PDA

View Full Version : Bike with no skewers, not sure why?

SeanScott
10-11-2017, 06:03 PM
I was riding with a friend today who was on a new Pinarello f10. He flatted out and when we went to change the tube the bike had no skewers. He realized that he did not bring the tool to remove the wheel. None of our multi tools had a big enough allen wrench to get the wheel off. I don't understand why a bike company would complicate something that is so simple. I also don't understand why a bike company would make someone carry special tools.
Sorry for the rant but it just seems absurd.
best thing I learned at design school
K.I.S.S - keep it simple stupid

dancinkozmo
10-11-2017, 06:10 PM
why ?

$$$$$

thats why

sales guy
10-11-2017, 06:16 PM
The Enve Gravel fork uses an allen key to remove the thru axle. You can of course BUY a thru axle skewer. Formula and DT are the only ones who offer a replacement for that tho. And both are kind of pricey for what it is. $45 for a DT.

dustyrider
10-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Because marginal gains is the difference between success and failure!

hobbanero
10-11-2017, 06:38 PM
but think of how sleek it looks sitting on the side of the road. I have the same complaint about my new MTB, but I always carry a multitool when mountain biking. But why does looking sleek matter on an MTB?

biker72
10-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Some of the 2018 Specialized models have these too. Takes a 5mm allen.
We've progressed from quick release to slow release.....:p

buddybikes
10-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Think we should go back to 15MM nut - that would be strong enough

Wing nuts were fun however

Bostic
10-11-2017, 08:11 PM
I had these Control Tech skewers in the mid 90’s that used a 5mm Allen key. Looks like they have not changed much over the years from this image from Universal Cycles.

https://www.universalcycles.com/images//products/large/17045.jpg

sales guy
10-11-2017, 08:15 PM
I had these Control Tech skewers in the mid 90’s that used a 5mm Allen key. Looks like they have not changed much over the years from this image from Universal Cycles.

I'm sold quite a few set in the last 2 years! They still work great for people who want to shave every gram possible. And yeah, they are pretty much the same as from the 90's.

jruhlen1980
10-11-2017, 08:18 PM
I'm looking at pictures of the 2017 Dogma F10 and it looks like quick-release levers, what am I missing?

huck*this
10-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Probably F10 disc

elliott
10-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Thru axles on disc brake bikes simplify things in multiple regards. Carry a 6mm l-wrench and prepare for the future. Or you can get thru axle skewers that have a lever and can be removed by hand just like a QR.

Just wait until you need to fix a flat on the road and try to install a tube on a tubeless specific rim/tire. Good luck :banana:

FlashUNC
10-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Who doesn't carry a multi tool on a ride?

Thru axle is mo Betta for disc.

sales guy
10-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Thru axles on disc brake bikes simplify things in multiple regards. Carry a 6mm l-wrench and prepare for the future. Or you can get thru axle skewers that have a lever and can be removed by hand just like a QR.

Just wait until you need to fix a flat on the road and try to install a tube on a tubeless specific rim/tire. Good luck :banana:

It took me three days to remove a set of 700x34c tires on a tubeless rim set. I would work on it for an hour and stop cause I couldn't get it. And every tire lever started to damage the rim. Didn't matter what I did. Freaking horrible! Almost cut the tires off I was that stuck. Even called the tire and rim manufacturer. They had no answers. Eventually I got them off. 3 DAYS!!!

SeanScott
10-11-2017, 09:26 PM
yeah sorry didn't clarify, Disc.
My CX has through axles, however with a built in lever.

I'm looking at pictures of the 2017 Dogma F10 and it looks like quick-release levers, what am I missing?

MesiJezi
10-11-2017, 09:35 PM
My single speed has M6 bolts with a 5mm hex head that thread in to the axle. I think Chris King makes a hub like that too. I like it because I don't have to worry about someone grabbing my wheel if I'm leaving the bike locked somewhere for a few minutes, and I'm already in the habit of carrying a set of hex wrenches.

unterhausen
10-11-2017, 11:36 PM
the DT 9 and 10mm skewers i have are basically fancy wingnuts. It's kinda funny to me, but they work great. I have thought that I would like wingnuts on a TA bike. The only real problem with wingnuts came when horizontal dropouts replaced vertical dropouts. Who knows why that happened, but we have reverted back.

Tony
10-12-2017, 08:46 AM
It took me three days to remove a set of 700x34c tires on a tubeless rim set. I would work on it for an hour and stop cause I couldn't get it. And every tire lever started to damage the rim. Didn't matter what I did. Freaking horrible! Almost cut the tires off I was that stuck. Even called the tire and rim manufacturer. They had no answers. Eventually I got them off. 3 DAYS!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what tires and rims?

