PDA

View Full Version : Which Reliable Tubular Tire Would You Recommend?

sipmeister
10-17-2017, 10:51 AM
I've rolled on clinchers 99.92% of the time. Been using Conti GP4000s for that with good success.

Have wanted to try tubulars for several years, so I finally bought an aluminum tubular wheelset. Already have a jar of Vittoria Mastik One. Will be riding strictly on the road (chip seal and cracks galore). I'll probably put some sealant (gasp) in the tires just for peace of mind.

What are your riding with great success? Won't be racing this wheelset. I just want something that's durable, affordable and reliable.

El Chaba
10-17-2017, 11:10 AM
Veloflex. Choose your model based on width and sidewall color desired, and you can't go wrong. The king of tubulars.

lhuerta
10-17-2017, 11:10 AM
This has been discussed MANY times on multiple threads....use search, open favorite beverage and have fun reading. Regardless, I'll play....

Durability, cost effectiveness, = Vitt Corsa Elites, 25mm, 290tpi, butyl tube

Durability, supple, puncture resistant = Vitt Pave, 25 or 27mm, 320tpi, latex

Supple, puncture resistant = Vitt Corsa Graphene, 25 or 28mm, 320 tpi, latex

No pre-treatment with sealant.....use it when u need it. I use Bontrager sealant....best stuff for big cuts.

oldpotatoe
10-17-2017, 11:17 AM
I've rolled on clinchers 99.92% of the time. Been using Conti GP4000s for that with good success.

Have wanted to try tubulars for several years, so I finally bought an aluminum tubular wheelset. Already have a jar of Vittoria Mastik One. Will be riding strictly on the road (chip seal and cracks galore). I'll probably put some sealant (gasp) in the tires just for peace of mind.

What are your riding with great success? Won't be racing this wheelset. I just want something that's durable, affordable and reliable.

Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25mm. Best combo of weight, comfort, durability and $. About $33 or so from UK(about $65-$70msrp)..290 tpi, butyl tube. Veloflex are keen but not worth the $, certainly not 2-3 times more better. IMHO

FlashUNC
10-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Vittoria Corsa Graphenes. Just mounted a set this weekend.

Great tires.

sipmeister
10-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Thank you all for the condensed, concise advise. Apologize have started a new thread when others exist on this same topic. Appreciate your patience.

Looks like today Vittoria leads the way. Veloflex looks nice but is more than I want to spend at this point. Unless a sale is located.

FlashUNC
10-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Fwiw, had nothing but great success with Bike Tires Direct. Seem like good folks. (And a forum sponsor to boot.)

chiasticon
10-17-2017, 01:09 PM
veloflex are great. they're about $130/pair from the UK. cheaper if you have a coupon or there's a sale running and you can buy a handful at once.

IMHO, if you're not buying super nice tires, with handmade casing and latex tubes, there's no point in riding tubulars (for road, at least). if you're gonna do it, do it right.

oldpotatoe
10-17-2017, 02:11 PM
veloflex are great. they're about $130/pair from the UK. cheaper if you have a coupon or there's a sale running and you can buy a handful at once.

IMHO, if you're not buying super nice tires, with handmade casing and latex tubes, there's no point in riding tubulars (for road, at least). if you're gonna do it, do it right.

Ya might notice if you put the difference in price in pennies and rode with them and in your jersey pocket(3000 pennies)..any difference between a 25mm Vittoria Elite and 25mm Veloflex is teeny(if a real difference exists at all)...imho<<<—-

I sure can’t tell.....

AngryScientist
10-17-2017, 02:15 PM
i have had remarkably good service from vittoria tubular tires. they are a great choice.

StephenCL
10-17-2017, 03:17 PM
If you are gluing Vittoria Elites or Pave's.

If you are taping Veloflex all the way, Vittoria's have latex on the base tape so taping is a no go.

Stephen

azrider
10-17-2017, 03:21 PM
I just want something that's durable, affordable and reliable.

Then stick with clinchers

https://us.123rf.com/450wm/citalliance/citalliance1103/citalliance110300040/9024450-businessman-ducking-in-fear-and-closing-ears-with-fingers-isolated-on-white.jpg?ver=6

StephenCL
10-17-2017, 03:24 PM
AZRider,

That was brave....

