PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Thule front skewer, or any el cheapo one

cgolvin
10-24-2017, 04:56 PM
I've got a very old Thule roof rack which mounts the front fork using a plain quick release, as pictured here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=271

I would like to find a replacement skewer, but absent that I'd gladly take any old el cheapo front skewer that you've got collecting dust.

Anyone?

cmbicycles
10-24-2017, 08:05 PM
What is the diameter you need for the skewer? A regular skewer wouldn't be thick enough to hold the fork, you'd need an axle and skewer from how it appears on the picture.

cgolvin
10-24-2017, 08:40 PM
What is the diameter you need for the skewer? A regular skewer wouldn't be thick enough to hold the fork, you'd need an axle and skewer from how it appears on the picture.

I don't have calipers so I can't measure the remaining skewer, but you make a good suggestion—I should try using a standard skewer to see if it will secure the fork. Such a skewer will wiggle a bit in the metal housing but I didn't check whether that affects it's clamping ability. Will post a follow up later, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmbicycles
10-24-2017, 09:06 PM
Most front axles are 9mm, so if the remaining qr takes up all the space in the fork dropout, as it probably should so it can't wiggle around, that is likely what you need. If there are "axle stubs" on the end of the mount for the fork to sit on, then you likely just need a regular QR. I may have something of the 9mm variety on (or around) my bench, I'll circle back if I find it.

charliedid
10-24-2017, 09:09 PM
It's a regular QR.

Try the bike shop. :-)

cgolvin
10-24-2017, 09:12 PM
It's a regular QR.

Try the bike shop. :-)

Sorry but it's not–-a regular QR has a lot of play when inserted into the rack whereas the Thule one fits snugly.

charliedid
10-24-2017, 09:41 PM
Sorry but it's not–-a regular QR has a lot of play when inserted into the rack whereas the Thule one fits snugly.

Right you are. Now I see and remember that it's much fatter. I was thinking that was a sleeve a regular QR fed into.

Thule is a PITA to deal with . Do you have an REI near you? Or a shop that has carried Thule for years?

charliedid
10-24-2017, 09:42 PM
What's wrong with the current one? Corrosion? Bent?

cgolvin
10-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Right you are. Now I see and remember that it's much fatter. I was thinking that was a sleeve a regular QR fed into.

Thule is a PITA to deal with . Do you have an REI near you? Or a shop that has carried Thule for years?

There are a number of Thule dealers here including REI, not sure how long they've been selling their stuff. But I'm pretty sure I've had this rack for 20 years and Thule doesn't have stock that old AFAIK.

cgolvin
10-24-2017, 10:03 PM
What's wrong with the current one? Corrosion? Bent?

I carried a friend's bike with disc brakes, had to open the closing end all the way, forgot to secure it and it worked its way loose on the freeway.

So actually I don't need the skewer, I need the closing nut (and the springs) but the diameter of the skewer is still the issue.

cmbicycles
10-24-2017, 10:11 PM
There are a number of Thule dealers here including REI, not sure how long they've been selling their stuff. But I'm pretty sure I've had this rack for 20 years and Thule doesn't have stock that old AFAIK.

Thule used to offer a dealer small parts kit to have on hand for repairs, but it was pre 2k when I last saw one. Might be worth a trip to the LBS with the skewer in hand, you might get lucky.

I found this Sachs skewer in my garage, measures a hair under 9mm diameter.
Let me know if you want to give it a shot.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171025/ca19cd0654dcbc5fdc2e45e6abc6be0c.jpg

cgolvin
10-24-2017, 10:22 PM
Thule used to offer a dealer small parts kit to have on hand for repairs, but it was pre 2k when I last saw one. Might be worth a trip to the LBS with the skewer in hand, you might get lucky.

I found this Sachs skewer in my garage, measures a hair under 9mm diameter.
Let me know if you want to give it a shot.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171025/ca19cd0654dcbc5fdc2e45e6abc6be0c.jpg

Thanks very much. I'm going to first try a standard road skewer and if it doesn't work I'll ask you to ship. Much appreciated

AngryScientist
10-24-2017, 11:55 PM
Check the Rocky Mounts web page. They have. 9mm one for 10 bucks.

dave thompson
10-25-2017, 12:24 AM
I have both Thule and Yakima racks. They both use the same sized skewer, the size your looking for. So do many fork traps, like the one in the pic. I would suspect you could go to most any store that sells roof racks of any brand and be able to buy the skewer or the nut.

Tomorrow I’ll dig around to see if I might have a spare skewer or nut. If I do, it’s yours.

pdmtong
10-25-2017, 12:31 AM
Def good idea to spin the nut way inboard if no bike being carried.
My modified rack is in the back of my vehicle and just driving around I have had the nut and spring spin off from basic driving vibration

cgolvin
10-25-2017, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I felt like a complete idiot afterward. I was driving to San Diego and at some point heard a 'clunk' on the roof, pondered what it was, then forgot about it. Stopped for gas and it suddenly dawned on me what had happened. D'oh.