PDA

View Full Version : Tool Mystery

Hindmost
10-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Any ideas what Alberto Masi is holding here?

EricEstlund
10-21-2017, 10:59 AM
That's just a double ended hook spanner.

2metalhips
10-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Old school threaded bb lockring spanner.

lhuerta
10-21-2017, 11:47 AM
Old school threaded bb lockring spanner.

Close, but actually not a BB tool. Note that there are no tips on the edge of hook with which to grab BB lock ring.

This tool is actually an old-school cog remover. The half moon hooks actually have grooves inside that engage with cog teeth allowing you to remove cogs from old freewheels and also track cogs.

Here is pic where you can see the inner grooves...

ultraman6970
10-21-2017, 01:30 PM
I was going to point that... I believe hozan still makes one like that.

Hindmost
10-21-2017, 05:29 PM
Thanks guys, especially for the description and illustration otherwise I don't think I would have understood. All these years and I have never seen one.

Shoot, now I have to get one.

alancw3
10-22-2017, 06:19 AM
thanks for sharing.

euro
10-23-2017, 01:21 AM
Either I’m old or some people are very young. I use this tool to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alancw3
10-23-2017, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=euro;2251123]Either I’m old or some people are very young. I use this tool to this day.

i don't know if you are old or not. i am a 70 and this is the type of tool i always used to remove cogs:

Tickdoc
10-23-2017, 11:02 AM
I thought it was a "get back to work you lazy...." tool.

Mark McM
10-23-2017, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=euro;2251123]Either I’m old or some people are very young. I use this tool to this day.

i don't know if you are old or not. i am a 70 and this is the type of tool i always used to remove cogs:

That tool is for removing the freewheel from the hub. The tool being discussed is for removing the sprockets from the freewheel.

(And just to be pedantic, you shouldn't confuse 'cog' with 'sprocket'. A cog is an individual intermeshing tooth; an entire wheel of cogs is a cogwheel, or sprocket.)

10-23-2017, 11:18 AM

Actually, this tool is for removing a cassette from a hub. There were freewheels with splined removers and many with two-prong removers. This looks like a cassette remover.

The wrench shown in his hand can be used both for removing individual threaded (not splined) cogs from a freewheel (cassettes typically don't have threaded cogs) and also for removing track cogs from a track wheel. A chain whip can do the same with less risk of damage to the cog.

And on the track, track cogs are frequently and legitimately referred to as sprockets. I suspect the use of the word "sprocket" has more to do with nationality -- especially British -- than any difference in how it's applied.

Tony T
10-23-2017, 12:02 PM

…not when you were 30 ;)

msngr
10-23-2017, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys, especially for the description and illustration otherwise I don't think I would have understood. All these years and I have never seen one.

Shoot, now I have to get one.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

fogrider
10-23-2017, 10:13 PM

this still requires a chain whip. with the spanner, no whip is required. spanners are much more the norm at the track.

bikinchris
10-24-2017, 06:25 AM
No, that tool is for removing track cogs from a hub or individual freewheel cogs from a freewheel being held by a freewheel vice.

10-24-2017, 10:18 AM
This is a weird thread.

One needs to grab a cog in three situations:

1. To immobilize a cassette while using a separate cassette lockring tool.
2. To remove individual cogs on a freewheel.
3. To remove track cogs.

You can do any of those three functions with either a tool like this or with a chain whip. I have both. I prefer the chain whip in all instances because it doesn't load one tooth preferentially and doesn't risk gouging a tooth. There are a couple fancy tools made for track use that are similar to this one, but most people just use chain whips because they don't damage the cogs. The tool under discussion here is more of an old-school tool that I don't see used as much any longer for all these reasons.