PDA

View Full Version : outdoor BBQ gas grills : OT

Smiley
09-17-2006, 07:21 PM
The wife makes me clean our old reliable Webber today. Gets me a degreaser and all and I must complete this task today. Get the grill out in a corner of the back yard and start to take the grates off just to find the whole thing is just one rust bucket. So I take the grill out front and dissassemble it for the garbage man.
So now we need a new grill, the old one was a 15 year old Webber and we want to buy something in Stainless Steel. So clones what do u all grill on. The Captain needs a new gas grill and forget consumer reports when you have the serotta forum at your disposal. Oh yeah she also wants a bigger then 36,000 btu since she thinks were doing another nottrott next year :)

Parts availability are a must since Webber is there for me 24/7/365 to get my parst when I need them. Forget charcoal too :banana:

Looks like I found my 8 th anniversary gift for her :)

dave thompson
09-17-2006, 07:28 PM
One word:

Erik.Lazdins
09-17-2006, 07:35 PM
I've got the 2 burner infrared model in gas, hooked up direct to the house. I've used it no less than 3 times per week year round since 2002.

Should I need to buy one tomorrow, I would get another TEC.

Regarding parts, I may need a new burner/ burners/ grates eventually however all is well so far.

Enjoy your search for a grill.

Erik.Lazdins
09-17-2006, 07:43 PM
I've got the 2 burner infrared model in gas, hooked up direct to the house. I've used it no less than 3 times per week year round since 2002.

Should I need to buy one tomorrow, I would get another TEC.

Regarding parts, I may need a new burner/ burners/ grates eventually however all is well so far.

Enjoy your search for a grill.
http://www.consumerreports.org/content/Special/ProdSelect/Models/Images/TEC_Sterling_II.jpg

billrick
09-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Vermont Castings Grills. Available in colors. Stainless is so 90s. ;)

Erik.Lazdins
09-17-2006, 07:44 PM

Dekonick
09-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Costco - can't go wrong. Big and small available.

They have a nice SS Kirkland Signature (their brand) grill -

Cinci Jim
09-17-2006, 07:55 PM
I've had my Viking for 5 years with no trouble but if I had to do it over again - Costco.

cookieguy
09-17-2006, 08:21 PM
My ducane has been flawless over the last 6 years.

Ahneida Ride
09-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Capt,

Be real care with the hoses. I've seen 3 of them go up !!!!!

Keep the hoses fresh !

Bradford
09-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Vermont Castings Grills. Available in colors. Stainless is so 90s. ;)

I love mine, and I love the blue. Stainless is too hard to keep clean.

csm
09-17-2006, 09:11 PM
weber gets my vote. 15 years out of the last one? how long do your bikes last? or get kept?

Lincoln
09-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Lots of good choices. If you have a nice back yard and are pretty sure you aren't moving for a bit, consider doing a built-in.

My suggestion is to go natural gas if you already have it in your house. We use our grill all the time and it is so nice knowing we won't ever run out (as long as we pay the monthly bill!). Depending on how close the nearest line is it shouldn't be too much to have stubbed out.

Tom
09-18-2006, 05:43 AM
We got a Weber, second tier. For a gas grill, it's great. I bought our first one, a Sears, on closeout. Don't ever buy anything that involves fire or large bottles of flammables because nobody else will and you get it cheap. The second time I used it, I had fire coming out from around the bottom. The dials went all Salvador Dali on me and stayed that way until I dragged it out to the street one trash day a year or so later. They guys that come around to salvage good stuff took one look at it and ran away.

I said 'for a gas grill'. You're really not grilling unless you use wood, or charcoal if you can't get good wood.

William
09-18-2006, 05:48 AM
My Viking works great....but you have to get the chicken out before it sinks.

http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/41812399a/timeline/pt3_files/image002.gif

William ;)

Tom
09-18-2006, 05:57 AM
(1) Get one hour of sleep for two days straight because of yer stinking job. (It's OK, I've been stiffing 'em an hour or two a day all summer so I can ride in the morning.)
(2) Consume a lot of small batch bourbon with your neighbor this previous evening. For a retired cardiologist in his mid eighties, the guy has some thirst.
(3) Take Jerk's quiz which tells you you're F VdB and realize you should go to work and act all weird today so you preserve the mystique and get back on track to stiff them of an hour or two a day all winter so you can ride in the morning.
(4) Regard William's last post. I almost dropped my coffee on myself.

Kevin
09-18-2006, 06:02 AM
Profire. Six years no problems.

