fiamme red
10-25-2017, 11:13 PM
What a crazy game!

Ken Robb
10-25-2017, 11:18 PM
It isn't boring is it?

fiamme red
10-25-2017, 11:37 PM
It isn't boring is it?Finally I can go to sleep. :)

hokoman
10-25-2017, 11:39 PM
I'm not a baseball fan, but I'm always impressed when a team scores more runs than they have hits.

beeatnik
10-25-2017, 11:47 PM
:mad:

fiamme red
10-25-2017, 11:49 PM
I never before saw a second-base umpire hit by a pick-off throw. :confused:

MattTuck
10-26-2017, 06:09 AM
Early morning today, so had to go to bed after 9th inning last night. Sounds like I missed the best parts of the game.

ColonelJLloyd
10-26-2017, 08:38 AM
I never before saw a second-base umpire hit by a pick-off throw. :confused:

True, but I can't remember the last time I saw a pick-off throw that terrible. That fella ain't no Yadier Molina.

Mark McM
10-26-2017, 09:29 AM
I can't take a game seriously if it claims their championship to be "World" Series, and yet fails to invite the rest of the world. None of the other major professional sports in the US calls their league championships a "World" championship.

Little League baseball also calls its championship a "World Series" - but at lest it actually invites the rest of the world.

alancw3
10-26-2017, 09:39 AM
that game was such a boost for the nation's favorite pastime that was declining in recent years but kudos to the players for respecting the flag! i am sure that the nfl is cringing and they should be imho!

ColonelJLloyd
10-26-2017, 10:13 AM
I can't take a game seriously if it claims their championship to be "World" Series, and yet fails to invite the rest of the world. None of the other major professional sports in the US calls their league championships a "World" championship.

Cool story.

makoti
10-26-2017, 11:13 AM
that game was such a boost for the nation's favorite pastime that was declining in recent years but kudos to the players for respecting the flag! i am sure that the nfl is cringing and they should be imho!

And imho, you're whining about nothing. Give it up, or better yet, move to a country where they don't get a choice.

Bradford
10-26-2017, 11:31 AM
Please leave politics out of this.

azrider
10-26-2017, 11:47 AM
Amazing game!!

campy man
10-26-2017, 12:15 PM
Please leave politics out of this.

Ding, ding, ding!!!

I'm a Dodgers fan but still thought it was a great game ... Go Dodgers :hello:

Frankwurst
10-26-2017, 12:17 PM
It isn't boring is it?

Anything but. The playoff games leading up to Houston and LA going to the big show were as exciting as well. This is fun to watch!:beer:

hellvetica
10-26-2017, 12:20 PM
How about them boys in blue coming back from what looked like a L? That is what the Dodgers have been like this year (you cannot write them off, ever).]

Go Dodgers!

ColonelJLloyd
10-26-2017, 12:31 PM
Says a good deal about the pitching, I think. That's why it pays off to stay up late. Things get interesting when You're running out of pitchers and have to consider the next day(s). Extra innings can make for interesting, if not sloppy, baseball. This is one reason I don't like American League baseball.

Ken Robb
10-26-2017, 12:38 PM
When the Dodgers pulled their starter when he was still very strong I got to explain to Leslie how that might come back to haunt them later in the game. At least they didn't have to resort to using an outfielder as a pitcher. OTOH maybe one of them could have done better. :rolleyes:

fiamme red
10-26-2017, 01:25 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/sports/baseball/joe-girardi-fired-yankees.html

The 53-year-old Girardi announced his departure in an emailed statement on Thursday morning, saying, "With a heavy heart, I come to you because the Yankees have decided not to bring me back."I'd like to see the Yankees hire Dusty Baker, and the Senators hire Joe Girardi. ;)

makoti
10-26-2017, 01:36 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/sports/baseball/joe-girardi-fired-yankees.html

I'd like to see the Yankees hire Dusty Baker, and the Senators hire Joe Girardi. ;)

You think he can coach hockey? Or are you just old like me & any baseball team from DC will always be the Senators? ;)

fiamme red
10-26-2017, 01:42 PM
You think he can coach hockey? Or are you just old like me & any baseball team from DC will always be the Senators? ;)Not the first time I've made that mistake!

