PDA

View Full Version : Bike Path Rage

znfdl
09-18-2006, 08:53 AM
Well, I am convinced that road rage has made it to the W&OD bike path. I commute to work with my L&M HID light which is point slightly down and to the right, which limits the amount of light to oncoming bike traffic. Additionally, the light is on the low setting and I ride to the extreme right of the bike path.

Last week a commuter swerved towards me and gave me the finger.

This morning the same commuter stopped his bike perpendicular to me and my commuting buddy and impeded our progress. He never said a word.

Well, I called to the Vienna, Va. police just to let them know what is going on.

What would the fellow Serotta forumites do?

Erik.Lazdins
09-18-2006, 09:10 AM
A guy with that much rage in his system won't be commuting for long. Its sad to read that somebody out for a bike ride would "rage" over a headlight.

Over the years I've had some people yell about my L&M light, however one fact remains in place. Since I ride nearly every morning these "ragers" show up for a few days then go away.

Archibald
09-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Hard to say, but I'd probably go with a throat punch and then a monkey stealing a peach just to make sure he doesn't reproduce.

:banana:

Birddog
09-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Hmmmmm, that's a tough one. First I'd try and find out if he's an arrogant Neocon on a power trip, or a self righteous Liberal trying to get traction at any level. He's probably an atty in any case.

Birddog

bigdeal
09-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Next time, turn your light off, swerve towards him with your hand fisted. See if he prefers a ~20 mph punch (plus however fast he's going, probably 12 mph, making it 32 mph impact).

Lost Weekend
09-18-2006, 09:23 AM
I'd spit some beechnut in that dudes eye's and shoot him with my old 45's

Ginger
09-18-2006, 09:26 AM
I'd move my L&M headlamp to my helmet...that way when he tries something stupid you can just blind him and ride away while he flails about.

Oh hold it, that's where I ride with mine.

I can't believe that someone objects to you seeing where you're going. He has a headlamp of some sort, doesn't he?

I'd bet it is your speed, not the light that he's objecting to. (Some people can't tell the difference between self-policing user groups and sheer stupidity)

Bud
09-18-2006, 09:29 AM
The dude sounds like he's got a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock. . .

I think I'd just say "Bro- what's your problem?" next time he pulls some of that sheite.

znfdl
09-18-2006, 09:31 AM
He has a headlamp of some sort, doesn't he?

No headlight but two rear blinkies. Maybe he is a bat and he uses radar to guide himself.

Errr if he uses radar do you think he has a missile? :D

Kevan
09-18-2006, 09:34 AM
his stem's too short.

He'll be so busy going over his bike he won't be able to react as you pass him by.

Too Tall
09-18-2006, 09:39 AM
I'll commute with you for a few days. I'm not a violent person.
Still, I wonder how he'll explain to the police what he's doing wandering around with no cloths on?

Karma will settle his grits...trust me.

dekindy
09-18-2006, 09:42 AM
I think any physical escalation/retaliation by you would be a huge mistake. On the other hand, sometimes all it takes is to show someone like this that you are not intimidated and they will back off.

How do you know that it is the light? Your thread does not indicate that he has communicated to you a reason for his actions. Are you speculating the light is the cause? Sorry to knit pick, but I would have expected him to have said something like, "get that light out of my eyes" to know for sure that was the source of his "rage". Could he be mistaking you for someone else or could his relation or friend have been hassled on the path and you fit the description?

I am very cautious in these situations. If it happens at a very specific time, see if you can have the people responsible for monitoring public safety, police, park ranger, etc, to monitor and deal with this behavior. You never know what is going on with people like this. I hope it does not prevent you from commuting. It sounds like you have dealt with it pretty well so far.

djg
09-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Very strange. A poorly pointed HID can be nasty for oncoming traffic, but it seems like you're doing what you should. Heck, no matter where your light is pointing, his behavior is not just unnecessarily confrontational but downright strange.

I think you've done the right thing. Nobody wants (or should want) a fight with a loony on the MUT, but with two of you there, you could think of asking him what the heck he's doing. I'm actually pessimistic that you'll get a reasonable or productive response, but, on the perhaps dubious assumption that he's not nutty enough to try to jump the two of you at once, you could try it. Maybe the best thing is just what you've done--try to avoid him in your daily commute as best you can, while alerting the police to the fact that there's an issue out there. Intentionally swerving at you is not yet a battery, but it's arguably assault under Virginia law, and the police ought to take it seriously.