Kevin

stevep
09-18-2006, 06:58 AM

rovergar
09-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Smiley, there is a chain in Maryland/VA area called BBQ Galore. There is one in the Kentlands. They have several choices (including Weber and their house brands). All of their house brands are great, with stainless burners and grills. Give them a look before you buy.

Russell
09-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Gas? BBQ-ing with gas is like riding on clinchers. :)

I have a the big charcoal Webber (22.5" I think), with the attached table. I only use natural, hardwood charcoal with a chimney starter. Better flavor than I ever got from gas.

Anyone ever tried a Japanese grill?

Smiley
09-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Smiley, there is a chain in Maryland/VA area called BBQ Galore. There is one in the Kentlands. They have several choices (including Weber and their house brands). All of their house brands are great, with stainless burners and grills. Give them a look before you buy.
I was going to head that way to check out some different brands , Home Depot Expo is closer to me. I am interested in a good company with parts and service availability like Webber which i still may end up with , thanks and keep the idea's comming in , Smiley

lemondsteel
09-18-2006, 08:11 AM
I researched for 2 months and wanted a grill that would get to 600 degrees pretty quick to sear meat. I chose the Broil King (not to be confused with the cheap Charbroil). Linear controls on the burner, gets hot quick and the lower models are price right. I didn't go with the stainless because it does not help cook the meat any better Justs looks better. I wanted only a 2 burner that has high BTU per burner. 50,000 BTU doesn't mean much if it's spread between 3 or 4 burners. My burners get hot quick and and I think its 4800btu (24,000btu per burner) Parts are easy to get. You don't seem to be paying a lot for the name. We grill probably 3-4 nights a week even in winter. It is a Super easy grill to use and gets to 600 dgress in a very short time. LOVE IT!

Ozz
09-18-2006, 08:13 AM
What is your budget?

Best made at any price is Lynx...but they run $4000+ for the big ones:

http://shop.lynxgrills.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=2

I like Vermont Castings....but wish they had cast burners rather than heavy gauge stainless.

I picked up a cheap ($400) stainless CharBroil a couple years ago. It has stainless construction, cast brass burners, stainless grates and a side burner.

It could use a larger side shelf, and the heat is not as even as I would prefer, but it does the job and will probably last forever.

http://www.charbroil.com/consumerwebhome/CS463268706.aspx

I prefer cooking over charcoal...and use one of these. It works for both smoking and grilling:
http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detail.aspx?category=Outdoor+Cooking&subcategory=Charcoal+Smokers+%26+Grills&sku=855-6306-5&series=OUT-1001-1&seriesname=Cimarron&id=523

billrick
09-18-2006, 10:03 AM
I can't tell you how much I have struggled with the gas vs. charcoal debate! My ultimate solution - the Vermont Castings for gas grilling and a hibachi for charcoal. The Vermont Castings gets used every other day.

BTW, the regular Home Depot carries the Vermont Castings grills and the Weber. Both top rated by Consumer Reports, whatever that is worth.

Good luck! This is the best time of year for grilling.

:)

zap
09-18-2006, 10:13 AM
I would recommend the TEC unit. Sort of eliminates the charcoal/gas debate.

Oddly enough, we've had ours since '02 as well.

Cheap(er) units use poor grade stainless steel.

So if you want the Ridley's of the world, well, take your pick.

If you want something along the lines of the Serotta Nove ;) , get a TEC.

PS Come over and give it a test. We're always hungry.

spiderman
09-18-2006, 10:57 AM
the comment that
grilling with gas
is like
commuting on clinchers...
...is the truest word i've heard...
...my girls bought me this grill
for father's day this year...
http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/charcoal/cg_p.aspx
perfect every time
and allows a whole new dimension
into your grilling skills!

Ozz
09-18-2006, 11:14 AM
...Anyone ever tried a Japanese grill?
Are you talking about "The Big Green Egg"??

I've never used one, but the brother of a co-worker has one and I guess he loves it....seems like a lot of work to me? Heavy and fragile too....but again, I've never used one.

Too Tall
09-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Capt'n - Our ancient Ducane nat gas grill went bye bye during construction :(
We cooked on that ALOT! However, I've been using a small weber (charcoal) that I got at a yard sale and the heat / smoke is without comparison...I ain't going back to gas!!! Yes, it is sort of like the tubular tyre dealio ;) From fridge to plate I reckon the extra hassel lighting coal vs heating up the gas grill is a wash. Clean up is cake if you have a pail and small fireplace shovel. BUT THE TASTE AND amt. of heat/smoke I can get from charcoal...OMG no comparison. Am seriously in the market for a good mason who can build what I want...any you cats gots skills and need a track bike???

