PDA

View Full Version : OT - floor jack for working on cars?

NHAero
10-28-2017, 08:29 AM
What do you like for the amateur mechanic, who is going to use it just a few times a year? Biggest vehicle is a 2001 Ford Ranger.
Thanks!

Tickdoc
10-28-2017, 08:37 AM
I like ones from a pawn shop or garage sale....the older the better.

Bought mine from a neighbor who’s husband was a mechanic for about $40. american steel from the sixties, weighs about 40 lbs. It will outlast me 5x. Twist handle to release, tighten handle to pump.

eddief
10-28-2017, 08:58 AM
probably good enough.

commonguy001
10-28-2017, 08:59 AM
I've had a Torin 3.5 ton for 10-15 years and it's been pretty solid. Super heavy but it also gets used on a 1 ton truck.
Whatever you get don't forget a set of jack stands, go bigger than smaller.

jds108
10-28-2017, 09:16 AM
I've had three hydraulic floor jacks. All eventually started leaking oil after say 5 - 10 years. How does a person choose one that won't suffer that same fate?

false_Aest
10-28-2017, 09:17 AM
Harbor Freight jack works. Been using one pretty regularly. Works like it should. The downside are the casters -- they suck.

Seems obvious but:
Never rely on your jack to keep your vehicle in the air.
Inspect your jack stands.
If you're unsure about where to place them don't guess.

My GF's half-brother was killed when a jackstand collapsed . . . Closed casket funeral.

I dunno if the jackstand failed, if it was used improperly, if it was user error, if it was knocked out, etc. Doesn't matter, he's dead.

SlowPokePete
10-28-2017, 09:30 AM
35 plus years ago pumping gas and kind of working on cars, always loved how easy a floor jack was to use. I always wanted to get one, but never did.

Then, a couple of years ago we bought our current house, which came with one at lease from a vintage close to my days ay Rye Ridge Mobil...dig having that thing.

Definitely something nice to have in the garage vs. fishing out the pos that came with your car.

SPP

Ken Robb
10-28-2017, 09:38 AM
Many of my racer pals love their aluminum jacks. While they MAY not be as stout as steel jacks none of them have worn one out over 8+ years of use. They are easier to maneuver and store due to their lighter weight. A couple of guys hang them on the wall to store them using minimum floor space.

bobswire
10-28-2017, 10:35 AM
I do most of my own wrenching on cars as I do on bikes and have had this one from Harbor Freight for 2 years and it works great,its' low enough it fits under my nephews sport car with those low wheels and strong enough to handle my 15 year old Ford Explorer. I also use floor jacks w/ (jack stands)when working underneath as well as changing break pads for safety sake. It's also $26 cheaper than when I bought mine.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68048.html

Marlin
10-28-2017, 11:50 AM
I have one by Craftsman, works great for occasional use. About $40.00.

NHAero
10-28-2017, 12:07 PM
Thanks, this looks like the ticket. Cheaper than on Amazon too!

I do most of my own wrenching on cars as I do on bikes and have had this one from Harbor Freight for 2 years and it works great,its' low enough it fits under my nephews sport car with those low wheels and strong enough to handle my 15 year old Ford Explorer. I also use floor jacks w/ (jack stands)when working underneath as well as changing break pads for safety sake. It's also $26 cheaper than when I bought mine.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68048.html

Fatty
10-28-2017, 12:11 PM
I have one by Craftsman, works great for occasional use. About $40.00.

Hi, Hey and Hello Marlin.

My Craftsman cost me about $40. 25 years ago. Works flawlessly. Not sure new ones last that long regardless of price, but if I needed a new one I would probably reluctantly buy a low profile aluminum jack from harbor freight.

Abelicoln
10-28-2017, 12:55 PM
I have a Craftsman that works but the best thing I ever did was to befriend someone with a lift. Can barely bring myself to crawl under my car ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

likebikes
10-28-2017, 01:36 PM
the most common floor jack i've seen in auto mechanic shops (and trust me, i've been in many) has been the pittsburgh harborfreight one.

once when i bought a used car there was a kind of junky floor jack in the trunk, and that's the one currently use.

tip: look on craigslist first for a floor jack and jack stands.

cmbicycles
10-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Craigslist, or yard sales can be a great place to buy one. I bought an aluminum floor jack, 4 jack stands, creeper, ramps, and more for $100 on Craigslist. I sold what I didn't need and came out ahead... There are sometimes good deals, especially when people are moving. If the jack leaks, usually just needs a o-ring or two to fix it.