By the way, the hockey team is the Capitals. :)

makoti
10-26-2017, 03:23 PM
Not the first time I've made that mistake!

By the way, the hockey team is the Capitals. :)

I thought you were talking about Ottawa. :)

kevinvc
10-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Says a good deal about the pitching, I think. That's why it pays off to stay up late. Things get interesting when You're running out of pitchers and have to consider the next day(s). Extra innings can make for interesting, if not sloppy, baseball. This is one reason I don't like American League baseball.

Boy, do I agree with that sentiment. Managing pitchers, timing the bringing in of relievers, pinch-hitters, defensive replacements, etc. around where you are in the batting order, all of that. AL baseball simply doesn't have that level of complexity or strategic thinking.

Last night had more tension than any game I've watched in years. There were so many pivotal moments that really seemed like they could be the one thing that swung the game, only to have something else swing it the other way. The one that really has to sting Dodgers fans is the pick off throw hitting the 2nd base ump. Seeing the replays and the positioning of the outfielders, that ball could have rolled a really long time. Runner would have easily been on third and very well could have scored. Or he could have gotten thrown out at the plate. Or, if he was at third Devenski might have been afraid to throw a breaking ball and stuck with only fastballs...

Each moment leads to other decisions that could take the game in a totally different direct. Last night had a lot of such moments. What a blast.

Drmojo
10-26-2017, 04:19 PM
I am rooting for the 'stros
Smaller payroll
Sentimental favorite
And they had to switch leagues!
And names!
(originally Colt 45s)

beeatnik
10-26-2017, 04:20 PM
When the Dodgers pulled their starter when he was still very strong I got to explain to Leslie how that might come back to haunt them later in the game. At least they didn't have to resort to using an outfielder as a pitcher. OTOH maybe one of them could have done better. :rolleyes:

Analytics!

galgal
10-26-2017, 07:16 PM
Last time Dodgers won WS, was at at a dive bar on Upper Haight in SF. Wife and I were only two people there pulling for Dodgers, thought we might get beat up! We'd just moved to SF from Brooklyn. And we're both Yankees fans. (Runs and hides...)

Ken Robb
10-26-2017, 07:35 PM
I am rooting for the 'stros
Smaller payroll
Sentimental favorite
And they had to switch leagues!
And names!
(originally Colt 45s)
You are really just a fan
of GWB. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :banana:

msriddle
10-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Long day at work after staying up way too late watching.

steelbikerider
10-26-2017, 08:49 PM
Finally a World series game win. I've been an Astro's fan since the late 60's and going to the dome with the original exploding scoreboard. this team has fun but doesn't forget the important stuff.
https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/03/astros-owner-jim-crane-sends-three-planes-puerto-rico

beeatnik
10-26-2017, 10:10 PM
Last time Dodgers won WS, was at at a dive bar on Upper Haight in SF. Wife and I were only two people there pulling for Dodgers, thought we might get beat up! We'd just moved to SF from Brooklyn. And we're both Yankees fans. (Runs and hides...)

Molotov?

oldpotatoe
10-27-2017, 07:33 AM

I'd like to see the Yankees hire Dusty Baker, and the Senators hire Joe Girardi. ;)

WOW, didn't see that...But Joe will be hired in an instant..

galgal
10-27-2017, 10:07 AM
Molotov?

Rockin' Robin. Was across the street from the late lamented Rock & Bowl. Fun times!

Re tonight's game, what is the over/under on home runs. I'm thinking, 5>

kevinvc
10-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Astros building momentum and Dodgers bullpen looking mortal. LA is still a potent offense, especially if Bellinger ever wakes up, but they looked like a tense team folding under pressure last night.

