PDA

View Full Version : Shimano finish vs Campy finish

orbea65
09-15-2006, 04:04 PM
OK, so I'm sitting here with a new dura ace rear derailleur and a new record (2006) rear derailleur in front of me. Is it just me, or does the shimano dura ace parts have a much nicer finish on all of its alloy parts over campy?? And does anyone find the campy rear der. with its piece of carbon shoved in the middle, cheap looking??
I miss the late 80's early 90's C-Record. I think Dura Ace has pulled ahead of campy these days..

Ahneida Ride
09-15-2006, 04:11 PM
I agree.

Campy's finish is going downhill.

Problem is that for FD and RD components there is not much choice.

Avispa
09-15-2006, 04:31 PM
I think Dura Ace has pulled ahead of campy these days..

I have not seen the Japanese finish in a while... now besides the finish, I'd like to know where DA has pulled ahead of Record.... BTW, don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up!

orbea65
09-15-2006, 04:39 PM
I have not seen the Japanese finish in a while... now besides finish, I'd like to know where DA has pulled ahead of Record.... BTW, don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up!

I've used both Dura Ace and Record over the past few years. I guess I prefer the Dura Ace function as I find the shifting more exact and the braking more powerful. But thats just me. I do wish that Shimano had a good way to hide the shifter cable/housing coming out of the STI. So aside from that, I think shimano is currently a higher quality finish than campy. As far as wear and tear, I've never worn out parts from either.
I really do miss the C-Record cranks and Deltas.

Archibald
09-15-2006, 04:45 PM
OK, so I'm sitting here with a new dura ace rear derailleur and a new record (2006) rear derailleur in front of me. Is it just me, or does the shimano dura ace parts have a much nicer finish on all of its alloy parts over campy?? And does anyone find the campy rear der. with its piece of carbon shoved in the middle, cheap looking??

Ha, ha, ha, ha!!!! Good troll!

:banana:

Grant McLean
09-15-2006, 04:53 PM
OK, so I'm sitting here with a new dura ace rear derailleur and a new record (2006) rear derailleur in front of me. Is it just me, or does the shimano dura ace parts have a much nicer finish on all of its alloy parts over campy??

Sure, but how's the carbon finish on the Shimano parts?

:)

g

Serotta PETE
09-15-2006, 05:03 PM

g

It is excellent.....you will not see any blemish in the carbon... :D :D :D

:p

and you will not see any carbon for that matter

musgravecycles
09-15-2006, 05:33 PM
and you will not see any carbon for that matter

Just ye wait, it's in the works as we speak...
:rolleyes:

Johny
09-15-2006, 05:53 PM

g

ripples??? :)

BoulderGeek
09-15-2006, 07:34 PM
I've been using Shimano for the last 15 years. Last time I used Campy before my new Serotta was in the mid-80s.

I am vastly preferring the 2005 Chorus 10 to 2002 DA9.

Campy:
Braking, better. Shifting, far better. Looks, better. Rebuildable! Routed cables.

Shimano: hoods fit my hands better, and I ride hoods 90%.

vaxn8r
09-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Yeah, like the DA crank or not, the finish on it is impeccable. ATMO.

shinomaster
09-15-2006, 10:59 PM
All I know is that the vintage Athena stuff in my closet is way more polished and pretty than the chorus and record schlock I am using today.

Avispa
09-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Shimano: hoods fit my hands better, and I ride hoods 90%.

Yeah, precisely one of Shimano's problems... this pseudo-ergonomics that actually force one to ride on the hoods almost always. Shimano's hoods are larger, alright... but I like the smaller Campy hoods, that in a way, make me not to be on them for so long. I ride in the hoods 10% of the time, the rest everywhere else on the bars! That's the way we were taught to ride.

Hey after all this doping stuff.... Finally a Campy vs Shimano post, eh! ;)

Cheers! :) :)

Tailwinds
09-15-2006, 11:07 PM
And does anyone find the campy rear der. with its piece of carbon shoved in the middle, cheap looking??

I agree.

But I do have Campy on my Kirk for other reasons -- esp. the 29-tooth cog -- and it is so low-maintenance compared to my DA9 on my other bike. I haven't had to adjust the Campy AT ALL since the day it was installed.

Samster
09-15-2006, 11:17 PM
since you're asking for opinions...

1. overall, i think campy looks better than shimano. this is not about "finish." it's about overall looks. imo of course.

2. i think da cranks are not pretty.

3. i think shimano ergo brifters are ugl,. not to mention exposed shifter housing.

4. i think campy looks sleeker.

5. i think the carbon insert in the rd looks nice.

6. i think sram stuff is growing on me

7. shimaNO

Johny
09-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey after all this doping stuff.... Finally a Campy vs Shimano post, eh! ;)

Hey Lance must have doped because no one else has won the Tour on Shimano. :D

coylifut
09-15-2006, 11:54 PM
since you're asking for opinions...

1. overall, i think campy looks better than shimano. this is not about "finish." it's about overall looks. imo of course.

2. i think da cranks are not pretty.

3. i think shimano ergo brifters are ugl,. not to mention exposed shifter housing.

4. i think campy looks sleeker.

5. i think the carbon insert in the rd looks nice.

6. i think sram stuff is growing on me

7. shimaNO

i think you are right on all accounts. too bad the shimaNO works so much better.

shinomaster
09-16-2006, 12:01 AM
i think you are right on all accounts. too bad the shimaNO works so much better.

It does?

orbea65
09-16-2006, 03:39 AM
Ha, ha, ha, ha!!!! Good troll!

:banana:

um....yes Archie....you caught me.....now back to your police station for some donuts and coffee....

Anyway, my comment was mainly regarding the alloy finishes on these products, not the function.

Elefantino
09-16-2006, 03:53 AM
In the old days, there used to be a heavy Ford vs. Chevy argument, too.

Then along came Toyota. And Honda. And Nissan. And Hyundai. And Kia. And just about every other successful new "American" manufacturer that makes quality cars.

Hey ... I think I just saw a bike with DoubleTap.

(For the Record, I ride Campy.)

Big Dan
09-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Ride whatever you like.........Personally I do plenty of damage with my old DA9..

:cool:

DarrenCT
09-16-2006, 06:32 PM

g

that carbon finish is super chezzzy. it reminds me on of fake marble or something.

Grant McLean
09-16-2006, 06:41 PM
that carbon finish is super chezzzy.

mmmmmmm Italian cheese!

g