Actually probikekit has Veloflex on big sale right now, and if you buy 4 you get an additional 10% off...

Just ordered 6 roubaix's for $360 including shipping...

It is a really tough tire to beat at $60 a piece...

Stephen

teleguy57
10-17-2017, 03:43 PM
This has been discussed MANY times on multiple threads....use search, open favorite beverage and have fun reading. Regardless, I'll play....

Durability, cost effectiveness, = Vitt Corsa Elites, 25mm, 290tpi, butyl tube

Durability, supple, puncture resistant = Vitt Pave, 25 or 27mm, 320tpi, latex

Supple, puncture resistant = Vitt Corsa Graphene, 25 or 28mm, 320 tpi, latex

No pre-treatment with sealant.....use it when u need it. I use Bontrager sealant....best stuff for big cuts.

Since Vittoria Paves no longer exist (2017 "replacement" was the Corsa G, but I see for 2018 there's now a Corsa Control which is promoted for the same conditions as the prev Paves) likely not an option for most. When I rode the Paves I really couldn't feel much improvement over the Elites.

Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25mm. Best combo of weight, comfort, durability and $. About $33 or so from UK(about $65-$70msrp)..290 tpi, butyl tube. Veloflex are keen but not worth the $, certainly not 2-3 times more better. IMHO

I'm on Corsa Elite 25s most of the time on my Shamals. I have 25 mm Corsa SCs (predecessors to the Corsa G) and I think I get 90% of the ride quality from the Elites with half the cost.

I wasn't all that enamoured of the Veloflex Roubaixs I tried compared to the Vittorias. I do have some 27mm VFlex Vlaanderens hanging in the basement since last fall, but haven't ridden enough this season to need to replace tires glued onto my Shamals or Bontrager D3 35mm rims.

Vientomas
10-17-2017, 05:44 PM
If you are gluing Vittoria Elites or Pave's.

If you are taping Veloflex all the way, Vittoria's have latex on the base tape so taping is a no go.

Stephen

This is of interest to me as I intend to tape up a pair of Vittoria's this winter. Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

The following is from the Carogna website:

Andy Robertson
Is it necessary to scrape the latex off the basetape of a Vittoria Corsa CX tubular prior to using Carogna? Does scraping the latex from the basetape provide better adhesion?

Alberto De Gioannini
Hello Andy, you don’t need to scrape the latex off the basetape of Vittoria tubulars. Just degrease them perfectly using mineral spirits and Carogna will hold perfectly for road riding purposes.
For cyclocross, however, because of the much lower inflating pressures, it’s better to apply Eau de Carogna primer on the tubular basetape, upon cleaning it: this will enhance adhesion with our Carogna tape.

sipmeister
10-17-2017, 06:21 PM
AZRider,

That was brave....

Actually probikekit has Veloflex on big sale right now, and if you buy 4 you get an additional 10% off...

Just ordered 6 roubaix's for $360 including shipping...

It is a really tough tire to beat at $60 a piece...

Stephen

Stephen- I like ProBikeKit, (can be) good prices and stuff arrives quickly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Continental tubulars. I have heard they are pain to install.

Seriously considering getting the Vittorias. Price doesn't matter too much as long as its a reliable tire. Obviously won't go for the top tier when I'm just starting on this journey in tubs. Again, thanks to all that gave relevant advice.

BigDaddySmooth
10-17-2017, 06:46 PM
I mounted a Veloflex Criterium on a front wheel a decade ago and it still has some tread left but the names are fading. It's a sweet tire. The rear lasted about 4 years. I've tried Conti sprinter, various Tufo's, Vittoria Corsa and Roubaix and recently Michelin Pro, which suck because the sidewall is separating from the tread. Sprinters and Tufos are industrial and durable. Tufos have no inner tube and the sealant works well. When I lived in UT, goathead thorns hated me and I flatted a lot so I went with cheaper tires back then.

FlashUNC
10-17-2017, 07:02 PM
Stephen- I like ProBikeKit, (can be) good prices and stuff arrives quickly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Continental tubulars. I have heard they are pain to install.

Seriously considering getting the Vittorias. Price doesn't matter too much as long as its a reliable tire. Obviously won't go for the top tier when I'm just starting on this journey in tubs. Again, thanks to all that gave relevant advice.