Meanwhile, Gurriel pulls a seriously stupid move. Regardless of how "innocently" he meant it, MLB has to decide whether they are going to be consistent, they really have no choice but to suspend him for a game, and it shouldn't be pushed back to the regular season.

This thing is far from over.

oldpotatoe
10-28-2017, 06:33 PM
Astros building momentum and Dodgers bullpen looking mortal. LA is still a potent offense, especially if Bellinger ever wakes up, but they looked like a tense team folding under pressure last night.

Meanwhile, Gurriel pulls a seriously stupid move. Regardless of how "innocently" he meant it, MLB has to decide whether they are going to be consistent, they really have no choice but to suspend him for a game, and it shouldn't be pushed back to the regular season.

This thing is far from over.

5 game suspension, NEXT YEAR....bs...he should have been sat down for rest of series. ‘Didn’t mean to offend’, crappola, he knew what he was doing. Wonder how he would have felt if somebody called him......never mind.

pdmtong
10-28-2017, 06:50 PM
I had to deal with that "gesture" / $ hit growing up.

As for the phrase - fyi Cuba is not panama, china is not Japan. (or Iran)

cadence90
10-28-2017, 06:51 PM
5 game suspension, NEXT YEAR....bs...he should have been sat down for rest of series. ‘Didn’t mean to offend’, crappola, he knew what he was doing. Wonder how he would have felt if somebody called him......never mind.
Agree. I don't know about for the rest of the series, but at least one game for the offense, plus another for the litany of lame excuses.

Gurriel's entire defense, including the "chinito" excuse, was total bs. He knew exactly what he was doing, all along the way. He even thought he would get away with it from the protection of the dugout.

makoti
10-28-2017, 07:43 PM

Yeah, way to get tough MLB

cadence90
10-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Blue bats are booming now!

:banana:

Frankwurst
10-28-2017, 10:36 PM
Blue bats are booming now!

:banana:

Filppin' good game! These two teams are dukein' it out!:beer:

beeatnik
10-28-2017, 11:56 PM
Agree. I don't know about for the rest of the series, but at least one game for the offense, plus another for the litany of lame excuses.

Gurriel's entire defense, including the "chinito" excuse, was total bs. He knew exactly what he was doing, all along the way. He even thought he would get away with it from the protection of the dugout.

Racism is endemic in Latino/Latin American societies. And the crude Spanish-language media perpetuates it in a way that would shock most in the "liberal" Western World. Sadly it's a pathology from the ivory towers down to the ranchitos.

So many nacos out there.

Go Doyers!

azrider
10-29-2017, 08:10 AM

Amen.....such a chicken$hit move by MLB.

Darvish response was pure class.

galgal
10-29-2017, 12:30 PM
Isn't Darvish lined up to pitch game 7? Would be sweet if he struck out 10 and won the game & series. Dodgers in 6 would be just fine too. Can't pull for Astros after this nastiness. MLB response is shameful.

oldpotatoe
10-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Isn't Darvish lined up to pitch game 7? Would be sweet if he struck out 10 and won the game & series. Dodgers in 6 would be just fine too. Can't pull for Astros after this nastiness. MLB response is shameful.

Darvish just needs to humiliate Gurriel, welcome to the big leagues, don’t be a moron(coincidence intentional)...

cadence90
10-29-2017, 12:49 PM

Darvish just needs to humiliate Gurriel, welcome to the big leagues, don’t be a moron(coincidence intentional)...

This would be the best, but let's get through this Game 5 first!

cadence90
10-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Gurriel...:crap::crap::crap:

cadence90
10-29-2017, 09:59 PM
Crap, this is not looking good at all.

Roberts should have left Kershaw in at least for the last out of the 5th; Maeda and Co. have been a complete disaster ever since that change.