Ken Robb
09-18-2006, 01:27 PM
22.5" Wber w/one-touch ash cannister is MY first choice as I have had problems getting a gas grill that is hot enough to sear a thick steak the way I like.

I mad a big mistake when I bought my last gas grill by getting a fairly large two burner model thinking that I would have room to cook for a crowd when I entertained the gang. For my 3 person family I planned to use only one burner. Well too much heat would travel to the cold side leaving the "hot" side not hot enough and unevenly heated to boot. I had to cook one steak with both burners on high and oh my did that burn up the fuel.

I find it a lot easier to buy a bag of charcoal than take an empty tank out and back for a refill and I can tell by looking when I need to buy more. No more flame-outs halfway through cooking.

Having said all that, good friends have a nice Weber gas grill that is almost as good as my kettle for steaks and it's really good for chicken/fish, etc. Wood chips can be toasted in a can on the grill for that smoky flavor.

Another good pal just got a HUGE Vermont Castings grill and we have the same problem of lost heat when we only need one of the 3 or 4 burners it has.

Russell
09-18-2006, 02:00 PM
the comment that
grilling with gas
is like
commuting on clinchers...
...is the truest word i've heard...
...my girls bought me this grill
for father's day this year...
http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/charcoal/cg_p.aspx
perfect every time
and allows a whole new dimension
into your grilling skills!
Sweet! Mine looks similar, but does not have the gas-assist. How does that work?

Russell
09-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Are you talking about "The Big Green Egg"??

I've never used one, but the brother of a co-worker has one and I guess he loves it....seems like a lot of work to me? Heavy and fragile too....but again, I've never used one.

Actually I meant something like this.

Also, has any used binchotan charcoal? The Japanese dig it and is suppose to burn longer and hotter.

spiderman
09-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Sweet! Mine looks similar, but does not have the gas-assist. How does that work?

pour in the coals
turn on the gas
one click from the starter
and you're in business.
once the coals are lit
you just turn the gas off...
...i have a similar gas starter feature
in my wood-burning fireplace...

the only caution is NOT
using 'easy light' charcoal...
...that might singe your tubulars...

Ozz
09-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Actually I meant something like this.

Also, has any used binchotan charcoal? The Japanese dig it and is suppose to burn longer and hotter.
Oh....cool.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/history.htm
"The original design of the Big Green Egg® traces its roots back over 3000 years, to ancient China. The Japanese adopted it, and called it "kamado," which means oven, stove, heater, or fireplace. In the years following World War II, thousands of Americans in the military "discovered" the strange cooker and brought it home to the United States. It delighted everyone who used it and tasted the food."

I use this charcoal:
http://www.lazzari.com/

You want a hot fire to sear a steak...this is it!

Ken Robb
09-18-2006, 02:39 PM
I used to have a kamado (SP?) and it was especially great for slow-cooking fowl as the heat was very evenly distributed but it was very fragile even when left in place. I bought a steel cradle with wheels so it could be rolled around a little but all the ancillary parts crumbled within a couple of years.

Too Tall
09-18-2006, 02:42 PM
OZZ - I 've been using "cowboy" charcoal which looks on all accounts to be rebadged (wink wink) Lazarri. No kidding...just about lights with a match and it's HOT HOT HOT. Best charcoal ever.

No masons in the MD area??? I got work for you :)

Dave
09-18-2006, 03:31 PM
I did a fair amount of research when I wanted (but not needed) to replace my 12 year old Weber. I found many brands that were outrageously priced (like $2-4000). Too much money for me. I found Jenn Air stainless steel grilles at Lowes to be reasonably priced with high quality burners and electronic (battery powered) ignition. So far, it's been working great. Beware of any brand that does not have stainless steel or cast bronze burners - they won't last long.

I also use the natural gas model, so there's no switching propane tanks. I grill all year around. Snow doesn't stop me.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=18852-40307-720-0163&lpage=none

Zoomie80
09-18-2006, 08:24 PM
The smell of food grilling on charcoal often makes me want to go back to those using little black lumps...but the sheer convenience of a gas grill can't be beat (especially convenient for the wifey too, she grilled a fantastic flank steak as I got home from work!) :beer:

Smiley, check out the Weber Genesis Gold line of grills: http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/gas/gg_gen_g.aspx

We've had ours 3-4 years and it is clearly the best grill we've had; solid construction, reliable igniter, stainless steel burners and cooking grates, even a handly gas level indicator (weight). I bought our at BBQ Galore, they're often on sale early Fall.