GD2002
09-18-2006, 09:58 AM
...however, if he continues doing this and it really bothers you ...I would just ask him why he's acting the way he is.

..and If he refused to explain, think of it as his problem, not yours. Smile back and keep riding....:)

Archibald
09-18-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm telling you guys: throat punch, steal the peach. Throat punch. Steal the peach. In my long and storied career as a cage fighter, I've found that nothing solves a social interaction delimma quite like those two simple moves.

Throat punch.

Steal the peach.

Fun for the whole family!

:beer:

Ginger
09-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Heck...if you have bike cops, have them ride along a couple mornings to see if the guy is still aggressive.

I'm betting it's your speed and perhaps his perception that you're taking up his half of the path. Especially if he's impeding your progress.

I've had people get pissy with me because I didn't move over "soon enough." Strange because I'm one who keeps to my side of the path and gives people plenty of room because face it...I don't know them or their riding abilitiy. But if I didn't move over...like a freak'n half mile away they thought I was trying to run them off the path. Hogging that path all to myself. Uh...ok. No talking reason to people like that. They're threatened no matter what.

I'd slow and ask "Excuse me, do you need assistance?" Kill them with kindness.

Chad Engle
09-18-2006, 10:46 AM
throat punch and then a monkey stealing a peach

Coffee spit onto keyboard. Post of the month.

m_moses
09-18-2006, 11:04 AM
steal the peach.I didn't know there was a name for it.

Watched Sin City this past weekend and saw Hardigan (Bruce Willis) steal Junior's peach. Talk about MP.

znfdl
09-18-2006, 11:16 AM
I am assuming that he objects to my light as he did not have problems riding past me when lights were not needed.

Talked to the police, they said that they can have someone positioned near where the two epsiodes happened. Told them that I just wanted to let them know that something was going on. One of the nice things about living in a smaller town is the personal service.

Also, if this happens tomorrow, I will be snapping a picture of him.

As for a physical altercation, I will try everything to avoid that situation. Will keep you all posted. If I get real creative, I can maybe write a soap opea based on this :D

Alas I prefer not to steal a peach ;)

Ozz
09-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Why not just apologize if you light was bothering him? Not saying he's right, just saying why antagonize him?

I usually put my hand over my light as I approach oncoming cyclists or swivel it a bit more to the right so it doesn't blind them...

On the other hand....he probably wouldn't be expecting you to "steal his peach"...it's almost not fair if he's wearing lycra shorts!

csm
09-18-2006, 11:27 AM
get a full suspension mountain bike and a full face helmet and all the down hill protective garb. next time he gets in your way, run over him like an hummer h1 over a miata.

spiderlake
09-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Any chance you have a bike mirror??

Well, I am convinced that road rage has made it to the W&OD bike path. I commute to work with my L&M HID light which is point slightly down and to the right, which limits the amount of light to oncoming bike traffic. Additionally, the light is on the low setting and I ride to the extreme right of the bike path.

Last week a commuter swerved towards me and gave me the finger.

This morning the same commuter stopped his bike perpendicular to me and my commuting buddy and impeded our progress. He never said a word.

Well, I called to the Vienna, Va. police just to let them know what is going on.

TimB
09-18-2006, 11:54 AM
I'd take TooTall up on his offer. Have him ride in front. If he messes with TT, that's clear proof the Dude's crazy.

(I just had this vision of TT holdin' the guy by the head with one hand, dude is swining his arms trying to punch, but of course isn't coming anywhere close.)

BoulderGeek
09-18-2006, 12:30 PM
OH, CRAP, I'M LAUGHING SO HARD i AM TEARING UP!

[spanish inquisition]
Nobody expects the peach-stealing monkey!

[/spanish inquisition]

72gmc
09-18-2006, 12:37 PM
i think you're already doing two things right: 1) riding with someone else where you might encounter this guy, and 2) reporting his behavior (and hopefully a good description). be prepared for escalation, but don't initiate it yourself.

why is that bandit stealing barry gibbs' peach?

catulle
09-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Does he look like this dude here...? He does, don't 'e...? Sheeit, the same old story.

