PDA

View Full Version : Buying cables/housing in bulk?

ravdg316
10-09-2017, 02:33 PM
I've grown attached to Dura Ace cables and housing. Any recommendations for buying these in bulk? Or shop rolls of equivalent quality brands? Thanks!

bikinchris
10-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Any shop should be able to sell "file boxes" of bulk cable and or housing. But they are big and not cheap. Shift cable file boxes can be hundreds of cables.

ravdg316
10-09-2017, 02:39 PM
Thanks -- is it cheaper than buying them for single bikes though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saab2000
10-09-2017, 02:45 PM
This would literally be a lifetime's supply of cables and housing it would seem. While they're a wear item, they don't wear that quickly.

Additionally, I've found that buying a lifetime's supply of something leads to a dump sale later as my tastes or technology have moved on.

bikinchris
10-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Thanks -- is it cheaper than buying them for single bikes though?

For your average person's lifetime, yes it is cheaper to buy a smaller quantity of cables or housing. Technically, it is cheaper to buy in bulk. But if you're buying cables and housing you're not going to use, it's a waste of money.

kramnnim
10-09-2017, 03:14 PM
I bought a file box of SRAM stainless inner cables if anyone wants to buy a bundle of 10-25+

Jaybee
10-09-2017, 03:52 PM
For an intermediate solution between buying single bike kit and more than you could ever use, I've never had an issue heading down to the LBS and asking for 3-4m of both kinds of housing and the inner wire for 2-3 bikes.

Of course, I still have enough for a bike sitting around from the last time I did this, 4 years ago.

chrismoustache
10-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Jagwire sells various packaged lengths of housing. I'll usually pick up a 10 M roll every once in a while. It keeps me on track when I decide to switch bars or bits, and it's handy when helping friends with builds/repairs.

mt2u77
10-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Swap meets are perfect for this-- I don't think I've ever paid more than $1 for good stainless cables, and I've picked up premium housing super cheap as well. I only buy a few years in advance at most. The sad reality, at least for the foreseeable future, is that there will always be a failed bike shop liquidating their stock.

msngr
10-10-2017, 12:25 PM
I have done this solely to have a good supply at home, not for saving money. I did the same recently with cork tape.

Happy I did, too. I have a lot of bikes and in the past not having those things handy (my sponsor shop is hard for me to get to) has stopped me from keeping them dialed in.

FriarQuade
10-11-2017, 12:28 AM
The Dura Ace cables you like are only available in single bike kits. You might be able to get a qty discount though. The Shimano file boxes of bull cables and housing are not at a Dura Ace quality level.

Pelican
10-11-2017, 01:15 AM
The sad reality, at least for the foreseeable future, is that there will always be a failed bike shop liquidating their stock.

This is how I ended up with three 50M(!) boxes of Jagwire cable housing. I'm putting it to good use though!

oldpotatoe
10-11-2017, 08:56 AM
The Dura Ace cables you like are only available in single bike kits. You might be able to get a qty discount though. The Shimano file boxes of bull cables and housing are not at a Dura Ace quality level.

QBP has a 20 pack of the DA/polymer der cables...not cheap tho..about $185 wholesale(yikes!!)

loxx0050
10-11-2017, 04:46 PM
I ended up buying a 25' (or was it 10 meter) Jagwire small bulk shifter housing roll. Needed it to replace the housing for my TT bike with internal routed housing. The Jagwire road kit with cables & housing wasn't long enough for the entire bike (just the front really). The the bulk hosing roll wasn't that expensive actually (paid $20ish on Amazon for it). Now I have spares for the next time and just need to buy cables only. Didn't need fancy housings/cables for this bike since the routing is pretty straightforward and bar end shifters don't have those sharp bends like Shimano STI's do.

The brake kit actually was plenty of cable though (since front calipers don't need such long lengths of housing).

weisan
10-11-2017, 04:56 PM
I know some pals would frown on this and I have mentioned this before. I get my lifetime supply of cables from here (https://hardwareonlinestore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=79616&virtuemart_category_id=86101&gclid=CjwKCAjwgvfOBRB7EiwAeP7ehttT1aoyqMW6eKzHNIUI SyGvDTAtzjmmsTOmdRKCo7vLIPNJi0IdqhoCXEUQAvD_BwE&ppcsclkid=4ENQdpr9zhxi&ppcstrkid=1332290283&ppcsu=xhg7f5djqitnahs).

It costs me less than $4 for a complete set (enough for a full build) and I have used them on all my bikes. They worked fine and at that price, I can overhaul or rebuild as many times as I like. Obviously, if you gonna compare it to Jagwire or the other brand names, this option won't be viable for you.

ravdg316
10-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the options guys. For my builds I definitely want to stick with the higher quality stuff, but it does seem much more cost effective for my needs to just buy singles. However, any other comparable options I should try?

loxx0050
10-11-2017, 05:51 PM
I know some pals would frown on this and I have mentioned this before. I get my lifetime supply of cables from here (https://hardwareonlinestore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=79616&virtuemart_category_id=86101&gclid=CjwKCAjwgvfOBRB7EiwAeP7ehttT1aoyqMW6eKzHNIUI SyGvDTAtzjmmsTOmdRKCo7vLIPNJi0IdqhoCXEUQAvD_BwE&ppcsclkid=4ENQdpr9zhxi&ppcstrkid=1332290283&ppcsu=xhg7f5djqitnahs).

It costs me less than $4 for a complete set (enough for a full build) and I have used them on all my bikes. They worked fine and at that price, I can overhaul or rebuild as many times as I like. Obviously, if you gonna compare it to Jagwire or the other brand names, this option won't be viable for you.

