PDA

View Full Version : Untrained 10k

TunaAndBikes
10-10-2017, 09:07 AM
I'm reasonably fit on the bike, and just signed up for a 10k with friends.
I wasn't considering training until my SO told me that it would be a terrible idea to wing it.
So i guess the question is; has anyone ran a 10k untrained, and is it that terrible of an idea?

Veloo
10-10-2017, 09:12 AM
I did it many years ago when I was in race shape.
It was a bad idea. Different muscles than cycling so I was very sore for a few days after.
Highly recommend you train a bit before doing it.

icepick_trotsky
10-10-2017, 09:13 AM
You'll be fine, it's not that far.

tuscanyswe
10-10-2017, 09:22 AM
I agree. You will be fine imo. However if you want a nice time you need to train but you will be able to make it no problem.

One might however be surprised just how little the advantage of beeing a reasnoble good cyclists gives you compared to the average person. Its a very different event and i was actually a faster runner before i started cycling a lot. Then again that was a long time ago i was probably faster at biking too back then argh :)

thwart
10-10-2017, 09:45 AM
It was a bad idea. Different muscles than cycling so I was very sore for a few days after.

This.

Was a runner, then pretty much gave it up for cycling in 2006. My daughter was home for a week a few yrs ago and asked if I wanted to go out to run with her. I was riding 5K miles a year at that time at a lively pace. But... I hadn't run at all for over a year. She's fast, runs a lot... I kept up for a couple of miles then had to actually walk home due to quad pain in both legs. I was quite sore for several days afterwards.

So... train a bit beforehand, or run at a slower pace.

Of course, I was around 55 at that time... if you're younger YMMV.

Jaybee
10-10-2017, 09:48 AM
When is the race? Do you want to compete or just finish?

If it's less than 2 weeks, IMO, don't worry about it and just wing it. It's 6.2 miles, even if you shuffle-jog it you are looking at an hour, 1:15 tops. You will be sore the next day from the impact, but that's better than being sore from the impact of training, and then heading out for more punishment.

OTOH, if you have 3-4 weeks or more, then start slow, work yourself up to a couple 4-5 mile runs/week in addition to your cycling. You'll get used to the motions and impact of running, and though the first couple weeks will suck, race day will be no problem.

wallymann
10-10-2017, 09:48 AM
depends on your age and running background that you bring to the party.

if you're in really good shape on the bike and run it hard w/o any running foundation, you can really trash your legs and damage connective tissue as you wont have the necessary durability build from running-specific training. since you're asking this question, i'm assuming you dont have alot of running experience.

that said, if youre young and/or take it easy pace-wise 10K really isnt that far and you can get away with minimal training.

BikeNY
10-10-2017, 10:08 AM
It really depends on how fat you want to go! If you want to run the whole thing at a decent clip, getting out for some runs is required. If you are going for a walk/run strategy, you could probably wing it.

That said, if I were you, I would try to get out for a couple of runs at least. I wouldn't really call it training, but just getting your body used to running. It uses different muscles from riding, and is pretty rough on your body.

EDS
10-10-2017, 10:18 AM
I'm reasonably fit on the bike, and just signed up for a 10k with friends.
I wasn't considering training until my SO told me that it would be a terrible idea to wing it.
So i guess the question is; has anyone ran a 10k untrained, and is it that terrible of an idea?

Run two miles tomorrow at the pace you think you can sustain for the 10k and come back and tell us how you feel.

My bet, based on personal experience, is that you will be surprisingly sore. That said, even a few 2-3 mile runs before the race could make a huge difference in your comfort level during and after the 10k.

verticaldoug
10-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Don't take it too seriously. I'd spend my time working on an Elvis suit and run the 10k dressed as Elvis.

Then you dont need to care what happens.

disspence
10-10-2017, 10:36 AM
You don't really need to train for the 10K, but you definitely need to run 3 miles or so a few times before you run the 10K.

as someone else said, run 2-3 miles once and see how you feel, then run again 3 days later. If you recover well, then I'd say you're OK as long as you're going to run the 10K around 50-60 minutes

ltwtsculler91
10-10-2017, 10:41 AM
You don't really need to train for the 10K, but you definitely need to run 3 miles or so a few times before you run the 10K.

as someone else said, run 2-3 miles once and see how you feel, then run again 3 days later. If you recover well, then I'd say you're OK as long as you're going to run the 10K around 50-60 minutes

This is ideal, you just want to get yourself out and used to the running motion a few times before knocking out the whole 10k. Just remember to get a good stretch in afterwards and not hammer it too hard, you'll be sore after the first 1-2 runs

texbike
10-10-2017, 10:45 AM
Is it a race or a RUN? If there isn't a hard pace required, I wouldn't worry about it. Jump out there and do it. As someone else pointed out, it's only 6.2 miles. I did one a few years ago with my wife and a group of her friends that had been training for a couple of months. I decided to do it with them at the last minute without training and it wasn't an issue at all.