Grant McLean
09-18-2006, 12:38 PM
I'd be super careful, and if escalation happens, don't hang around.

One of my service shop guys was stabbed 10 times at his DJ gig about
two weeks ago for telling two guys to "take it outside". Fortunately,
the cops got there real quick, Jeff's going to be ok.

He won't be intervening anymore.

g

Orin
09-18-2006, 12:55 PM
I commute to work with my L&M HID light which is point slightly down and to the right, which limits the amount of light to oncoming bike traffic. Additionally, the light is on the low setting and I ride to the extreme right of the bike path.

Even so, HID lights tend to spray light everywhere. Have you looked at it from the point of oncoming traffic?

As common courtesy, most people around here shade their light with a hand when there is oncoming traffic on the trails.

BumbleBeeDave
09-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Did this guy say anything at all to you? Or did he just stand there trying to block you? Did he scowl, mouth anything--express himself at all about what the **** he thought he was doing?

Very strange . . .

BBD

Too Tall
09-18-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm sooo there :) Nobody skrews wit me palz :cool:

znfdl
09-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Did this guy say anything at all to you? Or did he just stand there trying to block you? Did he scowl, mouth anything--express himself at all about what the **** he thought he was doing?

Very strange . . .

BBD

BBD:

He just stood there and said nothing and would not repond to any of our questions. After about 30 seconds, he moved his bike and then rolled down the hill. Very, very weird.

Too Tall:

I leave my house at 5:50am. If you join us, I will even buy you some coffee :D

beungood
09-18-2006, 02:59 PM
For a Coffee, I'd let my Pump handle dance off his brain housing group... :bike:

William
09-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Steal the peach???

Naw, it's called SQUASH THE PEACH...ES!!! :butt:

William :D

BumbleBeeDave
09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
. . . but it also calls to my mind how safe or unsafe bike paths are as I head out of the office to go for a ride myself tonight on our local bikeway. Large portions of it are not easily accessible from roads and one of my riding friends--who happens to also be a lieutenant in the local constabulary--tells me they really have pretty much no way to get back there in the case of an emergency. They have no bike officers or motorcycle patrols. There's no emergency phones and if you did get attacked or otherwise molested it would be a long walk (crawl, stumble, etc.) to a house or phone.

Makes me think harder about who those folks are standing up ahead on the path in the twilight semi-darkness . . .

BBD

ben rabin
09-18-2006, 04:43 PM
After perusing the entries and reading about the grim news of recent bicycle deaths (particularly the young girl on the MS150...not that all aren't sad enough), it was enlightening to hear about the monkey steal the peach move, with a picture to see what in the world you were talking about. I am sure others laughed out loud as I did

Bud
09-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Arch, after I finished wetting myself from excessive laughter, I had to blog the "steal the peach" graphic on our office blog. We're all rolling. . . :D

Too Tall
09-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Actually you can get exactly the same effect by telling really bad knock knock jokes.

Archibald
09-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Steal the peach???

Naw, it's called SQUASH THE PEACH...ES!!! :butt:

William, you are obviously unskilled in the way of the ninja and chi kung. It is indeed "steal the peach" and peach in this case refers to the appearance of the...of the...of what you're stealing. The intent is not to smash, but to remove. A true ninja like myself is very practiced in this art. In my case, I perfected my technique by castrating Wagyu calves in Japan as a young boy. Pretty standard fare, really.

BoulderGeek
09-18-2006, 06:14 PM
William, you are obviously unskilled in the way of the ninja and chi kung. It is indeed "steal the peach" and peach in this case refers to the appearance of the...of the...of what you're stealing. The intent is not to smash, but to remove. A true ninja like myself is very practiced in this art. In my case, I perfected my technique by castrating Wagyu calves in Japan as a young boy. Pretty standard fare, really.

I merely ask the Universe "What would the Flying Spaghetti Monster do?"

Archibald
09-18-2006, 06:23 PM
I merely ask the Universe "What would the Flying Spaghetti Monster do?"
Well of course the FSM was the originator of the Iron Hand style and is expert at affecting the Ch'ueng Mo. All else is quite inconsequential.

sailorboy
09-18-2006, 06:31 PM

Dang, that's where my ski mask went... Hey, tell you ninja friend to stop picking on Sonny Bono.

