PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Meivici Maiden Voyage

Satellite
10-17-2017, 11:53 PM
Today was my true maiden voyage with the Meivici. I bought the frame on 1 Sept 2016 this project has taken over a year to build out. I bought everything from Paceline Members with exception of the saddle, water bottle cages, tyres and seat bag. I actually want to change out the saddle and cages. I am looking for the older twin flex Aliante Ti in black and some black oil slick Arundel Mandibles (anyone holding I am game).

The Meivici definitely didn't disappoint. The frame disappeared underneath me and rode sublime. It been some where around a month without riding busy with work and family. I actually averaged 15.0 mph today on the Meivici. It's pretty hilly where I ride and I typically average 12/12.5mph. So 15mph was killing it for me. I forgot how well the ENVE's hold speed.

Thanks to all the Paceline members that helped me pull this one together. It took over a year but patients paid off.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=2035424#post2035424

This thread is useless without photos so I snapped this quick pic while I was waiting for my buddy to catch up. LOL! usually its the other way around.

Lanternrouge
10-17-2017, 11:56 PM
That's some beautiful color on the bike.

Louis
10-17-2017, 11:58 PM
Congratulations :)

But I have to wonder, did you consider white bar tape? I think that might look even better.

Enjoy the ride.

Clean39T
10-17-2017, 11:58 PM
+1 on the white tape, but that's a hawt Serotta you got there for sure - nice!

Satellite
10-18-2017, 12:04 AM
Congratulations :)

But I have to wonder, did you consider white bar tape? I think that might look even better.

Enjoy the ride.

The black tape is Handlebra the base tape is White Merckx rubberized tape. Does that count? I used to like White Bar Tape but it just gets too dirty.

I am NOT keeping the white WTB Saddle it's temporary until I find the right Black Aliante. The WTB is a comfy saddle a bit heavy but I am an Aliante guy. If I was going to keep the White Saddle I definitely think white bar tape would have been money. :banana:

weisan
10-18-2017, 06:05 AM
Serotta made great bikes!

I was quickly reminded of that again yesterday when I rode on my steel Serotta CXII after giving it the cold shoulder for almost a month riding on the other Giant bike. It is so so so so SMOOOOOTH and comfortable, and yes! that sometimes translates into a higher average speed.

Enjoy and don't give it up.

paredown
10-18-2017, 07:40 AM
Glad the shakedown ride was a success, and it is wonderful to know that the Meivici lived up to your expectations.

I love that color--is it Big Boy Blue, or a different shade?

Kingfisher
10-18-2017, 07:52 AM
Beautiful setup and bike
Specifics on wheels please...tubular or clincher and tires?

Mzilliox
10-18-2017, 08:04 AM
radical, lovely bike

Satellite
10-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Glad the shakedown ride was a success, and it is wonderful to know that the Meivici lived up to your expectations.

I love that color--is it Big Boy Blue, or a different shade?

Uncertain what color it is. I can tell you pictures don't do it justice
Paint isn't as pristine as I would like it has a few chips and scratches I was on the fence sending it to Billy MacDonald for a respray. I like the bike so much I wish I would have now.

That's what started this project. I had a C50 restored and bought this bike as a temporary hold over. The C50 is a great bike but something about the Meivici sets it apart in an amazing way.

If anyone can confirm if this is a standard Serotta color I would appreciate it. For now I will call it "Big Boy Blue".

Satellite
10-18-2017, 09:08 AM
Beautiful setup and bike
Specifics on wheels please...tubular or clincher and tires?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1766546#post1766546

Tubulars, the clowns at FedEx paid ENVE for a crash replacement to the rear wheel. The front wheel is the EDGE Classic 45 and the Rear is the ENVE 4.5 SES with new brake track. ENVE sent me new decals for free so I could match the front wheel to the rear. Kinda wished I would have spec'd white decals instead of black.

I would like to find some ENVE 2.2 with new brake tracks for the Meivici an move this wheelset back to the C50. I will keep on eye out this winter for some.

54ny77
10-18-2017, 09:58 AM
sharp!

paceline classifieds make for a really nice thrift shop!

;)

by the way was this the project you needed a 7900 crank for? the d.a. crank on there now looks terrific. :cool:

Satellite
10-18-2017, 10:52 AM
sharp!

paceline classifieds make for a really nice thrift shop!