And yes, doing it in an Elvis (or other - Trump maybe?) costume would make it even better!

Texbike

weiwentg
10-10-2017, 11:03 AM

Me too. I actually did an Olympic distance duathlon, so a 5k run, 40k bike, 10k run. I'd run probably once or twice a week, 2-3 miles, leading up to that. I could barely walk the day after.

That said, I did try to get the best run time I could, and I did come in around a 40 minute 10k. If someone were to take their 10k easy, it would probably not be quite that bad. I'd still say go run at least a 5k in training beforehand.

jruhlen1980
10-10-2017, 11:09 AM
I used to run a bunch because I had to in the military -- then one day (after my discharge) I realized that I hated running and always have and decided never to run again.

Fast forward several years, and the Royals were in the World Series for the first time since 1985, and my wife and I had a new dog with a lot of energy. In order to watch the game in peace, I decided to just take the dog for a short little 5-mile run. I figured "Hey I'm in good cycling shape and my cardio is good, I can suffer through 40 minutes of running and just tough it out."

The actual running part was OK -- I think I had about an 8 or 8.5-minute/mile pace, which is pretty much what I've always had my entire life.

But I could barely walk for an entire week after that -- I was just unbelievably sore. Like, I don't think I've even gotten that sore from doing squats with too much weight.

Also, it didn't do A THING to tire out the dog. She just thought it was fun and wanted to run some more.

Incidentally that's the last time I ran.

That's my experience. YMMV.

TunaAndBikes
10-10-2017, 11:15 AM
I usually run in the winter and used to be part of a track team, so i'd consider myself to have a decent running background...
But, I haven't ran in about 9 months and jesus was I was having a hard time.
My overall experience was as follows

Forgotten, unused muscles filling up with lead [✓]
I forgot if you don't run you walk, albeit sweatier [✓]
I forgot I hate running why did I sign myself up for this [✓]

Despite all this, I'd like to do it under 50 minutes, so I'll keep on training, I still have a few weeks in front of me!

redir
10-10-2017, 02:35 PM
I don't think it's a very good idea at all. You might not be able to walk for days afterwards. Some people can get away with doing things like that but most can't.

PQJ
10-10-2017, 02:46 PM
When is the ‘race’? If you are already reasonably fit and have some previous running experience, you should be able to ‘train’ for this quite easily, in two or so weeks. I suggest starting with a three mile run at easy pace. A few days later do four miles, also at easy pace. Then for your next two or three runs, do five miles at easy pace. Voila. You should be ‘trained’ enough for a six miler at easy pace.

ultraman6970
10-10-2017, 04:17 PM
10 k is like 6 miles... just dont go super fast and you will finish it.

weisan
10-10-2017, 04:23 PM
Is it ever ok to do any form of exercise without some kind of warm up or prep work?

10k is 10k.

Mark McM
10-10-2017, 04:23 PM
http://mudrunguide-codedrobotllc.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/barney-running.jpg

Matthew
10-10-2017, 04:28 PM
If you don't train at all you will be sore as hell after. As others have said, different muscles, etc. A friend who is an avid runner got me to start running again after years off. Number one she dropped me like a bad habit, number two I could barely walk the next day or two. Very sore quads, etc. I would at least get in a few short runs to prepare. But I am 50 so maybe my body is much different now.

donevwil
10-10-2017, 04:38 PM
From my experience, and FWIW, it is FAR easier for a runner of 10ks to ride a century than a rider of centuries to run a 10k.

mistermo
10-10-2017, 04:40 PM
This.

Was a runner, then pretty much gave it up for cycling in 2006. My daughter was home for a week a few yrs ago and asked if I wanted to go out to run with her. I was riding 5K miles a year at that time at a lively pace. But... I hadn't run at all for over a year. She's fast, runs a lot... I kept up for a couple of miles then had to actually walk home due to quad pain in both legs. I was quite sore for several days afterwards.

So... train a bit beforehand, or run at a slower pace.

Of course, I was around 55 at that time... if you're younger YMMV.

This. You'll be amazed at how different the muscle groups are. I think runners make better cyclists than the other way around.

Way back, when i was a very good runner, some running friends and rode our bikes to to Canada, from Mexico. Upon arriving in Canada, we learned of a 5K race and reasoned we were in good shape from the daily, month long ride.

WRONG! While all three of us finished top 5, we all reported that our muscles began to seize around the 2 mile mark (of 3.1). I've never been so sore. All three of us were still limping, even a week later.

