PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tough luck, porch bandits

makoti
10-25-2017, 07:22 PM
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/amazon-will-now-deliver-inside-your-home-record-whole-thing-n814276

Amazon wants to put your packages INSIDE your house. Buy a $250 kit, have prime, and live in certain areas (apparently NoVa is one of them). The smart lock, monitor, and installation are included. Sounds both neat and oddly disturbing.

Davist
10-25-2017, 07:28 PM
so the question is, does the potential of it being hacked (it will be), and giving some nefarious sort access to your house outweigh the likelihood of packages being stolen? hmm..

Ralph
10-25-2017, 07:57 PM
Someone is going to get shot by a startled occupant.

pbarry
10-25-2017, 08:33 PM
What could go wrong??

Abelicoln
10-25-2017, 08:48 PM
Generally not a conspiracy theorist but I think giving a corporation keys to your home is one of the first steps towards Skynet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Pink
10-25-2017, 08:52 PM
Generally not a conspiracy theorist but I think giving a corporation keys to your home is one of the first steps towards Skynet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, don't worry, we're well on our way.

donevwil
10-25-2017, 08:55 PM
I'd rather have a drone drop a box on my roof.

bshell
10-25-2017, 09:03 PM
Yeah, we're already 50+ steps toward Skynet.

ravdg316
10-25-2017, 09:21 PM
Also I'd rather have the package stolen.

nighthawk
10-25-2017, 09:23 PM
If they do my dishes while they are in there... I'm all for it.

makoti
10-25-2017, 09:59 PM

Apparently Walmart is upping the ante and will put into your fridge for you. Crazy.

unterhausen
10-25-2017, 10:14 PM
I wonder if UPS drivers will be able to opt out of this crazy program.

AirBnb's favored cloud-based lock got a bad firmware update a while back and people couldn't get in. Mostly losing rentals. I think you had to send the lock back

FlashUNC
10-25-2017, 10:20 PM
Just get a job back in the company town. Get paid in scrip. Visit the company store.

Clean39T
10-25-2017, 10:41 PM

"do my dishes.."

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Clean39T
10-25-2017, 11:05 PM
I wonder if UPS drivers will be able to opt out of this crazy program.

I think Amazon's goal is to stop using UPS.

gdw
10-25-2017, 11:18 PM
Hopefully they'll get their shipping department straightened out first and start delivering my orders to the correct address. It has been really frustrating trying get the folks in Florida who received them to forward the packages to Colorado.

http://time.com/4994688/florida-couple-amazon-marijuana/

shovelhd
10-26-2017, 06:52 AM
Oh yeah. I'm going to let some stranger into my house when I'm away because Amazon is such a progressive forward thinking company that they would never allow an employee or subcontractor to do any thing nefarious.

makoti
10-26-2017, 08:05 AM
Oh yeah. I'm going to let some stranger into my house when I'm away because Amazon is such a progressive forward thinking company that they would never allow an employee or subcontractor to do any thing nefarious.

Well, you also have a monitor installed to watch the door (part of the package you need to buy). It records who comes into the house, I'm sure that's to quell just those qualms. Since you can use the lock for any reason, I'm sure the camera is always available. It's not quite like sticking a key under the fake rock.

cmbicycles
10-26-2017, 08:31 AM
I'd rather divert to a fedex/ups store and pick up packages than give someone access to my home via some "smart" lock and a camera.

shovelhd
10-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Well, you also have a monitor installed to watch the door (part of the package you need to buy). It records who comes into the house, I'm sure that's to quell just those qualms. Since you can use the lock for any reason, I'm sure the camera is always available. It's not quite like sticking a key under the fake rock.

If someone takes my key under the fake rock without my permission and enters my house, they've committed a crime. No camera is going to prevent anything, and it's technology that fails and is potentially on their network. Amazon thinks that because they're the great and mighty Amazon that the everyday American will trust them. I'm not one of them.

Clean39T
10-26-2017, 09:07 AM
I'd rather divert to a fedex/ups store and pick up packages than give someone access to my home via some "smart" lock and a camera.

This ^^^^

I've almost started putting that as a transaction requirement in my classifieds: "will only ship to FedEx/UPS store". Feels like the only foolproof delivery option for all involved.

cmbicycles
10-26-2017, 09:26 AM
This ^^^^

I've almost started putting that as a transaction requirement in my classifieds: "will only ship to FedEx/UPS store". Feels like the only foolproof delivery option for all involved.
Can you ship to someone direct to a fedex/ups store? I've had packages diverted there, but would save some $ to ship to a business address.

stien
10-26-2017, 09:36 AM
Could be useful if you have a breezeway with a locked door on both ends. Amazon gets in the first door but not the second. Other than that, nope.

saab2000
10-26-2017, 09:39 AM
Could be useful if people had lockable delivery boxes. Nobody is coming into my house, but I would be open to having a delivery container or portal to a delivery container/closet that's part of the house.