Too Tall
09-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Archibaldissimo - Bro you got it goin' on boy howdy :) Anywho, on the ranch we use rubber bands. After a week they drop off. Why get get your hands dirty?

Oooo, note to self....remember to pack rubber bands tommorrow morning.

TimB
09-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Note to self: Do not accept invitation to dinner at Archibald's

shoe
09-18-2006, 09:13 PM
carry one of those javolins (?) that they use in bike jausting. that would probably catch him off guard. ya know though you really do have to wonder what goes through the minds of humans at times....dave

William
09-19-2006, 05:58 AM

WAAA TAHHHH!!!
http://www.zmms.tu-berlin.de/modys/team/sandro/martial/big-Leap.jpg

:rolleyes:

That depends if the intent is to leave them in agony, or to leave them to history. Besides, my training in the Philippines taught me that you don't mess around with "grabbing the peach", you let the Bolo/Ginunting/Barong do the work. A lot more effective at getting through that denim then grabbing with hands. Besides, grabbing folks like that might make people think you've got more on your mind then grabbing crotch.......not that there's anything wrong with that.

William

PS: Kneeling down on one knee and reaching out like that will just get you a knee smash in the face. It's called: "Bust the Melon"
:)

palincss
09-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Over the years I've had some people yell about my L&M light, however one fact remains in place. Since I ride nearly every morning these "ragers" show up for a few days then go away.

Have you ever considered the possibility that your light may in fact be too bright, or may be aimed at oncoming cyclists' eyes, thereby blinding them?

I ride the Mt. Vernon trail. There are several people out there with blinding headlights. The worst of the lot by far, though, are those with high intensity helmet-mounted lights. They insist on looking you right in the eye as they approach you. The result is invariably blinding. :crap:

If all you're riding is the W&OD, there's no reason atmo for more than 6v3w.
Keep those prison camp lights at home.

Kevan
09-19-2006, 06:47 AM
how does someone manage to reach through the guy's pants and not so crisp BVDs in order to pluck the fruit? Pull down the fly first? How does one train for this this... stunt? Who is his sparring partner? Certainly they must be a dieing breed.

And to think I used to love eating peachs...

Tom
09-19-2006, 06:56 AM
Have you ever considered the possibility that your light may in fact be too bright, or may be aimed at oncoming cyclists' eyes, thereby blinding them?

If all you're riding is the W&OD, there's no reason atmo for more than 6v3w.
Keep those prison camp lights at home.

I don't know... you never know where somebody is coming from and when they started. The light might be necessary.

Every now and then I meet somebody on the trail who's running one of those lights. I just don't look at it. I look around it. No problem.

I don't want them to stick their hand over their light because they won't be able to see what's on the ground and for the same reason I'm not putting my hand over my light.

znfdl
09-19-2006, 07:37 AM
If all you're riding is the W&OD, there's no reason atmo for more than 6v3w. Keep those prison camp lights at home.

Palin:

I disagree as there are a lot of people who run on the trail in their all black ninja getups. On portions of the path I am easily doing 25mph, when I was using a 10w halogen I would run out of headlight.

HID headlights that come in the opposite direction do not bother me.

Archibald
09-19-2006, 08:18 AM
WAAA TAHHHH!!!
http://www.zmms.tu-berlin.de/modys/team/sandro/martial/big-Leap.jpg

:rolleyes:

That depends if the intent is to leave them in agony, or to leave them to history. Besides, my training in the Philippines taught me that you don't mess around with "grabbing the peach", you let the Bolo/Ginunting/Barong do the work. A lot more effective at getting through that denim then grabbing with hands. Besides, grabbing folks like that might make people think you've got more on your mind then grabbing crotch.......not that there's anything wrong with that.

William

PS: Kneeling down on one knee and reaching out like that will just get you a knee smash in the face. It's called: "Bust the Melon"
William, your leap is impressive, but I easily counter that with my "ka-ching" Sig Sauer P220 technique. It is best to maintain contact with the ground where one can better use the Newtonian advantages. Besides, denim is no more than cobwebs to an Iron Hand master like myself and it is very hard to kick when your testicles have been turned into duck soup. Agony is fleeting, stealing the peach is forever!