MesiJezi
10-10-2017, 04:41 PM
I usually run in the winter and used to be part of a track team, so i'd consider myself to have a decent running background...
But, I haven't ran in about 9 months and jesus was I was having a hard time.
My overall experience was as follows

Forgotten, unused muscles filling up with lead [✓]
I forgot if you don't run you walk, albeit sweatier [✓]
I forgot I hate running why did I sign myself up for this [✓]

Despite all this, I'd like to do it under 50 minutes, so I'll keep on training, I still have a few weeks in front of me!

I can relate... I used to run, but then I got a road bike. After a long time off, it always takes me a couple weeks of consistent running to get back to the point where my organs don't feel like they're slamming themselves into my ribs like psych hospital crazies and my legs remember how to move quickly not in a circle. I think if you run more than a mile and up to a 5k twice a week before your event you might even be able to have fun the day of.

kppolich
10-10-2017, 05:19 PM
You can wing a 10k, hell anyone in reasonable should be able to finish in under 45 minutes (~9 min miles) completely un-run-trained. I would say anyone can wing a 10 miler if they wrap their head around it.

Frankwurst
10-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Well? The approach I would take is train. Not like you plan on doing it for sport on a regular basis but put some base miles in. If you do the run and finish feeling good and think "gee I probably could have done that without any training" is a hell of alot better than doing the run and are sore and miserable for a few days and think "gee I wish I would have put in a few base miles". :beer:

wc1934
10-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Bad idea to attempt a 10K without any training.
IMO running is more difficult than riding. If you have not run before (but have logged a bunch of miles on the bike) I would still suggest you will have a difficult time - unless you just plan on walking.
Why not just run a few miles each day building a base until the event?

Seramount
10-10-2017, 05:57 PM
You can wing a 10k, hell anyone in reasonable should be able to finish in under 45 minutes (~9 min miles) completely un-run-trained. I would say anyone can wing a 10 miler if they wrap their head around it.

your math is flawed...

9 x 6.2 = 55.8 min

a non-runner that can do a 45-min 10K is a rare animal.

moose8
10-10-2017, 07:28 PM
I would imagine you can do it and be ok, but my experience has been when I train for specific runs it's just a lot more fun. First half marathon I did without any training because I injured my IT-band like a month before and it was a flat half (NYC half) and it was not a very fun or satisfying experience. Next two I trained quite a bit and it was actually fun, though I was sore for a few days after each since I ran harder than I trained.

The other factor is the difficulty of the course - flat running is pretty easy relative to a hilly course. It's kind of like biking like that - not all centuries are created equal.

dustyrider
10-10-2017, 08:39 PM
It was a long slow day for our cross country team yesterday, so ended up I running a 10k with an average pace of ~8:40 a mile. We were shooting for time on our feet rather than distance. At that pace you’re not racing so much as finishing. If you don’t really work your heart rate for extended periods while cycling, and aren’t really racing, maybe slowing the pace up a minute, something like 9:40 a mile, might work for your cycling cardio. Attempting to race a 10k without having run could mean anything really. Results may vary and all that!

How your body reacts will be uniquely yours!
I run a lot this time of year. I ran 7x2 race intervals today and worked out my core, tomorrow is a slow short run(2ish miles) followed by a timed 5k(race pace) run on Thursday, and then...:)

kppolich
10-10-2017, 09:02 PM
your math is flawed...

9 x 6.2 = 55.8 min

a non-runner that can do a 45-min 10K is a rare animal.

Doh! work brain on my part. Under an hour and you are home free!

wc1934
10-10-2017, 09:14 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I rarely contradict but the above is dead wrong. You can not wing a 10k let alone 10 miles - unless you are dont care about time and walk to the finish.

kppolich
10-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I rarely contradict but the above is dead wrong. You can not wing a 10k let alone 10 miles - unless you are dont care about time and walk to the finish.

Politely - yes anyone in decent shape (meaning the OP with bike fitness) can handle roughly 1 hour of running with conservative pacing. 250lb Joe Schmo off the couch- probably not.

Meisen
10-10-2017, 11:24 PM
I watched a very fit, pro-ish cyclist run a local 5k next to me a few years ago. It wasn't pretty. 21:XX and he was a hurting moon unit by the end. But he did it, ran sub 7:00 pace on no running whatsoever. I think most fit cyclists could wing something slower.

Doug Fattic
10-10-2017, 11:45 PM
Some years ago when I was 40 some cycling friends and I signed up to do a 10K Turkey Trot. We didn't get around to training like we planned and then realized that doing any running a few days before the run would just make us sore during the Trot. I was in decent cycling shape but near the end some of my leg muscles were complaining a lot. In fact I thought they might give out on me. I don't remember my exact time but I think it was around 47/8 minutes. Coming back to the house I could barely lift my leg enough to get up the one step on the back porch. The next few days I was extremely sore.