Always use jack stands instead of trusting your life to a $.50 o-ring.

weaponsgrade
10-28-2017, 02:41 PM
I use a Harbor Freight heavy duty floor jack and steel jack stands. Once the car is up on the jack stands, I'll leave the floor jack in place as a backup.

cderalow
10-28-2017, 02:45 PM
Ive got a lighter weight craftsman one that’s been leaking oil that I’ve had for like 15 years. It’s in need of a cylinder rebuild.

I’ve also got a 3 ton rated husky from Home Depot with a pair of matching stands that works great.

Lifts my minivan with no issue.

With a pickup make sure you’ve got one with enough lift height and capacity. My craftsman wouldn’t lift a previous sport utility due to the lift range. It could hold the weight but didn’t have enough throw to put it up effectively on stands.

As others have said, make sure you’ve got jack stands. I like to throw the tires under as well just as a safety measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtdiggler
10-28-2017, 02:48 PM
Don't forget about the harbor freight 20% coupons too.

weisan
10-28-2017, 02:52 PM
My usual answer:
Costco

shovelhd
10-28-2017, 02:59 PM
I have two of these (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/teq-correct-2.5t-alum-steel-jack-941pv/10014616-P), made by Torin. I got them on sale for $89.99 each. They've worked out well. Not super light like a racing aluminum jack but much lighter than an equivalent steel jack. The side handles are handy (yuk yuk).

GScot
10-28-2017, 06:51 PM
Aluminum racing jack with $69 coupon at harbor freight. Deal varies month to month but it won't take long for that price to come around. I have one and it is good enough. Also have a $$$ version from Matco that has more capacity and lift height and weighs a bit less. But I always use the harbor freight jack due to smaller size and narrower front wheels. It's easier to get jack stand closer to the jack and on some cars that can be an issue.

weisan
10-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Aluminum racing jack with $69 coupon at harbor freight. Deal varies month to month but it won't take long for that price to come around. I have one and it is good enough. Also have a $$$ version from Matco that has more capacity and lift height and weighs a bit less. But I always use the harbor freight jack due to smaller size and narrower front wheels. It's easier to get jack stand closer to the jack and on some cars that can be an issue.

I got that alum racing jack from HF as well. Light, nimble and fast to operate, and yes, having that low clearance is great. Bought it with a coupon at some stupid low price.

josephr
10-28-2017, 08:03 PM

+1 on this one --- its the one I had back when I had a garage. Works great...

+1000 on using jack-stands and be double-triple-sure they're set....

carpediemracing
10-28-2017, 08:23 PM
I got some generic 3 ton jack probably 15 years ago. Wasn't low enough to jack up my stock 350Z. I have some home made wood "ramps" (just two 2x6s stacked on top of one another; used for lifting front just 4 inches or so, enough to change oil without risking jack failure) as well as actual (plastic) ramps (used for when lifting higher, like exhaust work at home).

Jack is still going strong but it's a bear to transport. I'm guessing it's about 75-80 lbs. I'm thinking of getting an aluminum jack to help save my back.

I have and use jackstands (3 ton also). And I'll put my wheels down under the car. Chocks. Always on pavement or concrete.

At work they just bought a slew of harbor freight jacks. We use them when the bays are full.

Mikej
10-29-2017, 06:14 AM
Go over to Garage Journal forums and look for the jacks thread -I have a HF Daytona 200$. I was a heavy equipment mechanic at one point in my life, my best advice is to take your vehicles someplace and pay to have it fixed while you surf the forum. Even as I jack up a vehicle I think of the problems that could happen, take extreme caution and remember anything can break, even 2 day old 1200$ snap on jacks.

cderalow
10-29-2017, 07:21 AM
I got some generic 3 ton jack probably 15 years ago. Wasn't low enough to jack up my stock 350Z. I have some home made wood "ramps" (just two 2x6s stacked on top of one another; used for lifting front just 4 inches or so, enough to change oil without risking jack failure) as well as actual (plastic) ramps (used for when lifting higher, like exhaust work at home).

Jack is still going strong but it's a bear to transport. I'm guessing it's about 75-80 lbs. I'm thinking of getting an aluminum jack to help save my back.

I have and use jackstands (3 ton also). And I'll put my wheels down under the car. Chocks. Always on pavement or concrete.

At work they just bought a slew of harbor freight jacks. We use them when the bays are full.

