PDA

View Full Version : How safe is cycling?

gone
09-16-2006, 01:27 AM
During today's ride, I was thinking about this (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=21153) thread and it seemed to me there've been a number of these on the forum lately. Given we're a relatively small microcosm in a much larger community, I began wondering if our merry little band was experiencing such a high number of fatalities whether the situation was getting better or worse on a larger scale.

Anyways, I did some looking around and found this site (http://www.bicyclinginfo.org/bc/perspective.htm) which has some interesting info (it's actually getting better) so I thought I'd pass it along in case others are interested.

Serpico
09-16-2006, 07:43 AM
thanks for the link, it certainly puts things in perspective

mike p
09-16-2006, 08:52 AM
I know many more people hit and killed by cars than died of aids!

Mike

Grant McLean
09-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Most people die at home, so it's better to be out riding your bike,
so your house doesn't kill you.

g

alancw3
09-16-2006, 09:13 AM
if and when my time comes i couldn't think of a better way to go then pedaling my a** off and getting wiped out by a car. i have known to many people that sit in hospitals for a long time waiting to go. NOT what i hope for!!!

onekgguy
09-16-2006, 09:36 AM
I find it hard to believe that with the increase in celphone use we're also seeing a reduction in the number of cycling fatalities. I can't argue with the numbers but it isn't what I'd expect to see. I was in the left turn lane at an intersection a couple days ago waiting for the green arrow. A woman on a celphone was stopped for the light across from me. As soon as the light turned red for the cross traffic she proceeded through the intersection on the red as I was getting the green arrow...she was totally oblivious to what she'd done. I shook my head and pedaled off.

In Minnesota where I live they are continually paving new bike paths...not that I use them but it keeps the more inexperienced cyclists off the roads and I'm sure that helps to reduce the number of car/bike crashes.

Kevin