PDA

View Full Version : Clean your hands after using Citi Bike

fiamme red
10-23-2017, 07:50 PM
No, I don't read Men's Health, I just saw this article linked on a local website. ;)

https://www.menshealth.com/health/most-germ-covered-surfaces-new-york-city-gross

In an episode of Gross from Men's Health, editor-in-chief Matt Bean used a handheld germ counter to swab a number of surfaces in New York City, including a Starbucks door handle, a taxicab handle, a door knob at Grand Central Terminal, and a city-sponsored Internet kiosk. The device ranks how germy the surface of an item is, depending on the bacteria and biological material it finds. The lower the rating, the fewer germs it has. If something gets a rating of 50, it shouldn’t touch your food.

So what did Bean find? Germs. Lots of them.

The title for the grossest public object in New York City goes to Citi Bikes. Turns out, the handlebars on these communal bikes are less hygienic than the hold bars on subway trains—45 times germier to be exact.

“These things are consistently among the most disgusting surfaces that we’ve tested in all of New York City,” Men’s Health editor-in-chief Matt Bean says...:eek:

pdonk
10-23-2017, 08:09 PM
I would post the pic of world naked bike day on bike share bikes but it's not safe for work. Does not surprise me.

djg21
10-23-2017, 09:28 PM
Just gross me out.

http://wjla.com/news/health/germs-on-touch-screens-atms-airport-kiosks-others-put-to-the-test-72436

chiasticon
10-23-2017, 10:05 PM
is just because people sweat while using them and don't think to clean their hands...? or is something else filthy going on with them that we don't want to know about?

wonder how dirty our own bikes are...

deechee
10-24-2017, 08:25 AM
That's why I wear gloves.

smontanaro
10-24-2017, 08:32 AM
I use DIVVY here in Chicago. When I arrive at home or the office, I make a beeline for the bathroom. Not sure why anything more than common sense is necessary to tell you that a shared appliance like a bike share bike is going to be filthy.

benb
10-24-2017, 09:11 AM
Kind of surprising actually since they sit out in the sun... I was always under the impression a lot of viruses/bacteria didn't do so well sitting out in the sun under relatively dry conditions.

93KgBike
10-24-2017, 09:43 AM
There are bacteria that not only sit out in the sun, they do that within the active caldera of volcanos; and they thrive. Imagine if they had the nutrient rich body-slime of hordes of primates to feed on.