PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo Speed Sensor and Virtual Power?

Epicus07
10-24-2017, 07:53 PM
Hey guys,

Looking to get a little more objective methods of assessing my indoor training workouts. I dont have a fancy head unit or power meter and am hoping to avoid breaking the bank.

I'm considering picking up a wahoo speed sensor and pairing it to my phone and trialing the TrainerRoad app for power estimates and training guidance. I might eventually get a wahoo bolt.

Reviews of the wahoo sensor are all over the map with frequent complaints about dead batteries and short shelf life.

What do you guys think ?

cal_len1
10-24-2017, 08:13 PM
I used the Wahoo blue sc all last winter with no issues, to do exactly what you are thinking about. I had to change the battery during the summer, but 9 months sounds alright to me. I did ~ 15 weeks of The Sufferfest training plans, so I rode it a lot too. I would definitely recommend. For getting started with a trainer, this is a cheap and easy way to train to real (ish) targets.

Epicus07
10-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Awesome. Thanks !

CunegoFan
10-24-2017, 11:01 PM
The Wahoo Cadence and Speed sensors have worked well for me.

I initially bought the Blue SC but did not like it. The body needs to be a few millimeters from the crank arm and then from that position the arm has to be extended to be a few millimeters from the spoke magnet. I felt the positioning is made more difficult by the one piece design. I set it up just like a picture on DCRainMaker's site but sometimes had issues with cadence. The curve of my bike's chainstays and crank might not be an ideal match but did not think much about the design; a two piece design connected with a wire would have been much better. I got the Blue SC on sale from Performance but was sort of pissed off when I had to buy the RPM.

My Cycleops Super Magneto makes it easy to set the same tension on the wheel. Pumping the tire to the same pressure and calibrating gives fairly consistent virtual power.