Mark McM
10-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Could be useful if people had lockable delivery boxes. Nobody is coming into my house, but I would be open to having a delivery container or portal to a delivery container/closet that's part of the house.

I think that's a much better approach, and I have no idea why Amazon didn't use this idea instead.

This new Amazon system uses standard Smart Locks (from Yale and Kwikset), so I don't see why people couldn't install these locks on their own lockers or cabinets sitting on the front porch.

Jaybee
10-26-2017, 10:12 AM
Can you ship to someone direct to a fedex/ups store? I've had packages diverted there, but would save some $ to ship to a business address.

Yes, you can. I do it on the regular for emergency response derailment and pipeline releases. I like to call the receiving location and make sure ahead of time.

EDIT: I always use FedEx, I assume that UPS offers a similar service.

Richard
10-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Seems to me that Amazon is asking customers to spring for a $250 system that is designed to prevent a loss that Amazon has to cover anyway. Someone steals an Amazon delivery, Amazon replaces it. Why should I pay to prevent Amazon's losses?

notsew
10-26-2017, 11:00 AM
Seems to me that Amazon is asking customers to spring for a $250 system that is designed to prevent a loss that Amazon has to cover anyway. Someone steals an Amazon delivery, Amazon replaces it. Why should I pay to prevent Amazon's losses?

Ding! Ding! Ding!

This is the deal. I don't give two ****s if someone steals my amazon package. Amazon does.

shovelhd
10-26-2017, 11:07 AM
Does eBay cover delivery losses?

Mark McM
10-26-2017, 11:09 AM
So, Amazon's Echo can listen to what's going on in your home ...

And their new Amazon Cloud Cam can watch what's going on in your home ...

And now the Amazon Key service let's Amazon employees come directly into your home ...

And you thought that Facebook and Google were encroaching excessively on people's privacy!

FlashUNC
10-26-2017, 11:10 AM
I think that's a much better approach, and I have no idea why Amazon didn't use this idea instead.

This new Amazon system uses standard Smart Locks (from Yale and Kwikset), so I don't see why people couldn't install these locks on their own lockers or cabinets sitting on the front porch.

Because Amazon also wants to start selling all sorts of home services to you. Dog walkers, plumbers, electricians, the works.

It ain't just about dropping off packages.

fiamme red
12-19-2017, 10:12 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/19/technology/packages-holiday-season-porch-pirates-strike.html

Hindmost
12-19-2017, 11:31 PM
There was a time in a land far, far away where the milkman would walk in the back door of our home and cheerily announce, "milk man" and then proceed to the kitchen to place the weekly milk delivery inside our refrigerator. He would pick up the empties too.

saab2000
12-20-2017, 12:21 AM
Anyone put a one-way lock box out in front of the home/house/domicile/abode for deliveries?

I'm gone from home for days at a time. What's the best solution for this?

paulh
12-20-2017, 05:25 AM
Meanwhile, you could scare them away.

https://www.twincities.com/2016/12/02/st-paul-holiday-packages-stolen-from-porch-pirates-security-cameras/

CNY rider
12-20-2017, 05:33 AM
There was a time in a land far, far away where the milkman would walk in the back door of our home and cheerily announce, "milk man" and then proceed to the kitchen to place the weekly milk delivery inside our refrigerator. He would pick up the empties too.

Did you ever notice how many of the neighborhood children looked like the milkman? ;)

morrisericd
12-20-2017, 05:34 AM
I'm happy to say that here (Vermont) we do have a milkman and while he usually leaves the milk in the box on the porch he has been known to come into the house and put the milk in the refrigerator. Glass bottles and all - the best milk ever!

paulh
12-20-2017, 05:39 AM
Or this:
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/12/19/dog-poo-packages/
Minnesota is on the cutting edge in messing with porch pirates.

ultraman6970
12-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Literally the porch lover of your stuff said "holly Sh!!!TT!!!" when opened this dude stuff.

shovelhd
12-20-2017, 09:44 AM
The Blank Box (https://www.theblankbox.com/home)

woolly
12-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Meh. Amazon's own delivery service isn't even batting 500, according to my order history. Yep, they've screwed up the delivery more than half the time. I now cringe every time I see "Shipped with AMZL" on an order. . .

So, Amazon's Echo can listen to what's going on in your home ...

And their new Amazon Cloud Cam can watch what's going on in your home ...

And now the Amazon Key service let's Amazon employees come directly into your home ...

And you thought that Facebook and Google were encroaching excessively on people's privacy!

merckxman
12-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Already hacked, see video in this story :
https://www.today.com/money/flaw-amazon-key-could-leave-your-home-vulnerable-thieves-t120118

beeatnik
12-20-2017, 12:31 PM
Did you ever notice how many of the neighborhood children looked like the milkman? ;)

Now, I know why my Chinese friends think all Europeans look alike.

drewski
12-20-2017, 01:26 PM
I'd rather have a drone drop a box on my roof.

I feel there are already too many things buzzing about already. Not ready for my neighborhood airspace to look something from the movie 5th element/ Air battle.