PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dremel alternatives?

batman1425
10-20-2017, 12:27 PM
I had a variable speed dremel for almost 20 years - got as a gift from my grandfather when I was kid. Last year it gave up the ghost. I have since replaced it with the equivalent current model, but have trashed 2 of them in that span. The problem is the location and shape of of the chuck lock button. My old one had a pronounced pontoon/pod base with a big silver button that was impossible to press inadvertently. The new variable speed ones, the button is more flush mounted and it is easy to slip and press it while in use when wearing gloves. If you press it while the bit is spinning, it grinds the lock pins off in a few seconds and the tool is trashed.

They still make the old chassis with the big lock button, which I like, but not with the variable speed, which I also want. Any other options out there that I'm not considering?

jmoore
10-20-2017, 04:17 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=211414&highlight=dremel

m_sasso
10-20-2017, 04:34 PM
Purchase the old style, non variable speed and go to the local Sally Ann and get yourself an old used electric variable speed sewing machine foot pedal. Plug in and Wah-wah to your hearts content.

cmbicycles
10-20-2017, 04:55 PM
Fix the old one perhaps? I have replaced brushes and a couple internal small $ parts on a craftsman dremel over the last 20 years, parts are still available for most of it.

mmfs
10-21-2017, 08:09 AM
Get this one for $20 and buy a new one if/when in breaks:

WEN 2305 Rotary Tool Kit with Flex Shaft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYRFH8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BB06zbJ3J39PK

wildboar
10-21-2017, 10:56 AM
I had a variable speed dremel for almost 20 years - got as a gift from my grandfather when I was kid. Last year it gave up the ghost. I have since replaced it with the equivalent current model, but have trashed 2 of them in that span. The problem is the location and shape of of the chuck lock button. My old one had a pronounced pontoon/pod base with a big silver button that was impossible to press inadvertently. The new variable speed ones, the button is more flush mounted and it is easy to slip and press it while in use when wearing gloves. If you press it while the bit is spinning, it grinds the lock pins off in a few seconds and the tool is trashed.

They still make the old chassis with the big lock button, which I like, but not with the variable speed, which I also want. Any other options out there that I'm not considering?This is the good one:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F32 2830187619

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

batman1425
10-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Fix the old one perhaps? I have replaced brushes and a couple internal small $ parts on a craftsman dremel over the last 20 years, parts are still available for most of it.

Replaced all the consumables - brushes, springs, etc. No joy. Old one is toast.

10-21-2017, 12:14 PM
If you really use one a lot, consider a Foredom instead. It's the professional jewelrymaker's version.

Also, you can get small pneumatic tools that do the same and give incredible torque and rpm. You don't want to use the light-duty Dremel bits on them because they'll be vastly underrated for the tool, but you can at that point use small machine lathe bits, carbide tips, all kinds of other tips. The small tools don't use a lot of air so you can usually get by with a reasonably small compressor.

There are also specialty electric grinders, both larger tool and die grinders and also miniature ones that use 1/8" or 1/16" shafts in a precision collet.

Depending on just what you're doing, you may also like the compact electric routers available today. These started as edging tools for kitchen laminate installation, and now have all kinds of uses and all kinds of accessories. They are typically $100 or less and have a lot of torque and rpm plus variable speed, so you can do all kinds of interesting things with them.

In short, lots of options. Don't restrict your thinking to Dremel.