PDA

View Full Version : Packing spare Tubular

tranty0719
10-23-2017, 11:24 PM
Currently, I am carrying my spare tubular strap underneath my saddle. Just want to hear how others are packing their spare tubular on their ride.

merlincustom1
10-23-2017, 11:29 PM
^same

tailingloop
10-23-2017, 11:42 PM
I've seen them in water bottle cages as well. It limits the second water bottle and not as aesthetically pleasing but functional.

hummus_aquinas
10-23-2017, 11:44 PM
The Jandd Tubular Bag is the only real choice.

https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FTBII
https://www.jandd.com/ProdImages/BicycleSeatBagsFramePacks/TireBagII/TBII-Detail.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Mvwhp9j.jpg

Jandd is the best. They've been doing it forever.

Louis
10-23-2017, 11:53 PM
If you're really cool you use at toe clip strap:

(not mine; and note where the picture was taken - that tells you everything you need to know about being hip )

http://d7ab823tjbf2qywyt3grgq63.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/EuropeanPosteriorTubular-620x465.png

VTR1000SP2
10-24-2017, 05:20 AM
In the spirit of Halloween and this thread

http://cdn1.cyclist.co.uk/sites/cyclist/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/0/70//tubs_02.jpg?itok=UbdilVj1

ANAO
10-24-2017, 06:09 AM
Frank is the owner of velominati. I don't know that he visits R regularly, being as they don't have any where he's from.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ralph
10-24-2017, 06:10 AM
When I started riding tubulars in the early 70's, just used a toe strap. But that rubbed/wore the side of the tire, so later in my tubular riding days....started using an old black sock doubled back, so two thicknesses.....which would also hold Co2, some money, ID, etc. Switched over to clinchers a few years ago....so now would probably use one of the bags made for tubulars.

djg21
10-24-2017, 06:22 AM
http://www.velominati.com/tradition/european-posterior-tubular-eptb/

homagesilkhope
10-24-2017, 06:59 AM
When I started riding tubulars in the early 70's, just used a toe strap. But that rubbed/wore the side of the tire, so later in my tubular riding days....

To address that issue, a bicycle mechanic in Japan taught me to wrap the middle section of a folded tubular tightly with the plastic bag/sleeve that handlebars are (used to be?) shipped in. The bag is long and you get enough revolutions that it's secure. Heavy rubber band, then toe strap under the saddle. I suppose any kind of plastic "wrap" will do, but I still do the handlebar-bag wrap (though I gave up the toe strap and switched to a wide velcro strap long ago for attaching under the saddle).

In Italy - especially in the north - water (or coffee or coke) is rarely far away and I've learned to go with a single bottle. The spare tubular rides inside a cut-off water bottle in the other cage.

chiasticon
10-24-2017, 07:19 AM
I've seen them in water bottle cages as well. It limits the second water bottle and not as aesthetically pleasing but functional.this is a good route. for me, I only regularly carry two bottles from May-August. the other months, there's greater potential for road spray going up into the tubular as well. so keeping it tucked away in a closed bottle* keeps it clean and dry. during two bottle season, it goes under the saddle.

* I cut off the tops of two bottles, cut a small slit in one and stuff the tubular in the other. then smash 'em together.

oldpotatoe
10-24-2017, 07:25 AM
Currently, I am carrying my spare tubular strap underneath my saddle. Just want to hear how others are packing their spare tubular on their ride.

Samo..using a Campagnolo or Binda strap makes the bike go faster and you'll have fewer punctures tho..:)

I wrap mine in an old sock. If I gotta carry 2 tires(wife cannot rescue), I have one in a cut off waterbottle BUT I have 2 flats in one ride 3 times in 37 years of using tubulars but still....

ldamelio
10-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Most of the time I just carry sealant and a valve tool; if heading out for an all day affair, I use this to carry a spare:

http://www.arundelbike.com/product/tubi/

The toe strap method has retro panache' but I don't see why one would want to have the tire exposed to dirt, water, etc. I think the glue might get effed up and not adhere when you need it. My spare is a new mid range Vittoria; I freshen the glue every year or two. At the risk of jinxing myself, haven't needed it yet in about 5 years of riding tubulars as my everyday wheels. YMMV.

Tickdoc
10-24-2017, 09:41 AM
there is a tubbie packed neatly in this bag, believe it or not:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/B1072039-AB26-49F6-A5BD-F3FC39A38EF2_zpsib8dvsjx.jpg

But I prefer the naked tire and a toe strap:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/8B12157B-C5F4-4C9E-B88B-0AAA8D4E3A3B_zpsl05kfrwy.jpg

CAAD
10-24-2017, 09:49 AM
Folded with a toe strap under saddle. Only bring it on rides that i have to drive to the start. Every other ride its just a bottle of sealant and Co2.

