PDA

View Full Version : Super Record v Chorus Shifters...hands on experinces

Tommasini53
10-09-2017, 07:39 AM
I've read the literature trying to find any operational differences between the SR and Chorus shifters (2018, Mechanical). The official lit didn't provide a good discussion of this topic other than saying "smoother".

So if any forumites have come across a good review OR if you had the joy of hands-on experience with the two levels of shifters please share your thoughts.
I understand the build difference; lighter materials and a few cut outs to shave grams. I don't have a clear sense of operational differences (if any are noticeable).

I'm ordering some new parts and curious if there is good reason to spend the extra $ for the SR shift levers. I'm sticking with Chorus for cranks and derailleurs. :beer::beer:

uber
10-09-2017, 08:01 AM
On my personal bikes, I have found SR to be the smoothest (with the exception of Record 10 whose smoothnes was wonderful). I recently tried a friend's 2017 Chorus which was as smooth as anything else I have tried. My answer is, I have no idea. Hah.

AngryScientist
10-09-2017, 08:28 AM
have not tried the SR stuff in the newest version, but am running both record and chorus shifters in the latest iteration. there is zero discernible difference between the two. there is absolutely no way i would be able to tell the difference on the bike if i didnt just know.

oldpotatoe
10-09-2017, 08:38 AM
I've read the literature trying to find any operational differences between the SR and Chorus shifters (2018, Mechanical). The official lit didn't provide a good discussion of this topic other than saying "smoother".

So if any forumites have come across a good review OR if you had the joy of hands-on experience with the two levels of shifters please share your thoughts.
I understand the build difference; lighter materials and a few cut outs to shave grams. I don't have a clear sense of operational differences (if any are noticeable).

I'm ordering some new parts and curious if there is good reason to spend the extra $ for the SR shift levers. I'm sticking with Chorus for cranks and derailleurs. :beer::beer:

Same shift guts, same der design, same inner wires and housing. Only differences are things like a titanium thru bolt, graphics....same feel.

DRZRM
10-09-2017, 08:46 AM
Slight weight difference right? I've run Record 10, Chorus 10, Record 11, and SR 11. No discernible difference. In theory, I'd save my money and run Chorus everywhere, in practice, when I saw a great deal for SR I jumped.

Mzilliox
10-09-2017, 08:50 AM
I have all 3 and they all do the job the same. smooth shifts come from smooth mechanics.

AngryScientist
10-09-2017, 09:05 AM
smooth shifts come from smooth mechanics.

:beer:

FlashUNC
10-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Zero difference other than being really.

macaroon
10-09-2017, 10:59 AM
The SR are definitely lighter, you can tell when you pick them up. Aside from that, they're the same.

OtayBW
10-09-2017, 11:24 AM
I currently run Chorus 11, SR 11, Record 10, and Centaur 10 and without a doubt (and for some unknown reason...), the Record 10 has the most decisive 'click' when shifting. I rebuilt the right shifter on the Record 10, but it was like that both before and after the rebuild. I also rebuilt the Chorus 11 with no change. They all shift beautifully, but the Record 10 definitely has the most 'authoritative' mechanism of all my Campy.....

R3awak3n
10-09-2017, 11:38 AM
I don't have 2015+ record or SR but I have chorus and its fantastic. Older gen I had chorus, record, super record and even athena and chorus felt the same to me as record and SR. I think the 2015+ is even better than last gen, I love the new chorus, its just that good.

Duende
10-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Have to disagree with folks here. Choru shifters are great but take more force to shift than my 2014 or 2017 record levers.

I can easily activate the thumbshifter with my pinky while keeping my hands on the tops with my record levers. With the chorus, I just don’t have enough pinky strength.

Just my .02.

stackie
10-09-2017, 03:21 PM
I've had both and could discern no difference. Went SR due to rusting of hardware on Chorus bits. Not on the shifters, but brakes mostly. That's my plug for SR if you live somewhere where rust is a problem.

