PDA

View Full Version : Change of seasons

David Kirk
09-15-2006, 08:59 PM
It's that time again. Wax them up!

Dave

..WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM MDT SATURDAY ABOVE 5000 FEET...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREAT FALLS HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM MDT SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE ABOVE 5000 FEET WITH LOCAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 FEET POSSIBLE OVER THE HIGHER MOUNTAINS. SNOW LEVELS THIS EVENING WILL LOWER FROM NEAR 6000 FEET TO NEAR THE VALLEY FLOORS AND PLAINS BY SATURDAY MORNING AND CONTINUE AT THOSE LEVELS THROUGH THE REST OF THE DAY SATURDAY. LOCAL GUSTY NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH BY LATE TONIGHT AND CONTINUING INTO SATURDAY COULD CAUSE LOCAL BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW THROUGH FAVORED PASSES AND CANYONS.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET... AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

TimB
09-15-2006, 09:19 PM
I am so jealous. Haven't been in a good blizzard since I left MN in 1991...

dauwhe
09-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Oh, how I wish I was out there. I used to live in Colorado, and there would almost always be a big snowstorm on Halloween, and I could xc ski the first week of November.

I have to say the cycling in New England is much better than in Colorado, but I pay the price in the winter...

Dave

Samster
09-15-2006, 09:24 PM
not me. hawaii sounds really good right about now.

tch
09-15-2006, 09:24 PM
I've been starting to get jazzed about snow -- thinking about skiing both xc and downhill. I got a new pair of DH boards that I'm waiting to try out and my xc skaters are waiting and ready.
But....there is no snow on our horizon for another two months, minimum....
Guess I'll have to keep riding.

Bud
09-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

The snow level here tomorrow night is supposed to creep down to 8500. I'm ready to get the tele boards out and tune them up, man!

Oh yea: dauwhe- the cycling in VT is better than in CO?? I know I'm geographically biased, but really. . .?

Karin Kirk
09-15-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm shopping for skis at this very moment!

dave thompson
09-15-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm off to Cabo. :cool:

Lincoln
09-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Supposed to get down to about 7,000' here tonight (which is just about the elevation of my back yard).

I could do without it for a bit still. It was damn hot this Summer and I would like some nice cool (but still shorts) weather. Ahh well, wishing and wanting isn't going to do a thing about mother nature! (And I'm sure we will get some nice weather again.)

dauwhe, there is some great riding in that neck of the woods. More small paved backroads than here in the rockies. That said, I would take the riding here over back there. Not to mention the weather (tonights potential snow included) is so much better here. I grew up in the Bennington area BTW.

Ken Robb
09-15-2006, 10:50 PM
I know what you mean--it barely broke 70F here today and it's supposed to get down to 62F tonight--I may close the windows--nah.

dave thompson
09-15-2006, 11:04 PM
I know what you mean--it barely broke 70F here today and it's supposed to get down to 62F tonight--I may close the windows--nah.
Bite me!

Tailwinds
09-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Tomorrow -- high of 65 and sunny. I'll be riding through the yellow aspen trees on the Peak-to-Peak Highway and Golden Gate Canyon. It is perfect Fall weather right now.

tbushnel
09-15-2006, 11:33 PM
not me. hawaii sounds really good right about now.

word

ted

davyt
09-16-2006, 03:40 AM
As much as I enjoy four different seasons, I'm enjoying this time of year here even more...

Forecast at a Glance (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.php?wfo=mtr&zone=caz514&fire=caz274&county=cac087&dgtl=1&lat=36.979583333333&lon=-121.81375)

I'm going riding (after I go to the Santa Cruz County Fair (http://www.santacruzcountyfair.com/) , that is!)
--
Davy

Elefantino
09-16-2006, 03:58 AM
I still have a snow shovel. The movers mistakenly packed it when we left Utah. I look at it occasionally. I remember. Then I usually run, not walk, and jump in the pool.

:fight:

Tom
09-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Karen and I went to Yellowstone park the last week of September a few years ago. That time of year, I think, is the best time to be there. Nobody else is there, the bears are in the high lands and everything else is in the low lands. One of the best times I've had in my whole life was one day we were at one of the high points and it was snowing and we just sat on a couple of rocks and looked out over the Lamar Valley and let it snow on us.

Lincoln
09-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Good Mornining :rolleyes:
No ride today! Should be warm and sunny again by Monday.

alancw3
09-16-2006, 09:31 AM
the good news for us down here in south florida is that the best cyling weather is right around the corner so to speak. i look forward to not coming home from a ride looking like i just got out of a swimming pool! i have to admit, having grown up in the northeast and living for several years in burlington, vt. that i do miss snow. like there is nothing prettier than a fresh fallen snow on a country landscape. still enjoy being able to cyle yearound here in florida though!

onekgguy
09-16-2006, 09:38 AM
I am so jealous. Haven't been in a good blizzard since I left MN in 1991...

