PDA

View Full Version : Paint chips or carbon damage?

SolidSnake03
10-09-2017, 07:18 AM
Hi all! So I'm looking at buying a used Kestrel EMS 200 from a guy near me. He has some pictures up online but wanted to get your take if it's just paint chipping or actual damage around the bottom bracket area. There are some paint chips around the dropouts and around the bottle cage bolts.

Normally I would go look in person but when I say nearby I mean 6hr drive....

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, rest of the bike looks great and no signs of crashes or other damage, really just the BB area I'm concerned with.

Thanks!

StephenCL
10-09-2017, 07:59 AM
That's just paint from when the bib was torqued in. That would be my initial assement.

raven
10-09-2017, 08:00 AM
Awesome bike back in the day but...that bottom bracket shell is loose or will soon be. There's even a small discolored spot (rust?) around the 11 o'clock position. Early Kestrels were known to have this exact issue. Probably not worth fixing either.

FlashUNC
10-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Run, don't walk.

AngryScientist
10-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Run, don't walk.

agreed. if that was a bike you already owned, maybe there are some steps you can take o evaluate what's going on, but for a bike 6 hours away that you are thinking about paying for - no way. not worth your time and headache.

SolidSnake03
10-09-2017, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the great feedback guys! Really appreciate it, planning to pass on this one then.

I was googling stuff about these Kestrels and it looked a little fishy to me since I'd found a bit about bb issues, glad to know this is one to skip on. Saves me a long drive and some cash.

:)