:(

echappist
10-29-2017, 10:05 PM

Roberts should have left Kershaw in at least for the last out of the 5th; Maeda and Co. have been a complete disaster ever since that change.

i'd start hitting the amarone if i were you

beeatnik
10-29-2017, 10:10 PM

T, he had to take him out. Morrow was a bad idea.

cadence90
10-29-2017, 10:24 PM
i'd start hitting the amarone if i were you
That's an excellent idea!

T, he had to take him out. Morrow was a bad idea.
I really know nothing about baseball. It just seemed that the Dodgers deflated after Kershaw left. Are they a team with no real leaders?

Drmojo
10-29-2017, 10:50 PM
5 homers
12 runs so far
Verlander on Tuesday
Hurricane relief

Drmojo
10-29-2017, 10:55 PM
now 12-11
Puig earning his pay

Drmojo
10-29-2017, 11:03 PM
wild
reminds me of last year’s game 7

echappist
10-29-2017, 11:08 PM
bunkers

Drmojo
10-29-2017, 11:41 PM
13-12 final

cadence90
10-29-2017, 11:42 PM
bunkers

So close...

:crap::crap::crap:

oldpotatoe
10-30-2017, 06:13 AM
Gurriel...:crap::crap::crap:

No kidding and he has dumb hair..:eek:

fiamme red
10-30-2017, 09:41 AM
Great game, but very slow. I was dead tired but stayed up anyway to the end, and am going to pay for it later today. Wouldn't it make sense to move up weekend games by an hour or two?

I wonder how many children on the East Coast watched the end of the game? I know, it's all about TV money, not young fans.

kevinvc
10-30-2017, 10:12 AM
I didn't turn the game on until the 7th inning, which still made for a long night. That was one of the single most exciting games I've watched. Every time one team tied or retook the lead, I assumed that the other would fold, but it never happened. This pretty much took away any arguments about the importance of momentum in baseball.

Still, I couldn't help but wonder how different it might have played out if they were in the NL park and didn't have the DH allowing them to substitute pitchers at will. It would definitely have changed the strategy.

I hadn't bought into the whole theory that the ball was juiced this season, mainly because I wasn't following it all that closely. But, what I've seen this postseason has me wondering if there might be something to it. Yes, Minute Maid is a hitters park and yes, both teams have some serious power hitters. But this has been ridiculous. Puig is a really strong guy, but he was way in front of the ball and only had a couple of fingers of one hand on the bat when he smashed his homer. That's just not right. It's jumping off bats like I haven't seen in 15 years.

One last thing, Gurriel was 2 for 5 with 3 RBIs last night and he had no business being in the game. I find it infuriating that MLB had the nerve to say that Darvish's well written response was part of the reason for no world series suspension. What, if he had been really ticked off they would have taken sterner action? That's BS. The commissioner also said he didn't want to punish the rest of the team for the actions of one player. Umm, that's not really how it works. This was the case of the league admitting that, despite all the lip service, don't really care. I want Houston to win the series, but I wanted Gurriel suspended for last night's game even if that would have tipped the series to LA.

galgal
10-30-2017, 11:35 AM
aaarrggh. :mad: wait till Darvish wins game 7. Dodgers gotta win game 6 somehow. What is up with WS turning into home run derby:help:

azrider
10-30-2017, 11:44 AM
aaarrggh. :mad: wait till Darvish wins game 7. Dodgers gotta win game 6 somehow. What is up with WS turning into home run derby:help:

Blame it one the balls

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/29/world-series-baseballs-leather-justin-verlander-yu-darvish-ken-giles-kenley-jansen

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fs3fs-public%2F2017%2F10%2F29%2Fbaseballs2-world-series.jpg&w=800&q=85

fiamme red
10-30-2017, 11:55 AM
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/30/16568546/2017-world-series-game-5-dodgers-astros-wat

"Game 5 of the 2017 World Series was baseball. Unless it was another sport entirely."

