PDA

View Full Version : Second defective Cateye...

catulle
09-16-2006, 01:51 PM
They don't make them like they used to, and a few other similar cliches. In the past nine months or so I've had two new defective HR2000W Cateye computers. The problem is the same. They don't turn off and the batteries die out in a couple of weeks. By the way, the only way to turn them off is by letting them turn off automatically.

I have two other much older non-wireless heart-rate monitor computers from Cateye on my other bicycles and they seem to be bullet-proof. They new model not only won't turn off, but it also has shiny silver plates on its top surface which are mp at noon. They reflect the sun something fierce and if you are not careful it can really hurt your sight.

I've already written the Cateye people who the last time around were very nice about the whole thing, and I hope they'll fix the problem (because the last thing I want is a Polar).

Jason E
09-16-2006, 02:31 PM
This may sound silly, but I've seen it, otherwise I would not believe it.....

Are you parking your bike near a power source? Like a fuse box or Power lines (no not really) but something put's out a lot?

I've seen where they stay on in these situations and it is akin to riding near power lines.

Just something to think about.

stevep
09-16-2006, 02:47 PM
get a sigma.
cheap, good.

Ahneida Ride
09-16-2006, 02:52 PM
My sigma just went kaput.

stevep
09-16-2006, 02:57 PM
needs a battery?

catulle
09-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This may sound silly, but I've seen it, otherwise I would not believe it.....

Are you parking your bike near a power source? Like a fuse box or Power lines (no not really) but something put's out a lot?

I've seen where they stay on in these situations and it is akin to riding near power lines.

Just something to think about.

I just put some new batteries in it, so I'll take the computer off the bike and make sure I place it away from anything. Maybe Scarlett is messing with it and juices it up, atmo. :eek:

bironi
09-16-2006, 05:45 PM
get a sigma.
cheap, good.
+1
even though I no longer use a computer. :beer:

stevep
09-16-2006, 06:25 PM
They don't make them like they used to, and a few other similar cliches. In the past nine months or so I've had two new defective HR2000W Cateye computers. The problem is the same. They don't turn off and the batteries die out in a couple of weeks. By the way, the only way to turn them off is by letting them turn off automatically.

I have two other much older non-wireless heart-rate monitor computers from Cateye on my other bicycles and they seem to be bullet-proof. They new model not only won't turn off, but it also has shiny silver plates on its top surface which are mp at noon. They reflect the sun something fierce and if you are not careful it can really hurt your sight.

I've already written the Cateye people who the last time around were very nice about the whole thing, and I hope they'll fix the problem (because the last thing I want is a Polar).

this year i think cat eye moved their manufacturing from japan to china.
it will take them awhile to sort out the qc issues. this is for the cyclocomputers..dotn know about the hr monitors...read the box and see for yourself.

obtuse
09-16-2006, 06:59 PM
but something put's out a lot?

let me know. i'll park right there.

obtuse

Bud
09-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Want me to go down and rough up that PO box here in Boulder?

catulle
09-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Want me to go down and rough up that PO box here in Boulder?

:D No, thanks, Bud. I'll send her...