Continentals are a nightmare to install.

etu
10-17-2017, 07:23 PM
As a recent convert to tubulars, I'd second vittoria elites as great, reliable tires that are easy to install.

saab2000
10-17-2017, 07:47 PM
Veloflex. Choose your model based on width and sidewall color desired, and you can't go wrong. The king of tubulars.

This is my answer as well. I've been using Veloflex and before that the original Italian Vittoria (what became Veloflex) since the 1980s. They cannot be beaten for ride quality, and in my experience, durability and reliability.

They are, quite simply, the best product of its type available in my opinion.

That said, I'm going to say something that will make all tubular lovers cringe - wide clincher rims (20+mm internal) and 23mm clinchers pumped to about 75-80 PSI are close enough to the tubular ride and handling quality that I no longer pick a bike based on tire preference. They're very nearly equal. That is my personal experience.

But if you're going to go tubular, go Veloflex and certainly no "lower" than Vittoria, which are also nice but I've had much less reliability with the Thailand-manufactured Vittoria over the years than I have with Veloflex. I don't know why, but that again is my personal experience. I've ridden many a Veloflex down to the threads but Vittorias I've owned seem to flat for some mysterious reason long before they're worn out. Often I don't find a puncture. They just won't hold air.

sipmeister
10-17-2017, 09:56 PM
Quote from saab2000:

That said, I'm going to say something that will make all tubular lovers cringe - wide clincher rims (20+mm internal) and 23mm clinchers pumped to about 75-80 PSI are close enough to the tubular ride and handling quality that I no longer pick a bike based on tire preference. They're very nearly equal. That is my personal experience.

saab2000- That is interesting you mention that. Summer of '16 I purchased a barely used set of HED Ardennes Black. They are 25mm wide clincher rims and I'm using 23mm GP4K2S at 65-70 psi. Best ride quality of all my wheels right now. Back to Veloflex... 8 years ago I did ride for a weekend a carbon wheelset with Veloflex tubulars and all I remember of that experience was of how smooth the ride was. Don't know if it was the tubs or Veloflex, or both. Either way, thanks for the comparison.

smontanaro
10-18-2017, 06:18 AM
@saab2000 - Of course, if you have tubular rims, clinchers probably won't be an option. ;)

@sipmeister - You didn't mention it, but if you're planning to mount tubulars on a vintage bike, from a strictly aesthetic standpoint, you probably want tires with tan sidewalls. All black tires just don't look right.

Nobody mentioned Vittoria Rally. I have some in 25mm width on my Redcay. They are actually pretty nice, especially considering they were snot $20 each. Even if they weren't, they would make good spares.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wayne77
10-18-2017, 07:48 AM
Another vote for Corsa Elites. Best bang for the buck tubular out there by far. They ride really nice, and I've had no durability issues.

chiasticon
10-18-2017, 08:39 AM
any difference between a 25mm Vittoria Elite and 25mm Veloflex is teeny(if a real difference exists at all)...imho<<<—-

I sure can’t tell.....my answer to this is basically this:

But if you're going to go tubular, go Veloflex...OP you say Elite vs Veloflex is so close, it's not worth it. for me, the ride between clinchers with wide internal rims and low psi tires versus similarly low psi tubs is so close, it's not worth it. and the difference that's there, I attribute mainly to handmade tires with latex tubes for the tubulars, versus butyl tubes for the clinchers (which is why I say I'd choose Veloflex over the Elites).

anyway, NOT trying to fuel a tubs versus clinchers debate. tubs are great. just saying if you're gonna do it and you want that sublime ride quality, go all the way.

etu
10-18-2017, 08:46 AM
I think part of going all the way is using light carbon wheels. My justification for staying with tubulars.

gngroup
10-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Veloflex.

saab2000
10-18-2017, 10:17 AM
I think part of going all the way is using light carbon wheels. My justification for staying with tubulars.

I agree with this. There is substantial weight savings to be had with carbon tubulars and quality tubular tires. They're stiff too.