ColonelJLloyd
10-12-2017, 09:30 AM

+1 That's just user error.

I spec'd Paragon skewers on my second thru axle bike as I like the sleekness without the lever. You can use a 5mm hex (thread end), 6mm hex (head end) or 12mm flat (head end).

http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/630x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/k/sk4025_2.jpg

If one wants a thru axle with a lever you can buy one.

AngryScientist
10-12-2017, 09:51 AM
it's a good reminder that even if you don't consider yourself a capable mechanic, anyone who rides bicycles seriously and over a 10 minute walk from their home should have an understanding of basic, common field repairs.

as a workaround - i always carry the small park patch kit that's about the size of a quarter. has bailed me out a number of times when i go through more than one tube on the road. of course, you can patch a tube without removing the wheel from the bike if you needed to in a pinch.

charliedid
10-12-2017, 09:54 AM
I'd say...with disc thru-axle bikes, get used to it. Many of the bikes I have seen for 2018 are spec'd with 6mm heads. Probably nicer on the bearing races.

Except for quick change race wheels, do we really need QR wheels?

AngryScientist
10-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Except for quick change race wheels, do we really need QR wheels?

sure is easier for me. my bike is in the hatch of my jeep all the time with the front wheel off, and on my fork mounted roof rack pretty often too.

you wont see me buying a bike that doesnt use a standard QR wheelset anytime soon, but my needs and wants may be different than others.

R3awak3n
10-12-2017, 10:33 AM

this is the great question. why doesnt he have tools and why did he not notice that the bike does not have quick release skewers?

its insane that there are some people out there ridding that don't even know how to change a tire (not your friend but some other people)

FlashUNC
10-12-2017, 11:13 AM
this is the great question. why doesnt he have tools and why did he not notice that the bike does not have quick release skewers?

its insane that there are some people out there ridding that don't even know how to change a tire (not your friend but some other people)

I may skimp a bit and, say, just bring sealant rather than a full spare tubie on a shorter ride, but man. No multi-tool? That's just asking for trouble.

Tony
10-12-2017, 11:53 AM

They did have multi tools, just not the right one.

Tony
10-12-2017, 11:56 AM

There are many folks who ride and don't know how to maintain and work on their bikes.
Not long ago I bought canti's from a seller. These canti's had carbon brake pads the seller wanted to keep. The seller contacted me and said he was not able to remove the pads ("they were pressed in") so he sent the canti's (would have told him how however he already sent them) with the pads. The other day while on a ride I met up with someone who was complaining about Sram due to his noisy rear der. I dropped behind him and I could clearly see his der was out of alignment. I adjusted it for him, he was surprised it was so easy and how quiet it was running.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing, not being able to work or know how your bike operates. However, its when folks (nothing to do with the OP) make negative comments regarding the performance of components or products not understood, installed improperly, neglected or not tuned correctly, well that's bad.

sales guy
10-12-2017, 11:57 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what tires and rims?

It was a set of WTB Exposure 700x34c tires. They are kevlar beaded/folding tires.
The rims were Reynolds ATR Carbon Clincher wheels.

They freaking sucked huge. I was terrified when I saw the rim bead starting to fracture. I still have no clue how I got them off. My hands were crazy sore and I was super pissed.

FlashUNC
10-12-2017, 12:04 PM
They did have multi tools, just not the right one.

I'll rephrase: Who brings the wrong multi-tool on a ride?

Because the one you can't use is the wrong tool.

ColonelJLloyd
10-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Mise en place applies to bikes too.

Tony
10-12-2017, 01:14 PM
I'll rephrase: Who brings the wrong multi-tool on a ride?

Because the one you can't use is the wrong tool.

I get what your saying.
I've had the wrong multi tool on a couple of occasions, once I needed a small flat head screw driver for a cleat that came loose, had everything but that, another time a T-10 Torx wrench. I don't worry about weight anymore when it comes to a multi tool, now carry a Crank Bros Multi-19, has it all.

How many here that stay on the road carry a 9/10/11 speed chain tool? I bet less than 20%

foo_fighter
10-12-2017, 01:21 PM
I specifically look for multi-tools with a chain tool. There are lots of them...and pretty cheap too! Also a quick link in the tool bag takes up very little space and weight.

