PDA

View Full Version : What 28-32C tires do you like?

rpm
09-17-2006, 10:29 PM
I'm building up a new rambler and would like some recommendations on wider tires. Which 700 x 28c and 32c tires are your favorites?

Bradford
09-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Rolly Polly is the way to go.

Marburg
09-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Another vote here for the Rolly-Polly/Ruffy-Tuffy family.

sw3759
09-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Rolly Polly is a super nice 27mm..for a 700x32 the Panaracer Pasela is the way to go IMHO

bfd
09-18-2006, 12:47 AM
For a *fast,* relatively lightweight slick clincher, check out the Avocet Fasgrips. Many people like Sheldon Brown really like them. For 700x28, there is the Avocet Fasgrip Duro; 700x32 Avocet Fasgrip Duro Plus. The main problem is they are hard to find. However, Sheldon Brown, gtgtandems, lickton and World Class Cycles sell them online. Check it out, you won't be sorry!

ndoshi72c
09-18-2006, 01:29 AM
Continental Gatorskin/K 700X28. They are racey and tough and easy to find, and are still skinny enough to get into standard road bikes.

Ray
09-18-2006, 05:41 AM
Continental Gatorskin/K 700X28. They are racey and tough and easy to find, and are still skinny enough to get into standard road bikes.
Except that a Conti 28 seems to really be about 25, or the same size as a Michelin 23 and smaller than a Michelin 25. I agree with the Roly Poly for the small end of your range and the Avocet for the fatter end. Paselas are nice in some ways, but are not as round in cross section as either the Roly Poly or the Avocet. They have a raised center ridge that makes cornering feel like you're diving off the edge of the world. They roll pretty well, but so do the others, without this shortcoming.

-Ray

DfCas
09-18-2006, 05:57 AM
I'd like to extend the question up to tires as big as ~40.I have some Paselas and I really don't like them thay much.I find them slow rolling,not all that cushy,and tha handling is less than ideal.They are,however,tough.I have the ones marked 35 and 32 but they run pretty small.

Are there any really nice slicks in the 30-40 range?

I'd also consider tubulars but I can't find -any- oferrings in big sizes.

Thanks,dan

BarryG
09-18-2006, 06:10 AM
The recommendation would be dependent on road surface, which you didn't mention. For pavement, the Avocet Fasgrips are nice. FWIW, their 700X28C are a true 28mm wide. I picked up some Vittoria Zaffiro Pro 700X28C which have an aggressive crosshatch tread, but they actually measure about 26mm.

rpm
09-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will be riding mostly on chipseal roads and limestone covered paths, with an occasional venture onto gravel. I tried some Conti GP 28's but found that they were skinnier than the Conti 4000 25s that I have on my regular road bike. By the way, I just love those 4000's. They feel great and I've had no flats, which I attribute the vectran layer in them. I just saw on the Conti web site that in October they're bringing out some new vectran touring tires. Maybe I'll hold out for a pair of those in 32.

Bradford
09-18-2006, 10:35 AM
I just saw on the Conti web site that in October they're bringing out some new vectran touring tires. Maybe I'll hold out for a pair of those in 32.

I've run Conti Top tours for 15 years now on my touring bike. I use the 700 x 37 for loaded touring and swear by them. I used both the 28s and 32s on the bike without a load and they are nice, comfy tires. I recently took off the top tours and put on the Rolly Pollys so I could pump up the pressure a bit. I find that for riding without panniers I prefer tires in the 100 to 105 psi range and the Conti top tours are only rated to 85 psi.

One of my current loops involves about 5 miles of dirt road, and both the Rolly Pollys and the Contis handle it well. So I'd say either one would satisfy your needs.

So, the Conti touring tires are a great choice, especially in the higher sizes, but are not the fastest tires in the world.

Bittersweet
09-18-2006, 11:33 AM
If you are considering Roly Polys think about the Michelin Pro 25c. These measure quite large and are very close to the Roly Poly in size. I made the switch from the Michelin 23 to these in August and I'm really liking them. This is the small side of your range but again Michelin's run large. Get DBRK to chime in on this post or send a PM as he seems to have really tried them all in the 25-35c range. I went with the Michelin 25 based on his advice. Served me well.

palincss
09-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Another vote here for the Rolly-Polly/Ruffy-Tuffy family.

++

palincss
09-18-2006, 11:46 AM
If you are considering Roly Polys think about the Michelin Pro 25c. These measure quite large and are very close to the Roly Poly in size. I made the switch from the Michelin 23 to these in August and I'm really liking them. This is the small side of your range but again Michelin's run large. Get DBRK to chime in on this post or send a PM as he seems to have really tried them all in the 25-35c range. I went with the Michelin 25 based on his advice. Served me well.

