PDA

View Full Version : Cassette Question

mnoble485
10-23-2017, 02:04 PM
One of my little pleasures when riding was to look at my rear wheel with silver White Industry hubs and a silver and clean cassette. I recently swapped out my old 9 speed Dura Ace for 9000 and installed an Ultegra cassette. The spacers between the cogs are black! Oh the horror! I’ve searched for something like my old 9 speed cassette but haven’t found anything. Not the end of the world but...

Mike

pcxmbfj
10-23-2017, 03:16 PM
You should be able to buy aftermarket aluminum spacers.
Separate your current cassette by drilling pins holding cogs together.

VTR1000SP2
10-23-2017, 03:24 PM
Get a sram XG1190 cassette.

macaroon
10-24-2017, 02:36 AM
Caustic soda will remove the black anodizing from your current spacers.....

10-24-2017, 10:11 AM
If you're going to clean them off with caustic soda, I'd just say to get the rattle can out.

Have you considered that you might be slightly OCD? Have you taken a silver Sharpie to the treads on your tires yet? Bleached your hair silver yet? Found silver Lycra? Well, I guess I answered my own question -- clearly not OCD.

Black Dog
10-24-2017, 11:35 AM
Caustic soda will remove the black anodizing from your current spacers.....

Oven cleaner works too. Or just get some sandpaper out.

djdj
10-24-2017, 12:05 PM
One of my little pleasures when riding was to look at my rear wheel with silver White Industry hubs and a silver and clean cassette. I recently swapped out my old 9 speed Dura Ace for 9000 and installed an Ultegra cassette. The spacers between the cogs are black! Oh the horror! I’ve searched for something like my old 9 speed cassette but haven’t found anything. Not the end of the world but...

Mike

Look forward, my friend.

cachagua
10-24-2017, 04:24 PM
Have you considered that you might be slightly OCD? Have you taken a silver Sharpie to the treads on your tires yet?

No, haven't done that, but I have taken fingernail clippers to the little nubblies that poke out all over them like a grown-out crewcut.

To come back to the original point though -- second on the rattlecan. I have often thought of doing this. And consider other colors -- match your handlebar tape, your outfit, your mood.

mnoble485
10-24-2017, 05:42 PM
If you're going to clean them off with caustic soda, I'd just say to get the rattle can out.

Have you considered that you might be slightly OCD? Have you taken a silver Sharpie to the treads on your tires yet? Bleached your hair silver yet? Found silver Lycra? Well, I guess I answered my own question -- clearly not OCD.

Thanks for the laugh. What hair remains is already silver! Not really a matchy match kind of guy although ...

Mike