;)

by the way was this the project you needed a 7900 crank for? the d.a. crank on there now looks terrific. :cool:

No that was on the C50 I did finally did source a 7900 crank. I mostly built the C50 from the Forum too. I bought the C50 complete but decided I hated Campy. The frame had to be sent to Calfee for new stops and chainstay repair. I have a ton of money in that bike with 7900 Group, Calfee and repaint. It turned out sweet too. I should start a thread on it.

I actually like the look of the 7900 crank better than the 9000.

mavic1010
10-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Glad you finally got it built up! Its such an awesome bike. Not the lightest, but just so well balanced and lively. Especially with the 8.5/10.5 tubing.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm thinner, more flexible and needed a lower stack and longer reach, I would've never sold it. I'm sure a 13cm -17 degree slammed stem would've made the "Jerk" proud, I've opted to just move on.

Enjoy the ride!

Satellite
10-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Glad you finally got it built up! Its such an awesome bike. Not the lightest, but just so well balanced and lively. Especially with the 8.5/10.5 tubing.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm thinner, more flexible and needed a lower stack and longer reach, I would've never sold it. I'm sure a 13cm -17 degree slammed stem would've made the "Jerk" proud, I've opted to just move on.

Enjoy the ride!

Mavic1010,

Yeah I was telling my buddy the bars need to go down a little. I have one 5mm spacer under the stem. Hopefully that's enough to put me where I want to be. I would hate to move away from the ENVE Stem.

Do you still have the original Aliante Saddle pictured in your build? That is exactly what I am looking for. I have a silver one and I will use it if I have to I just think Black would look better. I wanted to try the WTB it came on a Mountain Bike I bought a long time ago from Craigslist. I should have just bought the Meivici complete from you we pretty much have the same build.

I hope your new ride is everything you wanted.

Satellite

mavic1010
10-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Sorry, once I went to the Fizik Antares, I sold off all my aliente's....

As for the new ride...well my Carbon ride is a Cannondale Supersix Evo Black Inc. with SR11

Here are some Q&As..

Is it nice and light?
A: yes...

Does it go fast uphill

A: yes....

Does it handle well?
A: ....not as good as the meivici...

Do I ride it as often as the meivici?
A: No. Its only for rides where I went to get KOMs or PRs. I actually ride my 3 lbs heavier Serotta Pronto ALOT more. The Black Inc., just sits except for a couple of months out of the year.

Conclusion: The meivici is a great bike...and if I wanted an all around performing bike...this would be it!

572cv
10-18-2017, 01:45 PM
Nice to see a Meivici bringing smiles. Mine does so for me, but your paint and set up look pretty great, causing mevicious envy.... sometime maybe I will have the marginal clear coat replaced or redone.

Enjoy the ride!

ojingoh
10-18-2017, 03:01 PM
Nice whip, needs white bar tape.

I tend to think of cars and Strats when I see metal flake colors, your bike looks like Lake Placid Blue, which is a 60s Ford color too. Seriously, it's a beautiful bike!

Satellite
10-18-2017, 11:12 PM
Well it wasn't a fluke I rode today and increased my average by .2 mph. I rode at 15.2 mph and I had tired legs from yesterday.

Loving the Meivici!

happycampyer
10-19-2017, 07:11 AM
Not sure that I'm any faster on my MeiVici, but the ride is sublime. Rock solid, quiet, precise handling and smooth. The vision for the MeiVici was for it to ride as nicely as a Serotta steel bike (CSi, etc.), but with more "snap" and to be a lot lighter. When the stiffness, geometry, etc. are properly matched to the rider, it's something special. Glad yours worked out—like buying any custom bike secondhand (which is all one can do now with the MeiVicis), it's a bit of a crapshoot.

victoryfactory
10-19-2017, 08:30 AM
I'm faster just looking at it!

VF

Satellite
10-20-2017, 01:22 AM
I'm faster just looking at it!

VF

LOL that's funny. Yeah maybe a stretch to think I am actually faster due to the new bike.

m4rk540
10-20-2017, 01:58 AM
Sorry, once I went to the Fizik Antares, I sold off all my aliente's....

As for the new ride...well my Carbon ride is a Cannondale Supersix Evo Black Inc. with SR11

Here are some Q&As..

Is it nice and light?
A: yes...

Does it go fast uphill

A: yes....

Does it handle well?
A: ....not as good as the meivici...

!

And, yet, many who have the watts and bike handling skills consider the Cannondale one of the best handling bikes ever produced. But these are guys who make the bike go uphill instead of thinking that half a pound will make any difference.

Placebos are an interesting thing.