Ah yes...you must be referring to the Halloween blizzard...what a mess!

Kevin

tch
09-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Tomorrow -- high of 65 and sunny. I'll be riding through the yellow aspen trees on the Peak-to-Peak Highway and Golden Gate Canyon. It is perfect Fall weather right now.
Hey Tailwinds, I think you're trying to pull a fast one. Those don't look like Rocky Mt. mountains -- too much horizontal layering. Where is the picture from? Inquiring minds want to know.

Bud
09-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Hey Tailwinds, I think you're trying to pull a fast one. Those don't look like Rocky Mt. mountains -- too much horizontal layering. Where is the picture from? Inquiring minds want to know.

Bro lots of the Rockies on the west side look like that- Leadville formation (limestone), Penn-Permian Redbeds, etc. Think of Vail. It's not all pre-Cambrian crystalline sutff. That picture looks like the Maroon Bells (Pennsylvanian Maroon formation) over near Crested Butte.

catulle
09-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Er, I think I better keep my bird company, atmo...

Karin Kirk
09-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Bro lots of the Rockies on the west side look like that- Leadville formation (limestone), Penn-Permian Redbeds, etc. Think of Vail. It's not all pre-Cambrian crystalline sutff. That picture looks like the Maroon Bells (Pennsylvanian Maroon formation) over near Crested Butte.

Agreed, I think it's the Maroon Bells - near Aspen? Late Pennsylvanian to Permian sedimentary rocks. Very pretty.

Back in the day, I did my field camp in Colorado. What a great place to learn geology!

BoulderGeek
09-16-2006, 02:28 PM
I was just ski and snowboard shopping, actually. Major dark cold rain swept through Boulder County today. So, no road ride for me (no painting the house, either).

Nice shot, Lincoln! You lucky person, getting to live there.

Looks like snow fell last night, here, about 10,500 feet or so. Nicely dusted peaks again.

Yeah, I'm ready to play in the snow.

And, yes, that pic from Tailwinds is Pyramid Peak in the Maroon Bells, from the Aspen side. My old house was six miles away (sorry I broke your heart, Tabatha). Hike over to the other side and you're on the 401 trail in Crested Butte.

Bud
09-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Back in the day, I did my field camp in Colorado. What a great place to learn geology!

Karin- I did my field camp up your way in the Tobacco Root Mts! That, too was a great place to learn geology and how to map.

And geek- I'm using the wind/rain/dark clouds excuse to avoid painting the outside of the house today, too. Get ready though- I'll have a new garage door pic to post soon!

Karin Kirk
09-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Karin- I did my field camp up your way in the Tobacco Root Mts! That, too was a great place to learn geology and how to map.

Very cool! Isn't it funny how your field camp experience sticks with you forever? Are you still a practicing geologist?

BTW, the snow line ended up a few hundred feet above our house, but the mountains have that fresh powdered sugar look. Waaay to cold and raw for riding or outdoor home improvement projects today. Instead I am about to make buckets of pesto from all the basil we picked last night.

Don't forget to lean a bike up against that garage door when you take your photo.

Lincoln
09-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Nice shot, Lincoln! You lucky person, getting to live there.

Actually, I'm thinking of moving there :banana:

nm87710
09-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Change of seasons??..only a fantasy in NTex
96 degrees, 25mph winds, 43% humidity!
Swimmingly nice for racing :crap:

spiderlake
09-16-2006, 04:04 PM
That is an amazing photo!

Samster
09-16-2006, 05:55 PM
That is an amazing photo!aren't those the maroon bells? i can never quite tell...

Tailwinds
09-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Yes, those are the Maroon Bells.

Today's ride was the most brutal yet somehow fun ride I've done this year. :rolleyes: It was about 55 miles w/about 5000' of climbing -- but the WIND made it feel MUCH longer! Denver was having gusts to 48 mph, so who knows what the numbers were up where we were.

We started out w/springlike weather in Golden, but as we neared about 8500', it started snowing. The snow was mostly light, but still, it was snowing and WINDY -- BRRRR!! Sometimes it was snowing and sunny at the same time... kinda strange. The climb up Golden Gate Canyon is a tough one, with grades of 19% posted. We climbed and climbed and climbed w/the wind right in our faces. I kept trying to distract myself by looking at all the beautiful leaves changing colors up there. It really was gorgeous! After the first climb, we had some big rollers, then another real climb, then a GREAT, LOOOONG descent down Coal Creek Canyon and back to sunshine and 60's. What a ride!

Karin Kirk
09-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Wow! That must have been an awesome ride - good for you! A little taste of everything, weather-wise. Sounds like it was a great day. :)