PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite PF30 BB/adapter?

simplemind
10-12-2017, 02:26 PM
Seems like there are even issues with Praxis Works, Parlee, Wheels Mfg., so what is your go-to BB when you must do PF?

eBAUMANN
10-12-2017, 03:10 PM
CK is the best one that DOESNT thread the 2 cups together internally.
Praxis are pretty nice as well, the threading-together design is pretty great.

10-12-2017, 03:18 PM
CK has a better record for working with no creaking, alignment problems, or other issues. It simply works.

I've had a couple Praxis units and found that, depending on the frame, they don't leave enough room to run Di2 wires through the bottom bracket. It was particularly a problem at one point with Moots, enough so that Praxis singled Moots out on their website as a potential issue.

azrider
10-12-2017, 03:19 PM
I'm 2 years in with my Praxis conversion and no complaints

tumbler
10-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Seems like there are ever issues with Praxis Works, Parlee, Wheels Mfg., so what is your go-to BB when you must do PF?

Should this say "ever", "even", or "never" issues? I've always heard good things about the Praxis ones.

simplemind
10-12-2017, 03:47 PM
Should this say "ever", "even", or "never" issues? I've always heard good things about the Praxis ones.

Fixed, thank you Sir! :)

tumbler
10-12-2017, 03:55 PM
That's what I'm here for. I did a ton of reading on these a while back and it seemed like the Praxis Works was the best option, imo. Either that going all the way and gluing one of those Sram threaded adaptors into the frame.

Fortunately I came to my senses and just bought a different frame that came with a threaded BB :)

simplemind
10-12-2017, 04:21 PM
That's what I'm here for.

lol, wish I had a mission statement like that! ;)

Seems like the only way to minimize noise is to Loctite the damn things in. That said, how is the Chris King different? Looks like they are just pressed in as well, plus you also have an adapter (to fit Shimano) which is also a press fit. arrgh!

John H.
10-12-2017, 04:39 PM
I like the Wheels MFG.- It threads together in the middle- this keeps it tight in the frame, and also keeps each cup from moving independently.

Pschnei3
10-12-2017, 05:35 PM
I had great success with kogel.

Blown Reek
10-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Parlee

If you have a problem with the Parlee part (especially if you're riding Campagnolo), you're doing something wrong. Or something with your bike is wrong. Personally, I haven't had an issue with the Wheels Mfg one either (that was running Shimano 9000), but I don't feel that it's as a perfect of a part as the Campagnolo Parlee one is.

fa63
10-12-2017, 06:19 PM
I like the Wheels MFG.- It threads together in the middle- this keeps it tight in the frame, and also keeps each cup from moving independently.

I like Wheels MFG as well. I use the BB86 version in one of my bikes, and it works great. Also, it is the smoothest BB I have ever had (I use the version with the angular contact bearings) when it comes to the spin test, not that it means much.

By the way, to the OP, I have a brand new PF30 version for sale. I bought it for another project which I ended up not building. Let me know if it is of any interest.

simplemind
10-12-2017, 06:59 PM
If you have a problem with the Parlee part (especially if you're riding Campagnolo), you're doing something wrong. Or something with your bike is wrong. Personally, I haven't had an issue with the Wheels Mfg one either (that was running Shimano 9000), but I don't feel that it's as a perfect of a part as the Campagnolo Parlee one is.

Did you Loctite the Parlee bb, use grease, or dry?

josephr
10-12-2017, 07:45 PM
As a frugal home mechanic, the Wheels MFG is a great deal...installed on many bikes as it just plain works and have never had any complaints/creaking issues. Plus its a fair amount less expensive than the others. The bearings are super smooth and have 8000miles on one with no issues, including a fair amount of bad weather rides.

No experience with the CK, but I'm one of those folks that thinks CK is over-priced. Not that its not good stuff, but I'd run a $20 Shimano BB all day before shucking out $150 for Fred points.

RobJ
10-12-2017, 08:06 PM
CK has a better record for working with no creaking, alignment problems, or other issues. It simply works.

I've had a couple Praxis units and found that, depending on the frame, they don't leave enough room to run Di2 wires through the bottom bracket. It was particularly a problem at one point with Moots, enough so that Praxis singled Moots out on their website as a potential issue.

Praxis here too. But agree with the Di2 issue. Sheared a cable before realizing the problem so had to switch back and run the CK with Shimano crank.

Blown Reek
10-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Did you Loctite the Parlee bb, use grease, or dry?

Grease in a ti frame, dry on a carbon frame, and a Park HHP-2. Make sure you're going in straight.

batman1425
10-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Have a Wheels MFG one in my Foundry. Install is easy, and it is rock solid. I also like that it is pretty easy to service with new press in bearings should it ever come to that. Way better than any stock Sram BB I've used and really well made for the price.

simplemind
10-13-2017, 07:37 AM
Looks like there's an overwhelming support for Wheels Mfg. Another one that hasn't been mentioned is bbinfinite (https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/pressfit30-directfit-shimano?variant=9864617987). From what I've read, if your bb housing is in question, this is the one.

Davist
10-13-2017, 07:42 AM
Another vote for wheels, have had for two years, not a peep, spins great. Great product.