Satellite
10-22-2017, 09:54 PM
I have never really weighted any of my bikes but the Meivici had me courious.

Serotta Meivici = 15.7lbs
Colnago C50 = 17.4lbs
Moots VaMoots SL = 18.0lbs

These weights are completely ridable with pedals and water bottle cages.

I have a pretty heavy saddle on the Meivici I think the Fizik Aliante will drop it down to 15.5lbs. The irony here is the rider could stand to lose 90lbs.

Climb01742
10-23-2017, 12:20 PM
When the stiffness, geometry, etc. are properly matched to the rider, it's something special. Glad yours worked out—like buying any custom bike secondhand (which is all one can do now with the MeiVicis), it's a bit of a crapshoot.

That was also incredibly true when buying Legends second-hand. Some of them were built with off-the-chart stiffness, which many times you only discovered once you owned it. It did, however, highlight what magic Serotta could work with various tubes.

Matthew
10-23-2017, 03:24 PM
Your Meivici is stellar. Love mine too. That does look like Big Boy Blue. Just a beautiful color for sure. Glad you are happy with yours too. I sometimes think of putting mine in the classifieds, then I come to my senses!! Ride the heck out of it!!

Satellite
04-14-2018, 04:24 PM
It took some doing but I have finally built the Meivici as I envisioned when this whole crazy idea was formulated in my head.

From the first image:
I now have Handlebra on the bars.
Swapped the Cages out to Arundel Mandibles
Finally found the original Fizik Aliante in Black.
Switched the ENVE SES4.5's to SES2.2.

If I could do it all over I never would have bought the C50 and I would of sent the Meivici to Bill McDonald to have it painted with the design I did on the C50. I would also use Black Cable housing instead of Gray.

Big Boy Blue looks good but I think it would look better with something more broken up like the C50 the solid color is just a solid color. The Meivici also had a lot of decals deleted I would have left; the "Custom SE Tubing" Decal on the Seattube, "S,s" on the seat stays and the fork identifier "F3 8.5". I would also like the Metal Headbadge vs the "S" Decal. I am sure none of this will ever happen because most of all I am lazy. The above wish list would take some sort of effort on my part.

The ride is sublime especially with the 27mm tubular tyres I never thought were going to fit.

soulspinner
04-14-2018, 04:59 PM
Another great Serotta :hello:

OtayBW
04-14-2018, 05:29 PM
It took some doing but I have finally built the Meivici as I envisioned when this whole crazy idea was formulated in my head.

From the first image:
I now have Handlebra on the bars.
Swapped the Cages out to Arundel Mandibles
Finally found the original Fizik Aliante in Black.
Switched the ENVE SES4.5's to SES2.2.

If I could do it all over I never would have bought the C50 and I would of sent the Meivici to Bill McDonald to have it painted with the design I did on the C50. I would also use Black Cable housing instead of Gray.

Big Boy Blue looks good but I think it would look better with something more broken up like the C50 the solid color is just a solid color. The Meivici also had a lot of decals deleted I would have left; the "Custom SE Tubing" Decal on the Seattube, "S,s" on the seat stays and the fork identifier "F3 8.5". I would also like the Metal Headbadge vs the "S" Decal. I am sure none of this will ever happen because most of all I am lazy. The above wish list would take some sort of effort on my part.

The ride is sublime especially with the 27mm tubular tyres I never thought were going to fit.
Beautiful bike. You want to hear some constructive criticism? OK - nevermind.

For my taste, I would stick a 1 cm carbon spacer under the stem and then rotate your bars downward (ramps not ascending) a bit to get the drop you need. Nice job, though. Carry on....
Nevermind: no room...

Satellite
04-14-2018, 08:17 PM
Beautiful bike. You want to hear some constructive criticism? OK - nevermind.

For my taste, I would stick a 1 cm carbon spacer under the stem and then rotate your bars downward (ramps not ascending) a bit to get the drop you need. Nice job, though. Carry on....
Nevermind: no room...
I don't mind criticism. I wouldn't post on a public forum if I couldn't handle a bit of criticism.

I initially rode with the bars rotated further down but I found myself slipping down the hoods. I probably need to pull both layers of tape off and move the levers further up the bars. It was just easier to rotate the bars and as mentioned previously I am lazy.

93svt96
04-14-2018, 10:00 PM
Beautiful Serotta!!

s4life
08-28-2018, 07:11 PM
Meivicis are so amazing to ride, pair them with a nice set of hyperons on vittoria corsa 25s and they are faster and smoother than any modern steel bike.