Never underestimate your opponent; the blade is not always observed.

William
09-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Yes, I'm also a Master of Ching-Ching Pow.

Archi-pal, all you need is love........and a sharp blade.....a hardwood flat stick......Oh, oh, oh and a Paraordinance lda 14.45 loaded with 230 grain hydra shocks,ranger SXT's or golden sabres.

William

Archibald
09-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Why get get your hands dirty?
This simple phrase captures everything about the American work ethic today: immigrant labor and Chinese craftsmanship.

It is not work if you enjoy what you are doing, TT. My business is my pleasure.

Archibald
09-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Yes, I'm also a Master of Ching-Ching Pow.

Archi-pal, all you need is love........and a sharp blade.....a hardwood flat stick......Oh, oh, oh and a Paraordinance lda 14.45 loaded with 230 grain hydra shocks,ranger SXT's or golden sabres.

William
Like this? :D

I find it inferior to both the Sig and the Kimber techniques, but nonetheless, it is skilled.

William
09-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Ahhhh, your choice of weapons is most commendable Grasshopper. :cool:

Erik.Lazdins
09-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Palin:

I disagree as there are a lot of people who run on the trail in their all black ninja getups. On portions of the path I am easily doing 25mph, when I was using a 10w halogen I would run out of headlight.

Oncoming HIDs don't bother me either, and they don't bother early morning "regulars"

The problem lies with those who see a bright light and stare into it until they wonder why it hurts their eyes. If you focus on where your going, the light won't be a problem.

After nearly getting run down by a trash truck a couple years back, I parked the Turbo Cat light in favor of my L&M HID.

Now back to the thread... Did the fruitcake show up this morning and block the path?

be safe and ride well.

Too Tall
09-19-2006, 09:13 AM
He turned off the path just in time to get a load of what's comin' and kept going. Good, I like it when problems solve themselves :)

Lest anyone thinks I'm going to give the guy a beat down you are wrong. I'll make him p!ss his pants but no violence..ain't my style. If anyone reaches for me I'm all in, Ghandi I'm not.

How would you deal?

dave thompson
09-19-2006, 09:27 AM

I find it inferior to both the Sig and the Kimber techniques, but nonetheless, it is skilled.
For group rides..

Archibald
09-19-2006, 09:37 AM
For group rides..
Very nice, Mr. Thompson, but 9mm is soOooo 1980's. Considering your name, a 9mm is sacrilege!

Did John Wayne carry a 9mm when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!

Hell no!

Since 1911, real men have carried a .45, Dave. A .45. Divest yourself of all things 9mm. OK, you can keep one for your wife's purse or something...but only if she is frail and can't handle a .45!

catulle
09-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Ok, so where is it that we're going...?

dave thompson
09-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Very nice, Mr. Thompson, but 9mm is soOooo 1980's. Considering your name, a 9mm is sacrilege!

Did John Wayne carry a 9mm when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!

Hell no!

Since 1911, real men have carried a .45, Dave. A .45. Divest yourself of all things 9mm. OK, you can keep one for your wife's purse or something...but only if she is frail and can't handle a .45!

Ah yes, but if you were really observant :D you would see only 1 9MM. You would also see a full sized .40, a compact .40 and a compact .45. However those are my son's toys. Mine are the real guns, pictured below.

William
09-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Firepower...firepower at night (sung to white punks on dope).

http://www.esca21.com/GunBigPhoto/DESERT%20EAGLE.jpg

http://halojumper.com/desert-eagle.jpg

William ;)

slowgoing
09-19-2006, 10:22 AM
If it was me, I'd start riding my mountain bike to work. As you approach, yell out "on your [right][left]" then plow on through.

Actually, since you already called the police, I wouldn't do anything drastic. Maybe take a digital camera and snap a few pics of him blocking the path, and say something like "say cheese for the Vienna police department, please." He's likely to do one of two things. Stop it completely or snap into full road rage. Either way, it will be over soon.

The guy is dangerous needs to see the inside of a courtroom, criminal or civil. That should give him a dose of perspective.

catulle
09-19-2006, 10:38 AM
If it were me...?

slowgoing
09-19-2006, 10:40 AM
If it were me...?