Ok, I wished you would've posted this info a month ago. I was buying cheap cable/housing sets to replace the ones on my wife's old clunker of bike (a good of steel Schwinn with a friction shifters, 27" wheels I believe). Was looking around for something that cheap. Still ended up paying about $18 total for both sets (Shimanos Brake and Shifter kits). Different color housing even but I really don't care for this bike and the wife won't either.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2017, 07:15 AM

PLUS 11s shimano really almost 'requires' their way slick, poly coated inner wires. Non big $ der wires work but there is a quite a difference in shift 'feel'..

weisan
10-12-2017, 04:12 PM
PLUS 11s shimano really almost 'requires' their way slick, poly coated inner wires. Non big $ der wires work but there is a quite a difference in shift 'feel'..

Rode the $10k WOW factor bike - still prefer the down tube-dented sub-$1000 Giant Defy alum bike that I picked up from the dumpster

Drove my friend's 60k Infiniti Q50 - still prefer my 243k miles manual 1995 Honda Accord that drives like a dream

Clamped my bike on seat post, dropout, every known part, you name it - still prefer the top tube, zero issue in all 30 years of wrenching esp. if you know what you are doing

Used the special 11s cable/housing that Shimano provided - still prefer the $4 cable set that I used on all my bikes, 9s, 10s, 11s, difference not enough for me

Rode my Sachs on 700cc wheels - still prefer the 650b configuration, the fatter set of tires is better suited and give me just the right feelin' I am looking for

Sorry my personal experience differs from yours.

I am weird that way.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Rode the $10k WOW factor bike - still prefer the down tube-dented sub-$1000 Giant Defy alum bike that I picked up from the dumpster

Drove my friend's 60k Infiniti Q50 - still prefer my 243k miles manual 1995 Honda Accord that drives like a dream

Clamped my bike on seat post, dropout, every known part, you name it - still prefer the top tube, zero issue in all 30 years of wrenching esp. if you know what you are doing

Used the special 11s cable/housing that Shimano provided - still prefer the $4 cable set that I used on all my bikes, 9s, 10s, 11s, difference not enough for me

Rode my Sachs on 700cc wheels - still prefer the 650b configuration, the fatter set of tires is better suited and give me just the right feelin' I am looking for

Sorry my personal experience differs from yours.

I am weird that way.

Long week?:confused:

weisan
10-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Long week?:confused:

No, actually, things are going well. No hard feelings. Just sayin'.

ikecycke
10-13-2017, 10:32 AM
While I won't go so far down the rabbit hole as to use the $4 for complete set cables, I buy my inner cables in semi-bulk (10-12 of each at a time) for about $1/each from China via eBay. They state they're Jagwire, but who knows. Then I pick up 50' boxes of decent Jagwire housing.

I prefer to use this stuff over the Shimano because it doesn't have the coating on the wire that starts to fray and peel if you dare to look at it funny...

Bradford
10-13-2017, 05:55 PM
As an experiment, I bought 25 feet each of grey jagwire shifter and brake housing, then picked up a bunch of cables from REI on closeout. Now I just peel off what I need for housing, grab some cables off he rack, and I’m good. When I work my way through, I’ll just refill my stock. I’m much happier then when I was buying the kits.

kgreene10
10-13-2017, 08:20 PM

Funny that I haven't noticed a difference, at least with the shop inner cables. I'm quite happy not to have noticed since I seem to notice practically everything else and become annoyed by low quality tires, brake blocks, bar tape, and coffee.

honestmachinery
10-13-2017, 09:51 PM
Funny that I haven't noticed a difference, at least with the shop inner cables. I'm quite happy not to have noticed since I seem to notice practically everything else and become annoyed by low quality tires, brake blocks, bar tape, and coffee.Yeah, coffee matters, but I am happy with a big file box of brake housing I bought 20 years ago on the cheap. Careful trimming grinding, and ferrules do the trick. Shifter housing is touchier, but seems to last longer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kgreene10
10-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Yeah, coffee matters, but I am happy with a big file box of brake housing I bought 20 years ago on the cheap. Careful trimming grinding, and ferrules do the trick. Shifter housing is touchier, but seems to last longer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Apologies for thread drift, but what's a good way to square off housing without power equipment (unless there's a cheap attachment for my power drill)?

dave thompson
10-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Apologies for thread drift, but what's a good way to square off housing without power equipment (unless there's a cheap attachment for my power drill)?

I cut housing with an old cable inserted, using a Shimano cable cutter. After the cut and removal of old cable. I use a good flat file to square and smooth the end.

dgauthier
10-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Thanks for all the options guys. For my builds I definitely want to stick with the higher quality stuff, but it does seem much more cost effective for my needs to just buy singles. However, any other comparable options I should try?

QBP has a 20 pack of the DA/polymer der cables...not cheap tho..about $185 wholesale(yikes!!)

Old Potatoe's suggestion comes to less than $9.25 a pack. Quite a deal. However, that's 10 to 20 years worth of cables, unless you're really into recabling your bike.

Could you talk a few friends to go in on a bulk purchase with you?

Ralph
10-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Hi quality Campy Specific cables and housing is so cheap from places like Ribble and others, when I order a years supply of tires, tubes, chains, cassettes, handle bar tape, cables and housing, etc....no need to buy in bulk.

Gummee
10-14-2017, 03:03 PM

The Jagwire polished wires work really well too. ...but anything less 'slick' has problems.

M

oldpotatoe
10-15-2017, 07:28 AM
The Jagwire polished wires work really well too. ...but anything less 'slick' has problems.

M

agree...the Jagwire inner wires, the slick, stainless ones are really 'slick'..DA about $14 from........UK..:)