I have some ENVE 45 tubulars and they're crazy light and stiff. Veloflex shod of course.

kansukee
10-18-2017, 02:32 PM

^This. It's all I ride.

wildboar
10-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Corsa Elite, for 30 bucks you get a tire that equals the Conti Competition in flat resistance and almost the same rolling resistance as the Corsa G+

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/vittoria-corsa-elite-2017

tuscanyswe
10-18-2017, 03:23 PM
Id go with contis if i were you. They offer the best puncture resistance and lifespan imo. Dont buy giro (their budget model) as its no good but sprinters are pretty neat for the money imo. Competitions are even nicer but not worth the extra cash.

Another rather nice tire is the schwalbe one that can be had pretty cheap at times.

That said i mostly ride vittoria :)

TDot
10-18-2017, 06:21 PM
I have Vittoria Graphene on a set of FFWD carbon wheels on my racing bike which are buttery smooth and I taped them with Carogna tape, which I think is hugely under rated. I've got FMB tubs, again with Carogna tape, on a set of Ambrosio Nemesis that the great Stephen CL sold me a year ago and they are otherworldly. I run them at 80-90 psi. Top notch. Different feel when riding for each one, and equally enjoyable for different reasons. Speed and comfort with Vittoria Graphene; durability and hegemony with FMB.

This is of interest to me as I intend to tape up a pair of Vittoria's this winter. Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

The following is from the Carogna website:

Andy Robertson
Is it necessary to scrape the latex off the basetape of a Vittoria Corsa CX tubular prior to using Carogna? Does scraping the latex from the basetape provide better adhesion?

Alberto De Gioannini
Hello Andy, you don’t need to scrape the latex off the basetape of Vittoria tubulars. Just degrease them perfectly using mineral spirits and Carogna will hold perfectly for road riding purposes.
For cyclocross, however, because of the much lower inflating pressures, it’s better to apply Eau de Carogna primer on the tubular basetape, upon cleaning it: this will enhance adhesion with our Carogna tape.

markoprotic
10-18-2017, 09:39 PM
Za Dinamo,

Najizdraljivija ce ti biti Continental Gator 22 ili 25mm, krecu se oko $70. Ove godine sam poceo da koristim Vittoria Corsa 25-28 i one su mogu reci naudobnije i najbrzi tubular koji sam imao prilike da vozim (nisu bas izdrzljive ali su udobne).
Moja preporuka je Continental ili Vittoria.
Veliki pozdrav.

Od Crvena Zvezda !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KllvHi4BuWE

oldpotatoe
10-19-2017, 07:49 AM
Za Dinamo,

Najizdraljivija ce ti biti Continental Gator 22 ili 25mm, krecu se oko $70. Ove godine sam poceo da koristim Vittoria Corsa 25-28 i one su mogu reci naudobnije i najbrzi tubular koji sam imao prilike da vozim (nisu bas izdrzljive ali su udobne).
Veliki pozdrav.

Od Crvena Zvezda !!!

What he said!!:eek::help:;)

weisan
10-19-2017, 08:24 AM
Za Dinamo,

Veliki pozdrav.

Od Crvena Zvezda !!!

Please allow me to translate..

對於迪納摩來說,
最昂貴的將是Continental Gator 22或25mm,約70美元。今年我開始使用Vit toria Corsa 25-28,我可以說最不舒服和最快的管子有 機會騎(他們不耐用,但舒適)。
我的建議是大陸或維多利亞。
好問候
從紅星!!!

uber
10-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Continental GP 4000 S2 come only in 22mm and are tough to stretch on a wheel
but I have had good luck with them so far. I love the feel of FMB and Veloflex in
both 22 and 25 sizes, but they are hit or miss in my experience. I could get one to go 2000 miles, but I am almost as likely to flat in the first 200 miles.

sipmeister
10-20-2017, 10:00 AM
What he said!!:eek::help:;)

Marko noticed my avatar (the red and white checkers with the letter 'd'), which is the logo for the Croatian soccer club Dinamo Zagreb. So he wrote about his experience with Continental and Vittoria tubulars in Croatian, correctly assuming I would understand.

Somebody earlier in the post asked if I would be putting these tubulars on a vintage ride, and if so to use tan sidewall tires only. Tubulars will be mounted to a barely used 2010 HED Bastogne wheelset I purchased for $112.95. I don't see a lot of reviews for this wheelset, and the ones I do see aren't heaping praises on it. However, I've had nothing but good luck with HED (aluminum wheelsets only) so I'm hoping for a similar experience.