PDA

View Full Version : For the same money . . .

ox_rider
09-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I want to get a custom bike that is properly fitted. I have read nearly everything on the site and my thought is that for the same money I can get a custom steel bike from Carl Strong or a custom Ti bike from Mark Hickey at Habanero. I have communicated with both of them (and some other builders) and feel I will be in capable hands with either of them.

I am riding steel bikes with steel forks now and figured I would always ride steel, maybe add a fiber fork at some point, but . . . .

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Smiley
09-15-2006, 04:44 PM
for my money , a CDA with F3 fork is the way to go. BEST value period in the Serotta line up. $ 1795 for frame and what $ 610 for fork MSRP so you'd expect some love below these price points. Most important is its tuned to your liking.

Lincoln
09-15-2006, 04:45 PM
I got a steel bike from Carl this Summer. Great bike that fits right and rides great. Also, Carl was great to deal with through the whole process. Carl does Ti too.

Serotta PETE
09-15-2006, 04:47 PM
I want to get a custom bike that is properly fitted. I have read nearly everything on the site and my thought is that for the same money I can get a custom steel bike from Carl Strong or a custom Ti bike from Mark Hickey at Habanero. I have communicated with both of them (and some other builders) and feel I will be in capable hands with either of them.

I am riding steel bikes with steel forks now and figured I would always ride steel, maybe add a fiber fork at some point, but . . . .

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Key is what you are happy with and that it fits you. (I have heard nothing but good about Carl Strong) David Kirk and Curt Goodrich are also good steel builders and of the upmost integrity. I would add Sachs BUT his wait is over three years. In short there are some really great steel builders.

I have been riding Serotta's for many years and enjoy the ride and product.
Some would even say I am VERY VERY BIASED. (they would be correct)

The shop I deal with (CYCLESPORT) has always done a great job in fitting me and selling me the product that is right for my purpose. Thus no reason to switch. SPOKES, about 7 years ago, got hooked on CYCLESPORT and SEROTTA,,,,he has been using them since for Legends, CSI, Ottrott, Meivici, etc.... Only problem is that they are 500 miles from RALEIGH>

Key here is FIT. This also includes a frame designed for your intended purpose.

I know I am not of much help here but the question, especially if they are about the same price, can only be asked and answered by you.

It is fun to get a new bike,,,,wish you the best of luck. PETE

ox_rider
09-15-2006, 04:47 PM
The thought is that Carl can build steel for $1,200 and Habanero will do custom Ti for $1,200.

Smiley
09-15-2006, 04:48 PM
if 1200 is your price point then check out Roland Della Santa too

Serotta PETE
09-15-2006, 04:51 PM
The thought is that Carl can build steel for $1,200 and Habanero will do custom Ti for $1,200.

Smiley or some one from Serotta can answer this better BUT I doubt the Ti is the same at that price point as used by SPECTRUM or SEROTTA. If you want a great fit - there is non better than our Mr SMILEY!!!! (In DC).. I also agree with him on the CDA - - a great steel bike for the money.

Smiley
09-15-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd charge him 20% of his bike budget for a fit :). Really many, way too many people sell what Serotta does with a CDA and yet even better a LaCorsa Ti or better yet a Fierte bikes short, I think if you check out the new HSG stuff it will be SMOKIN hot for what is being offered too . This bike will last you a lifetime the price differences divided by miles is very small so think hard about what you spend on frame and fork to begin the process.

Serotta PETE
09-15-2006, 04:58 PM
I'd charge him 20% of his bike budget for a fit :). Really many, way too many people sell what Serotta does with a CDA and yet even better a LaCorsa Ti or better yet a Fierte bikes short, I think if you check out the new HSG stuff it will be SMOKIN hot for what is being offered too . This bike will last you a lifetime the price differences divided by miles is very small so think hard about what you spend on frame and fork to begin the process.

BUT HE WILL GET A complete custom fitting for that 20%. (from the "MASTER"!!!.) yes I am coming to your home the have some red...

GoJavs
09-15-2006, 05:19 PM
For the same money, I can get a new PEGO BLE w/ Ultegra 10 and just about anything else.... :) well, within reason...