PDA

View Full Version : Assault in Castro Valley

Veloo
10-24-2017, 10:57 PM
Making the rounds on social media.

https://www.cyclistvideoevidence.com/2017/10/20/breaking-news-10-20-17-woman-cyclist-assaulted-and-battered-in-castro-valley-by-at-least-three-men-driving-at-50-miles-per-hour/

Louis
10-24-2017, 11:34 PM
Hopefully they can get the car's license plate from that.

bob heinatz
10-24-2017, 11:35 PM
Wow I lived in Castro Valley years ago. I guess nothing today should shock us.

victim
10-25-2017, 07:01 AM
Looks like the "projectile" was a tennis ball. Hope the victim will recover from this assault.

Jgrooms
10-25-2017, 07:38 AM
^ You don’t believe a tennis ball thrown from a vehicle can injure? Or what if the rider had lost control & swung out into traffic to be run over?

LE should be able to get plate number & charge these upstanding citizens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shovelhd
10-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Hopefully they can get the car's license plate from that.

3NDE79L

That's Fly6 video.

thegunner
10-25-2017, 07:50 AM
Looks like the "projectile" was a tennis ball. Hope the victim will recover from this assault.

pretty much anything with any bit of weight hurts when thrown out of a car going 50, i've been hit with an empty coke can and even that hurt like hell.

54ny77
10-25-2017, 08:00 AM
A car traveling at that rate of speed, anything solid is gonna hurt on impact.

You just don't do s&*^%! like that. No excuse, justification, no way, no how.

Actions have consequences, and I hope those kids learn one very expensive (in personal terms) lesson.

FlashUNC
10-25-2017, 09:22 AM

Might want to refresh on high school physics.

They're trying to kill us.

jtakeda
10-25-2017, 09:27 AM
3NDE79L

That's Fly6 video.

In CA it goes #AAA###

So maybe it’s 3NDE791?

While I agree it’s just a tennis ball, this could’ve been much worse. They’re teens going around running a muck most likely but there’s no shortage of footage of teens snap chatting while driving and killing people.

This is totally avoidable and we need to find a way to make the punishment great enough that people don’t put others in this situation.

Pretty easy to pick on a cyclist on a road with 50mph traffic. You don’t see folks doing this in gridlock. Cuz they’d get fd up

Elefantino
10-25-2017, 09:28 AM
Hope this was a joke.

Hint: It didn't work.

makoti
10-25-2017, 11:21 AM

Interesting comment, given your user name.

54ny77
10-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Here's an idea one could only wish the judge would impose: make those kids sit in a chair and set a tennis ball machine close to their face to launch at 50-60 mph. Then let 'er rip.

Abelicoln
10-25-2017, 11:30 AM

We used to play "wall ball" in middle school where part of the game was to throw a tennis ball as hard as possible at a defenseless kid running towards the wall. I can assure you that hurt. I can only imagine being hit from behind out of a car moving at near highway speeds. Not to mention you're not expecting it and could have easily caused the cyclist to fall or swerve into traffic. Maybe you're on the wrong site...

Keith A
10-25-2017, 11:34 AM
Many years ago when riding in Orlando, minding my own business just this rider, and a passenger leaned out of the window and hit me in the back with his fist. Completely knocked the breath out of me, hurt like heck and left a huge bruise.

I also had an unopened can of soda thrown at me from a school bus!!! Fortunately, he missed me and hit my front tire...that would have really hurt.

ultraman6970
10-25-2017, 11:36 AM
I was the judge i would grant your wish plus having all the idiots to suspend their driving licenses for at least 10 years, force them to ride a bike and put them in curfew at 8:30 pm and that's it. That will put a good precedent.

The only problem is that their parents will get them off the hook paying whatever is needed. It will suck tho... hope they catch those idiots they deserve whatever is coming to them.

Here's an idea one could only wish the judge would impose: make those kids sit in a chair and set a tennis ball machine close to their face to launch at 50-60 mph. Then let 'er rip.