How many here do you think carry a 9/10/11 speed chain tool? I bet less than 20%

charliedid
10-12-2017, 01:45 PM
sure is easier for me. my bike is in the hatch of my jeep all the time with the front wheel off, and on my fork mounted roof rack pretty often too.

you wont see me buying a bike that doesnt use a standard QR wheelset anytime soon, but my needs and wants may be different than others.

Whatever works!

nooneline
10-12-2017, 02:13 PM
I was riding with a friend today who was on a new Pinarello f10. He flatted out and when we went to change the tube the bike had no skewers. He realized that he did not bring the tool to remove the wheel. None of our multi tools had a big enough allen wrench to get the wheel off. I don't understand why a bike company would complicate something that is so simple. I also don't understand why a bike company would make someone carry special tools.
Sorry for the rant but it just seems absurd.
best thing I learned at design school
K.I.S.S - keep it simple stupid

if your friend wanted to keep it simple, there are lots of options for bikes that aren't the pinarello f10 or other ultra-high-end, high-performance bikes.

Lewis Moon
10-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Mise en place applies to bikes too.

Yep. I go for a minimalist tool kit on my bike but I always try to have the pertinent allen wrenches, screw driver, etc.
Most of the multi tools out there are overkill.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0037/3982/products/jandd_saddle_1_grande.jpg?v=1487391007

FlashUNC
10-12-2017, 02:48 PM
I get what your saying.
I've had the wrong multi tool on a couple of occasions, once I needed a small flat head screw driver for a cleat that came loose, had everything but that, another time a T-10 Torx wrench. I don't worry about weight anymore when it comes to a multi tool, now carry a Crank Bros Multi-19, has it all.

How many here that stay on the road carry a 9/10/11 speed chain tool? I bet less than 20%

In the last two decades of riding, I can count on two fingers the number of chain issues I've seen on a ride, whether solo or group. Its a risk/reward calculus, sure, but chain tool is pretty far down the list of needs for the usually 40-mile hammerfest loop. Now, 600k brevet, maybe a different story.

The proper allen key to remove your wheel in the event of a flat is near the top of the list, even if you're just headed down to the corner store.

SeanScott
10-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Yes no doubt he should have had the correct tool on him. It just seems like bike companies are making thing more and more complex, needing special tools or in some cases a computer to do basic repairs.

ColonelJLloyd
10-12-2017, 04:17 PM
Surely you're not suggesting that a 5mm hex driver is a special tool.

SeanScott
10-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Don't call me Surely!

choke
10-12-2017, 04:32 PM
I used to ride Bullseye hubs which have the option of using a bolt that threads into the axle. I usually went that route as I felt it held better and made the wheels harder to steal if the bike was parked somewhere. The cool thing was that they took a 5/16" allen so it wasn't very likely that anyone would have that size on them.

Oh, and I also always carry a chain tool.

pdmtong
10-12-2017, 04:49 PM
I have never had a post bar or saddle slip in the field on the road. so no multi-tool.

BUT, i have everything I need to address a puncture 3x (new tube, wet patches/glueless patches, cell phone)

chain tool? never seen a chain issue mine or friends.

But, you have to be able to take your wheel off since tire repair is the most common incident. so the F10 owner...IMHO all on him.

Tony
10-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Yes no doubt he should have had the correct tool on him. It just seems like bike companies are making thing more and more complex, needing special tools or in some cases a computer to do basic repairs.

I believe its a 6mm allen key needed for your friends f10. None of you had a multi tool that had a 6mm wrench? What multi tools are you guys using?

charliedid
10-12-2017, 07:39 PM
I used to ride Bullseye hubs which have the option of using a bolt that threads into the axle. I usually went that route as I felt it held better and made the wheels harder to steal if the bike was parked somewhere. The cool thing was that they took a 5/16" allen so it wasn't very likely that anyone would have that size on them.

Oh, and I also always carry a chain tool.

:-)

SeanScott
10-12-2017, 08:44 PM
I think it was much bigger like a 10mm????

Another cyclist stopped and and we went through his wrenches with no luck as well.

My unclear point I was trying to make is that they could have easily put a release on the wheel or at least made the axle a common allen size.
I'm not trying to argue that we should have had the tool or carry everything to fix a bicycle.
I just don't understand making something more difficult or not universal to service.

I believe its a 6mm allen key needed for your friends f10. None of you had a multi tool that had a 6mm wrench? What multi tools are you guys using?

Ronsonic
10-12-2017, 09:16 PM

https://www.universalcycles.com/images//products/large/17045.jpg

Fetch the 80s MTB utility bike has those from the previous owner. Easy enough to deal with using a standard or minimal multi-tool and just hard enough to steal to prevent normal thefts.