PDA

View Full Version : Tool box question

quickfeet
10-09-2017, 07:34 AM
Anyone know off the top of their head what the model pelican case Pedro's uses for their master tool kit?

chiasticon
10-09-2017, 08:13 AM
having seen both in person, albeit several years apart, I'm pretty sure it's a 1600.

quickfeet
10-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Based on measurements that is close but may be bigger

Bruce K
10-09-2017, 03:52 PM
PM Skyrider

He us a team mechanic with a couple of tool boxes - main set for traveling and another for spares/shop

He might be able to give you some options

BK

FriarQuade
10-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Pedros box isn't an actual Pelican so the numbers don't line up exactly. The 1400 and 1600 Pelican boxes are pretty good choices for building a custom box though. Personally I use a 1400 with Platt pallets and a welded aluminum divider in the bottom.

If you are going to build a bigger box and weight isn't going to be a focus just get something with wheel built into it. Makes life so much easier.

Bruce K
10-10-2017, 10:42 AM
I did talk with Skyrider and he is NOT a Pelican fan.

Again, I would PM him as he has 2 of these types of boxes.

BK

quickfeet
10-10-2017, 10:54 AM
I actually ended up just ordering a 1400, and I think the closest pelican to the Pedro's is a 1520. The Pedro's box may be a non series of some sort.

My goal is to build a lighter travel box with just the key items. My Pedro's box has been awesome but I find myself not taking it simply because it is so heavy.

I wonder what the dislike for pelican is about though.

Friar, I love all your tools, and need to send you an email about something soon.

shovelhd
10-10-2017, 11:23 AM

It's probably unrelated, but as an employer, they have a very poor reputation around here.

-dustin
10-10-2017, 11:41 AM
i think i've got somewhere around 12 - 15 Pelican cases for all sorts of stuff-n-things. the 1400 is perfect for a slimmed down event box. or if you're working for a team and can skip a bunch of unnecessary tools. i have a 1400 with some CH Ellis pallets that I trimmed to size. that's got more travel in it than anything else.

chiasticon
10-10-2017, 12:02 PM
I wonder what the dislike for pelican is about though.same. my employer uses them to ship equipment worth tens of thousands of dollars, all over the world. I can't say there are no issues, because I'm simply not in the know where that's concerned; but we've been using them for many years for a reason. and these are serviced into harsh environments; construction, off-shore drilling... things like that. they're not babied in any way, and they live. I'd put my tools in 'em :cool:

FriarQuade
10-10-2017, 01:09 PM
I actually ended up just ordering a 1400, and I think the closest pelican to the Pedro's is a 1520. The Pedro's box may be a non series of some sort.

My goal is to build a lighter travel box with just the key items. My Pedro's box has been awesome but I find myself not taking it simply because it is so heavy.

Friar, I love all your tools, and need to send you an email about something soon.

If you want to build a light setup, skip the box. They are heavy even when empty and a hurtle to get the weight down. On top of that nothing in them really needs the protection that a Pelican or comparable box offers. The last big year I spent on the road I worked out of a tool roll and was at around ~15 pounds. That was for a specific team so there was a lot of stuff I didn't need to support.

quickfeet
10-10-2017, 01:48 PM
My biggest desire for some sort of box is the spares stash. I'll probably have a few hangers, chain parts, etc for mtb/cx season. As well as enough non specific tools to support a few smallish events through the course of the season.

-dustin
10-10-2017, 01:51 PM
My biggest desire for some sort of box is the spares stash. I'll probably have a few hangers, chain parts, etc for mtb/cx season. As well as enough non specific tools to support a few smallish events through the course of the season.
....you might end up wanting a bigger box than the 1400. speaking from experience. this is how i ended up with a 1510.

quickfeet
10-10-2017, 07:02 PM
I'm hoping this works out, I've started listing it out and the list is getting long quickly!

Friar, do you have a picture of your box posted anywhere? Thanks all

simplemind
10-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Slightly off subject, but I'm not sure what to do with my Platt case. The pallets are disintegrating, and I found they weren't really fitting my bike specific tools.
Can you recommend pallets that work well for bike tools? I tried cutting up perforated foam, but very disappointed with it's functionality. Better to just dump the tools in the case and sort as I need. ;)

FriarQuade
10-10-2017, 09:56 PM
I'm hoping this works out, I've started listing it out and the list is getting long quickly!

Friar, do you have a picture of your box posted anywhere? Thanks all

I'm sure there's some around the internet somewhere but I can't think of where they might be. PBMA (http://www.probma.org/tools-of-the-trade.html) has a series of photos of travel boxes on their site. I'll put some up on our instagram soon of my personal box.

quickfeet
10-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Alright, let the tiny tool box build begin! Gonna try some leather work on this too. I want to make some custom pallets since it seems like no one makes a stock one small enough.

chiasticon
10-13-2017, 06:49 AM
nice! excited to see what you come up with.

personally, I'm into the tool roll scene. got a Carhart one for like $20 from Amazon. works great for traveling, CX races, MTB rides, etc. but then I only need it to service my bikes, not any possible bike.

-dustin
10-13-2017, 09:07 AM
That's an empty 1400.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4465/37592982772_c066af7d83_c.jpg