I use both - the Michelins on a Spectrum that won't clear anything larger. Although the Michelin 25 is way better than a 23, it's not IMO in a class with the larger, cushier, more voluminous RP/RTs. I think it's best though of as "the best thing in a 23mm size" rather than as a "27-28mm".

bfd
09-18-2006, 12:13 PM
I use both - the Michelins on a Spectrum that won't clear anything larger. Although the Michelin 25 is way better than a 23, it's not IMO in a class with the larger, cushier, more voluminous RP/RTs. I think it's best though of as "the best thing in a 23mm size" rather than as a "27-28mm".

My Calfee with kestrel fork won't clear anything larger than a 25mm. I really like the old Japanese-made, tan sidewall, Avocet Fasgrip Road 30, which is incorrectly labeled 700x28, but actually measure 24-26mm wide. I haven't tried the Riv tires, but Avocet tires are true "slicks," and have arguably one of the lowest rolling resistance tested.

I'm currently trying out the new Korean-made, all black Avocet Fasgrip Road 700x25 tire and find them to be OK. Pumped up to 90-100psi and either are very, very cushy (at least for me).

Then again, if "cushiness" is the goal, then you're probably better off doing a 650B (584mm) conversion!

72gmc
09-18-2006, 12:31 PM
i won't disagree with ray about the shape of the panaracer paselas, but i'm used to it and like them just fine.

i've had good luck with lighter weight vittoria tires and thought i might try the randonneurs... but i'm getting good puncture protection with the panaracers so pushing an extra pound per tire doesn't seem to be worth it.

sw3759
09-18-2006, 12:46 PM
"I have some Paselas and I really don't like them thay much.I find them slow rolling,not all that cushy,and tha handling is less than ideal.They are,however,tough.I have the ones marked 35 and 32 but they run pretty small."

you are likely running the old style Pasela if it has a raised center ridge and is smaller than the marked size indicates.a year or so ago the changed to a more round tread and a made the sizes more true..the 32mm measures a true 32 or thereabouts.

dbrk
09-18-2006, 07:20 PM
We'll be seeing a likely 34c version, a wider RolyPoly in due time. I have it on good word. THAT will rock my world. I love the RP, prefer it to the tougher RT because it is pliant and supple and reminds me of old sew-ups. Dugast 28c are the plum but we all know what they cost...Michelin 25c ProRace are the only 25s that measure 25 and all of the Contis run small. Conti used to make a tire called the Avenue Slick that was FAT and a good ride. A. Homer Hilsen will need a big tire but most are, to my tastes, over-built and not round enough, with too much rise. Paselas solved that a few years back but I still think there's room for a really nice fat 700c. There are plenty now in 650B, thank goodness.

dbrk

palincss
09-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Then again, if "cushiness" is the goal, then you're probably better off doing a 650B (584mm) conversion!

No need for that: I have a Saluki and my Kogswell P/R came on Saturday, and is sitting in a box in the basement right now.

My goals with the Michelin 25s are simply to not have to run at 120psi and above, and to not have numb, tingling hands after riding on the coarsest grades of pavement.

jbay
09-18-2006, 09:59 PM
I'd like to extend the question up to tires as big as ~40. [...]
Are there any really nice slicks in the 30-40 range?

It depends on what your exact preferences are, but Schwalbe's Marathon Slicks (available in a nominal 700x35C which measures 37mm wide on a 22mm wide rim) or Marathon Racers (available in 700x38C and the measured width matches!) may be of interest. You won't find them being used in le Tour, but if you're interested in tyres this wide, that probably goes without saying. They roll well, corner nicely and provide a very plush ride.

Peter White has 'em:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schwalbe.asp

-- John

jbay
09-18-2006, 10:11 PM
We'll be seeing a likely 34c version, a wider RolyPoly in due time. I have it on good word. THAT will rock my world.

That is good news alright.

I love the RP, prefer it to the tougher RT because it is pliant and supple and reminds me of old sew-ups.

Agreed. The difference between the two tyres is like night and day.

Conti used to make a tire called the Avenue Slick that was FAT and a good ride.

That was a 26"/ISO 559 tyre though, n'est-ce pas? As ever with Continentals, the sidewalls were fragile though, especially under tandem use.

Paselas solved that a few years back but I still think there's room for a really nice fat 700c.

Hmmm, I never really liked Paselas myself, although I have carried a foldable one as a spare on many occasions because it was the fattest foldable that I could find. Schwalbe's Marathon Racer now takes over in that position though.

For the cushiest possible ride, Schwalbe also make the Big Apple but I too will not complain about more choices in the arena of nice, fat 700C tyres.

-- John

FierteTi52
09-18-2006, 10:31 PM
We'll be seeing a likely 34c version, a wider RolyPoly in due time. I have it on good word. THAT will rock my world.
dbrk
Douglas,
Did you talk Grant into doing the tire in a blackwall?
Jeff

shinomaster
09-18-2006, 10:37 PM

dirtdigger88
09-19-2006, 08:30 AM
now THESE are fat-

Jason

shinomaster
09-19-2006, 11:00 AM
no, those are phat yo-