PDA

View Full Version : PF30 BB Opinions

Vamoots58
10-24-2017, 06:39 AM
About to get to it with my new parlay Album build. Frame has a PF30 BB shell, trying to decide between CK PF30 ceramic and Wheels Manufacturing PF30 Threaded Ceramic. There is a difference in $$$, but I am leaning toward the WM option because after the DS is pressed in, the NDS threads the assembly together. Wondering if there are any negative opinions of the Wm solution out there, or any overwhelmingly positive experiences with the CK, enough to sway me...Thank you in advance for any thoughts!!

peanutgallery
10-24-2017, 07:28 AM
Better yet, stick with a 24mm or gxp crank and use a thread together like the wheels manufacturing or a praxxis. Have used the wheels manufacturing thread together in a PF30 with a BB30 crankset with no problems. Be careful on the install as there isn't a lot of purchase for your tool. Not so with the 24/gxp option. BTW, absolutely no need for ceramic

As far as Chris King? I had to switch someones freehub from a shimano to an XD driver recently....from a bare shell, so we've broken up

ltwtsculler91
10-24-2017, 08:12 AM
I would go with the wheels in your case since they thread together.

What crank are you running? The Parlee BBs work REALLY well with Shimano

Vamoots58
10-24-2017, 08:21 AM
going with Rotor 3D+ MAS (30mm spindle) - the rest of the group is SR EPS. There is limited availability / configuration flexibility for Q-Rings on Ultra Torque, so going away from Campy for this crankset.

fa63
10-24-2017, 08:26 AM
I have had nothing but good experiences with the WM BBs. I use their threaded adapter on two bikes.

pasadena
10-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Hambini Racing bottom bracket if you absolutely want the best.

Also buy some good quality bearings from him. They are industry leading quality and only a few dollars, while being better than ceramic

10-24-2017, 10:20 AM
When they first came out, both BB30 and PF30 bottom brackets had a tendency to creak. People learned to keep quality control up on the bottom bracket shell and they learned how to install them. And a few bad designs just went away. These days, whatever you get should work well.