PDA

View Full Version : Shimano 10s brifters stopped in the cold ...

pjbaz
10-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Tried to take a ride early today (after a really crappy start to my morning) and my Shimano DA 7800 brifters stopped shifting. I looped it home and took out a different bike without those issues.

I tossed the offending bike on the stand this afternoon and all is good, no problems at all. SO, I figure they were too cold to work ... but I've never experienced that and I try to ride (usually once a week) all year long up here in CT.

Shifters or cables? What's my issue?

Thanks,
J

zzy
10-28-2017, 05:37 PM
The old grease has seized up. Flush them out with WD40/Beoshield/etc.

pjbaz
10-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Do I replace the grease in some fashion?

I ask bc my 6500 Ultegra gear just keeps on trucking without issue. Amazing stuff that :banana:

fa63
10-28-2017, 06:04 PM
You can flush it out with WD40 as previously suggested. Then lubricate with Tri-Flow.

pjbaz
10-28-2017, 06:10 PM
Flush and refill in the future then ... hate when things break

Dead Man
10-28-2017, 06:20 PM
7800 shifters seem to be especially prone to this... have had several sets go boink in the dark/cold on me, over the years... to include my first frosty CX race this year with some NOS 7800 shifters. WD40 soak overnite fixt it. But that didn't help me not DNF that day.... first ever DNF.

I DNF'd because of double flats... but I feel like had I not been beating on my damn shifter with frozen hands, spinning furiously at like 130rpm stuck in a low gear trying to hold the lead, I wouldn't have hit that rock pile that blew both my tires out instantaneously.

Woulda been a two-peat at that race for me, too.. I catch the podium from time to time, but that remains my only WIN at a CX race

:rolleyes:

dddd
10-28-2017, 08:18 PM
One trick to making one of these shifters work that has "caught a cold" is to move the lever very slowly. The gummed pawl pivot will work but not if it is expected to snap quickly under it's own meager spring tension.

The lube I use frees and lubricates at the same time, it is Liquid Wrench Lubricating Oil in an aerosol can, so it foams up enough to reach all the interior nooks and crannies in the "barrel" or spool section of the shifter. I introduce the oil up in where the smaller lever disappears into the lever body.

The bike needs to be pointing downhill a full 30 degrees when lubing the shifter, and with a catch can under the lever to collect all of the oil that drips out.
Doing this on level ground will result in oil running down and between the hood and the lever body, and the hood will never be the same (will slip around and become stretched in use).

Severely gummed shifters as with those that have sat unused in a hot garage for 15 years may require use of an aggressive degreaser for the first spray-a-thon.
I've used Finish-Line Citrus Degreaser in these rare cases, it is petro-based (no water or ionic ingredients). This isn't needed though if the shifters still work either at room temperature or when the lever is moved very slowly.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7314/10295959365_21f768ef4c_z.jpg

Bob Ross
10-29-2017, 08:29 AM
Just to pile on the datapoints: My old Cannondale with Ultegra 6600 levers had this same problem every winter: At some point when temps got below 32°F the small paddle stopped working. Just seemed like it wouldn't grab (release?) any cable when you moved it. Take it inside, wait a couple hours, and everything worked fine.

The Flush-It-With-WD40 approach would cure it temporarily -- by which I mean, for most of the rest of that winter -- but by the next year it would crop up again, especially if temps got down into the low 20s.

My permanent solution was to send that bike down to my parents' house in the Arizona desert. :banana:

pjbaz
10-29-2017, 09:29 AM
Just to pile on the datapoints: My old Cannondale with Ultegra 6600 levers had this same problem every winter: At some point when temps got below 32°F the small paddle stopped working. Just seemed like it wouldn't grab (release?) any cable when you moved it. Take it inside, wait a couple hours, and everything worked fine.

The Flush-It-With-WD40 approach would cure it temporarily -- by which I mean, for most of the rest of that winter -- but by the next year it would crop up again, especially if temps got down into the low 20s.

My permanent solution was to send that bike down to my parents' house in the Arizona desert. :banana:

I'm fortunate I have a few bikes as well LOL
Flush and fill coming soon

54ny77
10-29-2017, 10:38 AM
As recommended by the fine folks here, the wd-40 flush, then lube with something else, works wonders . It's also less expensive than moving to FL or southern California.

Big Dan
10-29-2017, 10:57 AM
CRC Powerlube for me.

AngryScientist
10-29-2017, 10:57 AM
this is why the hard men of the world ride fixed in winter :D

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TKWFhUCbUdo/WL8nAdrL2EI/AAAAAAAACu0/J13U8x_0wPcXeX-7Y-9vNgAmb5i0W_liQCLcB/s1040/2.JPG

pjbaz
10-29-2017, 12:37 PM

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TKWFhUCbUdo/WL8nAdrL2EI/AAAAAAAACu0/J13U8x_0wPcXeX-7Y-9vNgAmb5i0W_liQCLcB/s1040/2.JPG

I have one of those too ... but none of mine wear fenders :)

earlfoss
10-29-2017, 12:40 PM
they probably got tired of being called brifters and quit

Dead Man
10-29-2017, 03:10 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/IOCXHPvn3WErm/giphy.gif

pjbaz
10-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Waaaa! He used a name thousands of people use but not the exact model designation from Shimano.

Sorry, I'll try to refer to them as Shimano Total Integration or as ST-7800 in the future. Oh wait, no. No I won't. :banana:

Clancy
10-30-2017, 10:13 AM
I use Finish Line Cleaner and Lube, silicon base. Resurrected many a shifter.

I believe that is the product recommended by Shimano. Seems I remember that from a training video.

All shifters, MTB or road, get flushed as part of the service.

For my personal bikes, I remove the hoods, flush with above, then dribble in some Dumonde Tech liquid grease. Good stuff. Work the shifters to coat evenly.

Liquid wrench a little too much for this application.

A can of Finish Line spray cleaner and lube should be part of every riders home tool kit.

zzy
10-30-2017, 10:32 AM
A can of Finish Line spray cleaner and lube should be part of every riders home tool kit.

Are you talking about speed degreaser or 1 step spray?

Clancy
10-30-2017, 10:34 AM
Are you talking about speed degreaser or 1 step spray?

Finish Line 1 Step

Simply great stuff

Ken C
10-30-2017, 12:51 PM
I used Sea Foam Deep Creep penetrating oil rather than WD40 followed up by aerosol tri flow lube. No problems now with my 7800s in the cold.

TunaAndBikes
11-15-2017, 08:02 AM
With 6700 shifters.
I'm thinking about flushing with brake cleaner (probably Muc-Off's) and re lubing with 15W/40 (Tune recommended this for lubing my hub, so i have a whole half gallon now)

Anyone care to pitch in or keep me from doing a terrible mistake?

marsh
11-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Shimano 600 downtubes in the winter for me.
https://i.imgur.com/5F9fukKl.jpg

bigman
11-15-2017, 10:23 AM
This is what my local swears is the magic sauce to cure this issue.
A bit pricey.

54ny77
11-15-2017, 10:51 AM
LPS is great stuff.

Coincidentally, this past weekend I went to work on a DA7800 equipped bike that hasn't been shifted in ages. Sure enough, levers stuck. I ended up grabbing this off the shelf (vs. WD-40; I wanted to try something different that had lube & corrosion inhibitor in one). It did the trick.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41DtoLsGG7L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

This is what my local swears is the magic sauce to cure this issue.
A bit pricey.

Spaghetti Legs
11-16-2017, 06:42 AM

Or Campy ... ;)