PDA

View Full Version : HBar Bag for an AllRounder

bobscott
09-17-2006, 07:46 PM
I am thinking of setting up an everyday bike with a handlebar bag. Wondering about cable routing issues with brake lever shifters. Any one use an Hbar bag with brifters (STI or Ergo)?
Thanks

Ray
09-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Not a problem with Campy, since the shift cables are routed along the bar like the brake cables. A definite problem with STI if you're using a full size handlebar bag. You can get away with it if you're using a small bag or one that doesn't project too far in front of the bars.

-Ray

sc53
09-18-2006, 09:08 AM
You can use the Rivendell Baggins "Candybar" bag (a longish waxed cotton tube that buckles over the bars with two leather straps) or any number of shallow rectangular cubes from REI that have a clear plastic map case on the top of the bag and storage beneath. Perfect for wallet, sandwich, keys, cell phone, even a really compressible jacket. I got one for $7.93 the other day at REI, brand name is Novara, size is about 8" x 6" x 2".

bobscott
09-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the input. I have a nice canvas Karrimore from the 70's I want to use. I was hoping someone had tried "long routing" of STI cables to by pass the bag. Guess I should have asked that directly.
bobscott

jcmuellner
09-19-2006, 03:56 PM
You could try something like shown at the top of this page:
<http://www.velonews.com/tour2004/tech/articles/6575.0.html>

I ran into this same problem a few years ago, but once I broke the Ultegra shifter I just switched to Campy Ergo...