But it weren't.

palincss
09-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Palin:

Well, right there's one problem. 25 mph on the W&OD is, atmo, entirely too fast in broad daylight, never mind at night with a light on.

csm
09-19-2006, 11:29 AM
while this thread has been entertaining, and my suggestion included; all he did was give you the finger and block the path. hardly the stuff of psychopaths.
now if he was riding a litespeed with dura ace, then I'd agree....

Tom
09-19-2006, 12:03 PM
and a little hard to lug around but this is my weapon of choice.

William
09-19-2006, 12:29 PM
BRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP!!!!!

http://tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/uh-1m-19.jpg

http://tonova.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/minigun.jpg

William :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
09-19-2006, 12:33 PM
. . . and I guarantee he will leave you a wide berth . . . ;)

BBD

znfdl
09-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Well, right there's one problem. 25 mph on the W&OD is, atmo, entirely too fast in broad daylight, never mind at night with a light on.

Palin:

The W&OD and the Custis trails have some hills. To remain under 25mph I would have to ride the brakes. Also at 5:50am the path is somewhat sparsely populated.

djg
09-19-2006, 01:20 PM

There are folks who ride far too fast on crowded and/or twisty sections of the trail (and don't get me started on the wandering line, tri-bars folks who look like they're trying to avoid hostile fire--think, Peter Falk, in the In-laws, yelling "Serpentine, Leo, serpentine!"). No doubt about. I wouldn't rush to lump our pal znfndl in with that crowd however. He's riding in from Vienna. There are some long straight stretches with good visibility and a moderate downhill pitch along the way, and one actual hill, and there's no reason why, under the right conditions, one couldn't ride at a good clip while still riding safely and giving others a wide berth.

Too Tall
09-19-2006, 01:25 PM
DJG says: "under the right conditions, one couldn't ride at a good clip while still riding safely and giving others a wide berth."
It was, he does and we did :) B-day boy is one great bike rider.

Yo William - why does she scream?

djg
09-19-2006, 11:06 PM
DJG says: "under the right conditions, one couldn't ride at a good clip while still riding safely and giving others a wide berth."
It was, he does and we did :) B-day boy is one great bike rider.

Yo William - why does she scream?

Yo, TT, dude, no complaints here about the birthday boy's bike handling skills. And yet, not everyone is a careful reader. Once more, with feeling:

"... there's no reason why, under the right conditions, one couldn't ride at a good clip while still riding safely and giving others a wide berth."

That is, contra palincss's suggestion, one could, in fact, ride the path safely at 25 mph.

Too Tall
09-20-2006, 06:24 AM
That's a RODGER :)

While we wait for today's installment from ZNFNDL which hopefully is a non event.

djcwardog
09-20-2006, 04:07 PM

Finally, a pistol for Colonels like me... My old Govt Model .45 is still in service defending the homestead. I do like the look of this piece, however... A .40 cal auto pistol is also an excellent choice. get your concealed carry permit and you can put one in a fanny pack holster - bananas and Goo optional!

palincss
09-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Palin:

The W&OD and the Custis trails have some hills. To remain under 25mph I would have to ride the brakes. Also at 5:50am the path is somewhat sparsely populated.

And the problem with putting your brakes on to remain at some safer speed under 25 mph on the W&OD and Custis Trails is what, exactly?

That you can reach those speeds is not ATMO any justification for riding at those speeds if conditions make it unwise and unsafe. And ATMO neither the W&OD nor the Custis provide many, if any, places where going all out is a safe thing to do.

znfdl
09-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Palin:

I go those speeds when there is no one on a straight away on the path. When there are joggers or cyclists I back off to 18-19mph. If it is more congested then I back off to 12-14 mph. At 6:00am there are long stretches with no one on my side of the path. I adjust my speed to the conditions on the path. Hate to say it but at 25mph I am not going all out, but have a nice spin with 4-5 cogs left in the rear.

Grant McLean
09-20-2006, 06:46 PM
And the problem with putting your brakes on to remain at some safer speed under 25 mph on the W&OD and Custis Trails is what, exactly?

That you can reach those speeds is not ATMO any justification for riding at those speeds if conditions make it unwise and unsafe. And ATMO neither the W&OD nor the Custis provide many, if any, places where going all out is a safe thing to do.

call 1-800-HOWSMYRIDING and report him...

g