Shoeman
10-30-2017, 12:39 PM
Quote:
The balls in my pants have less juice in them then the balls in this game.
en Quote:
Jose Canseco

marsh
10-30-2017, 01:20 PM
The Cubs pitchers have been complaining about the ball all year.
Comparing balls from previous years, the seams don't look nearly as raised.
Combined with the extra slickness and Puig launching a ball out of the yard with an awkward off handed swing, it all seems so fishy.
I am ready for the robo strike zone. It's been tested in the minors and it's probably not far from being MLB ready.

shoota
10-30-2017, 01:29 PM
The Cubs pitchers have been complaining about the ball all year.
Comparing balls from previous years, the seams don't look nearly as raised.
Combined with the extra slickness and Puig launching a ball out of the yard with an awkward off handed swing, it all seems so fishy.
I am ready for the robo strike zone. It's been tested in the minors and it's probably not far from being MLB ready.

Booooooooooo!
I love the human element of the game.

cadence90
10-30-2017, 01:55 PM
I really don't like this Astros team for some reason, but Puig mouthing off in typical fashion after going 3-21 (3 RBI) so far, and predicting a Game 7 after Game 5 makes me very nervous.

GAME 6:
Dodgers: Rich Hill = OK.
Astros: Justin Verlander = 24 consecutive scoreless innings in elimination games + Lowest career ERA (1.21) in elimination games + Most wins (4) in elimination games + Etc. + Etc.

"¿Qué dijiste?, Yasiel." :no:

beeatnik
10-30-2017, 02:02 PM
The way things are going the next game will be a 3 pitcher perfect game for the Dodgers.

I mean, it's gotta be right? We're talking about a Series where the best bullpen in baseball has been ineffective (unexpected) and the side which had a 30 point lower team batting average is trading homers and doubles (unexpected) with Goliath.

Kershaw is just being post-season Kershaw.

cadence90
10-30-2017, 02:05 PM
I am so hoping that he is!

And that Game 6 scenario would be great.

Abelicoln
10-30-2017, 02:10 PM
Booooooooooo!
I love the human element of the game.

I do too but that umpire was all over the place!

Drmojo
10-30-2017, 04:10 PM
Is pitching like he did in his hey day, and he is Mr Clutch
I have money on the Astros and feel very confident.
Sorry Dodger fans, my sincere? apologies...:banana:

shoota
10-30-2017, 05:06 PM
I really don't like this Astros team for some reason, but Puig mouthing off in typical fashion after going 3-21 (3 RBI) so far, and predicting a Game 7 after Game 5 makes me very nervous.

GAME 6:
Dodgers: Rich Hill = OK.
Astros: Justin Verlander = 24 consecutive scoreless innings in elimination games + Lowest career ERA (1.21) in elimination games + Most wins (4) in elimination games + Etc. + Etc.

"¿Qué dijiste?, Yasiel." :no:

I love this Astros team. It's the Dodgers I can't stand, especially Bellinger and Puig. Couple of hot dogging, hot headed, underperforming overpaids.
And yeah, the Dodgers are in trouble tomorrow.

shoota
10-30-2017, 05:07 PM
I do too but that umpire was all over the place!

Ha, then you've never seen a minor league game! But yeah he was all over the place for a MLB umpire, no doubt.

Rada
10-30-2017, 06:12 PM
I've been rooting for the Astros only because I dislike the Dodgers much more. It's been a while since the old NL West was broken up and the Reds moved to the Central. So even though the Cincinnati/LA rivalry is pretty much irrelevant the reflexes are still there. As for the games they have been fun to watch, while also bumming me out. The last time we saw balls leaving the yard at the rate they are this year the players were juiced. It might be fun to watch for some, but personally the game is becoming something of a joke. Again.

galgal
10-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Dodgers will win in 7 and Gurriel will reconsider his antics (and haircut perchance). Odds are against all of the above, but one can hope. Puig might rub some the wrong way, but any licking bats or whatever is not in same ballpark as overtly nasty hurtful racist gestures. Correction: does happen in same ballpark, one can be tolerated, laughed at, the other not.

rwsaunders
10-30-2017, 07:48 PM
Somebody needs to break the news gently to Dave Thompson that the Dodgers aren't in Brooklyn anymore.

cadence90
10-30-2017, 08:20 PM
I love this Astros team. It's the Dodgers I can't stand, especially Bellinger and Puig. Couple of hot dogging, hot headed, underperforming overpaids.
And yeah, the Dodgers are in trouble tomorrow.