AngryScientist
10-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Arundel tubi bag.

Carrying a pre-glued tubular exposed to wet grit and grime thrown up from the rear tire is a recipe for disaster if you ever have to use the spare. All that nasty road silt and stuff winds up getting into the glue and makes for more work mounting. The arundel bag is superb for this application IMO

joosttx
10-24-2017, 09:56 AM
This is how I do it. Works great....

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f7/how-fold-tubular-2283.html

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4395/36132575473_55b72bbf74_c.jpg

AngryScientist
10-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Houston illustrates a good point above. With his frame size, the saddle looks to be over a foot from the rear wheel. With my frame size, much less distance; so the underside of my saddle will see lots more road debris from the tire.

10-24-2017, 10:09 AM
Splurge on an inexpensive but very compact tire (my favorite is the Tufo S3 Pro, but never the S3 Lite or Elite). Fold it correctly (that's like feng shui -- if you don't fold it right, everything else you do with the tire or in life is useless). Use a proper tire bag (Arundel or something smaller if you can fit your tire and stuff in). Use a Binda toe strap (sorry, Spud, but a Campagnolo toe strap is acceptable for your Campy pedals but totally violates feng shui for under your saddle).

People who live in places like Boulder are fine with socks because they never walk around in socks anyway so they have socks to spare. And I swear they vacuum the streets at night. Plus the weather is good enough that you aren't exposing the tire to the elements like in Boston or Seattle or anywhere else that tends to be wet or dirty. If you live in real places, not ones you've had to chase a white rabbit to get to (like Boulder), get a real tire bag. Don't use plastic wrap because it just traps water or condensation against your tire and that's worse than doing nothing.

And of course this whole discussion is like the discussion about how to convince Trump to be nice to Gold Medal families. The real discussion is about why Trump is there at all, or in this case, why are you such a miserable cyclist that you ever get flats?

AngryScientist
10-24-2017, 10:16 AM
Splurge on an inexpensive but very compact tire (my favorite is the Tufo S3 Pro, but never the S3 Lite or Elite). Fold it correctly (that's like feng shui -- if you don't fold it right, everything else you do with the tire or in life is useless). Use a proper tire bag (Arundel or something smaller if you can fit your tire and stuff in). Use a Binda toe strap (sorry, Spud, but a Campagnolo toe strap is acceptable for your Campy pedals but totally violates feng shui for under your saddle).

People who live in places like Boulder are fine with socks because they never walk around in socks anyway so they have socks to spare. And I swear they vacuum the streets at night. Plus the weather is good enough that you aren't exposing the tire to the elements like in Boston or Seattle or anywhere else that tends to be wet or dirty. If you live in real places, not ones you've had to chase a white rabbit to get to (like Boulder), get a real tire bag. Don't use plastic wrap because it just traps water or condensation against your tire and that's worse than doing nothing.

And of course this whole discussion is like the discussion about how to convince Trump to be nice to Gold Medal families. The real discussion is about why Trump is there at all, or in this case, why are you such a miserable cyclist that you ever get flats?

Sorry. Wrong.

I have seen multiple people in Boulder in socks. How could I be so sure they were wearing socks? Plainly visible under their Tevas or Birks.

ANAO
10-24-2017, 10:28 AM
This is how I do it. Works great....

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f7/how-fold-tubular-2283.html

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4395/36132575473_55b72bbf74_c.jpg

Can you post the pics here too? I can never remember my login there and I just end up getting booted for 15 minutes.

ultraman6970
10-24-2017, 10:33 AM
I put it in the second water bottle cage.

chiasticon
10-24-2017, 10:33 AM

And of course this whole discussion is like the discussion about how to convince Trump to be nice to Gold Medal families. The real discussion is about why Trump is there at all, or in this case, why are you such a miserable cyclist that you ever get flats?is there any way I can get an alert email every time 11.4 posts anything, so I can come here to read his gems?

Pelican
10-24-2017, 10:38 AM
The real discussion is about why Trump is there at all, or in this case, why are you such a miserable cyclist that you ever get flats?

I never get flats. I ride tubulars with no spares. Have only had to call for a rescue once, and that was for the damn Italian BB!

KarlC
10-24-2017, 10:55 AM
I never saw the need to carry a spare, why carry something 100% of the time you may only need 1% of the time.

Our roads are crap, full of debris and I use nice lighter weight tubs.

All I do is pre-load the tire with sealant and carry Vittoria Pitstop in my jersey. Sealant will fix issues with out me even knowing and if I get the rare flat I use Pitstop and I'm back on the road in less than a minuet.