Jon

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Run Centaur 10 alloy (both shape shifters, UT and ST crank/BB), Chorus 10 alloy, Chorus 10 carbon, Record 10 carbon, Chorus 11 and SR11 (both gen.) All are great but my favorite is C10 alloy, and R10 carbon best "feel" in the shifters. SR11 is lighter than Chorus11, function almost identical, imo. Weak link, imo on Chorus11 is the brakes. Have 4 c11 bikes, all with Record/SR calipers, best bang, feel, function and aesthetics, imo.

oldguy00
10-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Duh, ya'ls forgot about the cult bearings on the SR cranks!!!
Thus, when in the workstand, your cranks will spin faster/longer... :)

Anyone remember when record 10 came out with the limited availability red version that had a slightly stiffer spring and half the forum had to have them cause the jerk said so? :)

93KgBike
10-10-2017, 12:42 PM
I used that exact group to upgrade my '84 Ciocc CLX. I was not using the internet for my bike addiction at the time, so while I perceive the sarcastic tone about the gruppo, it doesn't make any sense.

I still train on my Ciocc, and find that Record Peloton shifts under power, both in and out of the saddle, flawlessly - almost psionically. By contrast, I recently raced my new old CSI with Athena 11, which required real finesse to shift while sprinting uphill and then cresting to the big ring, almost like riding an IGH.

I love both bikes and setups, each in its own way. Each gets miles from me, and have specific purposes that make sense for me.

oldpotatoe
10-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Duh, ya'ls forgot about the cult bearings on the SR cranks!!!
Thus, when in the workstand, your cranks will spin faster/longer... :)

Anyone remember when record 10 came out with the limited availability red version that had a slightly stiffer spring and half the forum had to have them cause the jerk said so? :)

And that stiffness was mostly due to going from the fiber spring carrier back to the metal one..springs were stiffer too..a little.

cgolvin
10-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Have to disagree with folks here. Choru shifters are great but take more force to shift than my 2014 or 2017 record levers.

I can easily activate the thumbshifter with my pinky while keeping my hands on the tops with my record levers. With the chorus, I just don’t have enough pinky strength.

Just my .02.

Appreciate the heads up — now I know that should I opt for Chorus in my new build I'll also have to add pinky strength training to my fitness regimen. (No sarcasm intended, just joshin'.)

weiwentg
10-10-2017, 02:49 PM
And that stiffness was mostly due to going from the fiber spring carrier back to the metal one..springs were stiffer too..a little.

This is funny. I actually went and got the 10s Record Ultra (?) shifters because I was a bit of a weight weenie back then. :eek:

A few g-spring changes later, a bike store proposed just replacing the carbon spring carrier with the stock steel one because it was more durable; I think one of the prongs on the carbon carrier was cracking anyway. I agreed. I honestly didn't notice a difference in the spring feel. I made one joke about how I could feel the bike pulling a bit to the right on account of the additional 10g (??).

oldpotatoe
10-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Fiber/resin spring carrier much more durable than the pot metal one..First gen metal one broke posts, little shoulders added, then cracked at edge of shoudlder(always on RH side). Solution was fiber one and also modifying the back cover so cover didn't push against post when lever on hbar. Any shop who said the metal one was more durable didn't overhaul or repair many of these..I am at about a 'zillion' in the 25 years I have been overhauling ERGO levers..

Probably easily over a thousand done. :)

Mark McM
10-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Fiber/resin spring carrier much more durable than the pot metal one..First gen metal one broke posts, little shoulders added, then cracked at edge of shoudlder(always on RH side). Solution was fiber one and also modifying the back cover so cover didn't push against post when lever on hbar. Any shop who said the metal one was more durable didn't overhaul or repair many of these..I am at about a 'zillion' in the 25 years I have been overhauling ERGO levers..

Probably easily over a thousand done. :)

I don't question that the fiber/resin spring carrier is more durable. But to me, it also feels like it give 'softer' clicks (the extra elasticity is probably why it is more durable than the brittle metal version). But I actually prefer the firmer feel of the metal spring carrier, and will continue to use them, even if it means shorter service intervals.

thwart
10-11-2017, 10:57 AM
I don't question that the fiber/resin spring carrier is more durable. But to me, it also feels like it give 'softer' clicks (the extra elasticity is probably why it is more durable than the brittle metal version). But I actually prefer the firmer feel of the metal spring carrier, and will continue to use them, even if it means shorter service intervals.
Good to know I'm not the only one who felt this difference. I also prefer the prior version.

Durability vs that distinctive feel...

oldpotatoe
10-11-2017, 12:46 PM
Good to know I'm not the only one who felt this difference. I also prefer the prior version.

Durability vs that distinctive feel...

Yup metal one definitely more ‘clicky’...