PDA

View Full Version : PSA Rock Lobster

brs
10-26-2017, 07:54 AM
Not mine, but a very nice lobsta for those in the Bay Area

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/bik/d/rock-lobster-steel-road-bike/6359885014.html

ANAO
10-26-2017, 08:07 AM
Not mine, but a very nice lobsta for those in the Bay Area

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/bik/d/rock-lobster-steel-road-bike/6359885014.html

That matte grey is really nice. And those chainstays! Remind me of vagen.
Headtube looks tapered...or is it just my imagination? Looks to be about 175-180 with cups, 55 or 55.5 or maybe even 56 top tube.

That's really a great build.

https://images.craigslist.org/00k0k_1FxsmKdsZQX_1200x900.jpg

ColonelJLloyd
10-26-2017, 08:41 AM
Definitely tapered. When did including headset cups in a HT measurement become a thing? I'm against it.

ANAO
10-26-2017, 08:43 AM
Definitely tapered. When did including headset cups in a HT measurement become a thing? I'm against it.Why? It helps with overall stack height.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ColonelJLloyd
10-26-2017, 08:47 AM
Why? It helps with overall stack height.

Because HT cups aren't part of the frame and not all headsets are the same. What can you not figure out about how the frame stack will translate to your own fit that the included headset info will help you with?

It's useful to know whether a frame employs an internal or external headset. Beyond that it's some simple math; no need to add more variables to the equation that may not apply.

Put another way, I wouldn't buy this without seeing the geo from Rock Lobster and that geo isn't going to reflect the headset.

It's not a big deal either way because I can figure it out, but I don't need nor want to know a HT length that measures the top of the top cup to the bottom of the bottom cup.

ANAO
10-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Because HT cups aren't part of the frame and not all headsets are the same. What can you not figure out about how the frame stack will translate to your own fit that the included headset info will help you with?

It's useful to know whether a frame employs an internal or external headset. Beyond that it's some simple math; no need to add more variables to the equation that may not apply.

Put another way, I wouldn't buy this without seeing the geo from Rock Lobster and that geo isn't going to reflect the headset.

If the geo chart tells me the headtube is 150, I would need to know if it had external cups or not. If not, it would be too aggressive.

I guess you can use your eyeballs here to figure that out :)

ColonelJLloyd
10-26-2017, 09:02 AM
The color is great. I always equate those chain stays with S3 tubing, but I don't know if other makers make stays with the same shape. I'm guessing so.

tuscanyswe
10-26-2017, 09:06 AM
The color is great. I always equate those chain stays with S3 tubing, but I don't know if other makers make stays with the same shape. I'm guessing so.

Those were quite common on older IFs for instance. But i guess IF moved on to better ones since then .)

Pelican
10-26-2017, 09:59 AM
It's not a big deal either way because I can figure it out, but I don't need nor want to know a HT length that measures the top of the top cup to the bottom of the bottom cup.

Counterpoint: I recently sold my Serotta and potential buyers asked for HT length with and without the Chris King headset.

This is a nice Lobsta, but Paul has a new one in his shop for not much more. It's a 55cm with the new R8000 Ultegra on it. If it was a 53cm it would be mine.

FlashUNC
10-26-2017, 10:18 AM

Fwiw, when my Della Santa and Rock Lobster were built, both Roland and Paul asked and we discussed what headset I was going to use. They included that in their designs to ensure the geometry was exactly what they wanted.

doomridesout
10-26-2017, 11:51 AM
Yeah if anyone wants an essentially identical bike in every respect except aluminum, Paul had one for sale at the same price a month or so ago-- same color scheme, similar 55cm/tall fit, same DA/Hed wheels, but Ultegra R8000 instead of 6800. Really cool.

dubrat
10-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Pretty sure Paul sold this one complete about 5 months ago.

ANAO
10-26-2017, 03:38 PM
Pretty sure Paul sold this one complete about 5 months ago.

Per the listing, it was 8 months ago :)

chiasticon
10-26-2017, 04:23 PM
When did including headset cups in a HT measurement become a thing? I'm against it.when did not including any measurements of a custom frame become a thing? I'm against it.

velotrack
10-26-2017, 05:29 PM
based on paul's facebook post, 145mm headtube (from what it looks like, not including cups), 55cm top tube, 51cm c-c seat tube.

ANAO
10-26-2017, 05:31 PM
based on paul's facebook post, 145mm headtube (from what it looks like, not including cups), 55cm top tube, 51cm c-c seat tube.So we're not including cups anymore?

velotrack
10-26-2017, 05:35 PM
So we're not including cups anymore?

what do you mean? i'd add maybe 2-2.5cm for cups.

ANAO
10-26-2017, 06:35 PM
All in the flavor of the thread. Scroll Up!