PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear - Showers Pass - Rainshield?

rasterdogs
09-15-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm preparing for the season that passes for winter here in Northern Califorina. I'm pondering what rain jacket to get.

Does anyone here have any experience or opinions about the Rainshield O2 jacket (http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2006/06/good-gear-for-bad-times.html) and/or the Showers Pass Cenury jacket (http://www.showerspass.com/cart/index.php?cPath=21_25) ?

Thanks,

JimD
Santa Clara, CA

Climb01742
09-15-2006, 11:00 AM
i find the showers pass jacket to be very good. even in downpours, it works better than any jacket i've used. and it's lightweight. excellent construction quality too.

wanderingwheel
09-15-2006, 11:15 AM
I think the Rainshield is the best rain jacket on the market, dollar for dollar. $35?! It's not bulky, like some of the more weather-proof jackets out there, and can be stuffed into a jersey pocket or a large seat pack. It has never been overwhelmed by the weather, even on 200+ mile rides with constant heavy rain, but it is very had to overheat in. In snow and sleet, I've been perfectly happy with a normal jersey, arm warmers, and the jacket. It may look and feel flimsy, but I've been using mine for at least 4 years and it's still the only jacket I reach for.

Ray
09-15-2006, 11:16 AM
i find the showers pass jacket to be very good. even in downpours, it works better than any jacket i've used. and it's lightweight. excellent construction quality too.
I have the Showers Pass century jacket too and have had Burley rain gear in the past. The Burley was phenominal in terms of venting - better than anything else I've worn or seen. But it was bulky, kind of stiff fabric, and a heavy (not an issue for me, but maybe for others). The Showers Pass jacket vents adequately, but not in the same league as the Burley, but is quite light, has a softer feel, and is easier to pack in a jersey pocket or seat pack. A good jacket - kept me dry in pretty good rain the other day.

No experience with rainshield.

-Ray

dauwhe
09-15-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm very pleased with the Showers Pass Elite jacket, which has seen hundreds of miles of rain (sometimes in a single ride!). Venting doesn't seem quite as good as the Burley, but the fabric breathes better, I think. I'm much happier using the Showers Pass even when it's not raining (cold and wind)... The Burley would drive me nuts in those conditions.

Dave