PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance help please

vaxn8r
09-17-2006, 05:12 PM
I purchased a new Specialized S-Works Carbon post last week and I've had continual problems with the bolt (clamping the post to the rails) backing out. I first installed it dry and clean. It backed out immediately on the first ride. Then I took it apart and greased the screw and retightened. It also backed out. Since then I've retightened 3 more times and it loosens up on each ride.

Any constructive ideas would be greatly appreciated. The seat is a Flite ti...the old classic.

PS. If you want to know why on the CF post it's because you all shamed me into it by making derogatory comments about my bent Thomson post. So please, help me fix this thing.

toaster
09-17-2006, 05:16 PM
There's always red Loctite. Maybe find a lock washer for that bad boy.

Dude
09-17-2006, 05:34 PM
I'd try a lock washer first, and then if that doesnt work, try loctite 242. it is blue and isn't permanent like "red" loctite (646 i believe).

vaxn8r
09-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Lock washer? Hardware store?

chrisroph
09-17-2006, 05:52 PM
In this order:

1. lockwasher;
2. loctite;
3. ebay.

repeat.........thomson, ritchey, thomson, ritchey

vaxn8r
09-17-2006, 06:03 PM
repeat.........thomson, ritchey, thomson, ritchey
I know, I KNOW! Just wanted to try something else. It is a cool post if I can get the thing to work right.

ada@prorider.or
09-17-2006, 06:05 PM
roughen the tread a bit with a saw blade
(like a gas pipe)
use copper paste on the tread

assemble the thing again

Archibald
09-17-2006, 06:20 PM
I purchased a new Specialized S-Works Carbon post last week and I've had continual problems with the bolt (clamping the post to the rails) backing out. I first installed it dry and clean. It backed out immediately on the first ride. Then I took it apart and greased the screw and retightened. It also backed out. Since then I've retightened 3 more times and it loosens up on each ride.

Any constructive ideas would be greatly appreciated. The seat is a Flite ti...the old classic.

PS. If you want to know why on the CF post it's because you all shamed me into it by making derogatory comments about my bent Thomson post. So please, help me fix this thing.
Is it the one piece clamp that has the rail clamps on the side and the center rotates for angle adjustment?

If so, read the directions that came with the post. Completely disassemble the clamp assembly, clean completely, make sure that the nut is not bottoming out on the screw, then grease as shown in the instructions, and reassemble. A buddy had this same post, it was a pita. Turned out the nut was incompletely threaded and had to run a tap through it to allow the screw to tighten fully on the rails.

dekindy
09-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Would wrapping teflon thread pipe tape solve the problem? This is a question, not a recommendation. It has always worked for stopping leaks on plastic pipe threads. I was wondering if it would work for this application?

This is either a brilliant recommendation or total rubbish. I would like to know if it would work.

Kevan
09-18-2006, 10:01 AM
loctite or teflon tape options. The lockwasher would have to be stainless. A star washer might work too.

I'd try the teflon first.

vaxn8r
09-18-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm going to check if the screw is bottoming out first. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Next I'll look at the other recommendations. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. I'll update what works.