Only once did I get a large gash that made the tire useless and Ubered home.

oldpotatoe
10-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Folded with a toe strap under saddle. Only bring it on rides that i have to drive to the start. Every other ride its just a bottle of sealant and Co2.

Ya GOTTA have it naked, secured with a proper toe strap...otherwise people won’t know how cool you are. With a bag, they’ll think yer just another Nancy.:)

tailingloop
10-24-2017, 01:34 PM
I'm new to tubulars and will try this route. Thanks for the suggestion. Does the sealant degrade the tube over time? Does it change ride characteristics at all?

I never saw the need to carry a spare, why carry something 100% of the time you may only need 1% of the time.

Our roads are crap, full of debris and I use nice lighter weight tubs.

All I do is pre-load the tire with sealant and carry Vittoria Pitstop in my jersey. Sealant will fix issues with out me even knowing and if I get the rare flat I use Pitstop and I'm back on the road in less than a minuet.

Only once did I get a large gash that made the tire useless and Ubered home.

KarlC
10-24-2017, 01:41 PM
I'm new to tubulars and will try this route. Thanks for the suggestion. Does the sealant degrade the tube over time? Does it change ride characteristics at all?

I have read, seen photos of sealant in tires that sat stationary for many months stick to the inside of a deflated tire and wreck the tire. I have also read that its not good to use compressed air with some sealants.

I have not had any issues or noticed any changes in ride characteristics after use of sealants or Pitstop.

uber
10-24-2017, 01:46 PM
I use a 22mm Tufo tire folded and protected in a Zip plastic bag. It fits in my Jersey pocket. No saddlw bag.

redir
10-24-2017, 03:09 PM
I've found that a Thomson seatpost bag works great to hold a tubluar and small kit.

TDot
10-24-2017, 04:32 PM
If you're really cool you use at toe clip strap:

(not mine; and note where the picture was taken - that tells you everything you need to know about being hip )

http://d7ab823tjbf2qywyt3grgq63.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/EuropeanPosteriorTubular-620x465.png

This is how I do it - a Christoph toe strap - it does look better on a classic bike than on my carbon road bike. Still haven't figured out how to make that look work yet:confused:

tranty0719
10-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Thank you everyone for your input and advice

teleguy57
10-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Most of the time I just carry sealant and a valve tool; if heading out for an all day affair, I use this to carry a spare:

http://www.arundelbike.com/product/tubi/

The toe strap method has retro panache' but I don't see why one would want to have the tire exposed to dirt, water, etc. I think the glue might get effed up and not adhere when you need it. My spare is a new mid range Vittoria; I freshen the glue every year or two. At the risk of jinxing myself, haven't needed it yet in about 5 years of riding tubulars as my everyday wheels. YMMV.

+1 on Tubi for a single spare; Jannd dual for those rare unsupported looong rides where cell service is marginal.:eek:

I do carry valve tool/sealant; so that's belt, suspenders, and a second set of suspenders at times?

Trying to remember the last time I actually pulled out a spare tubular on the road... ah, I know, a clincher-riding friend forgot a spare tube, so we put my tubular on his rim so he could ride (gingerly) home.:beer:

And that reminds me that I should really buy a new Tubi bag. After 7 years mine is starting to look shabby with rusting strap loops and some wear on the nylon straps.

pbarry
10-24-2017, 09:37 PM
Three pages and no one mentions your jersey pocket?
Pick one: I like the middle.

rustychisel
10-24-2017, 09:38 PM
Use a Binda toe strap (sorry, Spud, but a Campagnolo toe strap is acceptable for your Campy pedals but totally violates feng shui for under your saddle).

Proper.

joosttx
10-24-2017, 10:46 PM
Can you post the pics here too? I can never remember my login there and I just end up getting booted for 15 minutes.

No, thats too much work for me to do.

oldpotatoe
10-25-2017, 06:55 AM
Three pages and no one mentions your jersey pocket?
Pick one: I like the middle.

Used to carry a wee pump...in my jersey...until I forgot it...and of course, I needed it...'probably' won't forget the bike(with the tire attached to it)...:)

Plus these days..cold start, warm finish(44 to 72 degrees the other day)..I need all the rear pocket space I can get for clothes I take off.

OBTW-pbarry..went over to Gunsport..nice people, nice shop, good prices..actually bought somethin'...

redir
10-25-2017, 08:59 AM
I used to just tie mine off to the saddle rails but I think having a cover is a good idea. After months of riding when you need the spare tubular it will be all sandy and nasty from road grit. Put it in a bag of some sort and it protects it.