PDA

View Full Version : R685 levers stretching out my cockpit?

d_douglas
10-08-2017, 10:22 AM
I took out my cx / adventure bike for a ride yesterday - maybe I was in a critical mood, but I felt like the new Ultegra hydro levers had me too stretched out.

I recently switched from Campy Athena to Ultegra to get better braking and I just feel like the bike is too long now to have good control when off-road.

As the bike was custom for me and I have always used a 110mm stem, I can only assume the levers are longer and that using the hoods pushes me out.

Is the solution to go to a 100mm stem? Jeez, that sounds short.

I was dreaming of a ti stem, so if I am going to do it, now is the time...

rwerkudara
10-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Definitely longer. Approximately 1cm if I remember. When getting fitted for a frame, I was deciding hydro vs. mechanical and I was told the reach would be slightly longer with shimano hydro levers. I believe 9120 shifters have shorter reach, fwiw.

toosahn
10-08-2017, 10:54 AM
What's wrong with running a shorter stem?

ColnagoFan
10-08-2017, 11:18 AM
The older non-series are for sure longer than the inline stuff. I think with the "new" Dura Ace & Ultegra, they have fixed that. I ended up finding a bar with shorter reach when I had the 785s. I preferred that vs. a shorter stem which would have impacted the bar top reach too...

oldpotatoe
10-08-2017, 03:31 PM
I took out my cx / adventure bike for a ride yesterday - maybe I was in a critical mood, but I felt like the new Ultegra hydro levers had me too stretched out.

I recently switched from Campy Athena to Ultegra to get better braking and I just feel like the bike is too long now to have good control when off-road.

As the bike was custom for me and I have always used a 110mm stem, I can only assume the levers are longer and that using the hoods pushes me out.

Is the solution to go to a 100mm stem? Jeez, that sounds short.

I was dreaming of a ti stem, so if I am going to do it, now is the time...

Get a cheapo 100mm stem and see. The levers are certainly longer. Doesn’t matter what it ‘looks’ like, what matters is how it ‘works’...

DRZRM
10-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Talked to my builder yesterday, and he said just like MTB stems are shorter with wider bars, you can do the same for gravel bikes.

He said with Shimano hydro levers, you go 1cm shorter and maybe 1 more for flaired drops (like a Salsa Cowchipper). I'm usually on a 120-30 stem on a road bike, we are going to try with a 100. He did it on his bike and feels like his turns on dirt are much more predictable.

MaraudingWalrus
10-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Similar boat, I think I might throw a 90 on one of my bikes and see how it works. Think it'll be better while I'm about two-two and a half extra fats right now...gotta lower the barriers to riding somehow...

choke
10-08-2017, 05:41 PM
What's wrong with running a shorter stem?For those that spend the majority of their time on the hoods, probably very little. But for those of us who use the tops and drops often then the reach will be shortened which is likely not a good thing.

hampco
10-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Shimano levers sit lower, too, so maybe take that into account as well. I love the way they work but just can't get them to fit my bikes.

bigbill
10-08-2017, 06:04 PM
I went with Salsa Cowbell bars because of the reach. It allowed me to keep my same stem setup. They are long.

Unpredictable
10-08-2017, 06:45 PM
I felt the longer hoods too.....I went with a one centimeter shorter stem and all was good again.

kohlboto
10-08-2017, 06:51 PM
Campy Hydro would solve your problem...

d_douglas
10-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Campy Hydro would solve your problem...

So cruel

kohlboto
10-08-2017, 07:49 PM
So cruel

you’ve gotta be cruel to be kind...
- Nick Lowe

fogrider
10-09-2017, 01:50 AM
the control actually feel better with a shorter stem...

oldpotatoe
10-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Shimano levers sit lower, too, so maybe take that into account as well. I love the way they work but just can't get them to fit my bikes.

Campagnolo H11 baby!!!

d_douglas
10-09-2017, 09:31 AM
On that note, I assume that the H11 levers are similarly long?

This Ultegra is nice, but my heart is in riding Campy. I need someone to sort out a fix for post mount frames though. Someone must be doing this?!

Pi Guy
10-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Like others have said the R685 are very much longer than regular levers, I'll agree with the 1cm that folks have stated. Luckily I feel they give me an extra position that I like.

While not Campy, and I wish they would do post mount too, the new R8020 levers could work. I remember reading they are supposed to be "normal" size and backward compatible. Perhaps someone here has some first hand intel?

Supposedly you could also use Magura calipers with H11 to go post mount w/ Campy...

Gummee
10-09-2017, 10:06 AM
You think the 685s are long? Try the 505s

Not only are they ugly, they're HUGE!

Then there's the TRP hydros... Nice thing about the TRP hydros is the built-in Di2 shifter hole

M