PDA

View Full Version : Trouble pairing Garmin 500 with Powertap SL+

exapkib
10-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Pretty much like the title says--recently inherited a Garmin 500 and a Powertap SL+ (from different sources), and haven't been able to get them to talk to each other. Seems that documentation specific to the Garmin is thin online (the joys of being a late adopter).

What do the flashing icons at the top of the Garmin screen mean? When I press "search" under the Ant+ power menu, it doesn't seem like it does anything . . .

This is a super basic question, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Gummee
10-08-2017, 09:54 AM
IIRC the 500 was kind of fiddly when it came to pairing devices to the unit.

I had a couple. They were all right. The newer units are much better. The 520 I have now has been awesome. So... as much as you don't want to hear it, I'd suggest a 520 and can that 500

M

exapkib
10-08-2017, 12:49 PM
IIRC the 500 was kind of fiddly when it came to pairing devices to the unit.

I had a couple. They were all right. The newer units are much better. The 520 I have now has been awesome. So... as much as you don't want to hear it, I'd suggest a 520 and can that 500

M

I'm determined to wrestle with this for a while before I give up.

A lot of my questions are profoundly basic. Anyone who has successfully paired these devices, what is the process? Tips? Tricks?

unterhausen
10-08-2017, 01:25 PM
sl+ is possibly not Ant+, not sure if that's your issue or not. This is my situation. They had a dongle to update it to Ant+. Not available now, they want to upgrade your hub for $350.

exapkib
10-08-2017, 01:39 PM
sl+ is possibly not Ant+, not sure if that's your issue or not. This is my situation. They had a dongle to update it to Ant+. Not available now, they want to upgrade your hub for $350.

Hmmm . . . I thought that sl+ was the first hub that was all completely ant+ compatible. Wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong about something. Looking through the manuals that are available on their website it seems to insinuate that all sl+ hubs are ant+ compatible. Any other insights into this question?

unterhausen
10-08-2017, 01:46 PM
you're right, I have an SL, which they promised would be ant+, but shipped for a year prior to the upgrade being available

shovelhd
10-09-2017, 09:34 AM
Hmmm . . . I thought that sl+ was the first hub that was all completely ant+ compatible. Wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong about something. Looking through the manuals that are available on their website it seems to insinuate that all sl+ hubs are ant+ compatible. Any other insights into this question?

All "+" models are ANT+, but there's nothing stopping someone from swapping a "+" end cap onto a non-ANT+ unit. I would try someone else's head unit and see if it pairs.

Also, did you wake up the Powertap hub first? What about the batteries? You have to use the silver oxide batteries, not a zinc air equivalent. They can't handle the power drain.

exapkib
10-09-2017, 09:55 AM
All "+" models are ANT+, but there's nothing stopping someone from swapping a "+" end cap onto a non-ANT+ unit. I would try someone else's head unit and see if it pairs.

Also, did you wake up the Powertap hub first? What about the batteries? You have to use the silver oxide batteries, not a zinc air equivalent. They can't handle the power drain.

I appreciate the info here--"waking up the hub" I assumed that a few revolutions of the crank would be enough. Is there more to it than that?

shovelhd
10-09-2017, 10:07 AM
I appreciate the info here--"waking up the hub" I assumed that a few revolutions of the crank would be enough. Is there more to it than that?

That should do it.