Be careful on pavement as the weight of a car on an unsteady jack stand can be focused enough to dent or cause asphalt failure. When I lift on a blacktop, I always put some ¾” plywood under my stands to make surest a non-issue.

donevwil
10-29-2017, 12:17 PM
My usual answer:
Costco

2nd this one, the aluminum construction of the nice one they sell (https://www.costco.com/3-Ton-Professional-Grade-Aluminum-And-Steel-Service-Jack.product.100222458.html)drops some serious weight. Good quality.

Tony T
10-29-2017, 01:36 PM
OT - floor jack for working on cars?
What do you like for the amateur mechanic, who is going to use it just a few times a year? Biggest vehicle is a 2001 Ford Ranger.
Thanks!

If you only want a floor jack to work on your car — Don't
Get a pair of jack stands and a floor jack.

Ken Robb
10-29-2017, 03:45 PM
The Harbor Freight ad in my newspaper today has their aluminum jack marked down from $79 to $59.

NHAero
10-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Have a pair of jack stands but was using the jack that comes with the car, so looking forward to the floor jack. I never get under the car except to change the oil and then I drive the car up onto doubled 2x material, no jacks or jackstands involved. But this thread does remind me about the jackstands!

If you only want a floor jack to work on your car — Don't
Get a pair of jack stands and a floor jack.

likebikes
10-30-2017, 12:50 AM
a floor jack to simply change the oil? on a ranger ????

NHAero
10-30-2017, 05:20 AM
No, unrelated - Ranger is just the heaviest vehicle I'll be lifting.

a floor jack to simply change the oil? on a ranger ????

Corso
10-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Jack stands are a must! Takes a few more minutes, can be a pain to position, but really, the alternative is not pretty.

My jack is small in size, had it for man, like over 25 years now. No name, chinese harbor freight type long before I knew what HB was.

Steel. Just like my jack stands, old steel.

rePhil
10-30-2017, 10:42 AM
I used a HF jack on my 02 Ranger for years. No problem. Where I did run int a problem was trying to use it on our Mustang. It was too low for the jack to roll under. HF also has a good ball joint press for when the time comes on your Ranger.

No, unrelated - Ranger is just the heaviest vehicle I'll be lifting.

NHAero
10-30-2017, 11:07 AM
Ha! I bought this as a "farm truck" in the sense that it rarely leaves the Island and gets 1,200 miles a year on it. But I have put more $ into it than all the Hondas I've owned over about 40 years :) So no need about ball joints, already done (cooing system, brakes, alternator, front suspension, shocks all around...)

I used a HF jack on my 02 Ranger for years. No problem. Where I did run int a problem was trying to use it on our Mustang. It was too low for the jack to roll under. HF also has a good ball joint press for when the time comes on your Ranger.

rePhil
10-30-2017, 11:39 AM
Mine was low mileage too, and most of those were "loaner" miles. Other disappointments considering the maintained miles / condition included a leaky heater core (that's fun) A squeaky cam synchronizer (more fun) and the rear door release cables. Other than that it was a great truck :) that got horrible mileage.

Ha! I bought this as a "farm truck" in the sense that it rarely leaves the Island and gets 1,200 miles a year on it. But I have put more $ into it than all the Hondas I've owned over about 40 years :) So no need about ball joints, already done (cooing system, brakes, alternator, front suspension, shocks all around...)

shovelhd
10-30-2017, 01:58 PM
I had a 99 Ranger with the 4.0 and manual transmission. That transmission was never designed to handle the torque of the 4.0. I blew the first one at 67K and it was about to blow a second time at 138K. Clockwork. Don't ever get that combination.

Fatty
10-31-2017, 09:31 AM
I had a 99 Ranger with the 4.0 and manual transmission. That transmission was never designed to handle the torque of the 4.0. I blew the first one at 67K and it was about to blow a second time at 138K. Clockwork. Don't ever get that combination.

I had a '98 with the 4.0 and the somewhat rare at that time five speed automatic. Loved that truck. Would still be driving it if rust hadn't ate it up.

srcarter
10-31-2017, 12:00 PM
I've been using a Harbor Freight jack for about 3 years to do annual change to snow tires. I got one that was around $70 on sale. It has worked perfectly.

I also have been using the HF electric impact wrench for the tire task. It takes about 20 minutes for me to swap all four tires.

carpediemracing
11-01-2017, 06:01 AM
Be careful on pavement as the weight of a car on an unsteady jack stand can be focused enough to dent or cause asphalt failure. When I lift on a blacktop, I always put some ¾” plywood under my stands to make surest a non-issue.

Thanks for the tip.

Today I vetoed me putting the snows on the Missus's Civic. I'll go to work tomorrow to get them on, in a work bay that has a lift.

Reminds me, I need to get a second set of center caps for her OEM wheels.