:)

Bellinger and Puig aren't my favorites either, but the rest of the Dodgers seem fine to me. And, to be fair, the Astros aren't likely to be winning any "class act" trophies at season's end either....

dancinkozmo
10-30-2017, 08:21 PM
....maybe somebody has been deflating the balls
Deflategate II

shoota
10-31-2017, 09:10 AM
:)

Bellinger and Puig aren't my favorites either, but the rest of the Dodgers seem fine to me. And, to be fair, the Astros aren't likely to be winning any "class act" trophies at season's end either....

Fair assessment.

fiamme red
10-31-2017, 07:59 PM
Dodgers fans must be hoping that Hinch pulls Verlander due to pitch count sooner rather than later.

echappist
10-31-2017, 09:48 PM
This would be the best, but let's get through this Game 5 first!

Amen.....such a chicken$hit move by MLB.

Darvish response was pure class.

wish granted.

cadence90
10-31-2017, 10:07 PM
wish granted.

Can't wait!

cadence90
11-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Effin'
Geein'
Haychin'
Iin'
Jayin'
NoKayin'
Etcin'

Darvish....Loser.

D@mm&t.

:crap::help::crap::help::crap:

fiamme red
11-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Clearly, McCullers has no control. How is it that the Dodgers haven't scored yet?

cadence90
11-01-2017, 07:41 PM
Clearly, McCullers has no control. How is it that the Dodgers haven't scored yet?
It's mind-boggling. The guy is all over the place, and the Dodgers can't put a ball in play.

HBP - J Turner 2 (by L McCullers Jr), Y Puig (by L McCullers Jr), K Hernández (by L McCullers Jr).

Maybe they are all still handing out "Humanitarian-Of-The-Year" stickers to Yu, for his really nice and super kind words to Yuli....:rolleyes:

Drmojo
11-01-2017, 09:35 PM
Darvish knocked around again
6 outs away

steelbikerider
11-01-2017, 10:27 PM
World Series champs!! No longer the Lastros. I've been going to games since the late 60's and it was fun watching this.

Drmojo
11-01-2017, 11:20 PM
$200

MattTuck
11-02-2017, 06:33 AM
Some questionable pitching decisions by the Dodgers this series... (atleast in the games I watched)

But at the end of the day, scoring just 1 run is typically not enough.

makoti
11-02-2017, 06:46 AM
The last three seasons, baseball has crowned "long suffering" teams.
Kansas City Royals - 30 years
Chicago Cubs - 107 years
Houston Astros - Ever...

rwsaunders
11-02-2017, 08:16 AM
The last three seasons, baseball has crowned "long suffering" teams.
Kansas City Royals - 30 years
Chicago Cubs - 107 years
Houston Astros - Ever...

Does this mean that there is hope for the Pirates...last WSC was 1979?

fiamme red
11-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Does this mean that there is hope for the Pirates...last WSC was 1979?The Mariners and Nationals (formerly Expos) have never even been in a World Series.

makoti
11-02-2017, 08:58 AM
The Mariners and Nationals (formerly Expos) have never even been in a World Series.

Does this mean that there is hope for the Pirates...last WSC was 1979?

You guys will have to draw straws.

PacNW2Ford
11-02-2017, 07:41 PM
I am going to throw up when I see Gurriel wearing #42 on Jackie Robinson Day...