dammit!) along 9W I observed a brazillion riders on some nice mounts. The roads looked absolutely beasutiful as well, nice rollers, some good climbs as well. Is this East Coast Cycling VahHalla ? Story please.

CalfeeFly
09-18-2006, 11:10 AM
There is some awesome riding there...so close to the City it is hard to believe. I think it was someone on this forum that ran into Lance over there one day. I rode along with some Colorado Cyclist Team members one day.

ThasFACE
09-18-2006, 11:17 AM
I was a visitor in New York/New Jersey over the weekend, and going into New Jersey on Sunday (and a beautiful cycling Sunday it was, too dammit!) along 9W I observed a brazillion riders on some nice mounts. The roads looked absolutely beasutiful as well, nice rollers, some good climbs as well. Is this East Coast Cycling VahHalla ? Story please.

9W is definitely a solid spot. The ride up to Nyack from NYC (via 9W) is a nice one (and a decent workout if you want it to be), and access to 9W is fairly convenient for Manhattanites; you will see armies of riders crossing the GWB on weekend mornings. And yeah, if you like to ogle bikes, there are often many tricked-out rigs. I like it.

Ahneida Ride
09-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Years ago ... 9W was desolate. wide road and no cars.

I suspect this has changed. Many McMansions being buit along
9W.

Benjamin
09-18-2006, 01:37 PM
if you live in NYC, and want to ride fast for more than a few blocks at a time, your cycling choices are rather limited. you can ride in central park or prospect park (or kissena 'drom, right right...).

9W is our little weekend escape. it's close, beautiful, nice wide road, and offers some actual hills if you head up north.

DRZRM
09-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Yeah great ride, all the way up to Bear Mountain if you have the time. When I lived in NYC, I liked to take the left when you get off the GWB and go down to the park enterance to the River Road under the bridge, you pick back up with 9W several miles north of the city, and there are some great hills as you go up and down the Pallisades.

I miss that ride.

neverraced
09-18-2006, 04:55 PM
It used to be better, naturally. At least in the NJ stretch. They recently redid the road using the newest traffic gimmicks, eliminating the shoulders/bike lanes and replacing them with huge center turn lanes at every intersection. Best to avoid the place between the bridge and Alpine, use the River
Road variation described elsewhere in this thread.