PDA

View Full Version : I can’t stand up

kookmyers
10-24-2017, 04:21 PM
I rode my bike to work last Thursday and when I got off my lower back hurt. It took a minute to be able to stand. It felt bad all day then I had to ride home. (Mistake #1). The ride didn’t hurt but the dismount did.
I babied it Friday-Sunday and was feeling a small amount of relief. I could stand up with only a little effort and was able to get around semi normally.

The big mistake came in the choice to ride to work on Monday. Again, riding didn’t hurt but the pain level went way up and I could not stand for about 20 minutes. I should have taken a taxi home. Since riding home :eek: on Monday, I have not been able to stand straight and the pain is pretty bad.
Advice?

Note: can’t stand up means I am walking around in a hunched position. I can’t get the lower back to straighten as the pain prevents me from trying. The pain is constant, not just sharp with certain movements.

I do not recall an incident of lifting or moving and starting the pain.

Tickdoc
10-24-2017, 04:40 PM
Back spasms. they suck. I have been there and debilitating spasm like that was the start of back pain for me.

I had corticosteroid injections to alleviate the initial spasms when they were really bad, along with anti-inflammatory meds and muscle relaxants. (years ago)

Now I just stretch religiously and have adjustments when things get out of whack.

I would try to find a Dr to help alleviate the immediate symptoms.

My favorite for that is a manipulative D.O. if you have one in your area.

Best of luck!

kookmyers
10-24-2017, 05:29 PM
Thanks. I made a chiropractor appointment for tomorrow. My friends have been on me to go see him for various ailments for a long time.
Hope it helps!

gasman
10-24-2017, 05:33 PM
If you can’t get in to see someone soon and assuming you have normal kidney function take 800 mg (4 regular ) ibuprofen tabs or capsules. Take them with food and water. You can have that dose 3 Times a day. Also try a heating pad.

Longer term start moving ASAP. I have buddies that swear by yoga and some that just swear. Best of luck.

Bentley
10-24-2017, 05:59 PM
A couple of years ago I had a situation develop. I was flying home from a couple of days of meetings. Walking down the staircase off the plane I felt a tightness in my back. I figured that I'd get something to eat, have a beer and I would feel better. I didn't. I figured I'd go home get some sleep and it would get better, it didn't. I went to my trusty smart phone and pulled up WebMD, basically said I was dying so I ran to the ER. 4 plus hours later the Dr gave me fluids by IV, with an to a info am stories and asked how much water I'd been drinking, it was not enough.

Not sure if this is your situation, but are you drinking enough water, not soda, coffee, beer, but water? I was 54 at the time, the Dr. Told me dehydration can do funny things like feel like a back strain.

kookmyers
10-24-2017, 06:15 PM
Wow. That is crazy. I might have considered it if I didn’t recently start drinking a bunch during the work week. The weekends, not so much.
I’ll go get some right now!

FastforaSlowGuy
10-24-2017, 06:25 PM
Ah, my good friend back spasms. This happens to me about 2-3 times per year. Sometimes it's mild and lasts a day or two. Other times it's a week. If it doesn't go away after a couple days of heavy Advil use (as someone suggested), then you're probably in need of a steroid anti-inflammatory. A lot of docs will also push various opiods on you for the pain, but they don't work. If it's bad, it will take me a week on the steroids (sometimes a single muscle relaxant at night) to feel close to normal.

I find it happens when I do something just a little wrong with my back, and then it springs into action later that day or the next day. Lots of core work. Stretching will help after things have healed

simplemind
10-24-2017, 06:37 PM
Read a book called "Treat Your Back". Do the lordosis exercises, and you will be surprised!

Ken Robb
10-24-2017, 06:51 PM
Since you won't be doing much tonight anyway try this: Lie on the floor with your legs pointed at a chair, sofa, etc. Raise your legs so your heels and calfs are resting on the seat and your thighs are perpendicular to the floor. Try to relax and stay in this position for 30-60 minutes. If you are lucky the arch you probably have in the small of your back will begin to flatten. Eventually the arch may go away and your entire back will be flat on the floor. If you take care getting up your pain MAY be gone. It worked for me.