Cheers,
Zoomie

Ozz
09-18-2006, 10:03 PM
The smell of food grilling on charcoal often makes me want to go back to those using little black lumps...but the sheer convenience of a gas grill can't be beat...
That's why I have both....cheap gas for convenience...nice charcoal smoker / grill when I want it done right!

Too-Tall - any lump charcoal is better than briquettes. Light it with paper to keep the flavor right...no lighter fluid needed. :beer:

Smiley - sorry for the hijacked thread!

mike p
09-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Same with grill's. Gas grill is for speed only. The tubie clincher picture is true but the difference is much, much more noticable with gas vs char or wood. To do it properly you need a min. of 3 grills. Gas for speed and bad weather. A good weber or other char. for all arounder and a nice smoker for bar-b-q.

Mike

Ken Robb
09-19-2006, 12:19 AM
OK, I just cooked the 2" thick top sirloins on the weber Genesis gas grill and they were ok, but I could not get the exgterior crispy/crunchy heavy carcinogen as I prefer. OK, but I could have done better over charcoal.

dave thompson
09-19-2006, 12:22 AM
OK, I just cooked the 2" thick top sirloins on the weber Genesis gas grill and they were ok, but I could not get the exgterior crispy/crunchy heavy carcinogen as I prefer. OK, but I could have done better over charcoal.
Ken, you're doin' it all wrong! I guess I gotta come down there and teach you warm weather wuss' how to use your Weber!

Ken Robb
09-19-2006, 12:34 AM
I know how to use MY Weber---it's charcoal fired--it's the dread propane that sucks. But C'mon down and bring McKeon too-we'll drink some reds and trade lies.

Too Tall
09-19-2006, 06:42 AM
Warm weather wuss....sweet :) You talking about "philly" style? Love that :)
On our old nat. gas grill I would ,if you are weak turn away from the screen now, put a pat of butter on the steak once melted flip it and flame the steak for that crunchy texture...mmmm.

Tom
09-19-2006, 07:01 AM
I use olive oil for that. That's the other rule of grilling. If there isn't barely controlled fire, it's not grilling.

Let us recap, kiddies:

If you're not using wood, apple wood preferably, it is not real grilling.

If there isn't a flare up resulting in an involuntary utterance of the lord's name in vain, it is not real grilling.

dave thompson
09-19-2006, 08:38 AM
I know how to use MY Weber---it's charcoal fired--it's the dread propane that sucks. But C'mon down and bring McKeon too-we'll drink some reds and trade lies.
AND, for a final touch, sprinkle some dry Vermouth over your steak when you plate it. Seems to bring out more steak flavor and juices. I learned this from the head Chef at the Kiki Steak house in Waikiki in the mid '60s, and I still do it.

William
09-19-2006, 08:40 AM
AND, for a final touch, sprinkle some dry Vermouth over your steak when you plate it. Seems to bring out more steak flavor and juices. I learned this from the head Chef at the Kiki Steak house in Waikiki in the mid '60s, and I still do it.

Try that with some of your Patron. ;)

William

csm
09-19-2006, 11:33 AM
weber charcoal at the beach house and weber gas at home.
does anyone know what weber used to do before he made grills?

William
09-19-2006, 11:42 AM

http://www.attheheartofit.com/images/wd40.gif

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Fire%20Starters/Coghlans%20Waterproof%20Safety%20Matches/Owner%20Review%20by%20Cora%20Hussey/bgt_matches.jpg

?????

Russell
09-19-2006, 11:52 AM
weber charcoal at the beach house and weber gas at home.

Thanks Wikipedia

Another personality in the charcoal grilling camp is George Stephen. The stereotypical American charcoal grill is a hollow, metal hemisphere with three legs and a small metal disc to catch ash, with a lower grate to hold the charcoal and an upper grate to hold the food to be cooked. George Stephen created the hemispherical grill design, jokingly called "Sputnik" by Stephen's neighbors. Stephen, a welder, worked for Weber Brothers Metal Works, a metal fabrication shop primarily concerned with welding steel spheres together to make buoys. Stephen was tired of wind blowing ash onto his food when he grilled. One day he had an epiphany: he took the lower half of a buoy, welded three steel legs onto it, and fabricated a shallower hemisphere for use as a lid. He took the results home and within weeks was selling the grills first to his neighbors, then to customers, and finally started the Weber-Stephen Products Company. Weber grills come in many sizes, again, in small 14 inch diameter grills up to a full size 24 inch diameter grill.

csm
09-19-2006, 10:24 PM
stupid wikipedia.... yes russel is right.