PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine and training

cetuximab
10-15-2017, 09:09 AM
I use caffeine for races.

There is evidence that 3-9mg/kg caffeine improves performance.

But should caffeine be used for training? Probably for long rides. But should I start using caffeine for short training rides? I train before work..about 1.5 hours.

Thanks in advance.

rnhood
10-15-2017, 02:57 PM
I believe Froome said caffeine and sugar in the latter stages of the ride. Doesn't matter whether it's a training ride or race.

Ralph
10-15-2017, 03:09 PM
Dr Mirkin (sports Doc and nutritionist) on the subject.

http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/caffeine-boosts-endurance-and-strength.html

Jgrooms
10-15-2017, 05:36 PM
Pretty well documented from many sources that it works.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11583104/?i=6&from=/19757860/related

There’s a reason there is a Starbucks on every corner.

My own personal exp is that continued use brings an adaptation to it & thus less return for the qty consumed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbill
10-15-2017, 05:45 PM
I used to race with coca cola in my bottles. I'd buy a two liter bottle and let it go flat and then cut it with water. Sugar and caffeine.

rockdude
10-16-2017, 08:14 AM
If you look at the research about 1/4 to 1/3 of the caffeine users are non responders or negative responders. You better test caffeine before you race with it. I have clients that were coffee drinkers and though it helped performance until we tested them and their performance was dramatically reduced.

benb
10-16-2017, 08:42 AM
Doesn't this stuff always depend on you abstaining from caffeine the rest of the time?

I.e. if you have a tolerance the exercise effects are reduced/eliminated?

rockdude
10-16-2017, 09:09 AM
Doesn't this stuff always depend on you abstaining from caffeine the rest of the time?

I.e. if you have a tolerance the exercise effects are reduced/eliminated?

The latest research says no.

redir
10-16-2017, 02:25 PM
I used to race with coca cola in my bottles. I'd buy a two liter bottle and let it go flat and then cut it with water. Sugar and caffeine.

Now that's old school right there! :beer:

n1ey
10-17-2017, 06:19 PM
If you look at the research about 1/4 to 1/3 of the caffeine users are non responders or negative responders. You better test caffeine before you race with it. I have clients that were coffee drinkers and though it helped performance until we tested them and their performance was dramatically reduced.

How did you test them? I also have the results of the particular DNA sequencing for myself, which doesn't necessarily shed light on its effects.

bill

jumphigher
10-17-2017, 06:47 PM
I use caffeine in the form tablets daily (my wife does, too) - have been for years. Helps not only rides but every other aspect of our busy life. On the tolerence question, we always use the same amounts, at the same intervals, so it works every time. We both take a half tablet with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Gives a gentle lift, not a crazy boost.

rockdude
10-17-2017, 07:34 PM
How did you test them? I also have the results of the particular DNA sequencing for myself, which doesn't necessarily shed light on its effects.

bill

Performance is the best indicator of performance. With several of my athletes it became oblivious looking at the race results. I had two racers in the past that t were loading up on Coffee before the races and having **** results. Once we removed the caffeine they were back to finishing races strong. I have use a 20m FTP test to monitor how I respond to caffeine, beet root, etc... Pretty easy to record performance using a power meter to test what things work.

old_fat_and_slow
10-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Energy drink of the peloton back in the day was de-carbonated Coke. So take that for what it's worth.

Macadamia
10-17-2017, 08:17 PM
im telling usada about this rampant stimulant use