IFRider
10-24-2017, 06:59 PM
If you can’t get in to see someone soon and assuming you have normal kidney function take 800 mg (4 regular ) ibuprofen tabs or capsules. Take them with food and water. You can have that dose 3 Times a day. Also try a heating pad.

Longer term start moving ASAP. I have buddies that swear by yoga and some that just swear. Best of luck.

Partial disc removal left me with a pelvis locking up issue. I would randomly get a really bad sciatica/lower back spasm. When if finally got to a real diagnosis with a good sports chiropractor I would use the ibuprofen as above in addition to the manipulation. He also used some electrode treatment on my lower back that was supposed to break the spasm cycle, which worked amazingly well (I would have to use ski poles to walk from car to treatment, I and could walk out normally, albeit sore).

Good luck and hydrate also ...

seanile
10-24-2017, 07:02 PM
I couldnt stand up straight for two weeks after falling asleep awkwardly on a bike. I got a cortisone shot right in between some discs, and then rode across the country 3 days later. See an orthopoedic doc.

eippo1
10-24-2017, 07:19 PM
I couldnt stand up straight for two weeks after falling asleep awkwardly on a bike. I got a cortisone shot right in between some discs, and then rode across the country 3 days later. See an orthopoedic doc.

I can't help but imagine you falling asleep while riding and nothing bad happening. Must have been riding out where the roads are reallly straight. :bike:

Also, I'm not a doc, but my professional advice is that OP should probably go see a doc.

seanile
10-24-2017, 07:25 PM
I can't help but imagine you falling asleep while riding and nothing bad happening. Must have been riding out where the roads are reallly straight. :bike:

Also, I'm not a doc, but my professional advice is that OP should probably go see a doc.

Hahaha..meant to say bus

Peter P.
10-24-2017, 07:32 PM
Thanks. I made a chiropractor appointment for tomorrow. My friends have been on me to go see him for various ailments for a long time.
Hope it helps!

Usually single adjustments from a chiropractor work for me.

I've also found stretching, while in pain it may take five minutes to even get in anywhere NEAR a reasonable stretch, worked wonders.

Tandem Rider
10-24-2017, 09:06 PM
My experience with back pain has been helped by a sports physical therapist. He finally beat proper stretching through my thick skull, problem solved, until a bad ski crash. Then he put me back together yet again.

72gmc
10-24-2017, 09:18 PM
I had a similar issue years ago. In my case the act of picking up my courier bag created too much pain to stand, so I called my wife for a ride home. Saw my doc, then the chiro he recommended. Felt so much better from the first appointment on (it was a series of 8 sessions as I recall).

Since then, I’ve had tenderness several times and it’s a reminder to work on my core. Yoga, back extensions with an exercise ball, planks, etc. Hard to make time for yoga classes but it feels great.

Wilkinson4
10-25-2017, 12:03 AM
As someone who has been dealing with lower back issues for the last year I can say I feel your pain. I don't have any pathological issues with my spine . I started going to a P/T this year and it has helped some... What it really helped with is identify and develop a good plan to deal with all my pelvic and muscle imbalance as well as understand what may be going on. I am 50yo, and never really stretched.

In my case, we think I have multifidus triangle issues (QL, Medius and Multifidus)... Anyway, check out the Mackenzie Method on youtube. Then, see P/T or an osteopath if you can find one... Some of the stuff that you need to do or identify you can't do alone... My 2 cents.