10-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Simplemind, it's not that Wheels Manufacturing are preferred in any way. They are inexpensive and uncomplicated. Kings are expensive but beautifully made and end up just like King hubs -- some people resent the price or the color or whatever but they are pretty much trouble free and long-lived. My last three bikes all were from significant builders who all recommended the King PF30 bottom bracket first. I wouldn't overthink this. Using adapters, screw-together bottom brackets, or press-in ones like the King, if you install them right in a new frame you tend not to have too many problems. Early on people didn't know quite how to deal with them, early PF30 frames had bottom bracket shells that were rather inconsistent in dimension and sometimes didn't support the bottom bracket properly, and the industry had to work through some teething problems. What's the last time you've seen a PF30 creak thread on this forum?

batman1425
10-13-2017, 09:11 AM
What's the last time you've seen a PF30 creak thread on this forum?

This is a good point, even the standard PF30 frames and BB's are better than what they used to be 3 or 5 years ago. That said, I still hear of more problems with the standard systems than the screw together options which make any potential tolerance variations a complete non-issue.

jtbadge
10-13-2017, 09:21 AM
The Wheels PF30 BB is great and well priced. I had the previous version - press fit only, no threading - in my steel cross bike for two years, with BB30 native cranks, and never a sound or issue. Installed with grease only, no loctite or anything.

Mr_Gimby
10-13-2017, 09:22 AM
Simplemind, it's not that Wheels Manufacturing are preferred in any way. They are inexpensive and uncomplicated. Kings are expensive but beautifully made and end up just like King hubs -- some people resent the price or the color or whatever but they are pretty much trouble free and long-lived. My last three bikes all were from significant builders who all recommended the King PF30 bottom bracket first. I wouldn't overthink this. Using adapters, screw-together bottom brackets, or press-in ones like the King, if you install them right in a new frame you tend not to have too many problems. Early on people didn't know quite how to deal with them, early PF30 frames had bottom bracket shells that were rather inconsistent in dimension and sometimes didn't support the bottom bracket properly, and the industry had to work through some teething problems. What's the last time you've seen a PF30 creak thread on this forum?

Hmm, gotta disagree on your claim about Wheels MFG not being preferred but merely accessible. Running a shop I have my cherry-pick of all of those you mentioned, and I go to Wheels every time. Same goes for many other shop folks I know who can get stuff at significant discount from retail. Though you are correct that shell tolerances are getting much better.

nicrump
10-13-2017, 09:49 AM
The problem with even the best press only PF30 BB's is they rely on an in-spec frame.

The absolute best press only PF30 BB that IMO due to its extremely long skirt, somewhat compensates for out of spec frames is the Kogel.

Having said that I've moved entirely to the Wheels thread together solutions. It works, works well, simple and at a great price.

ikecycke
10-13-2017, 10:16 AM
Another vote for the threaded Wheels Mfg PF30 to GXP or Shimano. I had issues with bearings on a couple of the press in stock PF30 versions a few years ago, but haven't run into that in quite some time, and never with the threaded conversion versions. I've used them on multiple road, CX, and MTBs over the past few years and they're all running strong.

The Praxis works well, but I don't like that you have to slide a plastic sleeve in first for PF30. My thought is the fewer parts the better.

-dustin
10-13-2017, 10:17 AM
i still prefer the basic SRAM bb and plastic Wheels adapters.

Kogel is very impressive, albeit costly.

oldguy00
01-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Hi all, with regards to the wheelsmfg BB's discussed, is angular contact preferred? The price diff is about $25 over the 'regular' bearings, so not a big price jump, but are they really any better?

fa63
01-02-2018, 09:28 AM
I have used both the regular and the angular contact versions, and the angular contact ones do a little better in the "spin the crank in the stand" test. Of course whether or not that translates to any real life gains is another question.

oldguy00
01-02-2018, 09:30 AM
I have used both the regular and the angular contact versions, and the angular contact ones do a little better in the "spin the crank in the stand" test. Of course whether or not that translates to any real life gains is another question.

I've read some posts about how the angular contact bearings require more 'preload adjustment'..... So for a Shimano crank, does that just mean you have to tighten the cranks a bit more than usual to get rid of play?

ORMojo
01-02-2018, 09:54 AM
If not the thread-together type, then Kogel.

simplemind
01-02-2018, 10:03 AM
I've read some posts about how the angular contact bearings require more 'preload adjustment'..... So for a Shimano crank, does that just mean you have to tighten the cranks a bit more than usual to get rid of play?

Not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but I went with the suggestions here and bought the angular bearing version and installed per instructions. Running Shimano Ultegra crankset and so far it's tight, quiet, and no play discernible.

pgrizzwald
01-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Looks like there's an overwhelming support for Wheels Mfg. Another one that hasn't been mentioned is bbinfinite (https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/pressfit30-directfit-shimano?variant=9864617987). From what I've read, if your bb housing is in question, this is the one.

I've been using a bbinfinite insert for the past year - BB86 to BB30 - running a Rotor 3D+ crank in my BMC teammachine slr01. It has worked flawlessly, no creaks and spins smoothly. Top notch product from a great company. Gary knows his stuff.

batman1425
01-02-2018, 11:01 AM
Running a wheels manuf. PF30 to GXP adapter on the cross bike and it works a treat. Threaded design ensure a stable and creak free fit.

fa63
01-02-2018, 12:44 PM

I used one of the supplied spacers during the install. Other than that, you tighten the cranks the same as you normally would.