MattTuck
10-25-2017, 11:38 AM
I try to keep an eye out behind me, ie. turn and look at oncoming cars. I find this drastically reduces issues. Just letting them know that I see them seems to put them on better behavior, and if they were going to do something stupid, they figure they'll just find easier prey next time.

Obviously, there are spots and times where this isn't safe or practical, but if we're looking for simple things we can do to lower the chances of something like this, it is probably the easiest.

beeatnik
10-25-2017, 11:39 AM
In the summer of 2010, on three occasions, I had eggs thrown at me on the mean streets of LA while riding in the evening. One of the local Spanish language news station reported that the egg assaults were intended to allow perpetrators to easily separate riders from their property.

shovelhd
10-25-2017, 11:41 AM
I was the judge i would grant your wish plus having all the idiots to suspend their driving licenses for at least 10 years, force them to ride a bike and put them in curfew at 8:30 pm and that's it. That will put a good precedent.

The only problem is that their parents will get them off the hook paying whatever is needed. It will suck tho... hope they catch those idiots they deserve whatever is coming to them.

If I was the judge, it would be 200 hours of supervised community service working on bike paths, the bike coop, whatever is available. If they are late, skip, or violate the order in any way, it's 30 days in juvie.

hokoman
10-25-2017, 12:00 PM
If I was the judge, it would be 200 hours of supervised community service working on bike paths, the bike coop, whatever is available. If they are late, skip, or violate the order in any way, it's 30 days in juvie.

Pretty sure the driver has to be an adult (18yo) to carry passengers (unless it is immediate family)... The driving laws have changed, but I think this was one of them - shows that it's not just juveniles.

BobO
10-25-2017, 12:01 PM

Perfect. The punishment fits the crime.

tylercheung
10-25-2017, 12:05 PM
I have to wonder - to protect ourselves, do people run the bicycle equivalent of "dash cams"?

foo_fighter
10-25-2017, 12:11 PM
That's a cycliq Fly6 being used but the quality is not that great. I wish they'd release a 1080p version.

I have to wonder - to protect ourselves, do people run the bicycle equivalent of "dash cams"?

chiasticon
10-25-2017, 12:41 PM
I try to keep an eye out behind me, ie. turn and look at oncoming cars. I find this drastically reduces issues. Just letting them know that I see them seems to put them on better behavior, and if they were going to do something stupid, they figure they'll just find easier prey next time.

Obviously, there are spots and times where this isn't safe or practical, but if we're looking for simple things we can do to lower the chances of something like this, it is probably the easiest.yeah, it's kinda difficult to give eye contact to every car traveling at 50 mph behind you. it's difficult to turn around and give eye contact to cars behind you period, let alone at that speed.

teenagers are jerks, period. likely they're too dumb to realize how badly this would hurt or how dangerous the aftermath of it could be (rider falling into traffic, etc.). either way, they deserve to be punished severely. hopefully they are.

54ny77
10-25-2017, 12:52 PM
honestly it's s&^%! like this that makes road riding less & less attractive to me, and i've been doing it for over 30 years. how many of you would go off the rails if that was your wife, daughter, or mom riding with you and that happened, and you were able to catch up with the car at a stoplight or intersection?

it's just a no-win situation. sucks the joy right out of cycling. despite long being outta the racing scene, i still always rode to escape life's daily stresses and enjoy it. nowadays, in most locales, that's not the case at all unless i'm out the door at 5 a.m. and back an hour or two later. on a weekend.

Spdntrxi
10-25-2017, 01:24 PM
Dublin canyon I think .. ride it often

Miller76
10-25-2017, 01:25 PM
This BS is another reason why I’m revisiting the idea of spending more time off-road. Even if the incident doesn’t come to anything, I don’t know what I would do if I did ever catch up with the perpetrator - but I’m sure it’s lose lose - let’s go gravel riding!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91Bear
10-25-2017, 01:42 PM
In 1990, I had a pickup come up behind me and the passenger threw a bottle at me. It landed about a foot in front of me and bounced off the road. A little while later, I heard them coming up behind me again and just as they got alongside, I turned my head to the left to look. Another bottle whizzed by my right ear. They probably would have caught my face had I not turned my head.

redir
10-25-2017, 01:47 PM
3NDE79L

That's Fly6 video.