I just had a wicked crash a few weeks ago that hasn't helped my back at all so I am almost back to where I was last year resetting all the progress I made:(

Mike

sales guy
10-25-2017, 06:50 AM
After tensing up for a car crash my lower back/muscles have been super wacked. My hip flexors are stupid tight and causing me to not be straight vertically. I tilt left slightly in my torso. And it hurts to stand, bend and pretty much anything really.
Are your lower back muscles tight? If so, your hip flexors are in constant pull. Y
Need to loosen them up. I see a chiro a couple times a week for PT and serious stretching. He's also doing Active Release. It causes those muscles to loosen up. That hurts a ton but it works.

oldpotatoe
10-25-2017, 06:51 AM
I rode my bike to work last Thursday and when I got off my lower back hurt. It took a minute to be able to stand. It felt bad all day then I had to ride home. (Mistake #1). The ride didn’t hurt but the dismount did.
I babied it Friday-Sunday and was feeling a small amount of relief. I could stand up with only a little effort and was able to get around semi normally.

The big mistake came in the choice to ride to work on Monday. Again, riding didn’t hurt but the pain level went way up and I could not stand for about 20 minutes. I should have taken a taxi home. Since riding home :eek: on Monday, I have not been able to stand straight and the pain is pretty bad.
Advice?

Note: can’t stand up means I am walking around in a hunched position. I can’t get the lower back to straighten as the pain prevents me from trying. The pain is constant, not just sharp with certain movements.

Haven't read any but yours but yeegads man, go see a doctor, it's what they do...:eek:

giverdada
10-25-2017, 07:01 AM
i rode a hilly century in august off of no training and no time in the saddle whatsoever. climbing always tears my back up, but this much, this soon, and my back was pooched. (i also enjoyed a bunch of time swinging an axe and hunching over a chainsaw.) couldn't tie my shoes. couldn't bend over to stretch my hamstrings. brutal.

tried chiro and some kind of S/I joint crack/replacement move - thing got worse and never any better. big crack and seemed like things would be fine, but the ache just got worse.

went to my go-to physio guy and he did a bunch of stuff to improve my mobility, and moved in the direction of proper diagnosis without jumping to a quick fix. seems it was/is a lumbar nerve aggravation that radiates out the side and down into my leg a bit. asymmetrical symptoms, but totally debilitating at the peak. now it has subsided for the most part, but i read much of this thread while on my stomach on the living room floor this morning. 'tummy time' seems to be my best therapy. i would not have figured any of this out myself - i can only recommend to go see good healers, whether they be doctors, sports med doctors, physio, chiro, guru, whomever. i just wanted to let you know my experience, as it was similar, and you have more possible problems to explore in healing. i hope your healing is quick and complete. i managed a 55-mile ride in NYC back in september, but i think it was only because traffic was so bad and lights were so plentiful that i only ever had my butt on the saddle for 90s at a time, max. i haven't ridden more than 22k at a time since. hopefully next week. i am back to running now though, so at least there's some therapy! best of luck.

Satellite
10-25-2017, 07:21 AM
Deleted

oldpotatoe
10-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Was the National Anthem playing in the background? The National Anthem appears to give some of the healthiest athletes in the world back spasms and the need to take knee. Turn that unpatriotic music off and you can stand up good and tall again. Then you can proceed to run as fast as you can at another man leaping off the ground and hit another man doing the same thing like Rocky Mountain Sheep during mating season.

That’ll close this thing...dummm response.

Jgrooms
10-25-2017, 09:26 AM
^ No kidding!

I cannot say enough about adding a daily yoga routine to one’s cycling. A simple 20-30 min flow hits all the groups. Increases flex, strength & improves recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildboar
10-25-2017, 09:46 AM

I've experienced some strange back stuff like this after having the saddle incrementally slip back on the seatpost rails if the clamp isn't tight enough, usually from hitting bumps in the road. Maybe check your setback measurement & or dial it in if you don't know to the mm where you need it. ?

kookmyers
10-25-2017, 09:55 AM
I've experienced some strange back stuff like this after having the saddle incrementally slip back on the seatpost rails if the clamp isn't tight enough, usually from hitting bumps in the road. Maybe check your setback measurement & or dial it in if you don't know to the mm where you need it. ?

Once I am recovered I need to go get a fit. I have been putting it off thinking I have been in a fine position.

About 2 weeks ago, I lowered my seat about 1.5” based on the lemond formula. Seems like that may have been the catalyst.

cmg
10-25-2017, 10:39 AM
when I had the back spasms the doc recommended Yoga https://www.doyouyoga.com/10-yoga-postures-for-back-pain/ give it a try.

bobswire
10-25-2017, 10:51 AM
A simple gravity chair (https://www.google.com/search?q=gravity+chair&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtyqODj4zXAhVS7mMKHWaOAS0Q_AUICygC&biw=996&bih=551)works wonders for me when I have back spasms and even for sciatica. For whatever ever reason it takes the pressure off when I recline, within hours whatever pain I had subsides. It is not a cure but it relieves the tension and pain, sometimes the issue does not return.

gasman
10-25-2017, 11:19 AM
Was the National Anthem playing in the background? The National Anthem appears to give some of the healthiest athletes in the world back spasms and the need to take knee. Turn that unpatriotic music off and you can stand up good and tall again. Then you can proceed to run as fast as you can at another man leaping off the ground and hit another man doing the same thing like Rocky Mountain Sheep during mating season.

I’m not sure if you are attempting humor, if so it is falling flat. If you are making a political statement you have been here long enough to know the rules.
Please stop and think.
I’m keeping this thread open as there have been a lot of good suggestions for the OP.

45K10
10-25-2017, 11:21 AM
Stretch those hamstrings and piriformis muscles. I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago. I felt better riding the bike than sitting at the desk or standing.

Took three days off the bike, stretched four times a day. Then my back finally loosened up. I took another three days off to make sure.

pncguy
10-25-2017, 12:12 PM
As someone who has been dealing with lower back issues for the last year I can say I feel your pain. I don't have any pathological issues with my spine . I started going to a P/T this year and it has helped some... What it really helped with is identify and develop a good plan to deal with all my pelvic and muscle imbalance as well as understand what may be going on. I am 50yo, and never really stretched.

In my case, we think I have multifidus triangle issues (QL, Medius and Multifidus)... Anyway, check out the Mackenzie Method on youtube.

This is me to a tee, except it has been years. I highly recommend the Mackenzie method. It is pretty hard to do when you're still in a lot of pain, but it REALLY does help.

Satellite
10-25-2017, 06:16 PM
I’m not sure if you are attempting humor, if so it is falling flat. If you are making a political statement you have been here long enough to know the rules.
Please stop and think.
I’m keeping this thread open as there have been a lot of good suggestions for the OP.

Yes humor.

Why would someone with this problem seek medical advice as potentially as serious as back ailments that could cause worse case serious paralysis from a forum. Seek medical treatment from a doctor. I injured my lower back year's ago I Iove this forum but I didn't seek medical advice here. I can tell you that Safeway puts the back pain treatment options on the bottom shelf in the over the counter pharmacy. I wanted to kick them in the butt but I couldn't at the time. Once your back is injured I don't think it ever fully recovers. Your results may vary.

As far a political statement it's far from political. Nothing political or law driven about NOT standing for the Anthem. Freedom of speech yes stupid yes Politcal that is a stretch. If the mods want to delete my post I am all for it. Heck I did it myself but I can't change the quoted replies.

kookmyers
10-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Went and saw a chiropractor this morning and after an adjustment, i was able to stand again. I am not sure what my long-term treatment will be but i am seeing him again tomorrow.
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Satellite
10-25-2017, 06:43 PM
Went and saw a chiropractor this morning and after an adjustment, i was able to stand again. I am not sure what my long-term treatment will be but i am seeing him again tomorrow.
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Chiropractor is an excellent choice. I fully believe in them. They fixed my neck when I had a nerve sublimation. It took a few trips.

10-25-2017, 06:53 PM
This kind of issue benefits from massage, the more the better. You don't have to pay for someone. Just get a high quality foam roller and use it religiously. Several times a day. Start easy so it doesn't exacerbate anything and then work up till you're putting your full load on it.