How did you make that out? I can't see anything but a blur. This is why I have not purchased a fly6 yet but I want something that is good enough to help put aholes like this in prison where they belong.

jtakeda
10-25-2017, 01:58 PM
How did you make that out? I can't see anything but a blur. This is why I have not purchased a fly6 yet but I want something that is good enough to help put aholes like this in prison where they belong.

Beginning of the slo mo you can see it pretty clear.

nicrump
10-25-2017, 03:51 PM

reminded me of this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2717861/Whose-bright-idea-Motorists-drive-lights-beam-forced-sit-stare-punishment-Chinese-police.html

redir
10-26-2017, 07:49 AM
Beginning of the slo mo you can see it pretty clear.

I looked again with in full screen and I guess I could sort of work it out but I would not call it pretty clear. I wonder if police have special tools for this sort of thing. I imagine opening up in Photoshop to look real close might help.

But still. I want a camera that is not going to have any doubt about what it sees.

merckxman
10-26-2017, 08:12 AM
I've been waiting also for a hd version. I'm surprised that TREK hasn't jumped into this space, they sure are focused on lights, high viz clothing.

That's a cycliq Fly6 being used but the quality is not that great. I wish they'd release a 1080p version.

shovelhd
10-26-2017, 08:39 AM
I looked again with in full screen and I guess I could sort of work it out but I would not call it pretty clear. I wonder if police have special tools for this sort of thing. I imagine opening up in Photoshop to look real close might help.

But still. I want a camera that is not going to have any doubt about what it sees.

I used my admittedly poor vision to get enough for evidence, no tools. Any simple video or picture enhancement program would clean that up enough to make the numbers unmistakable. Yes, I'd like a 1080p version, but not at the cost of battery life. 720p does what I need. (BTW, 720p is HD, just not "full HD").

seanile
10-26-2017, 09:53 AM

redir
10-26-2017, 10:17 AM
I used my admittedly poor vision to get enough for evidence, no tools. Any simple video or picture enhancement program would clean that up enough to make the numbers unmistakable. Yes, I'd like a 1080p version, but not at the cost of battery life. 720p does what I need. (BTW, 720p is HD, just not "full HD").

Ah, so 1080 eats batteries then, I can see that.

tuscanyswe
10-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Ah, so 1080 eats batteries then, I can see that.

The fly12 front light/camera is 1080 so get both and your covered .)

azrider
11-02-2017, 04:59 PM
Anyone know if they ever found the degenerates who did this ?

Wilkinson4
11-02-2017, 05:15 PM
Years ago I was hit by an McD Egg McMuffin while riding. Car was passing on my left, I saw it out of the corner of my eye , turned my head but it still hit. I can still remember the smell no joke. It hit me solid but bounced of my helmet. I was pissed. I chased but it was a motorist that pulled over at the top of a hill to give me a lic #. I called the cops, they tracked the kid down. He was charged with four counts, including littering and misdemeanor assault IIRC.

They categorized the McD McMuffin as a missile:

Colorado Law

Propulsion of missiles into an occupied vehicle or onto a roadway.
(a) *Occupied vehicles.--Whoever intentionally throws, shoots or propels a rock, stone, brick, or piece of iron, steel or other like metal, or any deadly or dangerous missile, or fire bomb, into a vehicle or instrumentality of public transportation that is occupied by one or more persons commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

I testified, witness testified. Found guilty of all four counts. I never followed up on sentencing. He was 19yo I think. Not sure what he got but it carried a min of 6mo. So, there is hope that they capture and prosecute.

True Story!

Mike "MickeyD" W.