There are good and bad rollers. By far the best I've found -- and a lot better, including in the opinion of a lot of lifters and other athletes -- is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/TriggerPoint-Roller-Instructional-Original-13-inch/dp/B0040EKZDY/ref=sr_1_9?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1508975603&sr=1-9&keywords=foam+roller

rrudoff
10-25-2017, 06:55 PM
A couple of years ago I had a situation develop. I was flying home from a couple of days of meetings. Walking down the staircase off the plane I felt a tightness in my back. I figured that I'd get something to eat, have a beer and I would feel better. I didn't. I figured I'd go home get some sleep and it would get better, it didn't. I went to my trusty smart phone and pulled up WebMD, basically said I was dying so I ran to the ER. 4 plus hours later the Dr gave me fluids by IV, with an to a info am stories and asked how much water I'd been drinking, it was not enough.

Not sure if this is your situation, but are you drinking enough water, not soda, coffee, beer, but water? I was 54 at the time, the Dr. Told me dehydration can do funny things like feel like a back strain.

I had a similar thing of an odd reason for lower back pain l. Several weeks of lower back pain. Not horrid but annoying. Not usual for me and I blamed a new to me bike. Finally woken up in middle of night while on a business trip by really bad lower back pain. Was in ER at 10 am as there was no way I was flying home. Turned out to be a kidney stone of all things after CT scan . Never had one before. As soon as it cleared, actually as soon as some iv Toradol, my back eased off and a few days was okay.
Was likely going on for several weeks but only really hurt badly at end.

regularguy412
10-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Once I am recovered I need to go get a fit. I have been putting it off thinking I have been in a fine position.

About 2 weeks ago, I lowered my seat about 1.5” based on the lemond formula. Seems like that may have been the catalyst.

WOW! Lowered it all at once?

Umm. You may, in fact need to be at that height, but do it in 2-3 mm increments with a couple of weeks between each move. Gotta give the ol' bod' at least a little time to adapt.

One anecdotal data point,, Fignon once exclaimed that his mechanic got his saddle about 2mm too low once and it almost ruined his knees on that day.

I'm not particularly a Fignon fan, but I'd take that advice pretty seriously.

Mike in AR:beer:

jtakeda
10-25-2017, 08:32 PM
At the expense of exposing my true weirdo. I’d recommend a visit to the chiro and an inversion table

kookmyers
10-25-2017, 09:41 PM
WOW! Lowered it all at once?

Mike in AR:beer:

Unfortunately, yes. :(

Wilkinson4
10-26-2017, 12:04 AM
This is me to a tee, except it has been years. I highly recommend the Mackenzie method. It is pretty hard to do when you're still in a lot of pain, but it REALLY does help.

Ugh, that scares the crap outta me. Years??? It has been more than a year for me and I am starting to think this is the new normal:mad: But, after I heal from my last crash I am going to see a D.O. I have even thought about visiting the Dr. Centeno in Broomfield, CO... He is a pioneer in Stem Cell and Platelet treatments. Point for the OP, seek professional advice and treatment and stay on top of it, back issues can linger.

Also, when you lowered you also move the saddle forward which affected all sorts of things. You can do it all at once, but only go <70% for a few weeks in the new position. Also, if you mess with cleat position (mid foot) you also need to think about how that affects things.

A good reference is Steve Hogg but there are top notch fitters on this site that would be excellent resources.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/02/seat-height-how-hard-can-it-be/

Mike

paredown
10-26-2017, 06:49 AM
I had a similar thing of an odd reason for lower back pain l. Several weeks of lower back pain. Not horrid but annoying. Not usual for me and I blamed a new to me bike. Finally woken up in middle of night while on a business trip by really bad lower back pain. Was in ER at 10 am as there was no way I was flying home. Turned out to be a kidney stone of all things after CT scan . Never had one before. As soon as it cleared, actually as soon as some iv Toradol, my back eased off and a few days was okay.
Was likely going on for several weeks but only really hurt badly at end.

Similar experience--what I thought was weird lower back pain was in fact a severely lacerated kidney from a fall.

Boy that was a mess...